PDA

View Full Version : Can you go from one platform to another?

Luckduck945
08-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Sup wonderful people of the forums. quick question on wether or not anyone knows if yo ucan go from xbox to pc and pc to xbox with your own character. so for instance can you play on either.

didnt know if anyone knows or not

Mirimon
08-30-2012, 11:11 PM
From what we have seen, probably not.. as each system will be using it's own separate set of servers, where more than likely your character will be locked to, and even if you could move.. it may be a whole different issue to request a toon transfer from 1 platform to another.

Jenbuu
08-31-2012, 02:29 AM
have to agree with Mirimon, probable wont be able to

Night Hawke
09-05-2012, 09:37 PM
This would be awesome! but i highly doubt it as all the character transfers between the segmented networks would weigh down bandwidth and slow down server performance. Overall it would be great but I'm not sure I'd be willing to sacrifice too much server performance and latency for the feature.

Kalbuir
09-05-2012, 11:09 PM
This would be awesome! but i highly doubt it as all the character transfers between the segmented networks would weigh down bandwidth and slow down server performance. Overall it would be great but I'm not sure I'd be willing to sacrifice too much server performance and latency for the feature.

It most likely won't be possible but not for the reasons you state, all 3 games are the same in the background meaning that the transfer of information is compareable to a server transfer in other MMO's. This is one of the very interesting things about Defiance development process.

However since MS won't allow PS3 players on their network and at the end of the day its about money I very much doubt that either Sony or XBOX would agree to take on PC players who bought a PC box instead of a PS or XBOX one.

Night Hawke
09-06-2012, 11:14 AM
It most likely won't be possible but not for the reasons you state, all 3 games are the same in the background meaning that the transfer of information is compareable to a server transfer in other MMO's. This is one of the very interesting things about Defiance development process.

However since MS won't allow PS3 players on their network and at the end of the day its about money I very much doubt that either Sony or XBOX would agree to take on PC players who bought a PC box instead of a PS or XBOX one.

They charge for server transfers for a reason and they notify you that transfers can take up to 24 hours for a reason. They are intensive on network infrastructure. I was talking in the hypothetical world where all three platforms could co-mingle.

I thought someone before me had already established that they couldn't co-mingle obviously i was wrong. I was approaching it from a different angle and explain why even if we could co-mingle it would still be a hard task.

Kalbuir
09-06-2012, 11:04 PM
They charge for server transfers for a reason and they notify you that transfers can take up to 24 hours for a reason. They are intensive on network infrastructure. I was talking in the hypothetical world where all three platforms could co-mingle.

I thought someone before me had already established that they couldn't co-mingle obviously i was wrong. I was approaching it from a different angle and explain why even if we could co-mingle it would still be a hard task.

I still don't agree lets take a TRION game as RIFT as an example, transfers are free and instant "all" that happens is that your user data is moved from one shard to the other be it from one database to the other. Sure this isnt as easy as it sounds but it does not or should not impact the intensity of your network as the user data of a char in a MMO is never that intensive.

Now I see where your coming from if you would take a MMO at launch then usually transfer take manual labor to swap from one db to another and make sure the operation goes smoothly that is why often its a paid service. Additionally at a later time it remains paid to prevent server hopping which in my oppinion is something RIFT for example suffers from because its free.

And for the record they are technically able internally for all players to be on the same server, however lisence wise MS won't allow other players on their xbox live experience and there is the controller vs keyboard debate so there won't be any co-mingling regardless sadly.

Which is a shame as I think it would be a great way to market the game especially since I can think of numerous sollutions that would "solve" the controller vs keyboard playstyle differences.

tankknat
09-12-2012, 05:36 PM
This is a question ive had also... i think the idea we have is great, ya know even if you HAD to buy say a copy for PC a copy for xbox and a copy for PS3.. install it, but use the 1 login on all platforms.
Im not saying ps3 plays with xbox and xbox with pc etc, but more along the lines of the char data is for sure in a database right, have the login servers have access to the char data and BAM you have the most ultimate game of all.. cos i for 1 would buy all 3 copies as i have friends who are going to play on different platforms, but i prefer PC... so if i could say take my xbox to a mates place and away i go with my own toon ive been working on, then sweet... we can only dream right ;)

Ceridius
09-17-2012, 04:39 AM
I still don't agree lets take a TRION game as RIFT as an example, transfers are free and instant "all" that happens is that your user data is moved from one shard to the other be it from one database to the other. Sure this isnt as easy as it sounds but it does not or should not impact the intensity of your network as the user data of a char in a MMO is never that intensive.

Now I see where your coming from if you would take a MMO at launch then usually transfer take manual labor to swap from one db to another and make sure the operation goes smoothly that is why often its a paid service. Additionally at a later time it remains paid to prevent server hopping which in my oppinion is something RIFT for example suffers from because its free.

And for the record they are technically able internally for all players to be on the same server, however lisence wise MS won't allow other players on their xbox live experience and there is the controller vs keyboard debate so there won't be any co-mingling regardless sadly.

Which is a shame as I think it would be a great way to market the game especially since I can think of numerous sollutions that would "solve" the controller vs keyboard playstyle differences.

With the character transfer feature available on many MMOs it would seem logical that Trion might allow a similar service for you to transfer across from one platform to another [maybe]. But like the character transfers we've seen in other games, it would not be seamlessly unlimited or at the flick of a switch. It'll probably be limited, on-demand like a migration of sorts. Just speculating here.