PDA

View Full Version : xbox be an mmo?

slysky
02-18-2013, 08:47 PM
some one might of already ask or talked about this but I couldn't find it but will xbox be able to support 64 players in a game?

Dekar
02-18-2013, 08:54 PM
The Xbox version of the game will be just as expansive as the pc an ps3, so to answer your question, yes, this game will be the closest thing to a true mmo the Xbox has. You can see upwards of hundreds of simultaneous players. I have no clue if they will require any instancing, but of course the goal is to make it one persistent world.

Rokkrwolf
02-18-2013, 08:58 PM
The Xbox version of the game will be just as expansive as the pc an ps3, so to answer your question, yes, this game will be the closest thing to a true mmo the Xbox has. You can see upwards of hundreds of simultaneous players. I have no clue if they will require any instancing, but of course the goal is to make it one persistent world.

^ This pretty much, whatever you see for the pc applies to all platforms.

DuoMaxwell007
02-18-2013, 11:17 PM
some one might of already ask or talked about this but I couldn't find it but will xbox be able to support 64 players in a game?

final fantasy xi

Raidenz
02-19-2013, 12:09 AM
This is an MMO... it isn't call of duty or halo with their small groups of multiplayer, and I do consider 64 players to be a small group because it is. It is a massive persistent world that you can freely explore without waiting for a "match" to start like the FPS console games that you know. Now with that said, it does have a match making system inside the game for some PvP. This game needs to be explained to console players a bit better since they do not understand MMOs, it would help many decide if they want to play it if they actually know what the game is.

Dead_Phoenix
02-19-2013, 01:41 AM
Yes its definatly an mmo.

basically unlike games like bf or cod, mmo only have to handle what's within your draw distance, which at anyone time will only be a hand full of players, or if in a major city or gathering point will be no more then a hundred or so. And most of them wont be doing much so requiring little power. games like bf and cod have constant rendering of all players within a map, which is why there limited, among other reasons off

You will be playing with an obscene amount of players. Just remember the map is very big and there spread out over miles of map, coop instances, pvp arenas and different shards. We havnt got any offical numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the 10,000's or 1000's at the least

StickyChief
02-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Yes its definatly an mmo.

basically unlike games like bf or cod, mmo only have to handle what's within your draw distance, which at anyone time will only be a hand full of players, or if in a major city or gathering point will be no more then a hundred or so. And most of them wont be doing much so requiring little power. games like bf and cod have constant rendering of all players within a map, which is why there limited, among other reasons off

You will be playing with an obscene amount of players. Just remember the map is very big and there spread out over miles of map, coop instances, pvp arenas and different shards. We havnt got any offical numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the 10,000's or 1000's at the least

That brings up a very good question in which i have been wondering myself, why don't other shooters like battlefield only render the player's draw distance?

Aaricane
02-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Just to be an ***.......no, a Xbox is an Xbox, not a MMO.
Defiance on the Xbox however, will be an MMO

SteelPaladin
02-19-2013, 01:48 PM
how many ppl did ff11 or pso have on consoles per server?

Dead_Phoenix
02-19-2013, 01:48 PM
That brings up a very good question in which i have been wondering myself, why don't other shooters like battlefield only render the player's draw distance?

good question im sure a Dev or programmer could answer better then me.

but my understanding is theres a few reasons, 1 map size, theres no point not rending players who are not to far away, it will not only cause lag, but snipers in the games would have a hissy fit if they cant nail someone purly because there not rendered proply. which brings me on to point number 2, its about how the server handles the connection, everytime it has to render a new person it essentially has to send the information through the connection then the device has to render the model (again why most mmos graphics are good but not COD class), this will cause serious lag issues as well as general performance issues, MMO are more about turn based events, so reaction is less important then say running around a corner and fastest finger first. this is why theres not many shooter based mmo. its a hard balance to strike.

to a degree there is always draw distance on large map games like bf, its just turned down, not off. there no point for BF to have 64 players on a map and not render them for consoler users. because of field of view. ie snipers.

Frozensword
02-19-2013, 01:57 PM

Do you mean Phantasy Star Universe since it was an mmo for the xbox 360? I played it a lot, and I think each server held 1000 people. There was usually at least one full server and 2-4 full servers during events.

Dekar
02-19-2013, 01:59 PM
PSO actually wasn't an "Mmo". You had lobbies with up to 20-30 people that would then organize into 4 player parties to actually PLAY the game. It was very instanced, but come on, it was made for the Dreamcast for pete's sake that was the closest thing to a console MMO for a long time to come. . I believe PSU was the exact same way. I personally never touched ff11

Dead_Phoenix
02-19-2013, 02:01 PM
tho i suppose it depends on your definition of Massive.

sooooo tempted to put a man size joke in there....

Aaricane
02-19-2013, 02:02 PM
PSO actually wasn't an "Mmo". You had lobbies with up to 20-30 people that would then organize into 4 player parties to actually PLAY the game. It was very instanced, but come on, it was made for the Dreamcast for pete's sake that was the closest thing to a console MMO for a long time to come. . I believe PSU was the exact same way. I personally never touched ff11Actually, PSU was a little different. Each shard, or universe as it was called in PSU, held a few 1,000 people.

Dekar
02-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Actually, PSU was a little different. Each shard, or universe as it was called in PSU, held a few 1,000 people.

Ah, I Wanted to get into it but the pc one was always super buggy for my old machine..

ItISLupus
02-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Short answer, yes. Long one- there will be hundreds or thousands of players at anytime. Can you link with all of them simultaneously? No, you can party with 3-4 other people at once to quest, instanced pvp was 8v8 if I remember the live streams right. And shadow war is like 96 people total. This was all discussed in the live streams, so no breaking NDA here

I hope this helped

StickyChief
02-19-2013, 09:51 PM
good question im sure a Dev or programmer could answer better then me.

but my understanding is theres a few reasons, 1 map size, theres no point not rending players who are not to far away, it will not only cause lag, but snipers in the games would have a hissy fit if they cant nail someone purly because there not rendered proply. which brings me on to point number 2, its about how the server handles the connection, everytime it has to render a new person it essentially has to send the information through the connection then the device has to render the model (again why most mmos graphics are good but not COD class), this will cause serious lag issues as well as general performance issues, MMO are more about turn based events, so reaction is less important then say running around a corner and fastest finger first. this is why theres not many shooter based mmo. its a hard balance to strike.

to a degree there is always draw distance on large map games like bf, its just turned down, not off. there no point for BF to have 64 players on a map and not render them for consoler users. because of field of view. ie snipers.

Ah I see, thanks for the answer! Hope this game runs smoothly on console version, we'll just have to wait for the beta and see if all goes well :).