PDA

View Full Version : Alpha/Beta Testing

skullspliter020
09-02-2012, 09:08 PM
I will not take up much of your time but i was wondering when Alpha/Beta testing will start Because i would love to help/Report Bugs.

Steelheart
09-02-2012, 09:11 PM
LOL.....you and almost everyone else on the forums =)

Night Hawke
09-02-2012, 09:19 PM
I hope soon i can't wait to get involved in the process, but i wouldn't hold my breath. :)

Jenbuu
09-03-2012, 03:28 AM
Keep an eye on the boards, there is nothing in the account management yet but im sure in the future there will be testing soon. after all there isnt long until launch

Kaeric
09-03-2012, 04:03 AM
Yeah I obviously want to help out with the beta as well, but eh if it doesn't happen I'll just wait until launch.

Mindfix
09-04-2012, 01:47 PM
I would be expecting the beta to be coming around november or december (well hoping atleast). My question is will there only be a PC beta or will the consoles also be getting a beta run?

Phatality
09-08-2012, 11:54 AM
ill assume PC only only due to the fact that u can get multiple game changes in a day, and to go through PSnetwork and MSlive each time. will take too long to process. also they run from the same servers so it will launch on all three in the same state.

Mindfix
09-08-2012, 12:12 PM
ill assume PC only only due to the fact that u can get multiple game changes in a day, and to go through PSnetwork and MSlive each time. will take too long to process. also they run from the same servers so it will launch on all three in the same state.

While I do agree in thinking pc will get the only beta run and this makes sense. My only problem is when DCUO released for pc and ps3, the ps3 had some issues that were not in or as in or nearly as bad with the pc release the main issue I recall is the constant freezing for ps3 users which wasn't even resolved by the time i quit playing and the horrible lag when trying to open and scroll through your in game menues.

Blightana
09-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Can't wait for possible interaction netween the show and the game. But with that being said the beta test would be most likely just last minute tweaking and server load tests. I'm guessing the base engine is one they used for other things they have done, hence no heavy testing needed. I'm new here, but not to ge testing. Just a guess. I've beta tested many MMO's, alpha tested 3 and Dev-level alpha tested 2.

Not going to bother with heavy correctint this post, cause I'm using my phone. I.hate touch screen keyboards

BlackTalons
09-10-2012, 06:55 AM
While I do agree in thinking pc will get the only beta run and this makes sense. My only problem is when DCUO released for pc and ps3, the ps3 had some issues that were not in or as in or nearly as bad with the pc release the main issue I recall is the constant freezing for ps3 users which wasn't even resolved by the time i quit playing and the horrible lag when trying to open and scroll through your in game menues.

Theres a QA team for things like that. The good thing about PS3 and Xbox is that they don't have so widely different specifications as PC, so solving them in production is much simpler. Bad release performance is product of a rushed development or bad internal quality testing.

IIRC DCUO still has graphical bugs that date since release (the tilted wings while flying for example).

Phatality
09-10-2012, 10:14 PM
based on Trions passed success, ill assume a smooth launch. Trion is highly respected in the mmo world for there highly polished "Rift". as far as beta's go i don't expect much in terms of closed beta invites going out. These guys know what they are doing and the game plays great right now. so your best best is to wait for open beta or even a head start release.

Ceridius
09-17-2012, 04:36 AM
It will be a worthy wait, no doubt. :)

MechPilot
09-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Well At this point we can pretty much guarantee that the beta will be more of a "DEMO" than an actual beta test, No way you would wait get adequate testing in less than 6months before release. So i'll assume the game is pristine if beta does hit.

Muffinman
09-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Well At this point we can pretty much guarantee that the beta will be more of a "DEMO" than an actual beta test, No way you would wait get adequate testing in less than 6months before release. So i'll assume the game is pristine if beta does hit.

Uhh no. We will still most likely have an Alpha and a closed beta. They both are necessary to find lots of bugs that appear in MMOs. You really cant launch something that you are calling an MMO without an extensive Alpha/Beta. The open beta will the the Demo, if there really is one, not the closed beta/alpha. There is just soo much to test in mmos, that might get missed with QA.

Ceridius
09-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Uhh no. We will still most likely have an Alpha and a closed beta. They both are necessary to find lots of bugs that appear in MMOs. You really cant launch something that you are calling an MMO without an extensive Alpha/Beta. The open beta will the the Demo, if there really is one, not the closed beta/alpha. There is just soo much to test in mmos, that might get missed with QA.

I think what was meant was that because it's already 6 months before release (not a whole lot of time), an internal alpha has already taken place and probably a portion of beta at this point. So any beta we receive will not be 'extensive' testing but just fine tuning, load testing, little bugs here and there and yes a demo of sorts.

So not your typical heavy-duty public closed beta. Could be wrong though.

Muffinman
09-18-2012, 01:56 PM
I think what was meant was that because it's already 6 months before release (not a whole lot of time), an internal alpha has already taken place and probably a portion of beta at this point. So any beta we receive will not be 'extensive' testing but just fine tuning, load testing, little bugs here and there and yes a demo of sorts.

So not your typical heavy-duty public closed beta. Could be wrong though.

Well, I don't believe the alpha for Rift started till around 6 months before release. Beta started about 3-4 months before release, so there is still plenty of time to have a good alpha/beta.

Night Hawke
09-18-2012, 06:45 PM
IMO, the Alpha/closed beta phases of the standard mmo games development process is a vital component. If they skip them they will miss out on fundamental core systems bug testing on a wide range of computers. They will not be able to adequately stress test their server architecture, more complex in game mechanics wont be hammered on by the masses and will be left untested for launch day exploits. Not to mention this is a perfect time to jump people to the later portions of the game allowing that content to be tested as well (however most games fail here and launch with a buggy endgame). then their is all the other smaller yet vital bonuses in the process that i wont mention right now.

The open beta phase allows them to build a ton of hype for the game by leveraging the most polished part of the game to influence the purchasing decision of indecisive consumers.

So imo, i believe that to have a successful launch they have to utilize these phases. Most games come short here and end up getting hammered for obvious bugs, exploits and/or buggy non-existent endgame content.

Since this is tied with a TV show they will have to limit the open beta phase to try and control any of the possible overlap between the story arcs they may share. But if they design the first part of the game story as a setup for the tv show then the open beta story giveaway won't be damaging.

yay another big text wall. sorry!

Octavian
09-19-2012, 02:36 PM
But if they design the first part of the game story as a setup for the tv show then the open beta story giveaway won't be damaging

Oooooo, that's a cool idea they should do that!

Phatality
09-19-2012, 09:59 PM
I think night Hawke said it best. good post dude.

LivingLegend
09-21-2012, 06:42 AM
Yep, good Post Night Hawk,

I was Beta tester in an other F2P FPS game, and the Beta time was 1 1/2 year i think,and still bugs. But with a great Community it can make a lot of fun to be a beta Tester.

PsiBer
09-22-2012, 08:04 AM
very insightful Im on the same page with Night here, as a veteran Beta/Alpha tester myself, Ive definitely noticed the same things, I would also like to add there are ALWAYS play balance issues even after launch. without proper large scale testing (such as open beta), for instance a typical Heal, Tank, DPS triangle can get droopy (very droopy in one case I am familiar with) on 1 or 2 sides. even lesser concerns like "this power stinks, dont waste your time building it up, put yer points in this one over here" if its true and not just a matter of opinion, that would be a sign of less than proper Beta testing. Open Beta is also a good place to finalize things like 'recommended system requirements'.

Muffinman
10-02-2012, 01:26 PM
My spidy senses are tingling and telling me that Alpha is about to start very soon. And I can't tell you how I know that ;)

Rozak
10-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Closed Alpha --> Closed Beta --> Open Beta --> Full Release --> Insert variable, 'Sink or Swim' --> PROFIT

BlackTalons
10-04-2012, 08:20 AM
I think the alpha will begin when EoN releases, so Trion can focus more of their marketing and managing resources on defiance.

Disdain
10-08-2012, 07:15 AM
In all the years Iíve played MMOís and signed up for the possibility of playing the BETAís, only 2 games have offered me the opportunity, SWTOR and WoW MoP. The STWOR beta was fantastic, I cant say the same for MoP beta, got stuck at lvl 3 chain quest because it required you to click an item that had a short respawn time, but due to the 200+ other players trying to use the same item after 15 mins of clicking and macroíing I got fed up and Alt F4íd the hell out of there and didnít come back.

I hope and pray were not offered something similar when/if we are afforded the opportunity of BETA play.

To all those BETA hopefuls, May the best man click!

Muffinman
10-09-2012, 02:21 PM
In all the years Iíve played MMOís and signed up for the possibility of playing the BETAís, only 2 games have offered me the opportunity, SWTOR and WoW MoP. The STWOR beta was fantastic, I cant say the same for MoP beta, got stuck at lvl 3 chain quest because it required you to click an item that had a short respawn time, but due to the 200+ other players trying to use the same item after 15 mins of clicking and macroíing I got fed up and Alt F4íd the hell out of there and didnít come back.

I hope and pray were not offered something similar when/if we are afforded the opportunity of BETA play.

To all those BETA hopefuls, May the best man click!

Thats what betas are for, to find bugs. You can't expect a bug-free beta.

Jsfate
10-09-2012, 03:25 PM
when is this game due and is this the 3rd shooter mmo?

Disdain
10-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Thats what betas are for, to find bugs. You can't expect a bug-free beta.

I mentioned that incident because it wasnít a bug, it was a lack of foresight which caused it, inevitable you come across such things, some details get overlooked. Though it was a silly mistake for Blizzard to make, when you have an large initial influx of players you want to facilitate that number to a larger open area without bottlenecking. That is all I meant, You cant find bugs if your all stuck in the starting area :p

llShadow_Kingll
10-14-2012, 09:58 PM
i would almost count on a public beta for this game, i bet they will want to see what kind of traffic they will get on servers before launch on all 3 platforms. if it was to come out look for it probably around Feb or earlier. Because this kind of game and if it's going to be F2P. they are defiantly want to be ready when it launches.

Disdain
10-14-2012, 10:52 PM
when is this game due and is this the 3rd shooter mmo?

Iím not sure if itís the 3rd shooter MMO. There was Tabula Rasa, Global Agenda, some ppl might class M.A.G as a shooter MMO. It worked on the same principle as BF3 but instead of a small number of players in the 20ís or 30ís. M.A.G. (Massive Action Game) managed 256 players on a single map. It was purely online as in it had no offline content, TomAto, Tomato.

Anyways, there hasnít been many Shooter MMOís but I have no doubt in my mind that It will be the best!

Oh, it's due out April 2013, I'll guess at Beta starting at the latest January as they will have alot to do prior to release purley because they will have to Beta 3 Platforms.

Squigglyfrog
10-15-2012, 04:39 PM
I would love to alpha / beta.. I have been looking for a good ranged mmo ever since the beta of stargate worlds was shut down years ago.. that was a fun game.. hoping this one lives up!

Mesa
10-15-2012, 05:50 PM
This tv and game look amazing.

Lady Selene
10-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Just to put this out there. I would also luv to beta test.I have xbox, PS3, PSP and a MacBook.
Dark Blessings ☾✪☽

Disdain
10-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Just to put this out there. I would also luv to beta test.I have xbox, PS3, PSP and a MacBook.
Dark Blessings ☾✪☽

Yeah same here, I'd be happy to Beta on any Platform, Though I lean towards PC in most cases. But if Trion were to decide, "Disdain, we need you to Beta the Xbox platform" my reply would be "Your will, my hands" ;)

ItzBereTTa
10-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Rift Beta 1 & 2 tester here. Throwing the hat in for chance at Defiance.

P.S. Cant wait to watch the SyFy series !!

Alyvian
10-16-2012, 01:09 AM
i would be suprised if alpha hasnt started already, but i unno if i would join it for 2 reasons:

rift: storm legion will take most of my time and most of the other games i play take the rest of my free time.

Disdain
10-16-2012, 03:03 AM
i would be suprised if alpha hasnt started already, but i unno if i would join it for 2 reasons:

rift: storm legion will take most of my time and most of the other games i play take the rest of my free time.

What you need is some more free time :P

Jenbuu
10-16-2012, 03:06 AM
haven't heard anything about it yet, but im sure that it wouldnt be too long, after all there is only 6months will realease

Disdain
10-16-2012, 03:25 AM
Iíll be quite happy for the beta to start testing in December/January, as Iíll be at home for the duration on some well deserved RnR. So when your ready Trion Iíll be available for testing :)

Scubasam
10-16-2012, 11:52 AM
I have been watching every video i can get my hands on for Defiance i'd love to beta test for it though my experience at it is limited to Tera but i will be looking forward to April 2013 no the less cant wait to sink my teeth into a new badass mmo :)

And i am very very excited for the TV show looks amazing

vampero
10-16-2012, 04:46 PM
I hope soon my friends !!!

Xenofiler
10-16-2012, 07:06 PM
For those that say there may be no Beta testing on the PS3, it may not be as much of a problem as it was in the past. Sony is allowing the beta test and regular updates of the Eveonline linked game Dust514 and from what I have seen the Updates are regular and the game is moving forward at a quick clip.

I just hope that this game, even if there is no PS3 Beta, is much better than that game as it has been a sorry disappointment so far.

Arysta
10-16-2012, 07:16 PM
It's so cute that people think posting in this thread will get them into the beta. If there's one thing I've learned from my too many years of playing mmos, it's that getting chosen for beta testing is pretty random and definitely not based on wanting it a whole lot. Of course, they could always stray from the norm, but chances are it'll be random.

Xenofiler
10-16-2012, 07:25 PM
It's so cute that people think posting in this thread will get them into the beta. If there's one thing I've learned from my too many years of playing mmos, it's that getting chosen for beta testing is pretty random and definitely not based on wanting it a whole lot. Of course, they could always stray from the norm, but chances are it'll be random.

While posting in this forum may not get you into the beta, following the forum may very well be your key. Usually someone will get an email or will have found a link that points them in the right direction. I have been in a ton of Betas and yes you are right, the forums do not get you into the beta, but to those that have no idea what to look for or to do next this is a great place for them to hope and to start.

Pneulemen
10-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Please develop this game for PC first, console bound games have crap interface for PC, better yet, make it separate. I want great graphics and animation, pretty please. 8P

Carnak
10-16-2012, 09:53 PM
If it's launching in April the game must already be in testing. So I imagine any future beta testing would be of a similar nature to the Rift beta weekend events, i.e. almost purely promotional free samples.

Which I would totally love to be in on!

Darktide
10-17-2012, 07:02 AM
Like everyone else on this page. COUNT ME IN!!!!!

Kriil
10-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Whatever the dates for beta testing, it'll still be awhile. Especially for an open beta. I don't think I can wait that long!

Cavadus
10-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Whatever the dates for beta testing, it'll still be awhile. Especially for an open beta. I don't think I can wait that long!

It can't be that much longer. The TV show debuts next April; that's only five and half months away. Frankly, it's worrisome that not even a CBT has been announced yet as it would most likely be very difficult to postpone launch of the game due to the TV show.

Jenbuu
10-19-2012, 02:52 AM
i would hope to see something around new year but dont quote me on that one, we will just have to wait and see

RexxDoom
10-19-2012, 03:59 AM
I want in!!! If they do one for 360.

John_Clark
10-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Count me in.

Night Hawke
10-19-2012, 04:05 PM
According to Nathan Richardsson (Executive Producer) Alpha has either started or is ramping up very shortly. And it appears that the beta will in fact be on all three platforms.

"The most important part right now is keeping our content and feature pipeline flowing so we can ramp up alpha and start beta on all three platforms. Then we can get solid feedback and go through our polish phase." Nathan Richardsson.

Source (http://defiance.com/en/2012/10/15/meet-the-dev-team-special-edition-nathan-richardsson-executive-producer/)

Black_wraith
10-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Dang i'd love to get into the alpha for this game for pc.

vampero
10-21-2012, 12:17 PM
I want in!!! If they do one for 360.

I would beta test Xbox 360 too ! Even though I'm it buying for the PC.

Pitty
10-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Active Rift subscribers should get preference imo.

Especially active Rift subscribers that are in SL beta.

Dorkknight
10-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Active Rift subscribers should get preference imo.

Especially active Rift subscribers that are in SL beta.

If this was the case then me and quiet a few others would be in the alpha already. I was in Beta test 1 for rift and have been in every beta test Trion have done since. I stick to the NDA and actually do test and post bug reports on the forums and in game *look I'm shilling myself for an alpha spot* But hey if they want to give preferance i'm in :D

BigBird
10-24-2012, 03:57 PM
just saw the info on both the game and the tv show. I am intrigued as how the game will affect the tv show and vice-versa. Unique concept and I have been looking for a good fps..I always get bored with the current ones, perhaps this will change that as one guy put it"2 windows to 1 world" So yeah I am down for beta and have a list as long as my arm on ones I participated in...not braging, just bonafides lol... good luck to the team!

Condor
10-24-2012, 08:42 PM
Defiance Beta - I volunteer!

jarhu
10-25-2012, 03:13 AM
Totally waiting for testing phases. This might just be THE MMO for me. I've been playing most of the biggest mmo's and some minor mmo-games too, but they haven't given the kicks that in example Anarchy Online gave years back.

Radz
10-25-2012, 05:53 AM
According to Nathan Richardsson (Executive Producer) Alpha has either started or is ramping up very shortly. And it appears that the beta will in fact be on all three platforms.

"The most important part right now is keeping our content and feature pipeline flowing so we can ramp up alpha and start beta on all three platforms. Then we can get solid feedback and go through our polish phase." Nathan Richardsson.

Source (http://defiance.com/en/2012/10/15/meet-the-dev-team-special-edition-nathan-richardsson-executive-producer/)

Glad to hear that all three platforms will be beta testing. I was afraid the consoles would get it without public testing. I wanna beta test on 360! Where do I sign up!? XD

Wendigo
10-28-2012, 04:58 PM
i, too, would like to help this project not suck.

TwilightFalchion
10-28-2012, 05:24 PM
I want to help test too. I missed the EoN testing I am not going to miss another.

Jenbuu
10-29-2012, 04:09 AM
Im sure that there will be something soon in regards to a beta
we know from the 24hour stream that they are in Alpha so i dont think it would be too long till we see something

Darktide
10-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if we were all picked for the Beta. Instead of having to be selected.
After all, we have showed interest just by being here.

Tombstone4U
11-01-2012, 08:01 AM
This is true Darktide but then where would all the fun be unwraping that Email that says "You have been selected" and get that warm and fuzzy feeling like you use to get while climbing the rope in gym class? LOL

Shadinaxx
11-01-2012, 03:38 PM
This is true Darktide but then where would all the fun be unwraping that Email that says "You have been selected" and get that warm and fuzzy feeling like you use to get while climbing the rope in gym class? LOL

All during the EoN beta events, I kept getting emails from Trion Worlds, that started the subject line "You have been selected for Beta!"

And EVERYTIME, I got all excited an thought it was Defiance... Good times, premature excitement ;) Had to explain to a few co-workers the facial expressions since I get my emails on my phone. One comment was along the lines of "you looked like you got a puppy for christmas, then watched it get run over as it crawled outta the box" lol

maverick519
11-01-2012, 08:48 PM
god i hope they start the testing soon

Tombstone4U
11-02-2012, 05:14 AM
Shadinaxx I agree totally man my coworkers think im crazy too when it comes to getting a key. I too had one for EoN and the game is going to be awesome. Honestly I'm not one for 1st/3rd person shooter games but this one I am going to make an exception for due to its intriquing nature and watch my Emailbox daily to see if I can catch a glimpse in Alpha or Beta. Only time will tell but crossing all that can be crossed to find a golden nugget in the mail soon!! Good luck to you all and may the gaming Gods shine in your favor this day!!

MechPilot
11-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Best way to get into betas is to Sign up and NOT CARE!

I usually register for betas in bulk, Since other titles tend to intrest me. Should have seen the speed that came in. I mean planetside 2 I got into the day after registering it was wild. then Shortly after I got into MWO, hawken, grimlands, many others.

Just gotta keep cool. And most importantly enter in with low expectations, remeers these are betas after all.

athleos
11-02-2012, 06:33 PM
I have often been invited to be a beta game tester, but those games were not really that interesting to me personally. But Defiance is hot. YES I would like to get some very long hours beta testing this very cool game. I have met a few of the actors and producers on location, and I can say the TV series is going to be a real Sci-Fi wet dream. So gaming and then watching the show will be a thrilling addiction in our new digital age. I am so freaking starved for a new Sci-Fi entertainment fix.

farscape1
11-04-2012, 05:26 PM
First time here, and just today learned of this tv show and game. Would love to be a Beta Tester as i seem to always find bugs in all the games.

Erisandra
11-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Yea I'm looking forward to this game a ton, i hope they do test soon.

Vega
11-04-2012, 09:02 PM
          

Acidon
11-08-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm assuming we still have no idea on testing? =/

Zero
11-10-2012, 05:36 AM
Assuming that the game will be released in April I would say that Alpha/Beta testing would probably commence in Jan/Feb, November/December seems way to early to be honest. Overall, I think this game has massive potential, not sure if PS3 and Xbox360 players are connected with the PC (if so, +100 to this game) to other upcoming MMO FPS games.

Just saw the Defiance - Developer Diary, I am convinced this will be an epic game.

Shadinaxx
11-10-2012, 10:21 AM
I would expect to see beta invites going out to a few (couple thousand players at first) around late nov to mid dec. Then adding more each week as they ramp up publicity to the game, and open beta starting feb-march.

MechPilot
11-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Assuming that the game will be released in April I would say that Alpha/Beta testing would probably commence in Jan/Feb, November/December seems way to early to be honest.

From the years of beta testing Ive done, I can tell you first hand "too early" doesn't fly. Ive seen games spend millions on advertising then wait the last 3-4 months to start testing. Happens with different games from time to time, but the result is always the same. failure upon release. a small team of devs will never put a game through its paces like a group of players.

There was a reason games like planetside/firefall/MWO been testing for what seems like ages. Issues pop up like you wouldn't believe, then there's a lul in error reports. Then after an update new issues arrive. Testing has its own shelf life really. Game has to go through so many phases before it gets to the point to where players arent infuriated things don't work.

So for Trion to Take this risk and wait till the last 3-4 months to get it done. Well at least they will have time to focus on the show, most i can say.

Lady Gamer
11-10-2012, 09:15 PM
I have been waiting patiently for years for a game development company to finally pull this off. Now that I have cut my teeth testing on at least 15 other games in the past years including Trion's own "RIFT" and seeing that through it's Betas....Finally, its time for Defiance to shine. "I think the mouth drool is just a side effect, Scotty." LOL!

Deimos Eros
11-12-2012, 01:04 PM
When I called Trion they said all platforms will get the Beta

Allons
11-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Being a Beta tester for this game would be awesome!!

Runoff
11-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Just heard about this Game/Show idea is awesome, enjoyed betatesting Rift hope to get a chance with Defiance.

MajorChaos
11-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Alpha and Beta tester. I would love to participate in any alpha or beta testing for this game. I have been in Eon alpha and now need another game to enjoy and test. Please invite me to test for you.

Crynidemth
11-23-2012, 07:53 AM
Would love to join as a tester for any phase, to help develop the game's depth and range. Will be able to give at least a few hours a week to downloading and reviewing builds and reporting any issues found.

PS: seems that one man's wish to be a tester spawned a thread for testing applications :)
Edit: on a sidenote, is anyone else here testing in Firefall too?

TheBizz
11-23-2012, 04:28 PM
I would love to be a beta tester also. The game is already on my TO BUY list and i'm just waiting for the preorder to be available.

Carnak
11-24-2012, 01:29 PM
From the years of beta testing Ive done, I can tell you first hand "too early" doesn't fly. Ive seen games spend millions on advertising then wait the last 3-4 months to start testing. Happens with different games from time to time, but the result is always the same. failure upon release. a small team of devs will never put a game through its paces like a group of players.

There was a reason games like planetside/firefall/MWO been testing for what seems like ages. Issues pop up like you wouldn't believe, then there's a lul in error reports. Then after an update new issues arrive. Testing has its own shelf life really. Game has to go through so many phases before it gets to the point to where players arent infuriated things don't work.

So for Trion to Take this risk and wait till the last 3-4 months to get it done. Well at least they will have time to focus on the show, most i can say.

1) We don't know that the game isn't being tested. We only know that there hasn't been a public call for testers.

2) Rift is widely regarded as one of the most well polished MMOs at launch. This is not some amateur developer.

3) The TV show isn't being produced by Trion.

___

I'm expecting Defiance's beta testing to be similar to Rift's open beta just pre-launch - primarily a PR exercise / free trial and stress test.

vampero
11-25-2012, 11:13 AM
1) We don't know that the game isn't being tested. We only know that there hasn't been a public call for testers.

2) Rift is widely regarded as one of the most well polished MMOs at launch. This is not some amateur developer.

3) The TV show isn't being produced by Trion.

___

I'm expecting Defiance's beta testing to be similar to Rift's open beta just pre-launch - primarily a PR exercise / free trial and stress test.

I like your replay Carnk...maybe soon we will get to know about beta !

Fikticio
11-25-2012, 02:14 PM
I like the idea where the current rift subscribers would be invited to the beta or a gift with the annual pass. lol. But I know it probably will not.

I do not really care if i am or not in the defiance beta, of course i would love to be, i just want them to be careful in the process and do not rush and commit the same mistakes that ArenaNet made ​​with Tabula Rasa. Too much money on advertising and then the game did not delivered at 100%. Do not get me wrong, i liked the game and would still be playing if he had not been shut down.

I have high hopes for this game from what I've seen, (I played the beta of Firefall and the game does not appeal to me), Defiance as more what i am looking for an mmo'shooter. Good story - good open world - group co op - world events - fun PvP - ... ; to summarize tons of things to do in group. We can see that the team of defiance has the rift school and looks to what players want in there game and they will give us that.

This is TRION!!!

Keep the good work, and we will mabe see you in beta.

Suun Brakur
12-02-2012, 09:41 AM
I would think they need to test the server for the amount of players they expect to anticipate in the game. Beta for PC would be great. Beta for PS3 Dust 514 experiencing lag and stuff, still fun to play.

NitroMidgets
12-02-2012, 12:39 PM
I'd done some friends and family, alpha and beta tests. It would be nice to know if they are at least out of alpha testing and doing selective beta testing. It gives us an idea just how far along the game might be.

sersafir
12-04-2012, 11:33 PM
I've beta-tested a few games before, and I'd love to be a part of beta-testing for this.

Plasma
12-06-2012, 12:00 AM
i have beta tested R.O.S.E Aion, GW2, EoN and both rift beta. i love learning new content and games i cant wait for alpha/beta their is a bit of twitter action so hope something starts soon

nommyface
12-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Well I just got an invite to alpha testing in my email box. Already played a fair bit during the press event the last two days, the game is great fun guys. I seriously can't wait until you guys get to have a go.

Jenbuu
12-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Well I just got an invite to alpha testing in my email box. Already played a fair bit during the press event the last two days, the game is great fun guys. I seriously can't wait until you guys get to have a go.

if you have and there is a NDA your probably already breaking it by saying something like that

nommyface
12-06-2012, 05:37 PM
if you have and there is a NDA your probably already breaking it by saying something like that

Didn't sign any NDA before the playtest, didn't sign an NDA before I got the invite email, so there ya go. ;-)

Plasma
12-06-2012, 09:28 PM
that's is strange their should be a nda because its still development and a lot could change they wouldnt want misinformation getting leaked, i wouldn't be saying to much just to be safe

Rokeugon
12-07-2012, 04:18 PM
its kinda obvious most of us got a email threw i did but thats all im saying

Rokeugon
12-07-2012, 04:20 PM
that's is strange their should be a nda because its still development and a lot could change they wouldnt want misinformation getting leaked, i wouldn't be saying to much just to be safe

there is i think once you get the email about witch platform you want to play on your pretty much locked there thats all you can say about that but

Matt Treck
12-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Are you sure that what you got was an invite? It would probably have some sort of NDA if it was an invite.

NitroMidgets
12-07-2012, 06:04 PM
There would have to be an NDA unless it was already in beta and about to drop the NDA. Not that we would know at this point.

Probably have to actually agree to the NDA before your beta key is activated.

vampero
12-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Make sure you pick the platform you really want to beta test because you can only beta test one platform.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/228/defiancealphachooseyour.jpg

Lemon King
12-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Look at all you lucky testers, good luck and try to break stuff - And I mean really break stuff.

Darktide
12-08-2012, 02:32 AM
I went for Xbox360. Hope there are many more xboxers wanting to play

AmazingPatt
12-08-2012, 03:20 AM

Same here for xbox =)

Sealiah
12-10-2012, 09:12 AM
I can't wait! Signed up for PC!

Ozmo
12-10-2012, 12:11 PM
not had an email myself,

please can i have a beta invite :)

Disdain
12-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Signed up for the PC Beta, WOOT! Can hardly wait for the invites :D

Colts87
12-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Signed up for the PC Beta, WOOT! Can hardly wait for the invites :D
Signed up on Friday for the PS3 side and i'm very excited as well.

Carnak
12-10-2012, 04:23 PM

I agree there would be an NDA for any beta testers but I doubt the game would see many substantial changes between now and launch.

If Rift is anything to judge by, the game will basically be finished and ready to play before they let most of the beta players in. It'll primarily be a PR exercise with some stress testing and tweaking in response to feedback.

stormaaron
12-10-2012, 07:31 PM

Theres gonna be more of us... i hope

stormaaron
12-10-2012, 07:33 PM
not had an email myself,

please can i have a beta invite :)

https://defiance.trionworlds.com/ go to this link then choose you console good luck in the drawings :cool:

Golgo28
12-11-2012, 11:21 AM

they will be beta testing on pc,ps3 and xbox360.thry already have an option in account management to select which platform you would like to be considered for the beta.then it's just time to wait and see if you get in.

princehadow
12-11-2012, 03:33 PM
just signed up for PC :p

stormaaron
12-11-2012, 08:37 PM

All consoles (excluding Wii) will get the beta since each one will be running diferant on diferant servers they will all need adiquit testing at the same time to see if they can hold up to it

Marnaru
12-12-2012, 01:05 PM
I signed up for the ps3 beta yesterday, hopefully i'll get the chance to beta test. There doesnt seem to be too many ps3 beta testers, maybe that will give me a better chance to get in :) Hopefully there will be lots of ps3 beta testers though!

Enver
12-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Im in got my invite. PC

Brotoi
12-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Im in got my invite. PC

You already received your invite? Really? Interesting...but wouldn't the NDA prevent you from announcing it on the forum?

Marnaru
12-13-2012, 02:04 PM
You already received your invite? Really? Interesting...but wouldn't the NDA prevent you from announcing it on the forum?

I was thinking the same thing, I wonder if there starting the pc beta first to work out bugs because its easier do that on a pc and then they'll start the xbox and ps3 beta later on? I'm not sure?

austin20ful
12-13-2012, 04:26 PM
yeah i want to know if the xbox beta test is going to be at the same time as PC.

Muffinman
12-13-2012, 04:56 PM

Im sure he just got the email that most of us already recieved, it looked like an alpha invite at first glance.

Enver
12-14-2012, 07:01 AM

From what I understand no, Im not talking about any aspect of the game. Being a tester isnt a top secret thing, but talking about things in the game is.

Jenbuu
12-14-2012, 07:11 AM
From what I understand no, Im not talking about any aspect of the game. Being a tester isnt a top secret thing, but talking about things in the game is.

Its not a top secret thing, but it is common curtisy and common practice to not announce that your in the alpha, tho most alpha NDA state that you would be breaking the nda by saying your in it

Enver
12-14-2012, 07:38 AM
Its not a top secret thing, but it is common curtisy and common practice to not announce that your in the alpha, tho most alpha NDA state that you would be breaking the nda by saying your in it

Yes, your right my bad, when I frist started reading this Thread I must have miss read a few of them toward the tail end. I had though a few posted about getting invites, so I follow suit.

I was wrong.

demonslayer84
12-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Hows the bata

stormaaron
12-15-2012, 11:01 PM
Hows the bata

as far as i know the beta hasnt started we are waiting to be picked for codes if you wanna join go here https://defiance.trionworlds.com/

Daxon Khaed
12-19-2012, 08:13 PM
I was in the Tabula Rasa beta and played through out the games lifetime. It was bad near the start with many features not even close to being ready. I Hope Trion does not follow suit, and giving their past record with rift I highly doubt they will. I would love to see a very large scale closed beta test, and like all others posting here I would love to give a hand with it. As I have stated in the title to this post I truly hope Defiance is the successor to TR. That game died before its time. I do NOT want that to happen to Defiance.

JellyBean
12-20-2012, 02:55 PM
For right now any Beta testers given a key will be responcible for bug hunting most likely. Screen shots and forum posts reporting bugs, glitches etc. quests no finishing or monsters glitching into rocks that kind of thing. The large scale Beta will include a stress test of their system and try and create as realistic a play experience as possible. Usually Pc games have an "open beta" period where anyone can just get the game and participate. that is the true test when you have literally thiousands of players with different systems and see how the system handles it. Lag can be a huge problem in the PC and I'm wondering how that is going to crossover into the 360.

Helsynge
01-05-2013, 05:16 AM
I certainly hope they give out more codes during podcasts and such like they did for EoN, I'd hate not to get picked for the beta without a second chance to show my devotion :(

Asaomar
01-05-2013, 03:00 PM
As I have stated in the title to this post I truly hope Defiance is the successor to TR. That game died before its time. I do NOT want that to happen to Defiance.

I was part of the tabula rasa beta/live game as well. the reason that game died is the developers were making massive changes to skills/passives/etc almost every week and it killed both the pvp and pve portions of the games. snipers popping people from so far away they couldn't fight back? next patch sniper rifles nerfed into uselessness. spies using traitor in pvp with netguns to ensure an enemy could neither fight back nor run away? traitor nerfed and made garbage.

based on Trion's history with Rift, I doubt we'll be seeing anything similar to that.

QuietRiotUSMC
03-11-2013, 08:48 PM
I was in the Tabula Rasa beta and played through out the games lifetime. It was bad near the start with many features not even close to being ready. I Hope Trion does not follow suit, and giving their past record with rift I highly doubt they will. I would love to see a very large scale closed beta test, and like all others posting here I would love to give a hand with it. As I have stated in the title to this post I truly hope Defiance is the successor to TR. That game died before its time. I do NOT want that to happen to Defiance.

I was also in the First alpha and beta for Tabula Rasa and stayed up until the Server Disconnected and went dark. Loved that Game.