PDA

View Full Version : So Arkfalls are sorta necessary

Von
09-05-2012, 08:01 PM
When we first heard about Arkfalls. We asumed that Arkfall would be this event
that would either effect the environment or it would be something we could just
skip all together.

Now we have heard that Arkfalls, if you beat them, will be your only way to get
certain gear. It will give you resources that you use to buy them. It's the second
type of currency that we all have wondered about.

Now you can still skip the Arkfalls, but I bet you'll be in the vendor screen and
you'll notice something cool that can only be bought with Arkfall currency. You'll
then find yourself going thought multiple Arkfalls just to get it.

Night Hawke
09-05-2012, 09:18 PM
you make it sound like encouraging people to participate in arkfalls is a bad thing. I'm not sure if that is your intent but it sure reads that way.

Personally if the arkfalls are like the events in guild wars 2 then i have zero problem with this. If done properly and with good dynamic scaling technology there is no reason that arkfalls cant be done solo, in a group or in just a mass of people randomly showing up. It works very well in GW2.

However I'm not sold that it will add the depth and replay-ability of a solid crafting system.

Jenbuu
09-06-2012, 01:15 AM
You have to think that ark falls are a main part of the story behind defiance.
In the show you wouldnt be able to skip it or your life would become increasingly difficult.

So having a resource that drops from them isnt going to be a bad thing and i agree if they can pull the event of great then you will see lots of people doing them

Kalbuir
09-06-2012, 08:43 AM
I don't really get who someone would want to skip Arkfalls? Also don't forget that all loot is trade-able (taking into account that the vendor bought ones might be hte exception to this) I don't think there is much worry about obtaining gear. Furthermore your not competing with other players for loot as the loot you see in-game is yours and they see their own.

At low levels you will occacionally do arkfalls as they ramp up to bigger events at end game I expect a lot of the game activity to be unfocussed around arkfall events. But not only to "farm" for the vendors but also to play with other people and group with a high amount of players!

And lets also not forget that PVP probably has a seperate set of rewards, so there should be enough ways to obtain loot even for those who for some reason

Von
09-06-2012, 06:16 PM
I see now how important Arkfalls are to the game. They were mentioned
on this website under events. They were even shown in the PVP area. If
you look up you bits of Ark burning up in the atmosphere.

I guess my main concern about Arkfalls would be how many it would take
to get the resources to get the gear. Imagine going though an Arkfall and
only getting 500 resource points when you need 10,000 for this one thing.
I guess it's probably would be connected to you level. The higher you are
the more it cost, but of course you'll already have access to stuff that will
help you get there quicker.

ultimt1
09-09-2012, 03:38 PM
so its just like Rift. in the beginning anyways. planarite, inscribed sourcestones anyone?:)

JellyBean
11-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Remember one of the main points of the Arkfalls is really bringing everybody together to work in tandem. Certain players will be handling the mobs while others will focus on the main boss. With all the attention this game is getting there will be A TON of players at these events all working together so it really seems like its going to be a great community feat.

Shadinaxx
11-13-2012, 03:38 PM
I remember, when Trion first introduced raid rifts, the ones you spawn. Our guild was one of the first to attempt, and complete. The sheer amount of "omg" to it was just outstanding. The skies darkened, the creauters from beyond the rift taunted you in thunderous voices, etc. Makes me excited in ways I shouldnt be, thinking about it in Defiance.

Darktide
11-16-2012, 02:51 AM
I can see it now. Word spreads that there is going to be an Arkfall and everyone races to the site of impact in a mad panic to try and salvage any tech, minerals and materials they can get. Killing those who get in their way.
I wonder when you have collected stuff do you have to bring them back to a safe base etc. Would make it very exciting trying to get away with your loot before other players, bandits etc kill you and rob you.
Sounds great.

Kalbuir
11-16-2012, 04:19 AM
I can see it now. Word spreads that there is going to be an Arkfall and everyone races to the site of impact in a mad panic to try and salvage any tech, minerals and materials they can get. Killing those who get in their way.
I wonder when you have collected stuff do you have to bring them back to a safe base etc. Would make it very exciting trying to get away with your loot before other players, bandits etc kill you and rob you.
Sounds great.

it has been said a few times that looting will be similiar to Borderland 2 where you DO NOT compete with loot with other players so stealing each others loot does not seem likely at this point.

Shadinaxx
11-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Aye, like in rift, there's no real compition for loot in dynamic events, and, most people will not be pvp flagged (aka shadow wars) during arkfalls. I imagine those that DO will be referred to and shunned away from similer to "raid aids" lol

Altho I do agree, it would put an interesting spin on things to wait for a group to complete an arkfall then ambush em for their goodies.

stormaaron
12-09-2012, 09:53 PM
From what I heard (mainly from the videos and interviews) the arkfalls are a semi necessary thing the game wont force you too but if you want to be able to fight in PvP you will need too

Carnak
12-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Personally I like the look of Arkfalls and think I'll enjoy them. But I think the OP has a valid concern.

In real life we have this handy thing called money which is abstract approximation of time, effort, resources required to create certain items and perform certain services. While most nations have their own currency they can be traded / converted.

This money is what lets us all do different jobs etc. but still buy the same stuff.

Most early MMOs I played, like the primordial muds they arose from, had single currencies. Then they started to implement multiple currencies as a form of grind proliferation to keep players subscribed longer.

I don't think they make sense and I don't like them.

Should arkfalls (and other activites) reward players with items / resources specific to them? Definitely. But they shouldn't be an untradable currency.

Cos guess what? If you implement a particular avenue of grind that some players don't enjoy then you increase the likelihood of them deciding to play another game.

Say the OP really enjoys harvesting and crafting but arkfalls bore them to tears. What's wrong with letting them harvest and craft and sell that stuff, then using the money to buy whatever you get from Arkfalls?

stormaaron
12-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Personally I like the look of Arkfalls and think I'll enjoy them. But I think the OP has a valid concern.

In real life we have this handy thing called money which is abstract approximation of time, effort, resources required to create certain items and perform certain services. While most nations have their own currency they can be traded / converted.

This money is what lets us all do different jobs etc. but still buy the same stuff.

Most early MMOs I played, like the primordial muds they arose from, had single currencies. Then they started to implement multiple currencies as a form of grind proliferation to keep players subscribed longer.

I don't think they make sense and I don't like them.

Should arkfalls (and other activites) reward players with items / resources specific to them? Definitely. But they shouldn't be an untradable currency.

Cos guess what? If you implement a particular avenue of grind that some players don't enjoy then you increase the likelihood of them deciding to play another game.

Say the OP really enjoys harvesting and crafting but arkfalls bore them to tears. What's wrong with letting them harvest and craft and sell that stuff, then using the money to buy whatever you get from Arkfalls?

I agree they shouldn't be a untradable resource you should allow players to trade what ever they want for instance if my friend only gain 10 ark points from a fall but i earned 25 ark points and he wants to buy like the BMG i should be able to give him some of mine or vis versa

Nomad
12-10-2012, 10:50 PM
I remember, when Trion first introduced raid rifts, the ones you spawn. Our guild was one of the first to attempt, and complete. The sheer amount of "omg" to it was just outstanding. The skies darkened, the creauters from beyond the rift taunted you in thunderous voices, etc. Makes me excited in ways I shouldnt be, thinking about it in Defiance.

If I recall, there was a game that touted powerful spells affecting a large area that could be seen from quite a distance. Horizons maybe? I got the same feeling the first time I saw it. Rift just made it uber.