PDA

View Full Version : PvP: No longer relevant?

r1p
04-12-2016, 05:36 PM
Lately I have begun to wonder why resources resources are being committed to PvP with the upcoming changes to ego leveling being primary linked to XP. Originally the "Winter Bash" was supposed to be a long overdue update to address bugs but it was primarily a PvP update and a bit store opportunity. Now more resources are being allocated to updating PvP while all of those same issues are still being ignored.

My opinion is that once PvP is no longer mandatory to reach 6k ego then participation is going to suffer greatly and mostly consist of a small percentage of hard-core PvP-ers. So if this ends up being the case is PvP still relevant and does it deserve the amount of developer attention that it receives?

clay marrow
04-12-2016, 05:41 PM
i for sure wont be doing it on my alt now... i'll still jump in from time to time on my main tho between events...

Ryu Soba JP
04-12-2016, 05:42 PM
I noticed the same thing but didn't want to put in any more effort asking for long standing bugs to be fixed. I wish there was a like button to "like" peoples comments on here.

Mrdr
04-12-2016, 05:44 PM
Lately I have begun to wonder why resources resources are being committed to PvP with the upcoming changes to ego leveling being primary linked to XP. Originally the "Winter Bash" was supposed to be a long overdue update to address bugs but it was primarily a PvP update and a bit store opportunity. Now more resources are being allocated to updating PvP while all of those same issues are still being ignored.

My opinion is that once PvP is no longer mandatory to reach 6k ego then participation is going to suffer greatly and mostly consist of a small percentage of hard-core PvP-ers. So if this ends up being the case is PvP still relevant and does it deserve the amount of developer attention that it receives?

As one who loves pvp, I hope not.

Pvp is the one thing in this game that doesn't feel grindy to me anymore. I used to love majors but this event, I find myself skipping anything but the ones I need to complete my holiday pursuits (wasn't able to get online much last time so I never got my slay bells). Instead, I'm trying desperately to get my one toon to as many SV incursions as I can to make sure I get my DF rep for the day and week. I'm basically share hopping until I find what I need, grind it out, then go to the vendor, etc. I'm not pvping right now because of this, but once it's over, it's either back to the grind, or to the less predictable pvp world for me.

Chump Norris
04-12-2016, 05:50 PM
I imagine not forcing people to pvp to cap will hurt the number of pvp players, then a future patch to the Echelon vendor will bring players back to pvp..

Altras
04-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Resources? It's one amazing dev and an awesome group of testers. Also, pvp hasn't been touched in years, it's long overdue. And considering competitive modes are endgame for pretty much every mmo, it's about time it got some love. People always complain about the imbalance in pvp and now that it's finally happening, people worry suddenly resources aren't being spent wisely?

Go replay season 2 and tell how properly those resources were spent.

Mister Ree
04-12-2016, 07:18 PM
All my alts are 5k+ now and pvp is pretty much untouched on all of them atm. I don't really play pvp on my 6k toon but I didn't mind doing it to hit 6k and if I'm honest I would prefer the levelling system to stay as is for a while longer. Giving us a months "grace period" while an event is on is like not giving us a chance to bring alts to 6k before the changes at all.

r1p
04-12-2016, 07:38 PM
Resources? It's one amazing dev and an awesome group of testers. Also, pvp hasn't been touched in years, it's long overdue. And considering competitive modes are endgame for pretty much every mmo, it's about time it got some love. People always complain about the imbalance in pvp and now that it's finally happening, people worry suddenly resources aren't being spent wisely?

Go replay season 2 and tell how properly those resources were spent.

It's great that one amazing dev and an awesome group of testers are putting in the time to make PvP better but it still doesn't change the question. I also don't need to replay Season 2 because that content was produced due to the contractual obligations that Trion had to SciFi and that does not apply any more. As for end game, it's been clear for quite some time that expeditions are where Trion intends to drive the end game content so unless they plan on adding way more PvP content then what is the point?

Altras
04-12-2016, 09:00 PM
then what is the point?

To get more people to enjoy pvp.

Lycan Nightshade
04-12-2016, 09:05 PM
It will turn fairly irrelevant until they do something about the echelon vendor.. but honestly im not sure what they could put in to make it worthwhile to get ppl to grind pvp...

Skiller115
04-12-2016, 11:09 PM
It will turn fairly irrelevant until they do something about the echelon vendor.. but honestly im not sure what they could put in to make it worthwhile to get ppl to grind pvp...

What Trion should do is create new good synergies in the echelon vendor and I think it should be at least 4 exclusive to pvp synergies. 2 mod based and 2 backpack based, I'm thinking that two synergies could be defensive synergies with boosts to teammates like % more damage for teammates x radius around you, or like constant shield regeneration only for nearby teammates and you also have visible effect on you similar to RD synergy!
Also offensive synergies like firerate, crit, damage, mag... I also think that these synergies should include all weapon and shield* types.

*Please no Tachyon Contender IVs!

Or Trion could just put event crates in there for 1000 Rep which are similar to the bit store crates. But I'd rather see the top idea it's better.

tig3r
04-13-2016, 02:34 AM
then what is the point?

Because it is a crucial part of the game that legitimises, though there is no direct coding that links the two, the hierarchy of weapons. The cry for BR comes from that part where weapon supremacy IS the name of the game to be able to dominate where as in PVE the need may not be as pertinent.

As for new content I don't see it as devs turning their backs on PVP but rather opening its doors to all. Its content will be that much closer to its essence when it is no longer imperative and forced upon players to do pvp.

barbelhunter
04-13-2016, 03:03 AM
Pvp for most is just for pursuits you are forced to do it to level up, If as said this is changing pvp will then be ignored by these ppl for sure.

And I agree with op all this effort to balance pvp with many aspects of the game broken seems nonsensical, All we needed to start with was ego scaling.

Bentu
04-13-2016, 03:40 AM
I can see the new Monterrey map being a blast, it should bring some life to the pvp scene for a while but it won't help with the pursuits that are specifically tied to other maps.
Which is the problem I'm having on the xbox eu server at the moment, it's very difficult to get a match in wf or ob to get those and for some reason I can't even get fy started.
Everyone is in sw for some reason.

DiskoSvir
04-13-2016, 05:27 AM
PvP would be more alive if they added more gamemodes, clan related dailies/weeklies for pvp, leaderboards or even tournaments.

r1p
04-13-2016, 06:07 AM
To get more people to enjoy pvp.

I agreed with this line of thinking right up until it was decided that pursuits were no longer necessary to reach 6k ego. A large number of players only participate in PvP to complete the pursuits so balancing it would definitely make it less of a grind and be a benefit to many of them. But now that the pursuits will no longer be necessary it only benefits the small number of PvP oriented players that continue to do it even after they have completed the pursuits. I have no idea what it is like on the other platforms but I rarely see full PvP instances and quite often you will see more people in WarMaster than in Shadow Wars. If it ends up being the case that player participation levels are minimal then it doesn't make sense to me that the limited resources afforded to the game be spent on it.

Just to be clear, I didn't create this thread in an attempt to convince Trion to stop working on PvP changes because they are going to do whatever they want to do. It isn't like they will read this thread and decide to change their mind. I did create this thread because I was curious what everyone else's perspective was. Since changes in PvP tend to have wide reaching implications that often negatively impacts the PvE side of the game I am hoping that given a wide enough range of views I might get a better understanding of how the different segments of the community see PvP in general and what it means to them going forward.

tig3r
04-13-2016, 08:33 AM
I admit it there ins't all that big of a 'scene' on ps3 EU, only a handful of dedicated players. Albeit the tiny player base there is a sense of a fledgling community of sort, a cloaked being in the dark enjoying the delicious PvP when no one else will touch them...uhh what I'm saying is that I imagine a larger player base to exist on all other platforms, maybe xbox eu is exception but then again we lack the general statistic to be able to discuss in its glorious detail.. >.>

Menetekel
04-13-2016, 09:41 AM

Maybe Echelon Rep for Ark Forge :D that would encourage more people to pvp. Easy Fix see :D

Fallen_Aingeal
04-13-2016, 09:58 AM
I agreed with this line of thinking right up until it was decided that pursuits were no longer necessary to reach 6k ego. A large number of players only participate in PvP to complete the pursuits so balancing it would definitely make it less of a grind and be a benefit to many of them. But now that the pursuits will no longer be necessary it only benefits the small number of PvP oriented players that continue to do it even after they have completed the pursuits. I have no idea what it is like on the other platforms but I rarely see full PvP instances and quite often you will see more people in WarMaster than in Shadow Wars. If it ends up being the case that player participation levels are minimal then it doesn't make sense to me that the limited resources afforded to the game be spent on it.

Just to be clear, I didn't create this thread in an attempt to convince Trion to stop working on PvP changes because they are going to do whatever they want to do. It isn't like they will read this thread and decide to change their mind. I did create this thread because I was curious what everyone else's perspective was. Since changes in PvP tend to have wide reaching implications that often negatively impacts the PvE side of the game I am hoping that given a wide enough range of views I might get a better understanding of how the different segments of the community see PvP in general and what it means to them going forward.Actually, SW has been extremely busy, even with the event going on. Of course we're not talking 128vs128, but the have been at least a couple dozen per team the last several nights. And, I've also noticed that FY has been busy also.

*EDIT*

I'm all for good changes and additions for pvp.

As a once staunch advocate against pvp, I now enjoy it immensely. And, have been known to get on the team to add some maps and work with pvp more. Glad to see it finally happening. Better late than never.

Killeralpha
04-13-2016, 06:06 PM
Personally I dont play if I.m forced to pvp.
I dont want any pvp, in all games its unballanced and full of hacks
I dont play games that have only pvp as end-game
I thought the game is dead and frankly after what they did with Archeage I wouldnt be surprised....but Im glad it isnt and I really hope they will stop wasting time with pvp and add real content
Pvp is not new content

DEATHBRINGER210
04-13-2016, 07:46 PM
I thought the game is dead and frankly after what they did with Archeage I wouldnt be surprised....but Im glad it isnt and I really hope they will stop wasting time with pvp and add real content
Pvp is not new content

new pvp maps is new content

tarmim
04-13-2016, 11:42 PM
Pvp is not new content

That's what losers say!

Lycan Nightshade
04-14-2016, 03:43 AM
When ppl complain about new content(or lack thereof) i think the question should be asked what new content do you want to see?
A new pvp map is in the works.
We just got shrill related stuff.
also hear tell some grid related stuff is in the works.....

Sorry rip wasn't exactly on topic.

r1p
04-14-2016, 05:10 AM
That's what losers say!

Don't be a tool.

DiskoSvir
04-14-2016, 05:26 AM
Pvp is not new content

It is understandable that some players don't like/enjoy PvP, but saying it is unbalanced and full of hacks in every game is a ridiculous statement. If you are bad at it, or simply don't understand how PvP works is another thing and I really, really hope they focus the next few updates on PvP more than PvE, because the past updates were only about balancing it and nothing new actually came up.

I would like to see more gamemodes, private matchmaking, leaderboards or even tournament updates for it... and btw i'm really happy that they're introducing new map for PvP, because PvP really feels left out in this game.

Lamar Kendrick
04-14-2016, 09:11 AM
i don't mind doing pvp pursuits atm on my imbue toon since i love pvp every now and then even though the new xp system will take place and besides it gives arkforge which is not bad and i have a good kill/death ratio. could play better if my analog sticks are working properly. i've broken 4 dual shocks by just playing defiance (mostly because of lag and pvp) lol

Hexthat
04-14-2016, 09:17 AM
PVP could be made better then a halo game and i still wouldn't play it, i dont play defiance for pvp

DEATHBRINGER210
04-14-2016, 09:18 AM
they dont get trophies or outfits if they dont do the pursuits tho

Lamar Kendrick
04-14-2016, 11:19 AM
they dont get trophies or outfits if they dont do the pursuits tho

this ^

so does storyline missions and other things that rewards headgears, outfits and titles

xXxDSMer
04-14-2016, 12:14 PM

It is already, as it has been for a LONG time: the majority of people pvping are those that actually like to do it.
People that don't like to do it are not going to do it, or they'll do it VERY little.
uncapping XP changes nothing really.

Mr Devlin
04-14-2016, 12:34 PM
It is already, as it has been for a LONG time: the majority of people pvping are those that actually like to do it.
People that don't like to do it are not going to do it, or they'll do it VERY little.

You are completely right on that.:rolleyes:

Another thing that helps PvP is if you belong to an active clan that will help you design good load-outs for PvP and help you when you are starting. One of the things that keeps me in the game is the "social" element. You don't excel as a "lonewolf" you need to make friends/alliances to really enjoy the game.

tig3r
04-14-2016, 01:21 PM

In all fairness those who dont enjoy pvp can now reach ego 6k without having to do it. For those who do, the new content shows promise and gets the heartrate escalated.