PDA

View Full Version : Great game, but boosts are *insanely* overpriced

technophebe
04-07-2013, 04:29 AM
Just as the title says. Loving the game, wanted to support it by budgeting to keep a loot boost on myself, but after buying one and realizing they still tick even when you're not logged in, there's not a chance in hell. Here's a breakdown:

Personal 10% loot boost = 160 bits / 24 hours real-time.
6 for 500 bits -> 1.92 / 24 hours real-time

That works out as 13.44 per calendar week or 58.44 per calendar month for *one* boost. I could buy a brand new AAA title every month or subscribe to *four* monthly subscription MMOs for that price. I'm sorry guys, that's just an absurd price!

I truly *want* to support the game with further purchases but *will not* pay these ridiculous rates.

That criticism aside, loving the game and will continue to play, just won't be giving you any more money until you get real with the cash shop pricing.

Ohgood
04-07-2013, 04:32 AM
Fortunately for Trion most people are terrible at Math.

SphaZ
04-07-2013, 04:33 AM
I'm hoping they will switch the boosts to in-game time instead of real-life. That would be more reasonable. Still expensive, but a boost is totally optional and paying for something and it runs out even when you don't play just doesn't seem right to me :mad:

Valethar
04-07-2013, 05:13 AM
Pretty much the whole store is ridiculously priced. They had a brain fart and thought Defiance was a F2P title, and went with an EA style Greed Collective pricing structure, then congratulated themselves on 'being competitively priced' with other games.

The only thing they forgot to do was put the real store prices and inventory back after April Fools was over.

technophebe
04-07-2013, 06:47 AM
I just don't really understand it, I mean I am pretty much the definition of their core market; early 30's, steady income, lifetime gamer, but the boosts (and in fact the lockboxes too) are just not priced for me or people like me.

Do people actually buy these items at these prices? And for those who do, who can afford to do so regularly and thus ensure a steady income stream for Trion? I can't fathom the business case at all. Surely it's better to have a steady stream of players spending small amounts but doing so consistently over a prolonged period than having a small glut at the start and then losing all your paying customers because you're not providing value for money?

Is it just a case that the decision makers are completely detached from reality or is there actually a business case to be made for charging so much?

seany1977
04-07-2013, 06:50 AM
Don't buy em then. You don't need 'boosts' to enjoy or progress in the game

RawrKitty
04-07-2013, 06:55 AM
Don't buy em then. You don't need 'boosts' to enjoy or progress in the game

not a constructive response.

the prices for boosts are not necissarily high, its just the amount of boost you get per amount of money you spend is very low, for those prices if they lasted 3 days it might be a litlte more reasonable i thinks, and seany, 12$ for a single cosmetic outfit is pretty steep, for 90% of people playing, maybe more lol

knightblaster
04-07-2013, 07:10 AM
It's a bit expensive, but frankly I don't think anyone would ever boost every single day for a month. To me, a boost is the kind of thing I would buy only if I had, say, a weekend day where I knew I would be playing the crap out of the game because I set aside time to do that. It isn't the kind of thing I would spend for the more typical hour or two on workday evening. SO I guess I don't mind the price, because it isn't something I would use very much (and I suspect most people also don't use boosts for an hour or two of regular workday play).

technophebe
04-07-2013, 07:30 AM
Sure yeah, I understand not everyone plays as much as I do, but to be honest that makes the boosts even *less* good value because you're paying for a 24hr boost to play what, 5-6 hours max?

knightblaster
04-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Sure yeah, I understand not everyone plays as much as I do, but to be honest that makes the boosts even *less* good value because you're paying for a 24hr boost to play what, 5-6 hours max?

I guess. I probably wouldn't buy one unless I was planning to play 12+ on one day, I think. I've probably played 6+ or so this weekend, and thought about getting a boost, but decided it wasn't worth it because I didn't have a huge stretch of time to dedicate to it and make it worthwhile. Then again, for some people about EUR 2 for a boost in progression even for a 5-6 hour session could be worth it.

Aetrion
04-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Yea, making use of any of the premium features in this game is pretty much out of the question for me. Not because I can't afford it, but because it's a terrible value for money. You can buy subscriptions to a dozen pay to play MMOs and get all their content without having to pay a dime extra with what it would cost you to run continuously with every premium option in Defiance.

babeslayer66
04-07-2013, 08:07 AM
I haven't bought any boosts as they are too expensive. If they change it to game hours instead of real time, Then I will buy boosts all the time.

Ortonius
04-07-2013, 08:24 AM
I guess I'm the only one who isn't offended by the price of the boosts as well as how they are used. Trion is a business and they are in it to make money, just like any business. Someone earlier in this thread said that "you don't have to buy the boosts" wasn't constructive criticism, but that's exactly the case. The boosts are there for those who wish to purchase them, but in no way, shape, or form are they forcing you to.

This is the way a F2P / B2P game works.

Dist0rt3d Hum0r
04-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Just as the title says. Loving the game, wanted to support it by budgeting to keep a loot boost on myself, but after buying one and realizing they still tick even when you're not logged in, there's not a chance in hell. Here's a breakdown:

Personal 10% loot boost = 160 bits / 24 hours real-time.
6 for 500 bits -> 1.92 / 24 hours real-time

That works out as 13.44 per calendar week or 58.44 per calendar month for *one* boost. I could buy a brand new AAA title every month or subscribe to *four* monthly subscription MMOs for that price. I'm sorry guys, that's just an absurd price!

I truly *want* to support the game with further purchases but *will not* pay these ridiculous rates.

That criticism aside, loving the game and will continue to play, just won't be giving you any more money until you get real with the cash shop pricing.

http://i.qkme.me/51ym.jpg

Fuzzy Skinner
04-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Yerp...
I wouldn't say the prices of boosts are too much, it's just that the timer keeps running when you're offline. If it was 80 bits for 24 hours of actual play time then it would be worth it.
The lock boxes are the most criminally priced. These should only be like 10-40 bits or so. It doesn't take long at all to buy any of the lock boxes with resources. You would have to be a fool to spend bits a lock box. The outfits are over priced as well.
They need to seriously rework their in game store.

Kleptobrainiac
04-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Items will begin to go on special once the initial race to max is over.

I also agree that the value of the items being sold is lackluster. Personally, until they show that they can fix the current outstanding bugs, I'll not spend another dime. I'm still waiting on my DDE items ffs...

DerHerbman
04-07-2013, 08:42 AM
I guess I'm the only one who isn't offended by the price of the boosts as well as how they are used. Trion is a business and they are in it to make money, just like any business. Someone earlier in this thread said that "you don't have to buy the boosts" wasn't constructive criticism, but that's exactly the case. The boosts are there for those who wish to purchase them, but in no way, shape, or form are they forcing you to.

This is the way a F2P / B2P game works.

Yes, but I cant imagine that they sell much of it right now, so its a bad business decision! 12$ for an outfit??? How many people will waste that much money? You can buy a real shirt for that! But if they will sell it for 5$ many more people would have bought it. Same with all the shop items.

I really wanted to buy something in the shop to support them, but Im not a fool! Ill wait for the DLC and hope its not overpriced like that. What will the DLC price be when a single Outfit is 12$??

Buruko
04-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Okay so as fr as revenue streams Defiance has two external sponsors Dodge and Axe. I see where Dodge got their return on investment but what about Axe? We'll see I guess.

Sponsors aside, there is the physical purchase. Required by Trion to play the game continuously, a rental gets to play but has to shelve the game. Also I believe a renter with limited time may actually be more likely to spend money on boosts than say a regular owner.

Now lets say you base revenue off of population, let says there is a player base of 300,000 subscribers across three platforms. If there is a 10% conversion of that base into shop users a month, with an average purchase price of $10, that is 30,000 people times $10 a piece for a monthly revenue of $300,000. Now that is not a lot of money in terms of monthly revenue, especially considering potential operating costs. So we need additional revenue streams namely DLC and additional sponsorships. Partnered with a TV show there is potential there unlike other games. Bottom line revenue is important to keep the ship upright and people paid.

As far as pricing in the ash shop goes the prices are reasonable in my opinion compared to the time investment you would have to make to resource buy lock boxes, and to keep outfits exclusive to those wishing to buy them. As for boost pricing and real time vs ingame time the only way the system makes since financially is to have it real time based, as a single 24 hour purchase could take weeks for a person to use ingame time meaning few sales of the boosts over term. So the OP statement saying he'd buy them every day is a fallacy as if he did so every day for a month he'd have 720 hours of boosts and if he only played 10 hours a week he'd still have 680 hours of boost left from that month worth of purchases. That is why it is based on real time not ingame time it's a proper working business model. Will people not buy for that reason? Sure, but there will still be purchases made cause to other they see a value there for whatever their reason.

I know I will most likely buy a boost here or there, but I realize its a boost and not an intrugal part of the game nor their sole source of income so I feel no need to buy them everyday out of some obligation to keep the game running either.

Buruko
04-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Yes, but I cant imagine that they sell much of it right now, so its a bad business decision! 12$ for an outfit??? How many people will waste that much money? You can buy a real shirt for that! But if they will sell it for 5$ many more people would have bought it. Same with all the shop items.

I really wanted to buy something in the shop to support them, but Im not a fool! Ill wait for the DLC and hope its not overpriced like that. What will the DLC price be when a single Outfit is 12$??

Drama bomb! DLC is $9.99 each or Season Pass for $40. Relax.

Also there are low priced outfits on the shop but everyone seems to gripe about the higher ones, which means they are desired and only those willing to buy will have them, this offers exclusivity to the outfit instead of everyone running around wearing the same outfit.

Dist0rt3d Hum0r
04-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Snip
Thank you for stating that which I have neither the knowledge nor patience to state.

People have to realize that in order for this to stay subscription free there has to be other methods of income. Buruko did an excellent job of explaining them. Basically, so do as the OP suggested would ruin the "economy" of the game, eventually bringing us a monthly subscription and more expensive DLCs.

Astralblades
04-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Just as the title says. Loving the game, wanted to support it by budgeting to keep a loot boost on myself, but after buying one and realizing they still tick even when you're not logged in, there's not a chance in hell.

Yeah - if the boosts only counted down using in-game time, I feel like it would be much better for everyone. Customers would be happier since they felt like they were getting their money's worth, and more people would end up buying boosts (and more frequently).

Princess Luna
04-07-2013, 09:00 AM
I think it would be more reasonable if they just raised the boosts from 10% to at least 25%. It would also be really cool if they added an option to buy boosts with scrip, I have a lot of scrip to spend but nothing to spend it on.