PDA

View Full Version : Are there any plans to change this?

Vvirgil
04-07-2013, 03:10 AM
Hello, being a more relatively new Defiance player compared to most of the people here on the forums, I have a simple question...

Does PvP ever change with your rating? I mean, I've been told Shadow War is different and haven't had the opportunity to attempt it yet, however, me and my friends have found ourselves disappointed in the way that we queue up and get excited for a burst of PvP to run into 14/16 players or 10/12 players only using a cloak and a shotgun/infector.

I mean, my first PvP mission was great, i loved it, there was a large variety of weapons, however i just got done doing about 15 PvP missions in a row (not Shadow War), however in every single one the far majority is just using shotgun and cloak.

Last one for example, 8v8 on Observatory. 10-14 players were using shotgun and cloak.

Or before that, on Waterfront, about 10 players were also using shotgun and cloak.

Are there any plans to change that? There is hardly any versatility, i'm aware you are capable of doing well with other weapons (Myself being an old competitive UT player and nowadays a competitive CS player, my tracking and aim is far above average, so with an SMG/AR I do pretty well in this game.) however, there is hardly a point to use either an AR or a SMG or any weapon really when you can just have a sniper rifle and a shotgun and run around cloaked 1-2 hitting anyone that threatens you.

The only other weapon i've really seen the majority of the playerbase use is that one weapon that shoots out parasites that do DOT, and thats used almost as much as shotgun and cloak.

I'm still unfamiliar with the games combat style as it seems its meant to be a slower paced but yet faster paced shooter, so excuse my assumptions if they are wrong.

But back to the questions at hand...

Are there any plans to balance it out so versatility is common? (There honestly shouldn't be like 10 people in every match just using nothing but a shotgun and cloak exclusively.)
Or am i just doing something wrong? I've gotten into the habit of randomly shooting in corridors to see if anyone is cloaked and that has netted me a few kills, but even so if i land every single bullet i still find myself being outclassed by shotguns and infectors.

Feedback, responses, and tips/tricks would be welcome!

mimneotic
04-07-2013, 03:16 AM
The two current maps are extremely biased towards CQC weapon usage. And because of how easy it is to miss a target that is completely unaware of you (when you use Cloak) when your crosshair covers half your screen (shotgun), everyone goes for it, of course.

Wait until they add Freight Yard back in. That map had quite some variety because of it's layout, as opposed to Observatory and Waterfront.

If you can't wait, go play Shadow Wars when they are active. They offer the same type of variety, yet the maps are a lot more open. And seeing how the majority of the playerbase are still figuring out the very basics of the game, people are likely to just sit in the open and attempt to snipe eachother (or again, cloak and run around with a shotgun) as opposed to fighting for points ON the actual points.

But Shadow Wars can still be interesting. You should check them out.

Aeekto
04-07-2013, 03:23 AM
If you realy complain about CQC-Weapons on a CQC-Map like "Waterfront" and "Observatory", then youŽll probably complain about sniper/rocketlauncher/AR all combined with Overcharge on "Freight Yard" too.
TDM ist just about which team kills the fastest the other team, so everyone picks a weapon that kills fast.
C&H like "Freight Yard" or "Shadow War" is absolutly different because it doesnŽt matter how many kills you make, your team can still lose if there is no tactic involved and no one tries to hold some points........ here is survivability and support more important than fast killing. Because of that you will see a lot more AR and sniper at this gametype while shotguns get most of the time useless.

Vvirgil
04-07-2013, 01:05 PM
If you realy complain about CQC-Weapons on a CQC-Map like "Waterfront" and "Observatory", then youŽll probably complain about sniper/rocketlauncher/AR all combined with Overcharge on "Freight Yard" too.
TDM ist just about which team kills the fastest the other team, so everyone picks a weapon that kills fast.
C&H like "Freight Yard" or "Shadow War" is absolutly different because it doesnŽt matter how many kills you make, your team can still lose if there is no tactic involved and no one tries to hold some points........ here is survivability and support more important than fast killing. Because of that you will see a lot more AR and sniper at this gametype while shotguns get most of the time useless.

I'm complaining about CQC Weapons?

First off, what do you mean by weapons? Shotgun is the most powerful in CQC and i am complaining about it being the only thing used in CQC PvP. It is extremely overpowered with cloak, which is very very hard to see on such small maps to newer players.

My recommendation with that would be either add more maps, which i didn't know there was a freight yard. With that maybe add more so its 2 CQC, 1 Medium, 2 Long. Or, nerf the cloaking system.

I tried out shotgun cloak today.

First match, 10-6-0, second match, 14-4-1. It's not challenging one bit because i played just like all of the other players that i saw do it in the past, use cloak to get a kill and then sit in a corner and kill anyone who comes by while you wait for it to recharge. It was also very easy for my team to win, considering everyone on it including myself was using shotgun/infector/cloak with the exception of two people. Thats not "weapons" thats "use this if you want to win, otherwise you wont unless you are in a premade group or get lucky."

If thats CQC weapons, seems to be like there needs to be more added, or the generic CQC weapons needed to be buffed up to match the shotgun. (things like SMGs...)

However, thanks for pointing out i won't like Freight Yard because it has the exact thing i like, Versatility. People would be using AR's/Sniper Rifles/Rocket Launchers with more or less Shotguns/SMGs/Infectors on the side. Thats nearly every weapon type in the game, so I wouldn't like it because it has exactly what im asking for? lol, please don't bother replying to criticism threads if you can't even make a valid argument.

However, Hubris, thanks very much. I actually tried out Shadow War before i headed off to bed and i actually enjoyed it a lot, except for the few matches where my pub team decided to drive our mounted vehicle into a rock for the entire duration we had it, lol. Everything seemed very balanced there, as compared to the normal matchmaking system that lacks versatility.