PDA

View Full Version : Character Customization, What is the Goal?

Obsidian
09-12-2012, 05:05 PM
What level of Customization will we be seeing?
Will we have the new and very much publicly demanded system of stat transfer?
Will it be gear with cosnetic clothes only?
Will this game follow the (frankly Terrible) art and style constraints we see in rift? (very small number of styles and looks with no vastly unique looks that are different from one to another)

Will there be a cash shop for armor styles?

Character customization is becoming more and more important for my gaming as more and more games become online and community based, I cannot stand wearing or having a clone to everyone else. I loved rogue ranking in rift but the armor constraints were just terrible. Only one idea of what each class should look like, no changed, no really sexy looks, no sharp looking full plate, no elemental inspired armor, and as far as the wiki goes nothing new has been added. No revealing armor in rift dispite the main character on the new exspansion pack, But as a friend said that plays, "nothing like that is planned for player items".

What I am hoping to see in defiance is a LARGE range of armor looks and styles, heavy/bulky/sharp/swag/prim/sexy/posh/wanderer/junksalvage/military/light The world is full of styles and looks, and I'd hate to play the game for a few weeks to discover everyone is wearing the same 4 damn suits.

tankknat
09-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Would be good to have alot of customization in clothing, but from what ive seen in the footage and stuff, it seems that the weapon are going to have the most customization in game, as each mod you apply to the weapon will change it in someway or another... yeah cloths would be cool, but from what i would think is they need to keep it in tone with the tv show also... so having like should armor that 6 feet tall i dont think anyone would REALLY be able to wear and fight in ;) (but yeah that would be quite cool)

Ravallian
09-13-2012, 08:55 AM
If Rift was anything to go by I'm sure we'll get a good range of customisation for our characters BUT there will always be an underlying theme of the show/game/species that you can't deviate from I guess :)

Obsidian
09-13-2012, 06:29 PM
If Rift was anything to go by I'm sure we'll get a good range of customisation for our characters BUT there will always be an underlying theme of the show/game/species that you can't deviate from I guess :)

Wait what? Since when did rift have good customization?? I played for like 2 months and I only ever saw about 7 chest bits for my riftstalker and they all looked the same and grosse.

Speaking of which I see the new storm art has some nice plate bikini's but will that actually be atainable? I can't stand teases.

Escyos
09-14-2012, 01:28 AM
We know thatyou can change hair, tattoos, accessories etc. But there would a preset number of combinations that you can make and chances are the coolest things will be seen on everyone.

(BTW first post in a while, Ive missed it here)

Obsidian
09-14-2012, 06:17 AM
I do see a lot of differences in basic stuff on the vids. Would love to see more on this.

Phatality
09-15-2012, 11:30 AM
you wont see major race differences in body shapes, due to the fact all races need to be played by actual humans in the show. but the aliens do look pretty good and with all the gear u can get you probably wont even see your face with helmets and masks.
to be honest i really dont care about the tiny details in character customization like nose/mouth/eyebrow placements and junk.
basic stuff like hair/skin/tattoos and ear rings is cool. also basic body shapes like skinny/muscular/tall/short and fat would be fine with me, ya know stuff you would see IRL

Obsidian
09-15-2012, 02:05 PM
you wont see major race differences in body shapes, due to the fact all races need to be played by actual humans in the show. but the aliens do look pretty good and with all the gear u can get you probably wont even see your face with helmets and masks.
to be honest i really dont care about the tiny details in character customization like nose/mouth/eyebrow placements and junk.
basic stuff like hair/skin/tattoos and ear rings is cool. also basic body shapes like skinny/muscular/tall/short and fat would be fine with me, ya know stuff you would see IRL

For me mainly I was talking about clothes and gear, Like Adding a armored jacket but no shirt, or visa versa, Changing the color of the armor Adding large heavy armored thigh high boots to a light top and skirt, adding large shoulder armor and jacket to a large buff guy, Or having my soilder heavy arms character have no shirt on but some scrap armor to give him an arnold look, You know those kind. I am sure we will see basic character creation face and body type alteration.

Phatality
09-22-2012, 06:28 PM
right on, ya that kind of customization would be really cool. if we dont see it at launch i bet it will come in a xpac in the future.

Gibson Khaine
09-24-2012, 06:21 AM
My thoughts on customisation probably mirrors a large portion of the community. And I think its going to a major factor in the games development.
Reasons are as follows:

The Show is a lot about the characters, their social and political growth. The characters are intergral to what the show is about. They have even hinted that competitions may exist that puts your player character into the tv show. Thats huge and if characters are all carbon copyies with too few customisations its not going to work too well.

Secondly Money. Infact on every free to play model, or hybrid with prescription with optional fees ( a growing trend in online games), the main revenue generated on free to play models is customisation options. I know they have not yet announced or decided their business model yet but expect partly micro transactions on customisation to be a very good revenue stream where customisation is essential.

Races..
7 variants on the Ark? + humans? Now Im unclear exactly how many of the 7 races on the Ark make it to character creation, the fact that the show has key alien characters its seems to make sense so to will the player base. We know how diverse humans can be so each individual species/race may have as much diversity within themselves. This is a phenomenal scope for customisation. ANd the focus in these races coming to gether and work with each other means that it too will be fantastic. And Im not just talking about physical characteristics such as nose, hair colour, skin colour, you also have a rich cultural background within the alien 'caste' system too that has the scope for fashion and style so diverse that has never been seen on Earth before.

Unbeleviable.
The potential is there and difference/diversity is an integral part of the setting. So Im expecting a lot :)

Obsidian
10-02-2012, 04:12 PM
My thoughts on customisation probably mirrors a large portion of the community. And I think its going to a major factor in the games development.
Reasons are as follows:

The Show is a lot about the characters, their social and political growth. The characters are intergral to what the show is about. They have even hinted that competitions may exist that puts your player character into the tv show. Thats huge and if characters are all carbon copyies with too few customisations its not going to work too well.

Secondly Money. Infact on every free to play model, or hybrid with prescription with optional fees ( a growing trend in online games), the main revenue generated on free to play models is customisation options. I know they have not yet announced or decided their business model yet but expect partly micro transactions on customisation to be a very good revenue stream where customisation is essential.

Races..
7 variants on the Ark? + humans? Now Im unclear exactly how many of the 7 races on the Ark make it to character creation, the fact that the show has key alien characters its seems to make sense so to will the player base. We know how diverse humans can be so each individual species/race may have as much diversity within themselves. This is a phenomenal scope for customisation. ANd the focus in these races coming to gether and work with each other means that it too will be fantastic. And Im not just talking about physical characteristics such as nose, hair colour, skin colour, you also have a rich cultural background within the alien 'caste' system too that has the scope for fashion and style so diverse that has never been seen on Earth before.

Unbeleviable.
The potential is there and difference/diversity is an integral part of the setting. So Im expecting a lot :)

I really think that large customization is good, Esspecially customization that you need to earn to buy, i.e. clearing the hardest "dungeon" for the ability to buy armor set style of "enter awesome looking armor name"

I'd like to always customize my armor with any peice I like to keep the most, I've spent 20$ on Gw2 cash shop to get items and to transfure stats onto a item that I like the look of, I've heard rift offered something like this after I quit it, but honestly rift had terrible looking armor, Nothing looked good, full plate with bland 15th century armor.... Nothing based in fantasy, nothing based on the elements... like fire or ice, I know that rift had this idea of not having ANY sexy armor that showed off skin, but many gamers had this as a top issue as to why they did not stay, It was THEE reason for me to leave the game as I could just not play a tank rogue with heavy long coats and no good styles. :(

I like the armor I have seen so far in the game vids and hoping they add some of the sexy styles we have seen in the shows trailer.

Amazingy
12-04-2012, 08:10 PM
On the pvp videos they have now you can see a lot of different armor types