PDA

View Full Version : Are Dark Matter combat cowards?

Tilarta
03-04-2016, 09:22 PM
I've been fighting Dark Matter for a long time now and it has become really obvious that they don't have the courage for true combat.

As soon as the fight starts going badly for them, they run away or hide.
Monitors are the ones most guilty of this, as soon as their personal cover shield (the blue barrier they generate) shuts down, they instantly retreat from the battle!

I was just battling Dark Matter in a Liro Arena and all I had to do was point my weapon at them to scare them off!
I didn't even have to fire it!
It's like they were thinking "oh stakk, that's a rocket launcher, now would be a good time to run away".

Which makes me wonder if they are too reliant on having combat superiority?
As in, they will only engage an enemy when they have an advantage over their foe?
When the fight is equal or they are at a disdadvantage, they seem to lose their courage in battle and retreat.

Claydough
03-04-2016, 10:08 PM
wait till you do heaven sent expo.

nobody shoots at you there, they're just running for the green buffs the whole time

Nefarious
03-04-2016, 10:31 PM
Ironically this sounds exactly like pvp. ;):p:rolleyes:

Tilarta
03-04-2016, 11:27 PM
wait till you do heaven sent expo.

I went in there just to have a look.
It was even funnier then you described! :D:rolleyes:

I wanted to get a few Bolt Action/Cloak kills for the Snipe from the Shadows Pursuit.
Everytime I got a bead on their head for the killshot, they immediately ran away or behind something.
When the Monitor activated his shield, they were all standing behind it!
I was like, okay, there's 5 of you and the Monitor in that tiny space, isn't a bit crowded?

One of Dark Matter actually worked up the courage to face me uno-on-solo and as soon as I depleted his shield (I used a sword) he immediately went scurrying back to the others!
C'mon, you have a laser gun, I have a metal blade and you're still running away?

The only time they actually wanted to fight me was when they green buffed up, all other times, they avoided combat.

tarmim
03-05-2016, 02:16 AM
Ironically this sounds exactly like pvp. ;):p:rolleyes:

Lmao this may just be the best post out there :rolleyes:

tarmim
03-05-2016, 02:17 AM
I went in there just to have a look.
It was even funnier then you described! :D:rolleyes:

I wanted to get a few Bolt Action/Cloak kills for the Snipe from the Shadows Pursuit.
Everytime I got a bead on their head for the killshot, they immediately ran away or behind something.
When the Monitor activated his shield, they were all standing behind it!
I was like, okay, there's 5 of you and the Monitor in that tiny space, isn't a bit crowded?

One of Dark Matter actually worked up the courage to face me uno-on-solo and as soon as I depleted his shield (I used a sword) he immediately went scurrying back to the others!
C'mon, you have a laser gun, I have a metal blade and you're still running away?

The only time they actually wanted to fight me was when they green buffed up, all other times, they avoided combat.

Try tier 115 heaven sent , nobody's running away from you then :p

MrHulot
03-05-2016, 03:12 AM
The Hellbugs are always charging you (except for the Archers). The Mutants, the Raiders, and the Afflicted always either charge you or stand their ground. Seeking cover when they are being overwhelmed by enemy fire is what makes Dark Matter a tougher enemy - they have the sense to realize that if they are not killed, they can keep fighting back and maybe win. Being evasive is smart, not cowardly. Just like using machine guns and artillery instead of swords and spears is smart instead of cowardly, although it never seems that way to the people with the spears.

Tilarta
03-05-2016, 06:18 AM
There's a great deal of difference between ducking behind cover and sending a warmech to do the fighting for you.
That's the main reason I think Dark Matter are cowards, when faced with real opposition, their response is to send a massively overpowered unmanned combat machine to fight the enemy in their stead?
And sometimes more then one.

When you get to a certain stage in the Infected Sieges, they send 9, maybe 18 Bulwarks, but don't have the courage to show themselves personally.
When I attacked the Dark Matter base directly, the room is filled with soldiers and when they start loosing badly to 4 enemies, they immediately send a pair of Bulwarks to finish what they should not have started!

Anyone who's faced a Monolith in battle can testify to the fact it is overkill.
One direct hit from any of it's weapons or just simply being stomped on with it's ground pounder attack will finish you.

I am thinking Dark Matter don't owe their combat superiority to anything other then just having "big guns" and "protection tech".

doctordabs
03-05-2016, 06:26 AM
Yeh?
God forbid they aren't cowards ... try doing a solo exped at Heaven Sent over tier30

PithHelmetIrath
03-05-2016, 06:33 AM
This sounds like a masterful job of blending kayfabe and reality..

Claydough
03-05-2016, 07:08 AM
if you think the way dark matter run is a display of 'smart' AI, then you have not played many games

most of the time, they run from cover into you bullets and get themselves killed

Hexthat
03-05-2016, 08:38 AM
DM get so scared in heaven sent they run threw walls and hide in rooms you cant reach.

Johnny Gatt
03-05-2016, 08:43 AM
In a real sense, dark matter are trained, professional soldiers. They are not going to charge in the open. Soldiers are not trained to do that. Raiders are amateurs and behave as such. Mutants are too high on adreno to remember their training. Bugs are just dumb bugs. Dark matter behaves in their own fashion so you need to be prepared with correct loadouts to engage them. You also have to have a different mindset to deal with them compared to other enemies. If you like to run around with sword all the time, I am glad you like to have fun with it. You are probably the purple dot laying on ground incapacitated as I run past you at a siege.

Mrdr
03-05-2016, 10:51 AM
In a real sense, dark matter are trained, professional soldiers. They are not going to charge in the open. Soldiers are not trained to do that. Raiders are amateurs and behave as such. Mutants are too high on adreno to remember their training. Bugs are just dumb bugs. Dark matter behaves in their own fashion so you need to be prepared with correct loadouts to engage them. You also have to have a different mindset to deal with them compared to other enemies. If you like to run around with sword all the time, I am glad you like to have fun with it. You are probably the purple dot laying on ground incapacitated as I run past you at a siege.

Yup. Exactly.

west
03-05-2016, 01:32 PM
Yeh?
God forbid they aren't cowards ... try doing a solo exped at Heaven Sent over tier30
Ive soloed tier 36+ heavens. The dark matter run to get the green power up like lil addicts. Heaven sents not hard once your comfortable with your set up.

MrHulot
03-05-2016, 06:09 PM
There's a great deal of difference between ducking behind cover and sending a warmech to do the fighting for you.
That's the main reason I think Dark Matter are cowards, when faced with real opposition, their response is to send a massively overpowered unmanned combat machine to fight the enemy in their stead?
And sometimes more then one.

When you get to a certain stage in the Infected Sieges, they send 9, maybe 18 Bulwarks, but don't have the courage to show themselves personally.
When I attacked the Dark Matter base directly, the room is filled with soldiers and when they start loosing badly to 4 enemies, they immediately send a pair of Bulwarks to finish what they should not have started!

Anyone who's faced a Monolith in battle can testify to the fact it is overkill.
One direct hit from any of it's weapons or just simply being stomped on with it's ground pounder attack will finish you.

I am thinking Dark Matter don't owe their combat superiority to anything other then just having "big guns" and "protection tech".

The above is exactly the way people who do NOT have tanks and ground attack aircraft feel about people who DO: that they are cowards for using them. That kind of thinking is unproductive, but it makes them feel better when they lose.

I've been doing better in Defiance lately, and it's because I've been running away more and standing my ground and dying less.

Mrdr
03-06-2016, 06:09 AM
The above is exactly the way people who do NOT have tanks and ground attack aircraft feel about people who DO: that they are cowards for using them. That kind of thinking is unproductive, but it makes them feel better when they lose.

I've been doing better in Defiance lately, and it's because I've been running away more and standing my ground and dying less.

You hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately, I've been tanking more often than running for cover when I should, so I've been dying more than I used to. I think it's because I got a false sense of security when my ego went up and it took a bit longer than typical for npcs to kill me. So, I've been just running in and killing everything I can until I get overwhelmed by npcs and start dying all over the place. LOL, you'd think I would've learned my lesson sooner but no...I'm an idiot sometimes.

I'm going to try being more evasive again...HRs will last longer...