PDA

View Full Version : Is it necessary to complete all Pursuits for 6000 Ego?

Tilarta
02-13-2016, 03:41 AM
I've been working through the Pursuits as best I can, but I've come to realize that some of them are beyond my capabilities to complete:

http://forums.defiance.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9867&d=1455359392

I've tried the Weapon Based challenges shown above several times and have failed each of them.
I suspect the reason is that my lack of skill with Rocket/Grenade Launchers and Shotguns is an active handicap that can never be overcome.
And don't say practice will improve my ability to use them, these have always been the weapons I never mastered, regardless of the mmo in question.

Oddly, the Rampage one is one of my areas of expertise (melee combat), but I keep failing because for the first 30 seconds, there are never enough Scrappers to beat down.
Highest Score was around 14000, 6000 short of the 20000 required for silver.

Also, another of my gaming weaknesses is racing vehicles, which makes all the Time Trials the biggest obstacles.
I'm level 9 in Quadbikes and I still couldn't beat the last Time Trial I attempted!
If I still can't do it when I get to level 18, I'm going to give up.

I'm uncertain if it is worth bothering chasing the Volge Pursuits, as the Sieges are so infrequent as to be a waste of time locating.
I have better things to do then stand around for hours staring at a map for something that takes ages to arrive!

So, given that I have gone as far in Pursuits as I can, I am curious as to how necessary Pursuits are to level up EGO.
Can you get to level 6000 through normal gameplay?
Even if that approach may take longer?

warren
02-13-2016, 03:49 AM
if you decided to not doing pursuits your boost ego will just stop u will have to do pursuits to level up so u should do some pursuits before your boost ego get lock

Bentu
02-13-2016, 04:14 AM
I'm not sure at the moment, I've only just hit the 6k cap and the pvp aspect of it was my nemesis. That was on xbox.
Now on the ps3 I have a patron pass active and I have maxed all weapons and vehicle leveling and done all of the hotshot apart from the sniper saviour one.
But I'm still getting xp and leveling up slowly with xp somehow. I'm ego 5170ish on that character.

Now the Rampage one I can help you with.

When you start it go and stand on top of the upside down car.
When the scrappers come after you just pound the car.
You'll get gold no trouble.

Edit. What system are you on pc/ps3/xbox?

Tilarta
02-13-2016, 05:40 AM
I did try it a couple more times, but was uncertain if I was standing on the right car, as there were a few of them:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/311115898941229482/F347F8197FF3DE77724A75CEA0A1917E6EFF3019/
Also, those blasted Omnivolts kept punching me off the car.

Still no success.

When I did this in Liro Arena, I just located the spawn point for the little ones and pounded it as they emerged.
I couldn't find that in this area though.

Now that I think about it, if EGO advancement is manditorily tied to Pursuits, then I'm going to hit a major roadblock in the extremely unlikely possibility I complete most of the others.
Since I shun PvP and there is a large section of Pursuits dedicated to that, those will remain forever incomplete.

Cerberus is roadblock number two, I tried the relevant PvE map for that vehicle, but you don't get enough time in it and often the players are so obsessed with speedrunning, I can't even climb into the turret seat before the vehicle is speeding off to it's destination.

I really hope XP on it's own without Pursuits can get you to 6000 Ego.

I play on the European Server as a PC Gamer.

An an aside, I can't imagine why anyone would want to play an mmo on a console, the controller is far more limiting then a keyboard.
And from what I heard, in Defiance, it just splits up the playerbase into exclusive sections because console gamers can't play with PC gamers.

Keeper Riff
02-13-2016, 05:43 AM
Can you get to level 6000 through normal gameplay?Short answer: No. Long answer: you have some slack to choose a couple of pursuits you won't try to complete, but everything else you must complete to reach 6k. For example it's impossible to reach 6k without doing at least some pursuits in PvP. But if you complete all PvP pursuits, you can spare yourself from trying to win gold on time trials, but you will still have to earn silver on them.

Pursuits were designed and balanced before all the EGO damage/health scaling was introduced. Once the ArkTech Revoultion was released, many hotshots and rampages became impossible to beat because of errors and imbalances of scaling in your weapon's power and mobs' health. The situation was greatly improved since then but it still lacks its original balance, so people frequently use exploits to beat them. Devs look at the statistics and see that majority of players complete them, so it's unlikely anything will be changed soon in that regard.

On the other hand, when I leveled my third character, I thoroughly checked if it's possible to beat those rampages without exploiting and found out it is. BUT my character was already at 4k EGO that time, so you can take this as a first tip: level up your EGO by playing the game and receiving XP before you start on rampages. This will probably rectify some scaling issues. The basic rule is: if you can't kill your enemies at a rampage with one shot (or short burst with an automatic weapon), then something is definitely not right with the scaling.

Shotgun rampages — use Assassin's Cache perk and aim for the head. That's probably the only one exploit that can be openly discussed over official forums.

Sniper hot-shots — use sniper's perks like shadowed strike, Height Advantage, Nerves of Steel etc.

Rocket/Detonator rampages — I don't remember any specific difficulties there, so I'm afraid I cannot help here except the general tip of trying to catch as many targets in the explosion and the scaling issues mentioned above.

Melee Rampage — the jumping strike usually kills all weak mobs around you, and the next wave should appear immediately. If it doesn't it could be just a lag. Try porting to a friend in a different shard.

Time Trials — level up your Runners level to 16. Remap your controls so that you can steer and boost simultaneously (on keyboard + mouse use WASD + RMB or LShift + Arrow keys, on gamepad map the boost to one of the bumpers). Learn the track. Learn to control the quad in the air (yeah, it's counter-intuitive I know) so that when you land you won't lose much speed or direction.

Volge Siege pursuit — If I remember correctly, the Volge incursion in San Fran that leads to a Bathhouse Siege, works for a Stage 10 Siege pursuit. But I could be wrong on that. The incursion usually gathers more people so it's more likely to pass Stage 10.

Completion of other situational pursuits like specific sieges, arkfalls and incursions can be sped up by jumping between shards to your frienda and looking what's happening on their shards.

acidman
02-13-2016, 05:48 AM
Can you get to level 6000 through normal gameplay?

No , at a certain point you won't get any further XP.
You must do some pursuits

I'm uncertain if it is worth bothering chasing the Volge Pursuits, as the Sieges are so infrequent as to be a waste of time locating.
I have better things to do then stand around for hours staring at a map for something that takes ages to arrive!

You need more friends :)
If you do shard-hopping you'll get into a siege nearly every 10-15 min.

Tilarta
02-13-2016, 06:13 AM
So I'm basically wasting my time even trying to get to 6k EGO?
If I'm forced to do things I dislike to earn it, then it's not worth bothering to even attempt.

And I did try the story route, but it never works out, I keep running into bosses whose speciality of the day is Steamrolling and Oneshots.
The only advice I was given was get to 6k ego (the justification given was with 6k ego weapons, you can't be beaten) without playing any story, which caused me to question the wisdom of that statement and the logic capabilities of everyone who made that suggestion.

What is a Shard?
I am unfamiliar with that term.

acidman
02-13-2016, 06:23 AM
there are differnt "shards" on the server - like another instance of the same map - hard to discribe :D
if you look at your friends-list you will notice , that some friends (who are online) have a RED icon in front of the name - that means they are on a different shard. If you jump/teleport to this friend you get into his shard.
On every shard are different arkfalls/sieges/events .....

Even now with the actual CC-event everyone is "hopping through the shards" to find a CC-final
But as I said , you need a lot of friends ;)

Keeper Riff
02-13-2016, 06:44 AM
The only advice I was given was get to 6k ego (the justification given was with 6k ego weapons, you can't be beaten) without playing any story, which caused me to question the wisdom of that statement and the logic capabilities of everyone who made that suggestion. You don't need to go full 6k to be able to beat the storyline. 4k Should be enough. I've done the storyline of my third character when she was EGO 1.5 k or so. 6k EGO means that you've completed every aspect of the game. If that's not your way of playing then simply don't bother trying to get to the cap.

What is a Shard?
I am unfamiliar with that term. Shards are different instances of the game world. Each shard contains 100-200 players or so. If more join the game, the server opens another shard and places people there. So sometimes you can /tell your friend you're coming to Iron Demon, he/she also moves there but you don't see each other because you're on different shards. Your Friends List shows which friend is on your shard (Green √) and which one is on a different one (Red X). So what you want to do is to port to a friend who has his name marked with an X to change shard.

acidman
02-13-2016, 06:58 AM
And if there aren't enough friends online you can jump through the shards on your own.

Easiest way is to logout and login , most of the time you'll get on the same shard , but if you do it 2 or 3 times you'll reach a different shard.
Other way is to join a shadowwar-game which isn't diplayed on YOUR map ! Join and leave the game again.

M4ntiCOr3
02-13-2016, 07:24 AM
Its better to do the Pursuits @ nearly Ego 4800(i noticed a significant slower leveling near that Ego than before..),
because you problably have now all Vehicles to Lvl. 20, just by playing until 4.8k,
you maybe have many Weaponslevel high enough to complete them faster and best Reason,
you know the Game good enough.

Just use often different Weapons and be open to new Weapontypes u generally dont like,
some of them maybe surprise you.

For myself, most Pursuits are frustrating because they need alot of Time, like PvP-ones, because i dont liked PvP, but after growing and understanding most Aspects of PvP, i completed many of these Pursuits in 1-2 Weeks.

The biggest Problem getting Ego 6k for myself,
i see in those getting 15 Clanmembers into Arkfalls or PvP,
because in most Clans i was a Member,
there werent more than 5 Players online.
Devs should definitly lower these Social Pursuits, because theyre actually not completable.

Sry, for my lousy English. :)

Shtank
02-13-2016, 08:21 AM
there is an overlying theme here that doesn't work, overall... you want it like you want a big mac, you're looking for a shortcut... its not fast food, its an mmo meant to be enjoyed over the long haul... and accomplishments appreciated for the vast effort exerted

as you level up weapons, your proficiency grows not only physically, but electronically, too, since you get boosts for high levels... so the rampages become less problematic

doctordabs posted a recent thread on the racing pursuits that got me over the hump... after 2 years of struggling...
Tutorial: How to Gold your Races - (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?233099-Tutorial-How-to-Gold-your-Races)

... and no one has mentioned to you yet that everyone @ ego 6000 has done the DLC pursuits?... there are requisite pursuits you can't see until you've purchased the DLCs, too, in order to reach the illusive 6k mark

good luck, and happy hunting!!

Johnny Gatt
02-13-2016, 11:56 AM
You are only wasting your time if YOU think you are wasting your time. I have two toons at 6k with two more at 5776 and 5256 repectively. The 5776 only needs one non pvp pursuit for 15 ego ( The dreaded 5000 sniper kills ) and then either pvp or expedition pursuits to get to 6k. Both pvp and season 3 pursuits are time consuming so it will take a while to get that toon to 6k.
My main toon, Johnny gatt... I did pvp as a low ego, so it was not as much of a grind to complete those pursuits to hit the old cap of 5000.I got a little boost with season two pursuits and 450 xp when ark tech revolution dropped, which put me to new cap of 5900 and then some. When cap was raised to 6k. That toon was already over 6k so ego was automatic. If cap is raised to 6100 I am already there with that toon. I have completed zero pursuits in expeditions which would give me another 100 ego I believe.

I do have to note that Johnny is my oldest toon and as such, had access to 35 more ego for original season one content that most players cannot get.
My other 6k toon I got without having to do all pvp pursuits, but I did have to do most. Again, I did pvp with that toon as I was levelling. If cap is raised though, I would have to work harder to get that toon to new cap as opposed to Johnny.

Johnny Gatt
02-13-2016, 12:00 PM
There are some good threads out there that lay out all pursuits needed to get to 6k and beyond if you can bump them past the necro nazis.

Tilarta
02-13-2016, 12:14 PM
Most of my confusion on the EGO rating relates to how this is not like all the other mmos I have tried.
Yes, I know you have to invest time in mmos, but compared to them, Defiance is doing it backwards.

The standard model I am familiar with bumps you up to the level cap relatively quickly and then the majority of the time is invested in finding your loot, doing reputation or whatever else you need to get properly equipped with the top level gear at the cap rating.

But with Defiance, it feels like the reverse, I'm investing so much time into levelling I don't have time to invest in seeking my gear.
And at my low EGO level (1,216) odds are anything I purchase would just be an unneccessary waste of Reputation points that I am preferring to reserve for my level 6k gear.

Also, I suspect that some Pursuits, no matter how hard you try, will always be impractical to pursue.
The most common thorn in my side is the Gold Skitterling in the Liro Arena.
It keeps evading me and when I attempt to chase it down, all I get is killed by the myriad other enemies I actually should be fighting.

The other one that is of concern is the one that lists player revives in Arkfalls (I'm uncertain if revives anywhere else count).
Since Arkfalls are just a waste of my time (because I don't get any loot), I tend to avoid them.
And most players going to them don't get defeated anyway, so no revives.

Given the two cases I cited above, I hope there is a little leeway in EGO levelling.
For example, I don't want to be up around 5998 EGO and cursing the fact that I didn't get enough Gold Skitterings or Player Revives and these are the only things holding me back from the cap.

As regards PvP, I avoid it because I know from bitter experience that all you achieve is to die.
Players who commit their lives to this activity have spent ages making a KillYouDieNow build that can't be beaten.
And since I don't believe in the CookieCutter approach to gaming (where everyone uses a premade build), it always puts me at a disadvantage when dealing with PvP CookieCutters as enemies.
That's why I don't think it is practical for me to consider PvP Pursuits, if I don't meet the required targets (whatever they may be), then all I am doing is just pointless matches that waste time.

Fallen_Aingeal
02-13-2016, 12:35 PM
http://www.defiancedata.com/page=222/ego-rating

This link explains ego leveling.

You will NEVER come close to 6k if you don't pvp, finish the story line, complete the challenges with silver, level up ALL weapons and vehicles to 20.

Johnny Gatt
02-13-2016, 12:52 PM
A lot of the issues.... and frustrations with getting to 6k involve the transition to free to play. Most pursuits and missions in season 1 were designed before changes were made to threat level scaling,armor and plates. Etc.
Some pursuits require you to be much higher in ego. You problem with gold sKitterlings in thorn liro will be an afterthought when you go in with a level 4000 bmg.
Some hot shots and rampages are bugged like an earlier poster noted. Use the perks that he recommended.
For races you need to be skill level 16 or better in runners. I smh when new players go right to hidden vendor to buy the orange Challenger as soon as they get 30k. I understand that they don't want to look like a noob riding around on the lawnmower, but the sooner the runner is at 20 the better. I usually hit 20 on runners around 1500 or so ego. I have 7 toons. 6 of the 7 toons have gold in all races.
For pvp pursuits, I say the earlier the better. Expect to die a lot. Learn which guns and perks work best and run with them. If you are in pvp to do just pursuits, you don't have to be the best, you just have to meet the pursuit requirements. They are time consuming, so budget time for pvp balanced against time for pve and those pursuits as well.
Also, do not wait to hit the XP cap before grinding pursuits. I cannot stress how much that is going to suck. Rack up xp and pursuits together as much as you can for as long as you can. After you hit the cap, if you are balanced, you should be between 5200 to 5500 ego. At that point you should be finishing up some of the lengthy pursuits like pvp, living to kill, a few hot shots and rampages you could not do at earlier ego. Etc. Chimera pursuits are easier at this time too as you can go in by yourself without relying on a higher ego player to get you into Xpert coops.

Tilarta
02-13-2016, 01:45 PM
If this wasn't complicated enough, now I have to worry about a EXP level cap too? :eek:

Since I maxed all the EGO skills I wanted, I am not so concerned with EXP anymore, I take it as it comes.
Mostly I'm just stuffing the excess EGO points anywhere I can find room.
At the moment, I maxed out Cloak and am filling up Blur, just in case I use them later.
I might start dropping points in supporting skills after Blur is maxed.

I think that is listed as a Pursuit too.
Ego Evolution VI: Fully Upgrade 80 Perks.
I assume you don't need to have the Perks in question actively slotted, just maxed.

I don't know if I should use Decoy, I always hated that skill in Mass Effect as a playable character.
It was essentially the same thing, make a copy of yourself to distract enemies.
I didn't allow EDI to use it because I wanted to know exactly where the real friendly AI mechanoid was, not her duplicate!

acidman
02-14-2016, 05:34 AM
I don't know if I should use Decoy

It's only good when you're alone and many enemies are around you. Or for doing some tricks ;-)
EDIT : forgotten , for Warmaster start :)

Cloak is for PVP or LowEgo to stay alive
Blur has only one purpose : Motherlode :D
Overcharge works everywhere

true
02-14-2016, 07:16 AM
Well the 1st thing I can tell you is to pick one pursuit to focus on at a time & look it up on you tube. There are vids there to help you through anything in the game.

As for weapons and ego power pursuits same thing -- just pick 1 each and use them till complete. It's mostly about persistence.

To revive 100 players in major arkfalls go the the boss battle (mechanized hunter) in in the dark matter arkfalls and start running around reviving people. i've revived 10 to 20 people at a time doing this one, but it is easier to do when there's not a named event going on.

For the shot gun hotshots like moonshine shack you need to max out and equip the ammo scavanger perk. Because they end 1 of 2 ways - run out of amo or die, but with this perk you'll have stored ammo galore.

As for the 15 freinds & clan mates pursuits send a freind invite to anybody you see and type in the zone chat asking for random people to either join a clan you make and/or friend up or for a clan that already has an active base to do these. You can clear them out of your friends list after achieved, but the more active in game freinds you have the easier it is to find major arkfalls in named events.

For the 5000 sniper kills get ya a volge blast rifle or the battle rifle (can't remember which one is the sniper its been so long) and go into the 1st thorn liro arena and shot a bunch of hell bugs in round 2 or 3 i beleive it is. The volge rifle is an explosive type sniper that will let you accumulate kills quick in hell bug swarms.

Hope this helps you a little.

Ray8888
02-14-2016, 03:19 PM
If this wasn't complicated enough, now I have to worry about a EXP level cap too? :eek:

Since I maxed all the EGO skills I wanted, I am not so concerned with EXP anymore, I take it as it comes.

The XP gives 4266 ego without any pursuits. Everybody gets frustrated at about 5700. Everybody. That is the point where you gotta do the tedious stuff. Most complain about the Races and PvP. You dont have to do them all but you have to do some. I got to 6k without golding any of the races. PvP was the lesser of the evils for me.

You want all the numbers click here... http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?210766-New-Maximum-EGO-Calculations-(Post-Alcatraz)-as-of-Apr.-14-2015

Atticus Batman
02-14-2016, 07:24 PM
The XP gives 4266 ego without any pursuits. Everybody gets frustrated at about 5700. Everybody. That is the point where you gotta do the tedious stuff. Most complain about the Races and PvP. You dont have to do them all but you have to do some. I got to 6k without golding any of the races. PvP was the lesser of the evils for me.

You want all the numbers click here... http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?210766-New-Maximum-EGO-Calculations-(Post-Alcatraz)-as-of-Apr.-14-2015

Exactly. If you do all the PVP pursuits, then you don't have to gold the races. However you do have to silver all of them, last I recall. However I am at like 5700 and haven't silvered them all and still need around 250 PVP kills (and 15 clanmates in a shadowwar). Do I actually care enough to grind out the stuff that annoys me, like golding races or doing Expos? No, because I play for fun, so max level is no big deal.

Besides there are currently no real reasons to reach max ego, other than the self gratification at doing so; The feeling of pride that you indeed got to max cap and earned it (so self-gratification that you should feel proud about and enjoy.); Bragging rights as a way to make yourself feel like you are better at the game than others (and I have seen this attitude a lot since the game went F2P on Xbox); or because you are a min/max player and must always deal max damage (which is fine, just please don't complain about my weapon choices too much. I know that some of my choices are considered crap. However I like to use what I want, and I have an unorthodox play-style that works for me in most games that I play.).

Tilarta
02-14-2016, 11:43 PM
My current frustration is with the weekly reputation pursuits.
The one identified for Soleptor Enterprises never launches because it is a Co-Op map and not enough players queue to launch it.
Defiant Few, I have no idea where to find these enemies listed, nor do I feel like finding 3 specific kinds of foes, so that's also out.
7th Legion requires you to do a specific one-shot Incursion and those are not common.
There's a couple of others that focus on Expeditions and the last time I tried one, I got wiped by the boss level enemy I was told to fight.

Given this amount of negative experience, I'm hoping the Reputation Pursuits can be ignored.

My other frustration is that Going Commando insists you get to rank 10 in Infectors.
I am trying it, but the weapon is so low in DPS, it's limiting my ability to fight enemies.
Against some of the more powerful enemies, it feels like it isn't even harming them!

I don't even want to think about the ones that insist you must use a specific EGO skill to defeat 5000 enemies!

My problem with the Race based pursuits is that I spend so much time watching the timer to see if I am getting Silver, it's impossible to concentrate on the racetrack at the same time.
And the more frustrated I get at not being able to meet the target, the more I fail.

The ones relating to the rocket or grenade launcher always seem to fail for the same reason, not enough ammo and the enemies won't group up so I can take out high numbers with one shot.
When I run out of ammo, it's game over.
Crystal Defense was particularly annoying for this, they'd run around in groups of 2 or 3, never 10 or more.

I'm hoping in the unlikely event that I complete most of the Pursuits successfully, I'll have gotten to 6k ego without PvP so I can skip doing them, since I dislike it so intensely.

And if you are curious as to why I want to be maxed, it's so I can play a story mode mission without dying 100 times over.
That's the only motivation here.

Although a secondary motivation was the Artic Freeze pack they added to the store about a week or more ago.
Since I like ice based weapons, I thought it might be worth buying.
Then I noticed the EGO level required for the weapon in the pack (6000) and realized it would be pointless to buy it as I couldn't use the weapon!
I hope that is a permanent item so I don't miss out on it if I ever get to 6k EGO.

Fallen_Aingeal
02-14-2016, 11:55 PM
*snip*
Then I noticed the EGO level required for the weapon in the pack (6000) and realized it would be pointless to buy it as I couldn't use the weapon!
I hope that is a permanent item so I don't miss out on it if I ever get to 6k EGO.That EGO on the advertisement card is just a stock number to show what the weapons will do at max ego.

When you purchase the bundle, the weapons will fall to your ego or 100 less.

true
02-15-2016, 06:47 AM
In my opinion and from what i've heard from a few poeple that particular bundle is over rated anyways your money would be better spent with the patron pass because it gives you bonuses for all your weapons, viehical and ego bonuses for leveling up.

As for lvling guns - right now the colony courtship is going on so get to them majors and use them. You'll be surprized at how fast those weapons will lvl.

The biggest thing is to just be a little patient. Most of the pursuits and enemy based pursuits have a habit of completing by just playing the game. Also the 1st character that I ran the races on I put a piece of tape over the timer area on my screen and actually did pretty good at that time.

I despised PvP as well, but with persistence and a lot of dying I achieved most of them.

Expect to die A lot, but just keep going and you'll start to see that these things get easier as you go.