PDA

View Full Version : What aspect of the game are you looking forward to?

Jenbuu
09-16-2012, 01:47 AM
Just thought i'd gauge the community's view on this.

What are you looking forward to more the PVP or the PVE?

Im liking the idea of both at the moment but as a massive RPG fan i will more then likely be blitzing the story finding out anything and everything i can ingame.

Then once that is done go on a hunting spree in PVP

Escyos
09-16-2012, 02:24 AM
It is my experience that PVP is one of the most abused system in any game. Yes realistically being able to fight everyone else is something that is required but when people spend every day playing the game in order to get more powerful and attack everyone below them for no reason.

Jenbuu
09-16-2012, 03:01 AM
It is my experience that PVP is one of the most abused system in any game. Yes realistically being able to fight everyone else is something that is required but when people spend every day playing the game in order to get more powerful and attack everyone below them for no reason.

when i meant hunting spree i meant in instanced pvp not greifing :-p
i dont do that lol.

Siantlark
09-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Honestly I'm here for the social aspect of beating up people and monsters with friends. It's not much fun if I'm by myself. No one to banter with and not a whole lot of creative/funny dialogue.

Von
09-16-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm not really into PvP. I probably do a lot of PvE. Whether it is in a
co op, instances, or rampage mission. I also look forward to riding
around on the quad.

Ravallian
09-16-2012, 09:18 PM
I'll mostly PvE but will of course try out some PvP. It'll be interesting to see what kind of PvE content they'll have e.g. whether it'll be endgame heavy (High level Instances) or more of an open world range of content (Thinking GW2 with PoI, Vista, etc.).

Ceridius
09-17-2012, 03:43 AM
PVP is probably the feature I'm most excited about. The 'real-time' button mashing of skills in MMORPGS really doesn't do it for me the way it did a few years ago so having a shooter is a dream come true.

On par with that is the world-building and storytelling. Kind of both apprehensive and excited about how fleshed out the world is going to be (in-game) and how seamless the sync is going to be from game-world to television.

Having notable and famous players being mentioned on the show or even (dare I speculate) full blown characters and entities based on players would be a pretty revolutionary thing to be a part of and to witness. On the other hand, cross-polination can complicate things and contaminate play areas - "don't **** where you eat" kind of thing. I'm an idealist so I'm hoping for a revolutionary immersive world.

Night Hawke
09-17-2012, 12:41 PM
I'm here for fast paced exciting combat mixed with mmo elements and a strong in depth story.

Thorne25
09-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Vehicles and what look to be massive bosses in the Arkfalls are what I'm excited about!

Arkamenitas
09-17-2012, 02:22 PM
top two:

1. beta
2. launch

>.> :P

ThinkTank
09-17-2012, 07:46 PM
1) Trolling Arka
2) Trolling Arka!

:)

PsiBer
09-22-2012, 08:44 AM
I really praise a good story-line and seeing as this will unfold on TV as well, I think I will be quite satisfied with the results, I am heavy PvE but I like a smidge of PvP as the challenge improves my ability in combat and with that portion of the interface related to it. I also praise good artistic qualities in a game... all that time and effort that the Devs put into ambiance IS actually being appreciated by someone... I dont think there is an in game waterfall I havnt stopped to admire in the games I like at those times I like to check out backgrounds (such as sky, mountains/buildings and/or land/sea/space scapes). also sounds, music and even voice (where applicable) adds alot to quality of game/experience.

Arkamenitas
09-22-2012, 12:38 PM
1) Trolling Arka
2) Trolling Arka!

:)

its ok, i understand you have dyslexia and clearly meant:

1) Arka Trolling
2) Arka Trolling!

also, i prefer "Ark"

Gibson Khaine
09-24-2012, 06:33 AM
I'm not sure how to answer this. It's massive. Everything?

Being immersed into this dynamic setting is probably the main thing. Being A PART of it.

I know its a shooter and my expectations for story in the game are quite low despite being a massive rpg and regular roleplayer and architect for story in pen and paper rpg's. My expectations are largely due to the fact its a shooter based game and my biases from experience creeps in. Too long has games being developed lack the innovation and its often been a regurgitation of a previous cookie cutter copy of a previously successful game. The scope for this game is innovative, dynamic and well, mind blowing that I beleive its going to revolutionise and if not create awhole new genre of MMO.

As the Show is based in 'a community' Im sure hoping that theyre laying foundations or design tro include a player built and driven community too. I know this hasn't been too successful in previous games (Horizons, Ultima Online and SWG being the most successsful of such) and that this isnt the target for this MMO but the scope and potential is there.

MrsBrewbud
09-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Hrm... Good question. I think the thing I am most excited about is the fact that the TV Show & the Game will work together. I also hope the community is good! I'm a multi-player kind of gal. I hate playing by myself.

Having notable and famous players being mentioned on the show or even (dare I speculate) full blown characters and entities based on players would be a pretty revolutionary thing to be a part of and to witness. On the other hand, cross-polination can complicate things and contaminate play areas - "don't **** where you eat" kind of thing. I'm an idealist so I'm hoping for a revolutionary immersive world.
^^^ Said perfectly!

JellyBean
11-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Honestly I'm really looking forward to the PVP. a shooter in a mmo style where you can use skills always makes the possibilities open. Much more so than a tab targeting system.

vampero
11-17-2012, 03:50 AM
Getting into the beta and kicking peoples ***** in PvP ! No time to look for glowy's on the ground !!!!

Vega
11-18-2012, 03:19 AM
          

Brotoi
12-13-2012, 01:40 PM
It's been my experience that PvP very quickly degenerates into random griefing and plain old thuggish bullying. Boring. I have tried PvP in a variety of games and platforms and I've never really enjoyed it because either I wind up with a character that is unbeatable or one that can't win at all. This mythic "mad skillz" craze PvP players talk about constantly does not exist as far as I can tell. It's all about the math.

I can see how open world PvP would have great appeal to PvP players, but unless I can opt in and opt out at will (mostly staying opt out), too much PvP design emphasis will definitely kill the game for me.

It's a game. I don't get any sense of pride from manipulating the math. I'd rather just beat up on AI enemies and collect rewards. If the AI is smart enough to require a tiny bit of strategic thinking, so much the better.

Marnaru
12-13-2012, 02:10 PM
For me its PVE mostly becuase of the story, I love science fiction so its a big deal to me. Then after that ill try the PVP, but PVE is my focus.

Carnak
12-14-2012, 12:13 AM
I'm going to say PvE for a few reasons.

Details on exactly how PvP work are still a bit sparse. I'm not a mega PvP-nut so whether I enjoy it or not varies widely from game to game depending on its implementation. In some I've really enjoyed it. In others I've tried it, not enjoyed it and gone on to just ignore it.

Even when a game's PvP sounds good in theory, it doesn't always play out that way in practice.

So all things considered I think my enjoying PvE is a safer bet.

Might also depend on how the PvP relates to the story. I'm not so likely to shoot random strangers just for the hell of it. I'm a bit of a fluffy bunny that way. But if eg. there are in-game factions or even player alliances engaged in PvP conflict and I identify with one of them, then I'm more likely to get into it.

Plasma
12-14-2012, 02:03 AM
being a fps game you buy it to shoot people in the face like cod 99% of time played is mp 6hr on sp and 300+ hr on mp, i know its a mmo so its different but still i think it will be 80% pvp 20% pve

Colts87
12-14-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm going to say PvE for a few reasons.

Details on exactly how PvP work are still a bit sparse. I'm not a mega PvP-nut so whether I enjoy it or not varies widely from game to game depending on its implementation. In some I've really enjoyed it. In others I've tried it, not enjoyed it and gone on to just ignore it.

Even when a game's PvP sounds good in theory, it doesn't always play out that way in practice.

So all things considered I think my enjoying PvE is a safer bet.

Might also depend on how the PvP relates to the story. I'm not so likely to shoot random strangers just for the hell of it. I'm a bit of a fluffy bunny that way. But if eg. there are in-game factions or even player alliances engaged in PvP conflict and I identify with one of them, then I'm more likely to get into it.
Everything Carnak just said.

stormaaron
12-15-2012, 11:48 PM
being a fps game you buy it to shoot people in the face like cod 99% of time played is mp 6hr on sp and 300+ hr on mp, i know its a mmo so its different but still i think it will be 80% pvp 20% pve

personally i would rather it be 50/50 since i will be participating in both

Shadinaxx
12-16-2012, 09:59 PM
the interesting thing about fps vs mmo marketting, is the actually the playerbase. The MMO crowd usually tends to want to explore content, figure out how to do accomplish tasks, kill bosses, get awesome loot, and make a differance in the community. The FPS crowd tends to have alot more "in your face with a shotgun!" mentality, where they like to find a select few people they play with that go out an find hidden spots to ambush other players, and become a feared entity among the community.

There are varying degrees of the above mentioned examples, but those are pretty much the mainstream differances. It will be interesting to see how this is balanced in Defiance, but it all boils down into the MMO crowd tends to get upset if they are ganked or camped, so they need a way out of it, and the FPS crowd needs a challenge and a way to force their reputation into the eyes of anyone that doubts their abilities.

I am still looking forward to the PvE aspect a bit more than the PvP. PvP is the same thing over and over again, you fight players that study every nook and cranny of the map to find hiding spots, ambush points, etc. They all behave similer when caught by surprise, and they all get really upset when they enter the battlefield an die 5 times in a row. PvE has challenges that make you think, places you need to figure out how to get to, and mechanics that need to be tested. AI mobs tends to always know WHERE the bullet that almost killed them came from, an have uncanny luck shots when they spin in your direction and squeeze off a couple rounds.

AmazingPatt
12-16-2012, 11:21 PM
this is what i love about defiance over my battlefield 3,mass effect 3 and halo 4 . in halo and bf it only pvp and i can get easy bored of it . and mass effect multilayer is the same after 3 game of surviving wave it get tiresome fast(even trough i love it a LOT). =/

but defiance is all that i love from those game . i can go questing with buddy or even random people and have a good time and when thing get a bit boring i can just jump into pvp or go help some random stranger that just started playing questing . maybe enjoy a nice arkfall =D . Or go enjoy Racing people or try to beat record . go raid dungeon for a super weapon to go show off in pvp or maybe waste 20min dressing up my character xD . overall the aspect im looking the most in defiance is the whole DIVERSITY =D

Chaotica
12-19-2012, 04:09 PM
I tend to play MMOs for the PVE aspect personally. I usually tend to find PvP pretty lackluster generally, although that could probably just be because I'm terrible at it. :)

Niurok
12-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Not into pvp either unless I have a huge advantage over everyone else. But it looks fun in this game and probably more into exploring and making stuff since I like doing that kind of thing in WoW.

EdelweissGrimm
12-21-2012, 04:11 PM
top two:

1. beta
2. launch

>.> :P

lol, thats exactly what I say!! :D

JellyBean
12-22-2012, 02:34 PM
this is what i love about defiance over my battlefield 3,mass effect 3 and halo 4 . in halo and bf it only pvp and i can get easy bored of it . and mass effect multilayer is the same after 3 game of surviving wave it get tiresome fast(even trough i love it a LOT). =/

but defiance is all that i love from those game . i can go questing with buddy or even random people and have a good time and when thing get a bit boring i can just jump into pvp or go help some random stranger that just started playing questing . maybe enjoy a nice arkfall =D . Or go enjoy Racing people or try to beat record . go raid dungeon for a super weapon to go show off in pvp or maybe waste 20min dressing up my character xD . overall the aspect im looking the most in defiance is the whole DIVERSITY =D

Perfectly said. The mastery is combining the genres and we get the excitement of a tps shooter and the customizability of an mmo. We get to take real ownership of our characters.

Fiancee
12-23-2012, 04:13 AM
Too much fantasy (future doesnt look any better as Elder Scroll Online comes) Think its time for some sci-fi MMO now. Im honestly quite excited.

SparklingNugs
12-23-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm looking really forward to the Arkfalls.

Nucleotides
12-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Finding that twelve year old who talks loads of crap, killing him and spamming the crouch button while standing over his head. What else are shooters for?:p