PDA

View Full Version : Former PS3 player starting on PC

Hi Im Factor
08-22-2016, 01:16 PM
Ahh a fresh start, except now I have some general idea of what i'm doing

Are there any strange things I need to know that aren't on the ps3 version?

Sir Oliver
08-22-2016, 01:46 PM
Ahh a fresh start, except now I have some general idea of what i'm doing

Are there any strange things I need to know that aren't on the ps3 version?

Yeah you're using a keyboard and a mouse to play now.

Menetekel
08-22-2016, 01:52 PM
Yeah you're using a keyboard and a mouse to play now.

Or are you? O,o, you could try hooking up your controller to your PC :) Welcome to PC btw Press NA for incomprehensible English (Most of the time) or EU for incomprehensible multi-language supported zone chat. Other then that it's all pretty much the same.

Hi Im Factor
08-22-2016, 02:47 PM
Nah i'm using my xbone controller, prolly most I've used the thing since I got an xbox lol

clubside
08-22-2016, 04:38 PM
Controller is definitely the way to go, but you'll notice one things very different using it on PC: scrolling the map is SLOOOOOOOW. The PS3 map scrolls at super speed, but on 360 and PC it is lethargic. This'll be a chance to grab the mouse and uber scroll when needed.

Other than that it's all a net gain. As someone who plays on all three platforms the biggest changes you'll notice from the shift from PS3:

Instant loading: no waiting for the HUD or world to render after Fast Travel.

Seeing other players: make sure you adjust the Proxy Memory slider under Display Settings so you can see your fellow ark hunters decked out in their gear rather than Sgt. Steve everywhere.

Far less pop-in: now when you're barreling down the road you're much less likely to have your vehicle explode from an unseen enemy or barrier. It's not perfect but for the most part Emergencies render well in advance of your approach.

More screen real estate: whether you're running at 1080p or something higher, the UI is taking up much less space. Lists are longer, you can see most if not all weapon stats without scrolling, plus higher resolution textures and smoother character models. I play at 1440p and while not spectacular the game looks great.

Use the mouse where appropriate: yes, the controller is the way to play, but the mouse has situation advantages (as well as the keyboard for text chat). I already mentioned the map, but on your inventory screen use the mousewheel to scroll and you can actually see new items (the ones with the yellow bar in the upper right) and as long as you don'y click/highlight them they'll remain marked as new.

One last downer: depending on your resolution the particle effects can be more irritating than on PS3. Shrill smoke in particular is so much thicker, but Spanner Protectors, green gobs from Defiant Few weapons, fire from Smelters and Purgatory, can all be eye-searing.

Have fun!