PDA

View Full Version : So is Dogtown Mine Supposed to be a Solo instance?

Dazz
04-06-2013, 09:51 AM
I've died so many times. This is the most frustrating and disheartening mission so far. Why is it always back to square one when you die? Unless I can figure out how to get through this, it may become a showstopper for me. This isn't fun. :mad:

Violante
04-06-2013, 09:52 AM
me to. that jackleg is a ***** to kill. i've gotten him down to the ground but i died after that.

KashraFall
04-06-2013, 09:52 AM
I can't seem to recall but is dogtown mine the one where you fight the named blacklung?

Violante
04-06-2013, 09:54 AM
no jackleg joe

Dazz
04-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Its a boss named Jackleg. You have to kill off several waves of guys without getting torched by a smelter with the machinist girl.

KashraFall
04-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Yeah, he is a blacklung. The common strategy with blacklungs is to let them lob their grenades and then strike after you move. Jackleg is a bit different because he is faster. How I did it, was let him lob his grenade, roll to the side via combat roll "Alt" and then hit him. Rinse and repeat this process. If he runs in to melee you, simply dodge roll and you won't be hit and if you are you won't fall down. It worked for me, good luck fellow ark hunters!

Also a tip for the smelters. Melee them and shoot them in the back. This will nullify any damage from them and instantly send them tot he furance.

Dazz
04-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Do the waves of mobs ever stop?

Violante
04-06-2013, 09:56 AM
anybody wanna group up and murder his *****

NalkorRN
04-06-2013, 09:59 AM
I can't seem to recall but is dogtown mine the one where you fight the named blacklung?

Jes, Jackleg Joe to be exact. You have to fight off some 99ers and then you see a cutscene where Rosa shoots a Smelter in the tank, it panics and runs under the flame jets and knocks out Jackleg Joe's shield. For the second phase you need to shoot the tanks of a Smelter that emerges from the two vents near the boss, don't kill them though, you'll see their tanks rupture and they'll roll on the ground frantically before triggering the shield-lowering explosion. After getting him to half health, Jackleg Joe then jumps down and then no more 99ers spawn (elite mad mooks from the left and normals from the right spawn through both the first and second phases). He acts as a beffed up Blacklung. Flashbangs and electric weapons do not stun him and I don't think anything staggers him at all, he can continue to move while constantly firing his grenade launcher. He doesn't fire it in bursts of 3 like a normal Blacklung, but one grenade every second or two, if he gets too close, he'll charge forward and do a nasty melee slam attack. At that point you need an AR or LMG (SMG might not hit hard enough) to take down his health. There are ammo caches around like in co-op boss rooms, no need to hold down a button, but they're all in corners or against walls, a bad place to be when Jackleg Joe is moving around and firing grenades. Given hos big/tall he is, he can actually cover a lot of ground just through normal movement. Dodge rolling is essential to survival as is using cover in-case his grenades cannot clear the top of the rocks with their firing arcs.

KashraFall
04-06-2013, 09:59 AM

You can't group for a story missions sadly.

For this fight you have to kill the waves and after that, he will send smelters after you. All you have to do is hide behind cover, melee the smelter and shoot the tank on it's back. This will cause it to catch onfire and run around screaming back into the furnace which lowers jack's shield and lets you damage him. Rinse repeat this process and jack will jump down, then you have to hit and roll.

NalkorRN
04-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Do the waves of mobs ever stop?

Yes, third phase is just you and him, thankfully. The mobs only ever spawn in one at a time per side and never fast enough to overwhelm you. The elite 99ers seem almost unable to advance all the way down the left, at least from my experience.

Alshadow
04-06-2013, 10:02 AM
heres a tip for anybody having trouble with him roll a lot make sure he never hits you with the drill and I'm a overcharge user so he was a piece of cake for me honestly and if you can't get him to the ground shoot the pyro midgets in their back so they run into the furnace and stun joe teach so you can get some hits in on him once hes on the ground use cover if you get hurt but make sure you are hammering him with damage combat shotty worked well for me because it was staggering him.

Masked Man
04-13-2013, 09:23 PM
What I don't get on this mission is why you have to restart from beginning each time. At LEAST restart that section of fight.

Sorry for some of us, especially on a PC we just aren't going to get through this. I like to play but I am not an expert at shooters. There shouldn't be game ending missions.

Ikagawa
04-13-2013, 09:32 PM
What I don't get on this mission is why you have to restart from beginning each time. At LEAST restart that section of fight.

Sorry for some of us, especially on a PC we just aren't going to get through this. I like to play but I am not an expert at shooters. There shouldn't be game ending missions.

What do you mean "especially on a PC?" I play on a PC. I beat him easily on my first go. The encounter isn't complicated. There have been hundreds of players that beat him without too much difficulty.

Taaltos
04-13-2013, 09:41 PM

Yes, the named black lung, named Jackleg Joe

Taaltos
04-13-2013, 09:43 PM

uh. "especially on pc"....WHAT?!

PC Gamers have a distinct advantage in control and aim accuracy with mouse and keyboard.

Truth be told, I think most PC Gamers, if games were cross-platform play with each other, would frustrate the crap out of Console gamers.

This isn't an elitist comment, but a hardware logistics comment.

Xazur
04-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Yes that missions is a solo mission, but when you extract, you only restart back at were you were. It's not like you have to do the entire instance over. Your goal is to knock the smelters and shoot their fuel pack which then they run under the boss and explode and take his shield down. After doing that a few times, he jumps down and thats when the real battle starts. There is usually the smelter + 2 other mobs in the area at a time. All you need to do is hide behind the boxes in the area to avoid getting fired on while your knocking the smelter around.

ShadowStrider 7
04-13-2013, 10:38 PM
What do you mean "especially on a PC?" I play on a PC. I beat him easily on my first go. The encounter isn't complicated. There have been hundreds of players that beat him without too much difficulty.

I found it to be quite simple as well....

Badblade
04-13-2013, 11:52 PM
It took me a lot of tries too.

1. Shotgun works great for lighting the guys on fire. Don't get yourself killed though. If he gets too close, kill him (don't worry. There will be more of them to light on fire)

2. Hang back behind cover. You don't need to rampage through the room (Rosa helps keep the 99ers at bay)

3. When lack leg comes down... Keep moving and shooting!!

Youngwings
04-13-2013, 11:54 PM
use invis... makes this fight about....eh...371%(?) easier

Wynce
04-13-2013, 11:58 PM
How to beat him.

Hide behind cover. Kill the shooters. Punch the smelters, they fall face down. Shoot their back once. Shoot Jackleg Joe till he comes down.

Once he's down, he's basically an elite blacklung. If you've never figured out the ultimate blacklung strategy, it's run in a wide circle around him shooting.

I got him down first try with overcharge and a shotgun. :D

Teran
04-14-2013, 12:40 AM
I've died so many times. This is the most frustrating and disheartening mission so far. Why is it always back to square one when you die? Unless I can figure out how to get through this, it may become a showstopper for me. This isn't fun. :mad:

I thought this mission was unusually difficult compared to what came before and what came after. I basically had to re-think my character's EGO build and I shuffled things around for maximum damage resistance and survivability. Once I did that it was a lot easier.

steadyhand08
04-14-2013, 03:10 AM
flashbang nades also set of the smelters backpacks so thats a really easy way to drop his shield and then its just run around like a crasy person :P

Taaltos
04-14-2013, 03:11 AM
flashbang nades also set of the smelters backpacks so thats a really easy way to drop his shield and then its just run around like a crasy person :P

Really? This one I didn't know. :)

Can't wait for the patch so we can replay some of these quests. I wanna fight Nim again.

steadyhand08
04-14-2013, 03:21 AM
yeh i discovered this by mistake trying to change fits and just painc throwing the nades. They also overload the darkmatters energy shield thing so when im in later zones with 99ers and darkmatter I just keep flash bangs on me for the stun and other effects

Ghostbear247
04-14-2013, 03:28 AM
I didnt discover this until running the quest for a third time to help the wife on her character, a fire effect weapon will usually set the tanks on fire when you shoot the mob. Standing behind one of the rear silver tanks will mostly get you ignored by the shooters and your female companion will grab their attention and even Jacklegs if you give her a couple of seconds to grab it. Decoy is great in this fight too, smelters will always chase it and give a clear shot at their backs.

Masked Man
04-14-2013, 02:44 PM
I finally got through this like 10,000 script in rezes later.

Another note I would like to add, if you don't like meleeing Smelters, is pump action shotguns work well with Smelters. Each shot knocks them down but you won't accidently kill them because that takes a lot of shots. Each time you shoot them they fall in a different position too so you can wait for tanks to get really exposed.

Also in final battle oddly enough best strategy is NOT to shoot. Shoot until you get his attention then stop and do nothing but run and hide. NPC will pull his attention from you pretty quickly, then when you are full strength repeat. That ended up being the easiest part of the fight.

Tharcion
04-15-2013, 05:56 AM
IMO, this mission will (eventually, but sooner rather than later) get nerfed. It's economics. This mission gates all the side missions south of Marin and it is exceptionally hard, especially compared to what comes before. Worse, it's sadistic; one mistake and it's back to square one. I have dug myself out from under an army of hellbugs, paying all the rez fees, because I knew eventually I'd grind them down, no matter how badly designed the entire concept of the mission was. Dogtown just makes me want to throw in the hammer after the second kick back to square one.

So, yeah, nerfing... It's not that the mission is too hard, it's that it's badly designed and happens too early. Also it's a mandatory gate blocking further progress. If you can't beat dogtown, you've got about a week of gameplay until you have nothing to do. That's the position I'm in and I won't be buying a season pass unless I can get past this mission; it would be a waste of money. The game's revenue stream is based on continued purchases of DLCs and if, say, 30% of players are in my position the game fails.

Problem is, redesigning the mission would take time, but nerfing the things in the mission is significantly easier. They'll nerf it. Quicker, easier, and they don't have to admit it was a dumb idea in the first place.

Personally I hope they stop doing this. Blocking the main thread of the game with a hideously hard mission will just lose you players and serves no purpose (even in a single player game). There's plenty of opportunity to have fiendish side missions which elite players can trounce and brag about. (Oddly, I've not met a single side mission I couldn't solo with enough effort. Trion seriously needs to rethink their strategy.) The main thread needs to be doable by anyone or they will not have a game to develop.

PS. I've tried all these strategies (except flashbangs, will try those) and none of them work. I think what you need to win this one is something that no one here seems to want to admit; a whole load of LUCK.

EvilWaterman
04-15-2013, 06:07 AM
Once you understand the strategy for this encounter its really quite easy. I couldn't figure it out for a couple of goes then BOOM!

BlueLou61
04-29-2013, 09:20 AM
OK thanks to those who have posted tips on this mission.

Was struggling with this one - read this thread - completed the mission (still took 2 runs at it though).

I changed my weapon loadout to a 'flame' AR (VBI Firestorm) and a 'flame' shotty and Pyro grenades with Overcharge EGO.

The shotty was good for putting down the smelters and then a single hit to the tank sends them running.
AR with Overcharge once Jackleg's shields are down. Top up ammo at any opportunity and manage your shields during the early mobs. The tanks to the rear left/right are good for some cover whilst shields recover.

Once Jackleg's health is down below half way he comes down ..... then it's as previous posters say .... keep moving/rolling & shooting.

Not bothered that this mission is harder than most .... just really frustrating having to sit through the cut scene and start again.

Thanks again for the info :)

Khufu
04-29-2013, 09:23 AM

You'd think in an MMO you could do that...

MacDeath
04-29-2013, 09:38 AM
OK thanks to those who have posted tips on this mission.

Was struggling with this one - read this thread - completed the mission (still took 2 runs at it though).

I changed my weapon loadout to a 'flame' AR (VBI Firestorm) and a 'flame' shotty and Pyro grenades with Overcharge EGO.

The shotty was good for putting down the smelters and then a single hit to the tank sends them running.
AR with Overcharge once Jackleg's shields are down. Top up ammo at any opportunity and manage your shields during the early mobs. The tanks to the rear left/right are good for some cover whilst shields recover.

Once Jackleg's health is down below half way he comes down ..... then it's as previous posters say .... keep moving/rolling & shooting.

Not bothered that this mission is harder than most .... just really frustrating having to sit through the cut scene and start again.

Thanks again for the info :)
You can skip the cutscenes, just hit ESC.

Tgreen
04-29-2013, 09:41 AM
Since this thread's already among the living again...

1. It is a boss fight it should be harder than most missions.
2. You can abort cutscenes by pressing ESC - especially handy in coops.
3. Whether the mission is hard a question of perspective really and quite frankly being harder than the normal mission of the 'face roll' category doesn't make it challenging in any sense of the word.
4. Grats nonetheless.

BlueLou61
04-30-2013, 04:22 AM
Since this thread's already among the living again...

1. It is a boss fight it should be harder than most missions.
2. You can abort cutscenes by pressing ESC - especially handy in coops.
3. Whether the mission is hard a question of perspective really and quite frankly being harder than the normal mission of the 'face roll' category doesn't make it challenging in any sense of the word.
4. Grats nonetheless.

1 & 3 = Yep - totally agree that it should be harder, that's why I said that it didn't really bother me ... some are too easy to solo! (even for a casual gamer like me!)
My main problem was moving forward too quickly .... much easier once I hung back to the rear of the map and used cover to managed shields better. Only moved forward to grab ammo then back again.

2 = I'm on Xbox so ESC isn't an option :(

4 = Thanks :)

MstrJedi_Kyle
04-30-2013, 04:50 AM
1 & 3 = Yep - totally agree that it should be harder, that's why I said that it didn't really bother me ... some are too easy to solo! (even for a casual gamer like me!)
My main problem was moving forward too quickly .... much easier once I hung back to the rear of the map and used cover to managed shields better. Only moved forward to grab ammo then back again.

2 = I'm on Xbox so ESC isn't an option :(

4 = Thanks :)

I think its "Y" that skips cutscenes.

Tharcion
04-30-2013, 04:59 AM
I think its "Y" that skips cutscenes.

Yes, it is.

Now can someone tell me which button to press to skip the first attack wave? I can do those and they're just annoying.

Soon time to have another go at this one. My ability to not die has improved quite a bit after no touching this godforsaken, sadistic mission for about three weeks. Maybe I can beat it this time. The problem is that I've psychologically adjusted myself to expect failure and having to start again.

Thinking about it, doing the new episode content will probably mean I can put off doing Dogtown for another week. Cool!

Tharcion
05-03-2013, 08:38 AM
And I just beat him, in one go, no redos, one self-revive.

I have so much adrenaline running through me that my hands are shaking, but I finally beat that shtako-for-brains, sadistic...

I need a drink.

zapfrog
05-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Yes he's hard NO IT DOESN'T need nerfing!! I'm so tired of hearing this. Obviously nobody is an old school gamer here.

Here are a few bosses that were near impossible; the weapon thing in Final Fantasy 7, Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts, Zues in God of War, Witch King from Lord of the Rings. Want to try games that are really hard go try the Demon Souls games those games are crushing.

The trick with this boss is the scenery and duck and cover. Took me a couple of tries to get the patterns down but once I saw them it was easy. The crates or what ever they are in the back left are the perfect place to hide as the smelters come out they pause and from the hide spot they are really easy to shoot in the back, then run out and shoot Jack after his shields go down. Rinse and repeat until he jumps down and you can still hide and take pot shots at him until he's dead.

Dazz
05-03-2013, 08:59 AM
And I just beat him, in one go, no redos, one self-revive.

I have so much adrenaline running through me that my hands are shaking, but I finally beat that shtako-for-brains, sadistic...

I need a drink.

Congrats. He was a pain in the backside, but definitely doable.

SteveMND
05-03-2013, 09:00 AM

Eh, trust me, you can get it; hang in there. I'm an old middle-aged fat guy with no twitch skills, and I was able to make it past him -- altho until I realized the trick to it, i was starting to wonder if this would be the point at which I simply don't progress any further. But once I got the pattern down, all three of my guys got through it in one or two tries.

The trick is judicious use of cover (or, "hiding" if you prefer), and to let your companion NPC occupy the random guys.

First wave, well, that's just a first wave of guys, like most any other bit you've had to deal with in the open missions (altho perhaps a bit trickier due to lack of maneuvering room). I however, found that in the back far right corner (as you enter the room), there is a spot between one of the mob-spawner doors and a large crate, which is my Sweet Spot for attacking from. I'd immediately head there, which puts you pretty much in a position where you hardly ever actually get shot at. From there, you can pop your head out every now and then and eliminate the random bad guys. Most will concentrate on your Machining companion (so long as you don't start spraying bullets indiscriminately).

The second stage is a little tricker, but essentially the same. Grab the sweet spot, let machinist grab attention of the random rifle-toting guys, and when you see a smelter, lean out and pop him one. If you're a good shot, you can hit him in the backpack right there, but if not, he'll come rushing into your little hideyhole. When he arrives, punch him in the head to knock him to the ground, and put a single shot into his backpack to ignite it (caution: don't use something that will outright kill him, as that defeats the purpose). Once he's on fire, he'll run back to the boss, and take those previous few seconds to hit him with your alternate weapon (hopefully something hard-hitting). Rinse and repeat, and remember not to poke your head out too often when not actually doing something; the boss' grenades won't target you if you're all the way, but if you lounge around outside the spot too long, he'll send one your way, and you'll die quickly in that culdesac.

Once he hops down and you go against him mono-a-mono, the other random NPCs are gone, so it's just you and him. I kept moving in a circle around the center crates, him on one side, me on the other side, shooting him as I circled. Keep an eye out for his grenade pattern and roll when needed to keep ahead of them as you circle. With the boxes between you, he won't be able to charge you easily. At this point, just keep doing the dance with him, and as long as you keep rolling away from his grenades or charges, you should be good to go.

Good luck!

IGears
05-03-2013, 09:00 AM
yeah it was easy. but it pissed me off because i found someone cool to play with and group up. When we got to Dogtown mine, it say that we could not have a group to complete it.... really a heartbreaking story but I went on soloing. lol im flying solo

AlbionsBlade
05-03-2013, 09:06 AM
I thought I was going to be forever stuck on this quest till I was helped by advice on this forum.
As said before anything with splash damage will easily take care of the smelters, best place to fire from is behind upper left tanker and for whatever-leg just keep dodging then firing or even slower dodging and waiting for him to take a pot shot at your partner then shoot the backpack.

Tharcion
05-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Yes he's hard NO IT DOESN'T need nerfing!! I'm so tired of hearing this. Obviously nobody is an old school gamer here.

So tired of hearing that...

Here are a few bosses that were near impossible; the weapon thing in Final Fantasy 7, Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts, Zues in God of War, Witch King from Lord of the Rings. Want to try games that are really hard go try the Demon Souls games those games are crushing.

The crates or what ever they are in the back left are the perfect place to hide as the smelters come out they pause and from the hide spot they are really easy to shoot in the back, then run out and shoot Jack after his shields go down. Rinse and repeat until he jumps down and you can still hide and take pot shots at him until he's dead.

Except that's not how I did it. There is no "trick" (aside from the obvious, irritating, mechanic of shooting the smelters just enough that they catch fire). You have to get good enough, by practice or talent, to know when to duck, when to shoot, and when to run like a girl. Yes, there is cover you can use, and yes, if you're lucky the wandering bad guys will concentrate on Rosa and not on you. I think a fast regenerating shield is a good idea too, and a shotgun. Fundamentally, though, there's no "trick" or "pattern" there's just gamesmanship and getting better at playing a shooter. (Hell, I've got way better at shooting from the hip while running in circles since I started playing this game; an invaluable skill for the final phase of this mission.)

So, if you're finding it hard, keep trying. If I can do it (I suck at gaming) then you can do it.

And if you found it easy... well good for you. Try having some humility instead of complaining about "old school gamers."

LtRobbiesan
05-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Thre are vids on Youtube that may help.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Jackleg+Joe&oq=Jackleg+Joe&gs_l=youtube.3..0l2j0i5l2.2917.2917.0.4025.1.1.0.0 .0.0.453.453.4-1.1.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.x0Y-xZPpaGY

Cortechs
05-03-2013, 12:15 PM
If you are ever having trouble with any mission or area, remember that you can equip a BMG in one of your weapon slots. Just duck behind cover for a second for a quick recharge/heal. You can also power-recharge while being fired upon in an emergency.

I actually completed the entire mission using nothing but a BMG, because I was trying to level it. It didn't give me too much of a problem. You can zap the smelters' backpacks as they are climbing out of the hatches. It's easier if you jump up and zap on the way down. You can use this method to easily target humanoid heads as well.

Also, Blacklungs are not too difficult if you circle-strafe them. You don't even have to roll. Just walk in a circle, just out of melee range, and keep attacking their head. I can take them down faster and easier than Grenadiers.

Anyway, just a tip.

HuntGod
05-03-2013, 12:48 PM
If this one gave you fits, you are going to want to slit your throat when you get to Nim.

This fight is actually pretty basic.

Kill waves 1-2 as normal, when the smelters come out, jump over them, shoot down into exposed tank and they burst into flames, when they run into the smelter, the shield drops, take three head shots with the 1200+ dmg sniper rifles, or your weapon of choice.

After a few rounds of this, he will come down, pull out an AR/LMG and just walk in a circle around him shooting him at will, the grenades will almost always fall behind you, an occasional burst of sprint will keep you ahead. Use Decoy to make this even easier.

Have fun...though I too hate the enforced solo play, since it does break up groups.

Timelord
08-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Has ayone had a problem with after they die in Jackleg room, going back to the room just outside that room thereby having to redo the mission again?

Thanks.

OmegaZxero
08-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Are you still able to use Blur and jump up the platforms, and back up to the walkway you jumped down from, or has that been patched?

That method worked fine for me. Ammo crate, safe cover, etc...

AnimusanD
08-21-2013, 02:07 PM
...You have to get good enough, by practice or talent, to know when to duck, when to shoot, and when to run like a girl...

Run like a girl? How about back off so you don't die? (>_<)

I know this encounter is harder than pretty much anything before it. I died twice the first time I faced Jackleg, and I was listening to my EGO about the smelters too.

If you insist on calling a tactical retreat something demeaning, try coward or sissy, whatever. Flex those vocab skillz.

her9019
08-21-2013, 02:41 PM
two words... you tube! i've beaten him three times with three different toons. can be done. ;)

Dazz
08-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Y'all stop reading this old crap. This thread was old news and I posted it when I was a tiny lil noob. Do this instead:

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?66798-Bullet-for-a-Badman-(long-post-amp-lots-of-pictures)

Ceitic
12-17-2013, 03:08 AM
there is a Tube-video around which gives you tips on killing Jackleg. I struggled until I watched this cool vid, I did the whole quest in around 25mins, jackleg and all. It gives you ideas on load-outs, which made the difference. It was under the heading 'Dogleg Mine', have a search it was worth it for me.

Warhorse500
12-17-2013, 08:53 AM

Yeah, I was gonna say...I play on PC. On the storyline playthrough, it took me about 5-6 tries but I got through...and I'm hardly a "Leet" player. Follow the advice the folks have given you here; melee then shoot the pyros (the midgets with the glowing backpacks), let them run in and blow up his shield, shoot him when his shield is down, then when he finally jumps down and decides to go mano a mano with you, shoot him in the face until he's dead. Done and done.

brudevo
12-17-2013, 11:43 AM
It was changed in the recent update fix, you can take others in with you and kill him.