PDA

View Full Version : Under the hood mechanics...

EvilKam
06-21-2016, 04:27 PM
Okay, so I have a CRAPPY Defiance guide for new players. I'm rewriting it as we speak. I'd like to have a section with some "behind the data" information which might help a new player micromanage their game for maximum ego gain efficiency, thus ensuring minimal time waste.

This leads me to ask some questions, which some of you might know, or maybe it's unknown...
How does xp work in this game? Say I'm firing at an enemy, he dies, I get xp. Simple. However...

What if 10 of us are firing, do we all get the same XP? Is it proportioned by percentage of damage? (like I got 10% of the xp reward because I took 10% of his life)

Do we have to score a hit on that enemy to qualify for the xp reward, or just be nearby?

I'm 99.9% positive that Event score points equals xp on a 1-for-1 basis, I'm not missing anything there, right?

How does weapon skill work? Specifically, do we get weapon skill increases per damage done, per kill, or per bullet hit? Does event score factor in on skill rating gains?

To gain a level in a vehicle skill, what's the rating of meters_travelled to skill_gained and is it constant across all skill levels? What permutations modify vehicle skill gains and by what amount? (I.E. pulling a 720 airborne spin is the same as say, 1.3km driven)

What constitutes a kill? If I wait for another player to do 95% of the damage to an enemy, and I slam one bullet into his head, do I get sole credit for the kill, or partial credit for the kill?

Claydough
06-21-2016, 08:14 PM
The best way to gain xp is to ignore it and do the pursuits your xp will go up naturally, and if you dont cap your xp before then, it'll be within hundred or so ego

Soul Binder
06-21-2016, 08:31 PM
Best way to gain EGO is to just play the game and have fun doing so.
Trying to micromanage every possible thing in game to get "maximum return will quickly bore and frustrate most players.
Same goes for trying to complete all the pursuits, some of them are extremely tedious and time consuming and now with the ability to continue gaining XP and increasing your EGO they are mostly irrelevant as doing activities like major arkfalls, incursions/sieges and expert Co-ops will level you up as fast if not faster than the pursuits. Additionally you might be surprised at just how many pursuits you can get completed just by playing and having fun in game without focusing on getting "such and such" pursuit completed.

EvilKam
06-22-2016, 03:55 AM
Oh, I just crossed Ego 4500 last night. I have around 8 perks left to unlock. By the end of the month, pursuits will be the only thing left.

I just want to know if I wasted time, or what if I didn't have Castithan Charge pack, and couldn't use the arenas to farm kills?

Your advice is the method I used up until now, and while it worked, in the back of my mind, I've wondered if I was doing it as efficiently as possible.

Yiazzy
06-22-2016, 03:58 AM
Kam, I'm a fairly new player but these are my deductions for xp gains from kills and events.

For kills, it seems you get full xp for dealing at least a quarter of the total health of the enemy, any less and it appears you get half that amount. Shooting that enemy only a couple of times and dealing very small damage nets you 0 xp.

For events, say Major Arkfalls, killing bosses like the Hellion, Matron, Progenitor etc, it seems like a fixed xp gain for everyone involved. As for the event participation xp, you get xp equal to your score in that event. That goes for Sieges, Incursions and Conflicts.

There's a good chance you already know this, but thought I'd share my thoughts.