PDA

View Full Version : future of defiance???

mapexman
06-27-2016, 02:18 AM
I've been playing a few months on xbox NA and at first it was slow watching people quit, now half my friends list quit watching in chat people give there stuff away to leave the game. I understand alot is going on server crashes,multiple crits,hardfeezes,and other stuff I won't mention... so I know lots that still play and 80% won't spend because this or that, so what's the future for this game? Upgrading or dying?

Quicksilver1492
06-27-2016, 02:23 AM
Staying relatively the same. And as long as people spend money on it and until Sony and Microsoft abandon it, it's not going anywhere. The PC version will probably outlive the console versions, regardless.

Bentu
06-27-2016, 03:46 AM
Staying relatively the same. And as long as people spend money on it and until Sony and Microsoft abandon it, it's not going anywhere. The PC version will probably outlive the console versions, regardless.

The later is true however Defiance is still the only mmo on legacy consoles and in my opinion if ported to ps4 and xbone would be a huge hit as there still is nothing else like Defiance out there.
I'm not IT savy so I have no clue on what should or needs to be done if it was to go next gen but clearly before that happens the servers for all systems need to be upgraded so they can be more stable.
Also a significant amount of money and time needs to be put into the code and getting it running right and not just as expected.
Despite the huge amount of people leaving the game it is still a huge success and I don't think Trion were really ready for it to be the success it is.
Trion you have a gold mine here but the wheels of the carts need greasing before they seize up.

mapexman
06-27-2016, 11:39 AM
I agree a few that quit said they would pay to play on xbox one.

mystickaldj
06-27-2016, 11:58 AM
I agree but all they should have to do is spruce up the code for the higher def that Xbo and ps4 carry. But it will be staying in this gen console and as long as servers are online I'm sure they will have players. But something needs to give with at least the lag and crits and hard freezing. Cause hard freezing can initially crash a hard drive. So I don't wanna risk my hard drive crashing and losing progress on all my other games that require save data to my hard drive

OneBadClown
06-27-2016, 02:41 PM
I was reading older posts from '13 up seems to me about same
as far as crashes and such

TE5LA
06-28-2016, 06:26 AM
I agree but all they should have to do is spruce up the code for the higher def that Xbo and ps4 carry.

They aren't any higher than a PC, so that shouldn't be a major thing.

SynchroMystik
06-28-2016, 05:55 PM
the later is true however defiance is still the only mmo on legacy consoles and in my opinion if ported to ps4 and xbone would be a huge hit as there still is nothing else like defiance out there.

don't think trion were really ready for it to be the success it is.
Trion you have a gold mine here but the wheels of the carts need greasing before they seize up.

+1 webernets

Antony Harrist
06-28-2016, 06:40 PM
I think things are looking bad, if they can't fix these constant crits/dc's

EvilKam
06-29-2016, 05:03 PM
The later is true however Defiance is still the only mmo on legacy consoles and in my opinion if ported to ps4 and xbone would be a huge hit as there still is nothing else like Defiance out there.

Comment is worth my upvote. Destiny is already an abandoned wasteland surrounding the catastrophic derailment of the hype-train. The Division already has an endgame that nobody wants, and Player Killers make it annoying...

Shooter RPGs are in short supply, MMO shooters even more rare. An open world shooter RPG has appeal, anyone looking for PvP exclusive action is probably already addicted to Planetside, Defiance seems to be the lone stand-out in the niche.

I see so much potential here now that the show is over.

Antinous
07-01-2016, 09:14 AM
Considering the state of the game of late it's future seems pretty bleak sorry to say.
Fix the stability issues, stop putting everything behind a pay wall, and do some original developing and there may be hope.

barbelhunter
07-02-2016, 02:12 AM
Considering the state of the game of late it's future seems pretty bleak sorry to say.
Fix the stability issues, stop putting everything behind a pay wall, and do some original developing and there may be hope.

This is spot on the issues Trion themselves cause are pushing ppl away, plus everything seems to be about pvp now and not the mmorpg side of the game which is odd as previous posts have stated that's what makes this game unique.

MataC
07-02-2016, 06:28 AM
I'm not IT savy so I have no clue on what should or needs to be done if it was to go next gen but clearly before that happens the servers for all systems need to be upgraded so they can be more stable.
Also a significant amount of money and time needs to be put into the code and getting it running right and not just as expected.
Despite the huge amount of people leaving the game it is still a huge success and I don't think Trion were really ready for it to be the success it is.

Well said. Defiance is a high quality, addictive game and is very unique in the MMO universe, especially now when Firefall committed suicide (very unfortunate, played it a lot), don't know about Destiny or Global Agenda.

But I must say: Defiance has a bad F2P model, in fact, it's a textbook example of bad F2P. Here a great video from Extra Credits on the topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
Basically, true and the best F2P model never denies content and never allows paying players to buy super weapons which Defiance exactly does (which, btw, makes PVP also a bit unbalanced). Further more, all good F2P games allow paying players to somehow expand their inventory and this is specially important for Defiance because larger inv in this game isn't convenience, it's necessity since the game is based on having tons of items, I'm having a hard time maintains 80 inv, 35 is nothing. Not giving free players at least one free exchange space is also bad for the game.
If devs finally made DLC-s free to anyone, imagine how many new and old players would they attract. DLC-s are a very short term profit for the game anyway, it would be a great long term investment. Devs should focus on selling cosmetic items, cars, novelty items etc.
This isn't a theory, it's already a well established recipe. Look at games such as Marvel Heroes or Neverwinter, they deny players nothing except cosmetic and novelty items (and many times not even that) and they make huge profit, MH doesn't even have a VIP program!
Wrapping up: game that forces players to spend money and caters only to paying players is very bad F2P model; you can't force people that can't pay to pay, and people that can pay always will.

Thx for reading. :)

DEPHIC
07-02-2016, 07:32 AM
This topic pops up about once a month or twice if there's an event going on. I could explain how good it could be and much potential the game has if they would put in some effort to make it successful. But its Trion so heres your answer:

http://i.imgur.com/8giNUMX.gif

Nightmare390
07-02-2016, 09:17 AM
This game is pretty awesome, but it could be soo much more it's disheartening.

missmar
07-02-2016, 09:28 AM
i think the reason so many of us are enthralled is because of the massive potential behind Defiance, but Trion is probably saying "on paper, it isn't looking good this month"

what bothers me is that it really seems out of the hands of the dev team and Trion is playing favorites, careless about losing our favor.

they seem to be ignoring the obvious signs of Defiance's popularity... die-hard fans, fiercely competitive pvpers, servers collapsing under the load of incoming new players

can only imagine someone at Trion doesn't like the game is lobbying against it

Riz
07-02-2016, 09:40 AM
This is said to be a dying game 'with all people leaving' since the start. I even said it myself back in 2013, yet we're still here :) This game certainly has issues, especially on PS3 (sadly). Unbelievable lag, hardfreezes, invisible enemies, invisible allies and we could probably come up with a list of 99 problems and more.

I've read an uncountable amount of threads predicting a bad future for Defiance. Some even made sense. I played the beta of the game and noticed that when the game launched in april 2013 (yes, i do have the 'Daredevil' title and wear it with pride) nothing changed. At launch the game was in the same state as the beta was, so it surely wouldnt last long before it'd surely die, right? I bought the season pass and watched Trion get away with 5 lazy DLC's. Yet, we're still here. I've seen enemies turn into bulletsponges when the Chimera-DLC came out and introduced the Apex enemies with armor plates. Yes, armor plates weren't in the game at first! Because that fcked the game up and lower levels (by that i mean below 4000 ego) kept dying everywhere when a high ego showed up, the game was surely going to die. Everybody was quitting, so to say.

Sure, the game lost lots and lots of people. But so do other games! :) Defiance also keeps getting new players. And there are reasons for that. Despite all of the problems the game had in the past and still has, it does do a couple of things right in a fantastic way. The shooting mechanics are out of this world and even when you're maxed out on EGO the game still manages to offer a lot of variation. Coops, PvP, open world, arena's, sieges, incursions, arkfalls, timetrials, replay storymode and so on. We're a little too critical when it comes to grinding. Real RPG's are just as much of a grind. Boredom is in every game you play too much and the PvP in games that are made for PvP -CoD and Battlefield- are just as unbalanced. This game outlived GTA V, Destiny and the Division. Despite being written off numerous times. Hell, i even own all of those games and still come back to Defiance every now and then. Why? This game offers me something the other games do not. A lot of joy and perfect shooting.

This game will eventually die on consoles though. But the reason for that will not be the game, but the console. I have a PS4 as well, and only use the PS3 for Defiance. I'm noticing my PS3 is getting older, my controller is slowly but surely falling apart. I wont be buying a new console for just one game. Since Trion said they wont be bringing Defiance to next-gen (or rather current-gen) it means the day my PS3 decides to die on me, is the day i'll quit playing Defiance for good. Not sooner, despite the numerous threads on this matter. :) And i should know haha. I quit playing a dozen times and returned as much times just to play 'my' favorite shooter.

Draigon
07-04-2016, 05:19 AM
Well said. Defiance is a high quality, addictive game and is very unique in the MMO universe, especially now when Firefall committed suicide (very unfortunate, played it a lot), don't know about Destiny or Global Agenda.

But I must say: Defiance has a bad F2P model, in fact, it's a textbook example of bad F2P

Destiny is all but dead, afaik. Sad to hear about firefall, though it does explain the lack of emails from them for the last year or so now. Sadly, last I checked (about two years or so now) Global Agenda had reached the stage of "last one out, get the lights".

As far as good vs bad f2p models, defiance ranks among the worst in terms of sheer p2w content. Even EA's swtor, and turbine's Lord of the rings online, despite crippling DLC/sub based content locks didn't farm op hardware off to the wealthiest of players. (Swtor has weapons and armor available for microtransaction purchase, but they're all moddable blank templates, mostly for cosmetic purposes)

Since the f2p conversion, however, defiance, like most of Trion's library, has become a naked cash grab, which has led to a mass exodus of players. Even Rift, the flagship mmo of the sinking trion empire is losing population due to implementation of p2w mechanics...and don't even get me started on ArcheAge lol

Draigon
07-04-2016, 05:26 AM
Comment is worth my upvote. Destiny is already an abandoned wasteland surrounding the catastrophic derailment of the hype-train. The Division already has an endgame that nobody wants, and Player Killers make it annoying...

Shooter RPGs are in short supply, MMO shooters even more rare. An open world shooter RPG has appeal, anyone looking for PvP exclusive action is probably already addicted to Planetside, Defiance seems to be the lone stand-out in the niche.

I see so much potential here now that the show is over.

As far as RPG shooters, Fallout and Mass effect are all that spring to mind....mmo shooters, there was the now defunct Global Agenda, which had humorous anti-elf YouTube vids, FireFall, which was kinda heavy on the grind but light on story (though the devs themselves jumping in as boss mobs for world events was neat), and Fallen Earth (good ol post apocalypse goodness, with an extremely heavy emphasis on crafting and a player driven market)

Mr Devlin
07-04-2016, 08:35 AM
This game is pretty awesome, but it could be soo much more it's disheartening.

OOhhh yea that lack faith in the task... I lament your passing.....

Punkduck2064
07-04-2016, 08:50 AM
I agree with Riz,

This game has had the same stability issues since launch. I put in over 1,000 hours a year across all platforms in the first two years. The PS3 was my preferred platform, but it had the worst stability issues. When my PS3 died a little over a year ago, I decided it was time to walk away from Defiance.
I pop in from time to time to see how the state of the game is, and the core game play is still solid. but there is little new content to keep players engaged.

As long as Trion keeps pulling in new gamers, even if they leave after a few months, then it is a success to them. I doubt we will see a port to the PS4/Xbone as they probably could not pass certification with they current product, and they most likely don't have the resources to fix everything that is wrong with the game.

TheRealDeal
07-04-2016, 02:34 PM
there is a list literally a mile long on why alot of people are quitting . 5 main things

1. Trion getting greedy ( too many subcategories to mention sums it up in 3 words)
2. major disconnecting issues
3. people glitching/exploiting ( but in fairness serves em right sometimes as much as Trion has ripped off alot of people)
4. no new content/what new content is released is recycled garbage or is more than substandard garbage
5. Patron pass/Free to play ruined the game for people who have full game

MataC
07-08-2016, 07:20 AM
I'm starting to think we players have better understanding and knowledge about managing MMO games...