PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial: How to Gold your Races -

doctordabs
02-04-2016, 04:09 AM
*Disclaimer - This is not an official tutorial and is strictly for your reading and consideration. It's not definitive ...there's always more thn 1 way to skin a cat.. feel free to pm me any corrections or edits..

Preface: I am absolutely horrible at racing games.. and this method had me gold them all in a few tries.

Step one - Relax. Get up from your desk and strech - chances are you aren't fresh and you've been playing a while.. freshen up.

Step 2 - Dumb those graphics down to the bare minimum.... go into graphics settings, lower your resolution to the lowest you can stomach.....and quality settings. turn motion blur off, shadows off, and turn bloom off.. turn proxy all the way up.

This is going to allow your pc to process the loose dynamic aspects of the game much smoother so you aren't hitting invisible arkfall debris, etc... you can change thee settings later but i find they keep me running at 1000 fps even at full speed.

Ps3 and Xbox'ers you can do this too for the most part, but the graphics options are kinda bunk.

Some people find 'em easy.. some don't. Here's *MY* tut on how I got golds.

This isn't an end-all-be-all guide, rather a loose mindset you want to have when racing.

ON TO THE GUIDE!!!!

You need to watch for rings 3 different ways.

1) the ring in front of you has a boost refill diamond floating in it.
2) the ring in front of you does not have a diamond floating in it.
3) the ring after that.. where is it (straight ahead, left or right)

What am I talking about? Predictive turning and boosting.

When you start the race, you find yourself usually staring at the first gold ring and it almost always has a diamond boost refill in it. The devs are telling you something here. Why would the devs give you a boost refill if they didn't want you to use it? AND why would they NOT put one in the ring if you should be boosting....

So first thought... i'm holding boost when i go thru a ring that has a boost refill.
Second: I'm NOT touching boost if i'm going thru a ring without a boost refill.
here comes the tricky part.....

Now that you know "ok so i'f my next ring has boost, be boosting until i see a ring that doesn't have it and i'll need to slow down or let my hand off the boost button" or else you're going to be going too fast to make the next turn - the devs didn't give you a boost refill because you're not supposed to be boosting here.

Turning.. or PRE-turning.... This refers to the third ring i mentioned above.

Example:
I'm starting the race. I see the ring directly in front of me has a boost ring. I'm at full speed and i also see the ring right after the one in front of me is far off to the right. I'm going to start holding boost before i pass ring1 and start holding my turning button as soon as i pass ring1 - HAVE FAITH HERE!!!!! They designed the turns to be taken at this speed.. just keep holding the turn button and be watching for the boost diamonds in the upcoming rings.. no diamond, no boost....

Get off the stupid bike. No.. seriously... More often than not you will find yourself wasting more time trying to get back on the track after a failed turn than it takes to simply hop off the bike and respawn the thing right away... 5 seconds correction time or 2 seconds respawn time.. your choice.

Lets tie this all together..

Race begin

Ring 1 has a boost diamond. (start boosting before you touch the ring.. keep boosting cuz ring2!)
Ring 2 has a boost diamond. (Still boosting here.. but wait.. ring 3.. i better let go of boost now)
Ring 3 has no boost diamond. (i just passed thru ring 3 and i wasn't boosting.. phew that was a smooth turn.. but i should keep holding my turn button cuz up ahead i see ring 4....)
Ring 4 is up on the right, no diamond.

Side note: These time trials are best done when there isn't an event going on.

If you're really feelin' the need to do them here are the best server stability times:

530am EST - right after nightly reboot

2pm EST - right after dailys reset

stefb42
02-04-2016, 04:47 AM
I honestly think that believing you can do them is half the battle, if you're all like I'm gonna fail you probably will, I completed these for a 3rd time last night on my low ego mule and it was just as hard/easy as the first time

Another thing that I found helped a lot was never restarting a race until I was positive I could get gold, when you mess up but continue the trial,not only do you learn the course more but the pressure is off, you can be more daring and bold, this will often actually land you a gold through time shaved off parts you thought couldn't be done at top speed, it's also worth noting that most trials give plenty spare time to get the gold so there's room for error (with the exception of Mt tam trials,crash and they will fail)

doctordabs
02-04-2016, 04:58 AM
I honestly think that believing you can do them is half the battle, if you're all like I'm gonna fail you probably will, I completed these for a 3rd time last night on my low ego mule and it was just as hard/easy as the first time

Another thing that I found helped a lot was never restarting a race until I was positive I could get gold, when you mess up but continue the trial,not only do you learn the course more but the pressure is off, you can be more daring and bold, this will often actually land you a gold through time shaved off parts you thought couldn't be done at top speed, it's also worth noting that most trials give plenty spare time to get the gold so there's room for error (with the exception of Mt tam trials,crash and they will fail)

yes. knowing your track makes all the difference!!!!!

doctordabs
02-04-2016, 07:02 AM
Edit * added line items

OokamiXIII
02-04-2016, 07:06 AM
This is a well thought out guide! I know from experience that this is how to get gold.

doctordabs
02-04-2016, 04:40 PM
This is a well thought out guide! I know from experience that this is how to get gold.

I did forget to mention that disabling voice in game seems to help a lot

Ea Rapture
02-04-2016, 04:46 PM
there's always more thn 1 way to skin a cat...

Who skins cats? O.o

doctordabs
02-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Who skins cats? O.o

well we ARE tabbyclan... =^..^= meow!~

Ea Rapture
02-04-2016, 06:44 PM
well we ARE tabbyclan... =^..^= meow!~

Nuuuuu, the kitties!

Bentu
02-05-2016, 12:59 AM
A great guide, I stink at racing games to and only managed to do them through sheer perseverance.
Turning down the gama to make the rings show up better helped.
One thing I should mention on the ps3 you should re log and start a race fresh so there's less lag etc.

doctordabs
02-05-2016, 03:27 AM
A great guide, I stink at racing games to and only managed to do them through sheer perseverance.
Turning down the gama to make the rings show up better helped.
One thing I should mention on the ps3 you should re log and start a race fresh so there's less lag etc.

i feel ya there. i'm pretty bad at 'em too.. failed the races in crash bandicoot like every time haha

RAGEFIGHTER
02-05-2016, 04:18 AM
when i was trying to get on blaming trion 6 k all i had is just will of steel :) some races had to doo more then 10 times :)

doctordabs
02-05-2016, 07:05 AM
i had to read that like 6 times before i knew what you meant lol

David Irwin
02-05-2016, 08:23 AM
i don't think this was mentioned, but when i completed these pursuits i found that if you failed your first attempt and restarted with the "retry" there was loading issues that wasted some time as well as objects along the course may not load up in time and cause some issues. so i always made sure to always start races by returning to the start point and using the open world icon to start races rather than the restart function since this seem to be more reliable and less loading issues.. after noticing this the races really did not seem very hard at all. this was quite a few months and many patches ago though, so things may have changed.

doctordabs
02-05-2016, 09:45 AM
i don't think this was mentioned, but when i completed these pursuits i found that if you failed your first attempt and restarted with the "retry" there was loading issues that wasted some time as well as objects along the course may not load up in time and cause some issues. so i always made sure to always start races by returning to the start point and using the open world icon to start races rather than the restart function since this seem to be more reliable and less loading issues.. after noticing this the races really did not seem very hard at all. this was quite a few months and many patches ago though, so things may have changed.

I do not experience those issues so i can't confirm or deny on my end but.. hey if it might help then no harm in trying right

doctordabs
02-07-2016, 07:55 AM
updated to add content for low ego players

Shtank
02-11-2016, 02:57 AM
@ doctordabs

this was the hands down, single most valuable (to me) thread I've ever seen on the forum!... man, I struggled to get silver on most races... took a good year and a half off from the game, slightly put-off by my failures... bought a game controller for my pc, came back and still struggled... you have saved my Defiance experience, DD... armed with the knowledge you presented here, I knocked out all the golds in an hour and a half yesterday... I cannot thank you enough!!!

doctordabs
02-11-2016, 05:03 AM
@ doctordabs

this was the hands down, single most valuable (to me) thread I've ever seen on the forum!... man, I struggled to get silver on most races... took a good year and a half off from the game, slightly put-off by my failures... bought a game controller for my pc, came back and still struggled... you have saved my Defiance experience, DD... armed with the knowledge you presented here, I knocked out the all the golds in an hour and a half yesterday... I cannot thank you enough!!!

+1 this!!!

First of all - Congrats on finishing all your gold time trials!!!! WOOHOO!!! Doesn't it feel good?!

Second - thank you for taking the time to come back and post here.. it's how i know if my tut's are good or bad haha Much appreciated!!!!

doctordabs
02-11-2016, 05:53 AM
Side note: These time trials are best done when there isn't an event going on.

If you're really feelin' the need to do them here are the best server stability times:

530am EST - right after nightly reboot

2pm EST - right after dailys reset

In my experience these times are when the server is freshest and least likely to lag out or spawn things in the middle of your racetrack

Shtank
02-11-2016, 06:29 AM
+1 this!!!

First of all - Congrats on finishing all your gold time trials!!!! WOOHOO!!! Doesn't it feel good?!

Second - thank you for taking the time to come back and post here.. it's how i know if my tut's are good or bad haha Much appreciated!!!!

1) thank you... yes, it does!

2) well deserved, and happy to... for what its worth, I enjoy your chat commentary in game, as well- yesterday especially, concerning the vehicle spawning trolls

doctordabs
02-11-2016, 06:39 AM
1) thank you... yes, it does!

2) well deserved, and happy to... for what its worth, I enjoy your chat commentary in game, as well- yesterday especially, concerning the vehicle spawning trolls

LOL The offender of that situation has since been reported and we hope that resolves the issue - Sometimes i get a little terse in game when people don't use common sense... I was told him a total jerk because i gave someone information on how to use the INTEL guides that the ego implant gives lol It happens.. no biggy

Slothrop
03-07-2016, 10:42 PM
Hello Sir, just want to say thanks for writing your time trial tutorial. I had completely given up on golds but after reading your guide and following your suggestions I got gold in all the races and got my toon to 6k, finally. Thanks again!

Chris Robet
03-10-2016, 09:55 PM
I totally did not take advantage of the glitch, a few years back, where you got 0.0 on every trial. Good job to everyone here.

Johnny Gatt
03-11-2016, 07:30 AM
My newest toon got all gold as soon as I got her runner to skill 20. My 7th black Challenger earned so far.it took almost 2 hours to do all time trials gold. Mine run alley still seems bugged, with rings not activating as you run through, but otherwise got that toon done pretty quick.
Knowing the courses Is five thirds of the battle for those who have trouble with time trials or fractions..

SlowEatin
03-11-2016, 09:26 AM
This sounds logical and promising. I will attempt to get my first gold tonight after work. (after playing nascar, NFS, and Formula 1 for years with a wheel the joystick is so different.)

Johnny Gatt
03-11-2016, 01:02 PM
This sounds logical and promising. I will attempt to get my first gold tonight after work. (after playing nascar, NFS, and Formula 1 for years with a wheel the joystick is so different.)

Just be patient and learn the courses. You should get gold no problem after a while. Mine run alley in Marin can be buggy. If you are doing that trial and the rings stop working, quit that trial and do a different one and come back to it. It is not a permanent bug.