PDA

View Full Version : Rail Guns?

Price of Ambition
02-23-2013, 05:19 PM
After playing Dust 514 I have come to love Railguns even more than before. With this being the future and alien technology I wonder if there Railguns. They can make a stratofortress I think they can make super efficient semiconductors to weaponize velocity,

D351
02-23-2013, 05:40 PM
This isn't a bad idea...

Price of Ambition
02-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Definitely not a bad idea! I mean if there are rail guns I will be able to overlook other issues so long as I can shoot a gun with a muzzle velocity of like 10,000 m/s with something like 100 MJ of energy! This is the future with alien tech! I want it possible!

Oh! Oh! With experience and weapons I would love to be able to get higher muzzle velocities and more energy into each shot with components such as superconductors and other pieces. Like

D351
02-23-2013, 08:25 PM
This would probably be an exotic weap that runs out. Otherwise, it'd end up being a way OP sniper rifle.

Desidus
02-23-2013, 08:28 PM
This would probably be an exotic weap that runs out. Otherwise, it'd end up being a way OP sniper rifle.

Should be a vehicle weapon considering the amount of power it takes to operate a railgun.

D351
02-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Should be a vehicle weapon considering the amount of power it takes to operate a railgun.

That'd work.

Midniteryu
02-23-2013, 08:34 PM
A vehicle mounted rail gun would be sweet.

Price of Ambition
02-23-2013, 08:42 PM
This is the future with alien technology. If they can't build a hand held rail gun something is wrong with this sci-fi setting.

Chirimo
02-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Have it on an open roofed dune buggy lol sounds great

Price of Ambition
02-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Without either insane amounts of thrust or use of electromagnets how do they keep a stratocarrier in the air? I don't want my rail guns on a vehicle I want my rail guns handheld and go pew pew.

Desidus
02-23-2013, 08:55 PM
Meh, handheld railguns just seem rediculous to me regardless of alien tech or not. lol. Makes me think of the movie eraser.. maybe that is why.

Aaricane
02-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Question, what the hell is a railgun?

Midniteryu
02-23-2013, 10:22 PM
Question, what the hell is a railgun?

A railgun is a weapon that fires a solid slug, or ball at mach speeds or equivalent.

There are several theories on how to make the projectile reach such speeds. Here's an excerpt from the wiki regarding them.

A railgun is an electrically powered electromagnetic projectile launcher based on similar principles to the homopolar motor. A railgun comprises a pair of parallel conducting rails, along which a sliding armature is accelerated by the electromagnetic effects of a current that flows down one rail, into the armature and then back along the other rail.

Super_Jagerman
02-23-2013, 10:43 PM
Eraser Gun was the only thing good about the movie Eraser.

Lightcaster
02-23-2013, 10:49 PM
A railgun at it's most powerful is supposed to accelerate a round to near relativistic speeds. Our technology is getting close to making railguns now, but nowhere near a 'true' railgun... The addition of the Votan tech may or may not help (the current issues we are having is that the magnetic field of the earth is interfering with the slug afaik.)

Yagu
02-24-2013, 03:30 AM
You should also consider recoil. If the slug leaves the barrel with the speed of 10,000 m/s probably no human could withstand that much recoil. It would only make sense if it was mounted on vehicles. And if you say the bullet would be very small then it would just vaporize from the ammount of heat generated by friction.

Desidus
02-24-2013, 05:41 AM
A railgun at it's most powerful is supposed to accelerate a round to near relativistic speeds. Our technology is getting close to making railguns now, but nowhere near a 'true' railgun... The addition of the Votan tech may or may not help (the current issues we are having is that the magnetic field of the earth is interfering with the slug afaik.)

There is an actual railgun that has been made and it works. It basically uses so much power that it would blackout a city if they took all the power at once so they slowly build up the power required. BTW anyone using a handheld railgun, dont forget to take off your watch. :D

D351
02-24-2013, 05:47 AM
Realistically, a carriable railgun would be so powerful as to make other weapons irrelevant.

Price of Ambition
02-24-2013, 10:52 AM
There is no recoil because you are not using an explosive. You are passing a very strong current through two rails and by the right hand rule it causes forward motion. Now to weaponize velocity you would need speeds around 3,500 m/s at 50 mJ worth of energy, remember that the muzzle velocity of an M-16 is roughly 950 m/s. Also the ammunition is smaller because you don't need that propellant to make your weapon work. Imagine a rail gun on a tank that would shoot maybe a 2 pound slug of depleted uranium at Mach 10 into another tank or structure. It is going to pass through it and anything on the inside is going to be sucked out the exit hole should it not be bolted down.

Man portable rail guns would fire slugs weighing 200 grams or so at such speeds will pretty much turn a person inside out when it passes through their body. Who knows the power generation Votan tech is capable of but they built the Arks to travel to a new solar system so it needs to be impressive and the Earth Republic can build a stratocarrier which implies a deeper understanding of electromagnetic forces than we have today.

Hell I would settle for a coil gun or a mass driver >.>

Midniteryu
02-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Maybe the downed stratocarrier has one we can salvage.

Dead_Phoenix
02-24-2013, 10:57 AM
not as if we wont have enough choice in weaponary in the game... but more is always fun :)

definatly agree its nice, not sure tho which neesh it would cover tho. very cool looking.

Price of Ambition
02-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Is badass a niche?

Dead_Phoenix
02-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Is badass a niche?

lol can never complain at a weapon being bad *** is its only purpose.

Duskguy
02-24-2013, 01:53 PM
perhaps classify as a sniper rifle?

super high damage output, slow rechamber/ reload.

havent actually played the game, so i cant say how that would balance, but i was figuring a one shot to the head no matter if there are shields. snipers i saw in streams seem to take the shields and part health? off a head shotted player; so this would be the "you better be far away and not miss" rifle.

Price of Ambition
02-24-2013, 02:16 PM
It would also be an anti-vehicle gun. The projectile is going so fast that when it hits something and passes through it the pressure difference sucks everything on the inside out a very tiny hole. So hitting a tank and it passes through it... well that crew is just one long red streak in a gory line.

D351
02-24-2013, 02:34 PM
There is no recoil because you are not using an explosive. You are passing a very strong current through two rails and by the right hand rule it causes forward motion. Now to weaponize velocity you would need speeds around 3,500 m/s at 50 mJ worth of energy, remember that the muzzle velocity of an M-16 is roughly 950 m/s. Also the ammunition is smaller because you don't need that propellant to make your weapon work. Imagine a rail gun on a tank that would shoot maybe a 2 pound slug of depleted uranium at Mach 10 into another tank or structure. It is going to pass through it and anything on the inside is going to be sucked out the exit hole should it not be bolted down.

Man portable rail guns would fire slugs weighing 200 grams or so at such speeds will pretty much turn a person inside out when it passes through their body. Who knows the power generation Votan tech is capable of but they built the Arks to travel to a new solar system so it needs to be impressive and the Earth Republic can build a stratocarrier which implies a deeper understanding of electromagnetic forces than we have today.

Hell I would settle for a coil gun or a mass driver >.>

Physics doesn't work that way.
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=58280
Action/reaction applies just as much to electromagnetic forces as to explossives. If you hold two magnets near each other both are pulled to together, not one toward the other. However, one of the reasons recoil on guns is so bad for aim is that the recoil pulls the gun up. A railgun wouldn't have this problem. Hypothetically, I believe it's recoil should be straight back, which would be easier to design compensation mechanisms for (though these compensation mechanisms would introduce a cool-down time to a weapon that would otherwise be capable of very high RoF). Another problem is that you're talking about launching a projectile far faster than a normal bullet. That means more recoil. Many sci-fi settings (especially in games) do completely ignore recoil on railguns, because it's cool and they don't understand physics, but in reality, to get those kinds of speeds, the weap would have to be mounted. If you went for a weaker railgun, you might be able to design it to be braced against both shoulders in some kind of harness, but it certainly would be awkward and, I think, qualify it for the "exotic" class in this game. Also, for the case of really low-velocity smaller projectile weaps, you have needlers (as seen in Halo and many cyberpunk settings). These are pretty much (theoretically) feasible, but not as epic as the kind of railgun that people think of when they hear the term "railgun".

That said, this is a sci-fi setting with alien technology (exotic) which could be used to get around these issues with some wand-waving (Let's face it: the shields in this game make little to no sense, especially in the context of the level of tech for everything else, but they do make for good gaming). But at the same time, this tech is rare in this setting, could litterally destroy large parts of the setting with a single shot, and would be way OP by comparrison to everything else. For game balance, a weap like this would have to be mounted or temporary... or simply called a railgun but just be a very long range (and near-silent) sniper rifle. That last option would be the most likely, as I've seen many games put in a "railgun" that's just a sniper rifle. It's also in poor taste and breaks the setting.

On the plus side though, I imagine that one advantage of a railgun (even if unrealistic) that I think we're ignoring is that it would be way more stealthy than any of the publicly seen weaps we have. With no muzzle flash, and only the speed of the object moving as a source of sound, a much weaker and more realistic sub-sonic electromagnetic weap (I don't care if coil or rail or w/e) could be used for sniping right under the enemies' noses. Logically, given the size of the projectile, this should allow one to stay completely unspotted while sniping from whereever you like. Combine that with the cloak ability and it might be game-breaking... but would be seriously badass. Really, even with a supersonic weap, the enemy would be highly aware that they were being shot at (unlike subsonic) but the audio wouldn't be much help for spotting the sniper, as they wouldn't here the sonic boom until the slug was already on them. They still wouldn't know where it was coming from.

DFawkes
02-24-2013, 03:07 PM
I'd have thought if they introduced guns using similar technology, they'd have them under the existing types, like Sniper, Assault Rifle or whatever else. I realised that realistic Railgun's would be too powerful, but you could always make up a reason they aren't that great. Perhaps the kind of technology is new, even to the Votans, or perhaps the terraforming created magnetic interference that stops them being too powerful, or they are awesome but EGO Shields are still enough to stop the rounds. I know, silly suggestions. But I am silly :p

I'd just be happy with some alien weapons in any form, even if it's just weapons skins. Heck, I'm already happy with stuff I've seen in the trailers.

Price of Ambition
02-24-2013, 03:29 PM
The main recoil of a rail gun would be the electromagnetic forces pushing the rails apart and potentially causing arcs to leap between the rails. Along with the tremendous amounts of heat involved so yes a rail gun will have recoil but it would be the weapon trying to rip itself apart from the forces acting upon it. Current technologies estimate weaponized rail guns by 2020 if not sooner.

How conductive is golunite? Can it be used as a superconductor? Is is strong enough to resist the forces put upon it while being charged? Is it strong enough to not rip itself apart? If it can do all of that how long would the rails last before needing to be serviced or replaced?

Duskguy
02-24-2013, 04:07 PM
The main recoil of a rail gun would be the electromagnetic forces pushing the rails apart and potentially causing arcs to leap between the rails. Along with the tremendous amounts of heat involved so yes a rail gun will have recoil but it would be the weapon trying to rip itself apart from the forces acting upon it. Current technologies estimate weaponized rail guns by 2020 if not sooner.

i lol'ed simply because i've been hearing that for a few years now. a few years ago it was "by around 2015" we should have this technology weaponized. now its 2020... eventually we will have space ships and people still saying "soon" to rail guns.
currently i believe the US can get it to work on a battleship, but thats the closest they can get... and its not very efficient if it takes a battle ship to fire a weapon without it ripping itself apart. which i consider "not" weaponized form.

as for the game's balancing issues and such being that the gun would likely be quite, i would say give it slow rechamber/reload speeds and not have any/ not many customization slots (i saw during a stream a weapon that had no customization slots). would keep them balanced to a degree.

as for golunite, its used as fuel by humans, a reproductive substance by hellbugs, yet we dont know whether or not it is a substance that is hard or malleable, or how much so. suppose depending on the answer your question could be answered. it is used as a super charger in the dodge charger that will be in the show i believe (making of the show part 5 : vehicles- has a golunite thing in the hood scoop).

Price of Ambition
02-24-2013, 04:14 PM
They use Petrohol as a fuel source which is on the Charger. Golunite is a mineral now native to Earth after the terraforming event.

Though it no longer matters now. My XBox's hard drive is to small and my laptop is more for work and not gaming so I need to cancel that preorder. If I kept the game I would only be able to play just that game since I have the original 10gb external hard drive that came with the first generation 360s.

Duskguy
02-24-2013, 04:34 PM
They use Petrohol as a fuel source which is on the Charger. Golunite is a mineral now native to Earth after the terraforming event.

Though it no longer matters now. My XBox's hard drive is to small and my laptop is more for work and not gaming so I need to cancel that preorder. If I kept the game I would only be able to play just that game since I have the original 10gb external hard drive that came with the first generation 360s.

ahh, my bad on that charger bit then. as for the original xbox... that what my brother has, he simply bought a 120 gig HD for like $30 and swapped the two out by saving things to a USB and switching over 3 gigs at a time. im so glad i bought my own xbox years ago, couldnt stand sharing an XBOX with a younger brother... and then a roommate in college, so i bought my own and ran 2 xboxes in my dorm room the next semester.

basically, save up $30-40 and get a slightly larger HD, or move all your saves to cloud (if possible).

game on release will only be 5-7 gigs i believe they said in the IGN video, the 10 is just for future DLC space.
or do what i did and build/upgrade a computer if you have the spare cash...god that was a busy summer to accomplish

Prophet of Entropy
02-24-2013, 06:27 PM
from the specs they've stated my 4 year old laptop will surpass the min specs. as to rail guns? same function as a sniper rifle but with a different sound effect and skin? seems redundant

Nos
02-24-2013, 09:34 PM
They would be in Pvp. But i think they would be in pvp/mounted on a vehicle or one of them type a weapons that after you use up all the ammo for it, you drop it