PDA

View Full Version : will there be a monthly charge u have to pay?

worldwarviolin
09-16-2012, 12:48 PM
im just wondering if there will be a monthly charge like world of warcraft because i hope not

Jenbuu
09-16-2012, 03:00 PM
They haven't announced a business model as of yet so we will have to wait and see.

Demoniku22
09-16-2012, 04:52 PM
I hope they don't, cuz im really strapped for cash. I'll be getting it for the xBox 360 and I can't afford to pay for xBox and this on top of all my other bills. If it does come down to a subscription base, I guess i'll just be going without this game until (if at all) it goes F2P.

worldwarviolin
09-16-2012, 05:25 PM
yeah if its not free witch will be a shame i wont get the game :( but i hope its f2p

Jenbuu
09-17-2012, 01:14 AM
tbh there is many ways they can go.
freemium, f2p, monthly or just to buy the game (like guildwars 2)

it is too early to tell.

Ceridius
09-17-2012, 03:49 AM
Yeah, too early to say. But the box price model looks viable, with paid expansions perhaps. The old-school model works well sometimes.

Muffinman
09-18-2012, 01:59 PM
It will most likely go with a b2p model, maaayybe a cash shop, if thats possible. It won't be free.. you really can't release games on consoles for free... And I doubt it will have a sub fee, do any console games have sub fees?

worldwarviolin
09-18-2012, 02:06 PM
does any 1 know the box price?

Muffinman
09-18-2012, 02:29 PM
does any 1 know the box price?

It has not been announced yet, but most definitely 60$ for Xbox/PS3 and 50-60$ for PC.

Mirimon
09-18-2012, 06:38 PM
go xbox for a chance to pay thrice
pay for so called "live" service
pay for installment
possibly pay for game sub itself.

then wait a week to pay for a new console, since it caught fire/redring/redringbutyoucan'tseeitcuzwerdisablethat and the warranty is now expired.

pc just seems much cheaper, with more options

worldwarviolin
09-18-2012, 07:23 PM
that to bad for me my computer sux alot it can bairly haddle 2 tabs at one time :(

Disdain
10-09-2012, 03:40 AM
Well I hope Defiance is P2P, it will keep the majority of immature gamers out and should prevent the like of in game shops and adverts that just bug the hell out of me. I donít want to pay to have an extra character slot or bag space or mailbox space etc, you end up spending a fortune on most F2P games and honestly, I canít stand them! Iíll give you £10 a month, you give me a game with continual updates and bug fixes. In game currencies to upgrade mailbox bank box etc, and I and a lot like me will be happy

Gibson Khaine
10-09-2012, 05:01 PM
I don't particularly care what they decide on, Ill be playing it regardless :)

But I think with the current mindset of gamers the Free to play model would suit it best after initial purchase of the game.

Basically buy the game at your local shop or online store for $30 -$40 and then purchase in game bonuses.

Personally I dont like the free to play model, it feels like Im paying for short term benefits which puts me off. But for the game to make money i think its the only way to go in current economic climates.

Disdain
10-09-2012, 09:20 PM
In my experience, Games that start out as P2P then turn to F2P only do so because the initial player base has dropped to such a point that it's more profitable to charge the faithful more, than the many less. Look at LOTRO for example. Was a great game till the player base dropped and they turned to F2P (then charged you for breaking wind ingame). SWTOR looks like it's heading that way also, which is a shame.

I know Tera is P2P but if you make enough online currency, you cuy buy tokens in the AH that grant game time. I'm sure EVE has a similar format, players can buy these online tokens to generate extra income in game, but it doesnt reduce the playability of the norm players.

If truly hope this game is P2P, the benifits of P2P outweigh the negatives of F2P models.

Disdain
10-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Consoles, ah something else I didn consider before reading all the comments here. I guess the easiest way for consoles is paying for updates, though that will depend on how often they plan on realeasing new content. Too often and the console players wont want to pay, too little and the PC players will feel as they are being cheated. A delicate balance will have to be struck, Iím not aware of any console games that require a monthly subscription, though I can imagine that it shouldnít be too difficult to implement.

It really is something that might have to be tested to find the best solution, though as Iíve mentioned, Iíd prefer the PC to remain a P2P model

Siantlark
10-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Consoles, ah something else I didn consider before reading all the comments here. I guess the easiest way for consoles is paying for updates, though that will depend on how often they plan on realeasing new content. Too often and the console players wont want to pay, too little and the PC players will feel as they are being cheated. A delicate balance will have to be struck, I’m not aware of any console games that require a monthly subscription, though I can imagine that it shouldn’t be too difficult to implement.

It really is something that might have to be tested to find the best solution, though as I’ve mentioned, I’d prefer the PC to remain a P2P model
Free to play actually isn't all that bad if the developers are reasonable and aren't money grabbing like a lot of other F2P's tend to be. Just look at some of the better F2P games out there like TF2, Firefall, Planetside 2, Tribes Ascend. They're all shooters and two of them are large scale MMO's and what they all have in common is a very good implementation of F2P that doesn't break the game. (You can argue about T:A but it's pretty much the grind that kills it).

The only reason why F2p has such a bad name is because there are a bunch of other games out there that make ridiculous money grabs, turn their game into Freemium games (Which are completely separate from the F2P category) and try to squeeze as much money as they can out of the players by selling content and power.

Disdain
10-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Free to play actually isn't all that bad if the developers are reasonable and aren't money grabbing like a lot of other F2P's tend to be. Just look at some of the better F2P games out there like TF2, Firefall, Planetside 2, Tribes Ascend. They're all shooters and two of them are large scale MMO's and what they all have in common is a very good implementation of F2P that doesn't break the game. (You can argue about T:A but it's pretty much the grind that kills it).

The only reason why F2p has such a bad name is because there are a bunch of other games out there that make ridiculous money grabs, turn their game into Freemium games (Which are completely separate from the F2P category) and try to squeeze as much money as they can out of the players by selling content and power.

The main reason I prefer P2P models is basically down to content Updates and Patching, with F2P models the company has no real obligation to cater for the longer term players, rather just focusing on continually recruiting new players.

P2P models have the advantage of continual financial support of the community, plus the pressure to generate new content. Not all F2P are bad but in the majority of cases they are F2P (Freemium) because the can still generate a lot of income at the cost of the dedicated few. LOTRO is an example, they charge you additional costs for pretty much everything.

Siantlark
10-13-2012, 04:55 PM
The main reason I prefer P2P models is basically down to content Updates and Patching, with F2P models the company has no real obligation to cater for the longer term players, rather just focusing on continually recruiting new players.

P2P models have the advantage of continual financial support of the community, plus the pressure to generate new content. Not all F2P are bad but in the majority of cases they are F2P (Freemium) because the can still generate a lot of income at the cost of the dedicated few. LOTRO is an example, they charge you additional costs for pretty much everything.

That's bad developers (Or bad meddling by executives who force the devs to do that.) The fact is that F2P systems that rely on legitimate economic models (ie: Not screwing over players) are required to add new content in anyways. No one except for a dedicated few play games after the content is gone, it's true for F2p, it's true for P2P and it's true for B2P. That's why player created content, dynamic events, OWPvP and things of that nature are so big right now in the gaming industry. Players don't want a non evolving game because it's boring and stupid.

Furthermore if F2P is added into the game correctly and isn't some shortsighted money grab the developershave to rely on the long term players. Most of your new players aren't going to spend money on a game that they've started playing 2 days ago. The ones that will are the people who've played your game for a long time and have an emotional investment in the game and it's developers. Veterans that have seen the game progress and actively want it to succeed. It's the reason why people pay up 15$ for WoW every month. It's why people buy sequels. F2P games are driven by the same economic principles that P2P games are; the only difference is that F2P lowers the cost of entry.

Thorne25
10-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Hi everyone,

We already have several ongoing discussions about this topic. If you'd like to share your thoughts, you'll find the main discussion threads here:

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?68-Monthly-subscription-for-the-PC-Or-f2p

We're going to close this thread and ask that this discussion continue in the thread linked above so we can keep the discussions about this topic a little better consolidated.

As a friendly reminder, we do recommend using the forum search function (http://forums.defiance.com/search.php) (searching in thread titles works best) and checking through the last couple pages to see if there is already an existing thread about a topic you'd like to discuss. When topic discussions are consolidated, it not only makes it easier to use the search function, but it also aids the Rift Community and Development Teams when reading the forums and gathering feedback from your posts, ideas, and concerns.

If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to contact us at community@defiance.com.

Thank you!