PDA

View Full Version : Confused.

Pretty Face
12-24-2015, 07:48 PM
Short and simple question about weapon selection & modding.

When trying to find out what guns are good what stats do you compare to others to see which would do better? & when modding a weapon that has a synergy for an example Synergy: Quartermaster. Do i have to add mods that has that synergy or can i add something different like maybe run n gun.

Silent_0ne
12-24-2015, 08:03 PM
example Synergy: Quartermaster. Do i have to add mods that has that synergy or can i add something different like maybe run n gun.

If the gun has the quartermaster syn you'll need QM mods to activate the syn any else won't.i.e( a QM gun fully modded with 2 QM mods & 2 random mods will only activate the 1st two QM bonuses ( line 1 & 2 will show up white ) 3 & 4 will be inactive ( shaded grey)..........

Pretty Face
12-24-2015, 08:11 PM
If the gun has the quartermaster syn you'll need QM mods to activate the syn any else won't.i.e( a QM gun fully modded with 2 QM mods & 2 random mods will only activate the 1st two QM bonuses ( line 1 & 2 will show up white ) 3 & 4 will be inactive ( shaded grey)..........

Okay cool makes more since now just trying to fully understand the best route into making top tier weapons if its best to mod through the synergy or random mods for best outcome. :)

Mrdr
12-24-2015, 08:12 PM
But, yes, you can add any mod to any gun regardless of synergy (as long as it's a mod for that gun type). However, as mentizoned, if you want to take full advantage of the synergy of the gun then you want to use only the mods with the same synergy.

Pretty Face
12-24-2015, 08:14 PM
But, yes, you can add any mod to any gun regardless of synergy (as long as it's a mod for that gun type). However, as mentizoned, if you want to take full advantage of the synergy of the gun then you want to use only the mods with the same synergy.

well what about when finding a gun and comparing it to others? do you compare them by crit mult or dmg or what to find out whats best to use and is there somewhere i can read up on that tells me what mods there is for a gun and what tier they are cause honestly i dont know the first thing about modding so i dont know what would be good to add to what gun.

Mrdr
12-24-2015, 08:20 PM
This is hands down the greatest help to me so far outside of my clanmates:

http://www.defiancedata.com/databases.php

Check out the weapons, pursuits, and shields databases and you'll go far. Join a clan with good knowledgeable and active players and you're golden.

Edit: I forgot to mention that comparing one gun to another and it's rolls is subjective sometimes. Some guns like sawed offs can be really awesome but they have either small mags or really long reload times so you'll want to look for guns with rolls that mitigate this. Damage rolls are almost always desirable as is crit, but not in every situation. Fire rate is also desirable depending on the gun. Some already fire fast so a fire rate roll may not be necessary and you might prefer a damage roll to increase overall damage (more damage per bullet but at standard fire rate), whereas others may want to max the fire rate as much as possible to max the dps (so damage barrel plus good fire rate roll equal faster shooting with slightly more damage per bullet--availability of ammo then comes into play so you'll want more in the mag and post up near an ammo box). So to each their own. Also, nanos play a roll in the desirability of a weapon and what you intend to use the weapon for--pvp, pve, expeditions, etc.

Hope this helps.

Pretty Face
12-24-2015, 08:27 PM

Check out the weapons, pursuits, and shields databases and you'll go far. Join a clan with good knowledgeable and active players and you're golden.

appreciate it.

Mrdr
12-24-2015, 08:34 PM
You didn't say what platform or server but there's a whole section on clans and recruitment here.

Pretty Face
12-24-2015, 08:38 PM

Edit: I forgot to mention that comparing one gun to another and it's rolls is subjective sometimes. Some guns like sawed offs can be really awesome but they have either small mags or really long reload times so you'll want to look for guns with rolls that mitigate this. Damage rolls are almost always desirable as is crit, but not in every situation. Fire rate is als desirable depending on the gun. Some already fire fast so a fire rate roll may not be necessary and you might get prefer a damage roll to increase overall damage (more damage per bullet but at standard fire rate), whereas others may want to max the fire rate as much as possible to max the dps (so damage barrel plus good fire rate roll equal faster shooting with slightly more damage per bullet). So to each their own. Also, Janos plans roll in the desirability of a weapon and what you intend to use the weapon for--pvp, pve, expeditions, etc.

Hope this helps.

Yea honestly Im just doing pve for now till i can get things figured out and once i feel im high enough to compete with others then i will join the pvp action.

Sir Dan
12-24-2015, 08:39 PM
all guns and sub-types are pretty different.

e.g the pulser line of smg

blue crit 1.25 and oj dmg 1.12 is better than
blu dmg 1.08 and oj crit 1.30

because the difference between 1.25 and 1.30 crit is of no consequence for AR's and SMG's.
Mag rolls aren't necessary because pulsers have a quick reload.

For a sniper or wolfhound pistol it would be reversed- blue dmg and oj crit.

Reload rolls will have a better effect on a slow reload gun.
Crit rolls will give better bonus on guns that have a high crit base.

It would take too much effort to list the worthwhile guns, let alone ALL the guns.
Look at the weapons natural strengths and weaknesses - do the rolls improve the gun?

Synergy is a lesser factor, 'coz you can have a great gun even though it has a backpack synergy or one of the crappy synergies.

Mrdr
12-25-2015, 07:09 AM
Yea honestly Im just doing pve for now till i can get things figured out and once i feel im high enough to compete with others then i will join the pvp action.

It's never too early to start pvp. Expect to die...a lot. If you start now know that you're not going to win much because you're going against people who only pvp and they've got the perfect gear. Gear, however, means nothing if you don't have the experience and the know how to stay alive. The newer to Defiance you are, the weaker your gear and your toon will be. That only means you won't kill others easily and they can kill you easily. Sounds kinda stupid to start pvp right now, huh? Even though you'll keep dying and not killing, you'll be gaining experience--how to move, how to use the environment to your advantage, learning which perk you prefer (cloak, overcharge, blur, decoy) and other supporting perks, learning which weapons suit your style (do you like to tank, snipe, guerilla tactics, etc.?), and also you'll be learning who to look out for and in which environments (freight yard, observatory, shadow wars, etc.) and maybe learn from them or group up with them to get better.

Even if you have awesome gear at ego 6k, without actually doing pvp you will have a hard time. So, if I were you, I'd start pvp sooner rather than later, so when you do get the good gear you'll have the experience to use it and do some real damage with it.

Oh and most importantly, have fun with pvp and don't take things too seriously...lots of trash talk and smart ***** in there lol. Experiment with various weapons and weapon types. Learn how to move in pvp...it's not like pve...the mechanics are the same but the needs are not. Get a mic and start talking to others in pvp...you'll learn from them and make some friends (and some enemies lol). When you're in a group with mics you can coordinate your attacks for even more fun. You'll have a great time in pvp as long as you don't expect to be the best right out of the gate...it takes time to get really good and there some who have been kicking *** in pvp since game launch. I'm not great at pvp, but I'm always having fun and trying to improve and learn new things. When I first started I was killed left right and centre...now I'm actually able to kill some people of the top dogs in the pvp world...doesn't happen often, but I've done it a few times now and hope to do it a few more :D

If you're on PS3 NA then I'm sure our paths will cross in pvp eventually...looking forward to shooting you in the face sometime:D

tarmim
12-25-2015, 06:12 PM
Exactöy what Mrdr said. If you start pvp now, you'll be better in the future.

MrHulot
12-26-2015, 10:16 AM
It's never too early to start pvp. Expect to die...a lot.

I already die a lot, so I'm all set for PVP! Whoo-hoo!

SocialGerm69
12-26-2015, 11:32 AM
A lot of people try to balance out their guns to get all around performance and handling. This works for most players, but I tend to take a different approach. I always mod a gun to the strengths it already has. If it reloads fast, make it reload faster. It it is very accurate, make it more accurate. High damage, add more, etc... I find that this creates weapons with abilities far superior to a balanced out weapon. There are of course exceptions to this rule, however, modding to strengths combined with proper perks can create amazing things.

Dying2Live182
12-26-2015, 10:34 PM
Keep in mind that if a gun is amazing in every aspect except one and that one aspect kills the gun for you to use, a rig may be able to fix it. Let's say you have a gun and it only has a mag size of 35 and you put a t4 high cap mag on it, it brings it up to 56 shots. If it still isn't up to a usable size for you to use you can add mag chips to a rig and get a larger mag. There are a lot of balancing effects a rig can offer for many problems that arise with guns.

Silent_0ne
12-27-2015, 07:20 AM
A lot of people try to balance out their guns to get all around performance and handling. This works for most players, but I tend to take a different approach. I always mod a gun to the strengths it already has. If it reloads fast, make it reload faster. It it is very accurate, make it more accurate. High damage, add more, etc... I find that this creates weapons with abilities far superior to a balanced out weapon. There are of course exceptions to this rule, however, modding to strengths combined with proper perks can create amazing things.

I tend to do this same thing i'll always master a gun before i fully mod em.