PDA

View Full Version : Patching, Its timing, and how it makes no sense.

Altras
12-14-2015, 01:55 PM
Just a thought, I know it would require some tech people to stay late one night, but why don't you do patches at the server reset when everyone's sleeping and not during prime hours?

Just saying, almost every game I played patch during their "dead time". And Defiance is the only one I've encountered that updates right before the servers prime time.

So almighty Defiance team heads,
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll8sbbmRnV1qzado8o1_500.gif

Xellia
12-14-2015, 02:01 PM
If the patch time was moved just a few hours earlier it would help alot. Right now servers are down when the east coast players are getting out of school and work, ready to get in game but can't.

Cobra Crusher
12-14-2015, 02:06 PM
Just a thought, I know it would require some tech people to stay late one night, but why don't you do patches at the server reset when everyone's sleeping and not during prime hours?

Just saying, almost every game I played patch during their "dead time". And Defiance is the only one I've encountered that updates right before the servers prime time.

Because then someone in another country will make this same thread.

Altras
12-14-2015, 02:08 PM
Because then someone in another country will make this same thread.

Its pretty well known EU servers aren't as populated as NA servers.
Just saying, some logic behind it would be nice.

Gaige12
12-14-2015, 02:10 PM
Because daily server reset is at 2am in California when most folks at Trion are off work and sleeping.

Patches are done during business hours in case something goes wrong so there's people there to fix it.

/thread

Altras
12-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Because daily reset is at 2am in California when Most at Trion are off work and sleeping. Patches however, are done during business hours in case something goes wrong, there's people there to fix it.

Thought that what pts was for. That's another thing, there was a lot of skipped content on pts that's now being posted to live. Bet that "skip" has something to do with the delayed time.

Gaige12
12-14-2015, 02:26 PM
Thought that what pts was for. That's another thing, there was a lot of skipped content on pts that's now being posted to live. Bet that "skip" has something to do with the delayed time.

I agree. I think its a matter of having folks at their work station in case the live deployment goes awry. Contents' performance on PTS can be fine with a few dozen people signed in, but if it completely breaks on live deployment, I'd rather have Trion on deck and ready instead of waking up and logging in from home. :)

DEPHIC
12-14-2015, 02:32 PM
Honestly I've come to expect this lack of effort from Trion. Why make any effort to do patching and updating outside of peak hours. Why fix things that have been broken for 2 or more years. Why fix the annoying vfx of bmg, mass cannons, defiant few, ect. They just don't care and have made no effort to fix anything or accommodate their customers needs.

Oh and don't forget the bitstore.:rolleyes:

RKZX2
12-14-2015, 02:37 PM
as of 1:40 PST servers are STILL down. lol. merry xmas guys. no problem. back to Fallout then.

Mister Ree
12-14-2015, 02:37 PM
Etcetera, etc. Not ectoplasm ect.

Altras
12-14-2015, 02:48 PM
I'm not saying there's a lack of effort, I'm only curious as to why the patch time is what it is. If patching was the first thing they did in the morning, would it be more effective?

Claydough
12-14-2015, 02:50 PM
Theyre looking after us aussies,

Right now im being paid to wait for the servers to patch :P

Claydough
12-14-2015, 02:53 PM
I'm not saying there's a lack of effort, I'm only curious as to why the patch time is what it is. If patching was the first thing they did in the morning, would it be more effective?

I would just say lack of planning and organisation is to blame.

Theres no secret that this is the teams major flaw

piekster78
12-14-2015, 03:06 PM
I would just say lack of planning and organisation is to blame.

Theres no secret that this is the teams major flaw

Welcome the world of (smallish) tech companies. Living in Seattle and having many friends/in-laws working as programmers or other jobs at tech firms, it boggles my mind how completely haphazard and disorganized their work environments are. Its amazing to me that they get anything done. Herding cats has nothing on a tech startup.

PithHelmetIrath
12-14-2015, 03:13 PM
Hope this update is good, this download is crawling along at a snail's pace..

PHREAKsniper
12-14-2015, 03:46 PM
I feel your pain Altra, I actually left work early today, get home and thus far 2.5 hours later STILL NO DEFIANCE!!!! So now I am missing out on the event, I left work early so also missing out on money (I know I know I am a big boy, no one to blame but myself for leaving work early, would have been ok with it except CANNOT log into the reason I left early)......Hey Trion shoot me a text message when ya get this fixed and running again ok???? Going to play Fallout 4 oh wait......a UPDATE......should be ready by 7:30 pm (my time) tonight??? So another hour and a half to wait??????

Thank you Trion for your patience and understanding while I put my money and time into Fallout 4 :-)

Frog556
12-14-2015, 04:02 PM
Are ya sure you want them to text you Phreak? :p

Ocho
12-14-2015, 04:08 PM

Comment I made in another thread:

During this patch it was determined there was an issue with the build. Folks identified the issue fairly quickly, and were able to fix it. Then they had to create a whole new build and are in process of deploying that build to the servers now.

In order for this all to happen we had to have input from quite a few members of the Defiance Team. An earlier patch time wouldn't have helped terribly, because we would have needed to drag folks into the office to get the issues that are causing the delay to be addressed. That's why we have the later patch times.

I get the inconvenience of later patch times, and it's something I've talked about to the team extensively. Today is one of the days when the later patch time worked as intended, because we had folks in the office to address the issues that occurred quickly. Now we're working on getting the fruits of their labor out to you.

No, it was a borked build. If anything having changes on PTS that don't make it live make things harder.

PHREAKsniper
12-14-2015, 04:22 PM
Are ya sure you want them to text you Phreak? :p

SURE I shave my boobies!!! What could they POSSIBLY text me that I could not respond too??? Muwahahahahahahaha-ha.......ROFL go ahead text me I dare ya :-)

876-5309 :-) (if ya where around in the 80's you MAY get the reference)

Altras
12-14-2015, 04:25 PM
Comment I made in another thread:

No, it was a borked build. If anything having changes on PTS that don't make it live make things harder.

Thanks for taking a moment. But wouldn't testing the finale build on pts prior to live server help prevent this kind of thing?

Ocho
12-14-2015, 04:28 PM
SURE I shave my boobies!!! What could they POSSIBLY text me that I could not respond too??? Muwahahahahahahaha-ha.......ROFL go ahead text me I dare ya :-)

876-5309 :-) (if ya where around in the 80's you MAY get the reference)

Jenny, I got your number.

Thanks for taking a moment. But wouldn't testing the finale build on pts prior to live server help prevent this kind of thing?

We're actually talking about improving our build pipeline to specifically address the situation that happened today.

PHREAKsniper
12-14-2015, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=Ocho;1856504]Jenny, I got your number.

Cool....but.....do you have Bette Davis Eyes?????? To obscure......or is it because Love Stinks??? Or perhaps.....everyone wants you.....or maybe it is cuz Angel is your Centerfold??? OH MY GOD SERVERS ARE BACK ONLINE YEEEAAAAA NO MORE 80's music references......for now......lol

Dixie Cougar
12-14-2015, 04:49 PM
You want someone to work late so you can play a video game slightly sooner??

Altras
12-14-2015, 04:57 PM
We're actually talking about improving our build pipeline to specifically address the situation that happened today.

Looking forward to that outcome!

Its not uncommon for companies to pull extra hours during patches/updates, like coming in early for patch day.

Claydough
12-14-2015, 05:02 PM

I start at 4am to service our main crane once every two weeks.
I jump at the oppitunity as im home by lunch most times.