PDA

View Full Version : PvP in Defiance?

Cyber
06-05-2012, 06:44 AM
So just to throw this out there...are you guys hoping for significant PvP opportunities in Defiance, and if so what form (battlegrounds, PvP zones, consensual, etc.)?

I myself love PvP, and would love to see some form of PvP zones in the game.

PsychoPhobic
06-05-2012, 08:56 AM
I second that!! PvP is what keeps me playing a game long after release.

Shrapnil
06-05-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm a casual pvper myself as arenas in WoW pretty much stuck the knife in it for me, but I am looking forward to seeing what this games pvp will be like. Maybe they will be opening up world pvp zones where an arkfall event happens and its just a giant free for all to get all the resources.

Cyber
06-05-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm a casual pvper myself as arenas in WoW pretty much stuck the knife in it for me, but I am looking forward to seeing what this games pvp will be like. Maybe they will be opening up world pvp zones where an arkfall event happens and its just a giant free for all to get all the resources.

Ah another player like myself scarred by the WoW Arenas...all too common story it seems. Still, the arena PvP in the GW2 beta weekends has restored my faith somewhat in battleground type PvP (even if Firefall did not). I have to say though that I do like the feel of open-world PvP. Planetside 2 will be scratching that itch I believe, and Defiance may not be able to compete with that though. However, PS2 doesn't have PvE, while Firefall will have PvE and battlegrounds but no open-world PvP (that I know of). That means Defiance could aim to fill a niche (PvE + open-world PvP in a MMOFPS) that hasn't yet been filled (or at least, not filled well).

Adsinonimous
06-05-2012, 04:56 PM
I am really hoping there is some sort of open world PvP but I would also love some competitive PvP but maybe I'm just asking too much of a game which also seems incredible without any PvP.

Shrapnil
06-05-2012, 05:04 PM
lol I wouldn't say scarred of them. I just avoid them cause of the type of people they tend to draw to them.

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 02:02 AM
I am really excited for PvP. I don't know how it will turn out but I have always loved competing against others and killing everyone on the server!

FenK
06-06-2012, 05:12 PM
I second that!! PvP is what keeps me playing a game long after release.

Same Here! I really hope there is some PvP!

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Same Here! I really hope there is some PvP!

There will definitely be PvP. Don't worry about that. I'm just curious to how they'll integrate it and if they have done something innovative with the PvP sides of things. To be honest, it wont dishearten me if they haven't as they have innovated in so many ways already!

ultimt1
06-06-2012, 05:22 PM
open world full loot pvp or it aint pvp :)

OR as long as it doesnt require a different set of gear to do it.........valor was a lousy idea.

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Oh. That's brought up another point! How will looting work in PvP. Will it work like guildwars or can we steal gear from others? hmm. Also, will there be any rewards for pvping such as PvP points which you can purchase gear with etc.

Cyber
06-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Oh. That's brought up another point! How will looting work in PvP. Will it work like guildwars or can we steal gear from others? hmm. Also, will there be any rewards for pvping such as PvP points which you can purchase gear with etc.

Not sure about the loot system, but I would imagine the latter would be true to some degree. Having PvP without some kind of PvP reward system tends to be lacking from a gamer point of view (leaderboards work to a certain degree, but usually only for the most hardcore players), although whether or not the rewards are PvP specific or PvP simply provide another route to purchasing common gear is a toss up.

Escyos
06-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Not sure about the loot system, but I would imagine the latter would be true to some degree. Having PvP without some kind of PvP reward system tends to be lacking from a gamer point of view (leaderboards work to a certain degree, but usually only for the most hardcore players), although whether or not the rewards are PvP specific or PvP simply provide another route to purchasing common gear is a toss up.

The problem with such a system is that its nice to loot others but when your looted you tend to get a little mad.

Cyber
06-07-2012, 08:16 AM
The problem with such a system is that its nice to loot others but when your looted you tend to get a little mad.

I didn't actually suggest any type of PvP looting system, so I am not sure I get the relevance of your point directed at mine.

Escyos
06-07-2012, 08:41 AM
I didn't actually suggest any type of PvP looting system, so I am not sure I get the relevance of your point directed at mine.

I may have clicked on the wrong post. In any case I was chiming in with the general view everyone had.

Cyber
06-07-2012, 08:48 AM
I may have clicked on the wrong post. In any case I was chiming in with the general view everyone had.

Ah, I see. Well in any case, full PvP looting is not something that many players embrace. I rather like how Guild Wars 2 handles it, where you can't take someone's gear if you kill them, but you do get randomly generated loot from PvP corpses with a decent chance of finding rare drops. No one loses anything but players still get rewarded for PvP. However, I was more referring to the typical systems seen in games where PvP rewards points that can be used to purchase PvP related equipment.

Escyos
06-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Ah, I see. Well in any case, full PvP looting is not something that many players embrace. I rather like how Guild Wars 2 handles it, where you can't take someone's gear if you kill them, but you do get randomly generated loot from PvP corpses with a decent chance of finding rare drops. No one loses anything but players still get rewarded for PvP. However, I was more referring to the typical systems seen in games where PvP rewards points that can be used to purchase PvP related equipment.

That system wouldnt send me into a murderous rage, so i like it.

Adsinonimous
06-07-2012, 10:53 AM
That system wouldnt send me into a murderous rage, so i like it.

Haha, yes. I also love the way arenanet has made the loot in Guild Wars 2 non rage-worthy. It is one of the best looting systems I have seen in a while and I really hope Defiance doesn't make me rage in any way other than deaths in the game.

Nemajneb
06-07-2012, 05:22 PM
open world full loot pvp or it aint pvp :)

OR as long as it doesnt require a different set of gear to do it.........valor was a lousy idea.

Yeap, +1 I agree totally

Adsinonimous
06-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Yeap, +1 I agree totally

Hmm. I'm not sure about that one. I am really into the competitive sides of things. I love mowing down people and being in a small squad that communicate together and have strategy.

Mezmure
06-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Ah another player like myself scarred by the WoW Arenas...all too common story it seems. Still, the arena PvP in the GW2 beta weekends has restored my faith somewhat in battleground type PvP (even if Firefall did not). I have to say though that I do like the feel of open-world PvP. Planetside 2 will be scratching that itch I believe, and Defiance may not be able to compete with that though. However, PS2 doesn't have PvE, while Firefall will have PvE and battlegrounds but no open-world PvP (that I know of). That means Defiance could aim to fill a niche (PvE + open-world PvP in a MMOFPS) that hasn't yet been filled (or at least, not filled well).

In short order:
1. WoW itself as well as acti-blizzard scare me.
2. pvp love/hate as it is can be done right.
3. pigs can fly just ask a catapult xD.

Nemajneb
06-08-2012, 11:33 AM
So just to throw this out there...are you guys hoping for significant PvP opportunities in Defiance, and if so what form (battlegrounds, PvP zones, consensual, etc.)?

I myself love PvP, and would love to see some form of PvP zones in the game.

That's the only way i'll play tbh

Cyber
06-08-2012, 11:38 AM
That's the only way i'll play tbh

Yes, I have to agree that these days only games with a significant PvP component tend to draw me in, although I am willing to give any game with decent and engaging co-op PvE a look too. So what I guess I am saying is that if Defiance provides really fun co-op PvE content, I will certainly play it, although the experience would be made better by some great PvP as well :)

I wonder if this is all still being decided. It seems strange to me that we haven't heard anything at all about the possibility of PvP in the game, although I can't see any shooter type game lauching without some form of PvP in today's gaming market.

Adsinonimous
06-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Maybe they have a special feature in PvP which is why they don't release any information about it. On the other hand, they might not be releasing any information about it as there isn't any pvp in the game.

Nemajneb
06-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Yes, I have to agree that these days only games with a significant PvP component tend to draw me in, although I am willing to give any game with decent and engaging co-op PvE a look too. So what I guess I am saying is that if Defiance provides really fun co-op PvE content, I will certainly play it, although the experience would be made better by some great PvP as well :)

I wonder if this is all still being decided. It seems strange to me that we haven't heard anything at all about the possibility of PvP in the game, although I can't see any shooter type game lauching without some form of PvP in today's gaming market.

I'd be shocked if this one wasn't almost all pvp to be honest...which I hope it is. If its just another game catering towards pve...well, join the other 500 games on the market. The gaming world is missing a solid pvp game right now, although there are some really good ones coming in the future:
1. The Repopulation
2. World of Darkness
3. Archeage
4. Earthrise relaunch maybe
5. Planetside 2

Defiant Angel
06-09-2012, 01:56 PM
I think PvP zones would be cool. I also like the idea of having mass PvP events that tie directly into epic battles on the tv show.

Cyber
06-09-2012, 02:43 PM
I'd be shocked if this one wasn't almost all pvp to be honest...which I hope it is. If its just another game catering towards pve...well, join the other 500 games on the market. The gaming world is missing a solid pvp game right now, although there are some really good ones coming in the future:
1. The Repopulation
2. World of Darkness
3. Archeage
4. Earthrise relaunch maybe
5. Planetside 2

I would say there will be a huge amount of PvE in Defiance, based on the the videos we are seeing. In fact, I think there would almost need to be to ensure its success, because I an not sure it could come close to competing with Planetside 2 if it relied mostly on PvP. I would say at most PvP would account for 50% of Defiance, and I would be surprised if it was even that high unless they run with full open PvP servers (which would be nice).

Shrapnil
06-10-2012, 01:19 PM
I can say that if there is player looting in PvP which we loose actual gear and not just random items like a mob. I will be playing on PvE server. I like to casually PvP, but hate the strong punishment for dieing. I understand some pvpers like this which is fine i just dont.

Punisher
06-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Seeing as how they have approximately ten months before their planned release, I don't see PvP even being in the game at launch. Ten months out and they don't even have a closed beta (that I am aware of), makes me leery of PvP balance. I guess maybe they can do it but I've never seen a beta that only lasted a couple of months that ended up being a good game, let alone the PvP side. If the beta doesn't start up real soon, I can see the game getting pushed back or there being no PvP at launch... how that's going to work with the release of the t.v. series I have no idea.

moonboy1207
06-10-2012, 07:02 PM
all i hope for is stable pvp and a good finished product or beta

Shrapnil
06-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Seeing as how they have approximately ten months before their planned release, I don't see PvP even being in the game at launch. Ten months out and they don't even have a closed beta (that I am aware of), makes me leery of PvP balance. I guess maybe they can do it but I've never seen a beta that only lasted a couple of months that ended up being a good game, let alone the PvP side. If the beta doesn't start up real soon, I can see the game getting pushed back or there being no PvP at launch... how that's going to work with the release of the t.v. series I have no idea.

PvP in non ability spamming mmos dont take a whole lot to balance. Its when you have 8+ class's with unique abilities that balancing becomes an issue. So far from my perspective its just a 3rd person shooter with skill ups in certain weapons and armor. Again this is from my view of what i seen from the E3 reports.

Nemajneb
06-11-2012, 10:38 PM
PvP in non ability spamming mmos dont take a whole lot to balance. Its when you have 8+ class's with unique abilities that balancing becomes an issue. So far from my perspective its just a 3rd person shooter with skill ups in certain weapons and armor. Again this is from my view of what i seen from the E3 reports.

Yeap...the skill is based on how good you are more than class specific games.

Sacred Chair
06-13-2012, 04:46 AM
Oh, a perfect place for a PvP debate. I will try to be as direct with my points as possible.

1. Keep in mind that this is the first attempt to create such a hybrid of entertainment (that I'm aware of) and would require a lot of work to satisfy both the gaming and TV viewing communities.

2. On the gaming front, PvP and PvE seems to intermingle with the introduction of ark fall events, leaving enough PvE for players to stand unified to accomplish a common goal, and enough PvP to satisfy to knock some players down a few pegs without setting the whole community aflame and leaving before the TV series can even get its first season successfully finished.

3. The TV series and MMOG from what I understand seems to be very co-dependent, and in my personal opinion there should be much more PvE than PvP so that players can stay unified and help stick with the story of the TV series so it remains sensible and successful.

In summary, like I said in the beginning, this project cannot be taken too lightly. I would not be surprised if Defiance is a bit lackluster in the PvP department, so it will have to make up for that with very engaging and unified co-op features.

Now that my points have been stated, let the debate begin!

Escyos
06-13-2012, 04:51 AM
3. The TV series and MMOG seems to be very co-dependent.

You do know that what they mean by tied together is that someone may mention "that recent arkfall in San Francisco" and thats about it. There is no way that they can mention anything not planned ahead as they would have already shot the episode months beforehand. Plus (just saying it) no one persons player will ever appear in the show, I've seen many articles that seem to indicate that Syfy intends to put a players character in the show.

It will be small stuff. However that is not to say that I wouldn't jump at the opportunity to play myself in the show. :D

Sacred Chair
06-13-2012, 04:57 AM
True, but "tied together" also implies that a part is, even perhaps minimally, creating a more dynamic TV show itself. Heck, speculating this whole ordeal is half the fun of this hype.

Punisher
06-13-2012, 07:24 AM

I respectfully disagree. We don't really know too much yet about the game. However, based on some of the gameplay videos we've seen, there is going to be character progression via some sort of leveling system. Anytime you have character progression (i.e. leveling up), you have to do a lot of balancing around that. Then you throw in balancing weapons, armor, skills, etc. and suddenly you have a fair amount of balancing that needs to be done when it comes to PvP or even PvE.

We don't yet know if there will be classes in the game, which is why I am not even mentioning them.

Hopefully, Trion learned from the mistake that is Rift. Good concept, poor execution imo.

Adsinonimous
06-13-2012, 12:56 PM
What I really want to see in the PvP in Defiance is the skill that you need in competitive shooters but on the massive scale that you get with MMOs.

Punisher
06-15-2012, 08:35 AM
After catching the E3 sticky, I look forward to Gamescom to see how PvP is going to work! However I am still very worried about the lack of a beta this late in development for balancing. I really hope I am wrong though, because from what little I've seen this game looks great so far!

Arkamenitas
07-14-2012, 08:15 PM
pretty hard to imagine a shooter without pvp...

that's like toast without peanut butter. it's just not the same

Necrullz
07-27-2012, 05:07 AM
Oh there will be PvP, I'm hoping for large team-based PvP to be honest, 30/side or something epic, they're always great fun even if they are 100x less skillful than solo PvP in a majority of cases (not all..) since it'll force guilds and teams to work together, assign common roles and such and bring everyone in a team closer together/

Jenbuu
07-27-2012, 07:14 AM
squad based is always good, with a tier leadership.

but yes large scale would be good just implemented right :) imagine fighting over a power source or something like that

Kalbuir
07-27-2012, 11:04 AM
squad based is always good, with a tier leadership.

but yes large scale would be good just implemented right :) imagine fighting over a power source or something like that

I have to agree squad based is always good, and I have a feeling Defiance will have no problem nailing that down. Large scale will really depend how large of a scale, could still be interesting especially over certain regions with control points to defend.

Personally for large scale PVP I have always been a fan of handing out rewards the longer an area remains under control of the same group / faction. As in most games you just see people go from castle / base to castle / base without really worrying about what they just took. Defense should be just as important (if not more important) than offense.

Jenbuu
07-27-2012, 04:16 PM
I have to agree squad based is always good, and I have a feeling Defiance will have no problem nailing that down. Large scale will really depend how large of a scale, could still be interesting especially over certain regions with control points to defend.

Personally for large scale PVP I have always been a fan of handing out rewards the longer an area remains under control of the same group / faction. As in most games you just see people go from castle / base to castle / base without really worrying about what they just took. Defense should be just as important (if not more important) than offense.

did you ever play eve online? i mean the pvp in that was great, granted when you got a few thousand people in one area you were laggy as anything but still having different squads doing different things was really fun, and then you had the whole bandit scenario which was fun too.

i love sandbox games a really do they have so much potential

Kalbuir
07-27-2012, 04:24 PM
did you ever play eve online? i mean the pvp in that was great, granted when you got a few thousand people in one area you were laggy as anything but still having different squads doing different things was really fun, and then you had the whole bandit scenario which was fun too.

i love sandbox games a really do they have so much potential

PVP in sandbox MMO's is always great, the large scale PVP of EVE and the diplomacy and inter corp relations behind it was one of the best things in my opinion. I don't expect Defiance be have such depth though but it doesn't have to be, for example the world vs world of Guild Wars 2 is quite ok as well although can't be compared in anyway with EVE's massive fleet battles.

Sam
07-30-2012, 11:30 AM
I would love a full time FFA PVP just because it sets a lawless land feel.

Aaronjin
07-31-2012, 12:51 PM
i absolutely hate pvp, only because so many games are all half *** about it; please defiance, dont just introduce some weak pvp like SWTOR did too early and underdeveloped, do some small stuff then get buigger as time goes on, like wow did xD wow is also kinda broken now too :P

Arkamenitas
08-12-2012, 02:16 PM
cant wait to see pvp from gamescom coverage