PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand weapon XP

Sludge
04-06-2013, 06:27 AM
So you can get higher skills in weapons, but I don't know what it does.

Does every weapon have its own XP? What if I have two assault rifles?

Can I get everynweapon to max skill?

I've seen people complaining about something that happens when a weapon is maxed out.. You stop gaining something?

Naytorin
04-06-2013, 06:36 AM
You level up the weapon type. Pistols, Bolt-Action Snipers, Pump Shotguns, etc. Rather like Proficiency in the first Borderlands, if you played that. I'm not sure about maxing out, but I think it has something to do with EGO rating.

Waeress
04-06-2013, 06:38 AM
Weapons also have it's own "xp bar". When it's filled the weapon gets an additional bonus.

Tayce
04-06-2013, 06:42 AM
If you check your stats menu you'll see the weapon skills.
They give you stuff like 1% faster reload and such.

Edit: apparently it might continue giving you skill when filled, but it gets a new ability.
Huh, I didn't know that it continued giving you skill.

Rinkydink
04-06-2013, 06:43 AM
Each weapon has a bar that fills based on how much damage you do with it, you can see it just below the weapon picture when you select it to look at the stats. Once you max out the bar, an extra effect will unlock like slightly faster reload speed or crit damage. Also once the bar is full you won't gain any more proficiency for that weapon type.

Weapon proficiency is separate, and provides extra effects for all weapons of that type as you level it up. This can be found on your stats screen. Basically switch out weapons when they max out, maybe keep them on hand for emergencies, and watch your skills and bonuses expand and improve!

Sludge
04-06-2013, 07:03 AM
Each weapon has a bar that fills based on how much damage you do with it, you can see it just below the weapon picture when you select it to look at the stats. Once you max out the bar, an extra effect will unlock like slightly faster reload speed or crit damage. Also once the bar is full you won't gain any more proficiency for that weapon type.

Weapon proficiency is separate, and provides extra effects for all weapons of that type as you level it up. This can be found on your stats screen. Basically switch out weapons when they max out, maybe keep them on hand for emergencies, and watch your skills and bonuses expand and improve!

That is exactly the explanation i was looking for. Thanks!

Maniacal
04-06-2013, 07:12 AM
It's an artificial way to make us need to look for more weapons. "oh my favorite guns are maxxed out, I better keep playing to look for different ones." Nothing wrong with this concept per se, but it not very elegant.

Rinkydink
04-06-2013, 07:21 AM
I've never had to look for weapons yet, by the time I'm maxed out on a weapon, I've usually got at least two or three options to switch to. If not, do a few of the encounter quests and arkfalls to get some keys, buy a lockbox and try out the contents.

It's not the most elegant system, but once I understood it, it has actually pushed me to try out injectors and rockets and other weapons away from my default stealthy sniping approach.

damaged
04-06-2013, 07:38 AM

Wait..

So after I max out a weapons "personal" xp, it no longer gives me xp for my global weapon skill?

So say I had an assault rifle with maxed out "personal" xp... and my AR skill is 3...if I continue using that exact AR I will not achieve a global AR skill of 4?

Rinkydink
04-06-2013, 07:47 AM
Yup, better switch out if you want to keep levelling up your proficiency. Weapons also seem to scale to your ego, so more recent finds will usually be better than your older weapons.

There is a help section in the intel tab on the radial menu, this covers most of the questions people are asking. It's way too hidden, but full of decent startup advice

BSager
04-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Wait..

So after I max out a weapons "personal" xp, it no longer gives me xp for my global weapon skill?

So say I had an assault rifle with maxed out "personal" xp... and my AR skill is 3...if I continue using that exact AR I will not achieve a global AR skill of 4?

That is what they are saying and I think that sucks. I am going to have to test it out in game.

I have a good weapon that I like and I haven't been able to find a better one for quite some time. It has had maxed out exp for awhile now.

Avenger
04-06-2013, 09:53 AM
It seems to force you to keep looking for a replacement weapon - for AR, LMG and shotguns this is fairly easy, but I've not been finding many bolt action sniper rifles, and since you get just shy of 5k per headshot it doens't take long to max their individual xp bars.

On a side note weapons don't appear to gain any xp from fighting during arkfalls - I've been scoring over 1million damage on the leaderboards yet individual weapon progress doesn't appear to have budged. If they were working then that would max any weapon I've seen in one arkfall.