PDA

View Full Version : The Possibilities for "End-Game"

Arkamenitas
08-30-2012, 07:04 PM
this is pretty much a suggestion/speculation thread, since I haven't seen any recent threads on the subject.

So, we know this is going to have a certain amount of MMO elements. Levelling (though iirc not called that specifically, more of a "power rating" than a level), etc. Which kind of got me wondering - What are the possibilities for "end game", when you have (what i assume will be) the higher difficulty zones?

Elite/master difficulty missions?
Large Scale "Raid-Like" Pve missions?
Large scale pvp?

One has to wonder what exactly they'll do with this mmo/tps hybrid, if there will indeed be an "end-game" per se.

Thoughts? ideas? has anybody seen any news/videos/etc on this topic?

mdagli1
09-03-2012, 11:13 AM
The only possibility I see with any mmo end game is:

"we're shutting your server down. NO REFUNDS! MWHAHAHA"
"sure thing boss! what's the next IP do you want to exploit next?"

Arkamenitas
09-03-2012, 01:56 PM
o harro mdagli

DougFlorence
09-03-2012, 10:19 PM
The only possibility I see with any mmo end game is:

"we're shutting your server down. NO REFUNDS! MWHAHAHA"
"sure thing boss! what's the next IP do you want to exploit next?"

Ohh poor Tabula Rasa you deserved so much more

mdagli1
09-04-2012, 01:16 AM
I wasn't directly referring to TR but I guess it is a small component of it.

It's more about the idea around cloud computing and how business policies use servers, specifically around liability upon loss of data and the notification period for removal of that data. (How valuable realistically is your data that someone may hold about you?) But I digress...

In the context of an RPG there are a few models:
* Endlessly escalating difficulty to level up
* Content exclusively accessible only to high levels such game modes, maps or equipment
* Farm farm farm...
* Endless upgrade mode making the perfect gear a thing of the past
* Endless gauntlet/waves mode

In an MMO sense:
* social/community events such as massive wars that can only be manually organised
* open trade
* open source (sand boxing, moding, maps, community servers)

I've experienced most of this in one form or another. But to maintain interest requires formality.

Kalbuir
09-05-2012, 07:17 AM
During my chat with Rob Hill at GamesCom we talked a little bit about raiding in Defiance and he said that Arkfalls can be seen as the raids of Defiance. They start small as you begin with the game but become multi stage events throughout progression.

I played one of the very first Arkfalls that was put in the game, the one you saw in the E3 demo and for a "small" one it lasted quite long (15 - 20 min) and was quite challenging with constant dodging, alternating targets, keeping adds of team mates etc.

I would not expect to see content where 20 people go into an instance 5 days of the week to work on progression to an instance.