PDA

View Full Version : Nim Boss Fight Guide **SPOILERS**

NeoDraven
04-07-2013, 04:30 PM
This boss is a pain in all three stages when you fight him especially his decoy ability this is the current end game boss in San Fran so if you havn't gotten this far I would suggest stop reading..... okay now perk and weapon selection are critical as this is more surviving his barrage of attacks as all his decoys can attack you all 6 of them.

Perks:
Fortitude 3 (Gives you up to 400-500hp more to be a little meatier for this fight)
Regeneration 3 (This regenerates your health at the same speed your shield would regenerate at this is active in and out of combat)
Execution 3 (Regenerates 30% of your shield when you land a critical hit minor spread weapons such as shotguns and Pulser are good for this)
Cloak (Maxed Out) (Use this as an emergency instant shield regen when your cornered by his Decoys)
Cellular Armor 3 ( For Damage Reduction yes 6-9% may not seem much but its 6-9% of all his overall dmg to you reduced)

Weapon Selection:
VOT Pulser (Assault Rifle) for 20 hits/second regular Assault Rifles VBI/EMC/FRC and normal human ARs hit for slow hard hits when attacking a slow enemy the VOT Pulser hits at a speed where you will do an overall 2.5x dmg to any mob.

Example
VOT Assault Pulser - 40 DMG 20.5 Fire Rate, Clip 60, Reload Speed 2.3 Bloom 0.48

EMC Assault Rifle - 400 DMG 12.1 Fire Rate, Clip 35, Reload Speed 4.5 Bloom 0.14

For every Bullet that EMC AR hits the VOT Pulser will have hit the enemy 200 times with 3.5 reloads doing an average sustained dmg of 700-950 while the EMC will have hit with around 400-550 and with a lesser chance of landing critical weak points on a moving enemy.

The Boss Goes through Three Phases,

(** Added note: when he is blurred he will be invulnerable once he exits blurs spamm attack him from mid range))

1st Phase - No Cover will use Blur Primarily and do minor AoE Slames that will launch beams in 6 diagnal ways all around him put yourself in a way so he does not hit you, the second attack is his sword barrage which personally reminds me of Gilgamesh from Fate/Stays sword barrage on his enemies, his third attack is a charged dash attack at you which will take your shields down and knock you back stunning you, after downing first stage youll get a cutscene and a 2nd stage.

2nd Phase - Raised Platforms as Covers, He will use Decoy and Blur his Decoys are 3 in this form and can dmg you and spamm his special abilities after doing "x" amount of dmg he will poof and 12 decoys will appear on the balconies above you dps these till they poof and take cover as they shoot a sword each doing full shield + 50% hp dmg and a knockback to you, after you dps him down he will enter 3rd stage after another cutscene.

3rd Phase - Raised Platforms as Cover, He will now summon an Additional 3 more Decoys going up to 6 dps these till they dissapear use pillars and pylons as cover and avoid his AoE slams and Barrage attack after awhile he will teleport to the middle Pylon activate the terra-spire and the floor will launch orange spikes which take out 30% of your shields and knock you back, after awhile find an area before he teleport slams them to do a full room explosion this will kill you if you do not get to an area that is somewhat barren of his spires also keep moving incase you hear him revving up his spiral slam on the spires to kill you, (Cloaking does help make him attack a random location but more than likely he will slam your position) . He will continue to repeat this process and summon 6 Decoys to kill you remember all 6 can terra-slam and use the sword barrage hug a pillar in the room to avoid his sword barrage. Continue this until his health bar is empty and enjoy the end cutscene and the highest Fire Rate/Dmg Legendary VOT Pulse Pistol in the game so far -> Detu Ara (it is Nims personally pistol which is given to you as a quest reward).

Brian
04-07-2013, 04:38 PM
This boss is a pain in all three stages when you fight him especially his decoy ability this is the current end game boss in San Fran so if you havn't gotten this far I would suggest stop reading..... okay now perk and weapon selection are critical as this is more surviving his barrage of attacks as all his decoys can attack you all 6 of them.

Perks:
Fortitude 3 (Gives you up to 400-500hp more to be a little meatier for this fight)
Regeneration 3 (This regenerates your health at the same speed your shield would regenerate at this is active in and out of combat)
Execution 3 (Regenerates 30% of your shield when you land a critical hit minor spread weapons such as shotguns and Pulser are good for this)
Cloak (Maxed Out) (Use this as an emergency instant shield regen when your cornered by his Decoys)
Cellular Armor 3 ( For Damage Reduction yes 6-9% may not seem much but its 6-9% of all his overall dmg to you reduced)

Weapon Selection:
VOT Pulser (Assault Rifle) for 20 hits/second regular Assault Rifles VBI/EMC/FRC and normal human ARs hit for slow hard hits when attacking a slow enemy the VOT Pulser hits at a speed where you will do an overall 2.5x dmg to any mob.

Example
VOT Assault Pulser - 40 DMG 20.5 Fire Rate, Clip 60, Reload Speed 2.3 Bloom 0.48

EMC Assault Rifle - 400 DMG 12.1 Fire Rate, Clip 35, Reload Speed 4.5 Bloom 0.14

For every Bullet that EMC AR hits the VOT Pulser will have hit the enemy 200 times with 3.5 reloads doing an average sustained dmg of 700-950 while the EMC will have hit with around 400-550 and with a lesser chance of landing critical weak points on a moving enemy.

The Boss Goes through Three Phases,

1st Phase - No Cover will use Blur Primarily and do minor AoE Slames that will launch beams in 6 diagnal ways all around him put yourself in a way so he does not hit you, the secnd attack is his sword barrage which personally reminds me of Gilgamesh from Fate/Stays sword barrage on his enemies, after downing first stage youll get a cutscene and a 2nd stage.

2nd Phase - Raised Platforms as Covers, He will use Decoy and Blur his Decoys are 3 in this form and can dmg you and spamm his special abilities after doing "x" amount of dmg he will poof and 12 decoys will appear on the balconies above you dps these till they poof and take cover as they shoot a sword each doing full shield + 50% hp dmg and a knockback to you, after you dps him down he will enter 3rd stage after another cutscene.

3rd Phase - Raised Platforms as Cover, He will now summon an Additional 3 more Decoys going up to 6 dps these till they dissapear use pillars and pylons as cover and avoid his AoE slams and Barrage attack after awhile he will teleport to the middle Pylon activate the terra-spire and the floor will launch orange spikes which take out 30% of your shields and knock you back, after awhile find an area before he teleport slams them to do a full room explosion this will kill you if you do not get to an area that is somewhat barren of his spires also keep moving incase you hear him revving up his spiral slam on the spires to kill you, (Cloaking does help make him attack a random location but more than likely he will slam your position) . He will continue to repeat this process and summon 6 Decoys to kill you remember all 6 can terra-slam and use the sword barrage hug a pillar in the room to avoid his sword barrage. Continue this until his health bar is empty and enjoy the end cutscene and the highest Fire Rate/Dmg Legendary VOT Pulse Pistol in the game so far -> Detu Ara (it is Nims personally pistol which is given to you as a quest reward).Nice guide NeoDraven! I should've came here first after the first couple of deaths. I figured out his patterns after like seven tries; the pillars are your friend. I used a LMG: automatic, not recoil-friendly (need overcharge). 404 damage every .5 seconds. With overcharge it's 505 damage every 0.5 seconds (I actually counted).

I would recommend users to follow NeoDraven's guide; it's accurate and efficient.

NeoDraven
04-07-2013, 04:40 PM
I had a bit of a problem fighting him at first, but when you've played games similar to this, and gotten used you plot armored bosses who make you feel like your fighting a diety, it gets normal. But I saw allot of people having issues with this fight.

Brian
04-07-2013, 04:44 PM
I had a bit of a problem fighting him at first, but when you've played games similar to this like GoW3 on Legendary (any shot on you = death) and Dark Souls/Demon Souls you kinda get a vibe after it once you have the bosses patterns figured out it becomes a bit easier, the gun stats I posted are pre-modded guns so no stat modifications.Demon Souls . . . I grew about 7 white hairs with that game.

OT: I totally agree. Patterns are key to any RPG.

Thedjectivenoun
04-07-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm in Act 5 and at Ego 503 how do you grind exp just arkfalls cause I don't get good exp to warrant doing them besides just the 2 items at the last one.

NeoDraven
04-07-2013, 04:49 PM
I'm in Act 5 at at Ego 503 how do you grind exp just arkfalls cause I don't get good exp to warrant doing them besides just the 2 items at the last one.

I am a completionist, I killed all the side quests in Mount Tam/Madera 50% Done in San Fran and Marlin havnt touches Sanquitos.

Thedjectivenoun
04-07-2013, 04:54 PM
I am a completionist, I killed all the side quests in Mount Tam/Madera 50% Done in San Fran and Marlin havnt touches Sanquitos.
the side quests as in the ones that appear on the map as small triangles with ! or the ones that randomly pop up that say, rescue the survivors and disable the landmines.

NeoDraven
04-07-2013, 04:56 PM
the side quests as in the ones that appear on the map as small triangles with ! or the ones that randomly pop up that say, rescue the survivors and disable the landmines. ones with the ! that appear as pentagons, they will give you the bulk of your xp besides main story, doing random encounters/arkfalls do help same as doing pursuits and Co-Op missions. Now if only we could get someone to sticky this guide it would be awesome.

Nico
04-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Main Story line, sides mission then roadsides emergencies to get your exp. you cant go more than 30 to 40 seconds in a car and not roll up on one of these. Its all exp, so don't pass it kill it.

Jammylambo
04-10-2013, 05:14 AM
JUST DID THIS NOW , THANKS FOR THE GUIDE.

a cool tip for phase three is stick to the middle spire , just run round it , keep him on the opposite side to you and you block all his aoe slams.

Rhorge
04-10-2013, 05:27 AM
I have done this easily by shooting him in the face with the slug shotgun, gives a stable 800 damage per pop and stuns him really well. In the later stages I used a nice 0.3 fuse grenade when the multiple decoys spawn.

Jammylambo
04-10-2013, 05:49 AM
I have done this easily by shooting him in the face with the slug shotgun, gives a stable 800 damage per pop and stuns him really well. In the later stages I used a nice 0.3 fuse grenade when the multiple decoys spawn.

i got a 0.0 from arfalls , was very handy too lol

Rhorge
04-10-2013, 06:24 AM
i got a 0.0

You have no idea how much I envy you.

Jammylambo
04-10-2013, 06:29 AM
You have no idea how much I envy you.

to make matters worse i didnt even complete the arkfall , me and a buddy of mine tried, failed miserably so buggered off. about an hour later it just popped up. couldnt believe my luck :D

deltadeath93
04-12-2013, 07:09 AM
i have like 6 different purple shields what shields do you recomend fast recharge or capacity or reduced rate currently one im using is tachyon 3 1344 capacity 80% recharge and 9.6 second delay

guitar197169
04-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Thank you so much.

wrdixey
04-23-2013, 01:54 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned but some people mentioned they want him harder to beat.Which honestly he's not that bad. But the achievement nor the loot you get justify making him harder to beat. The loot is lame you should get a cool outfit, maybe a legendary weapon for all the hassle. But we can only imagine what Trion has in store for us down the road. Be careful what you ask for.LOL Trion might have a little payback for all the grief we've been giving. We all saw what happened at the end.

EV76
04-23-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm just glad I beat nim before server shutdown. I hated seen the 15 then 10 minute warning, then 5 after I beat him. Hoping cutscenes and saves would finish before server shutdown. It was nerve-racking lol!

Kreegan
04-23-2013, 03:11 PM
What I'm hearing you say is that I need to completely change my EGO skill and all my perks, plus develop skills in a completely different set of weapons.

Okay, if I'd known that before I even started this character, maybe I would have considered that [probably not], but this far into the game? No.

If this encounter/instance/boss was designed such that the only way to beat it is with a specific set of skills and weapons, then there is only one way to describe it:

Pure. Unadulterated. Crap.

Sorry if I've hurt the feelings of any fanboys out there, but I consider Nim to be an unbelievably poorly designed boss encounter. My main character is Cloak/sniper rifle/SMG and he doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell against Nim. I've wasted enough time in that instance to know it can't be done with that build.

So, I'm not going to waste any more time with it. Game over.

Shintalla
04-23-2013, 04:52 PM
I feel like I cheated by using a BMG, but it worked and kept me from dying repeatedly. Nim has some very annoying moves. I honestly thought the fight was over after the second phase.

wrdixey
04-23-2013, 06:51 PM
What I'm hearing you say is that I need to completely change my EGO skill and all my perks, plus develop skills in a completely different set of weapons.

Okay, if I'd known that before I even started this character, maybe I would have considered that [probably not], but this far into the game? No.

If this encounter/instance/boss was designed such that the only way to beat it is with a specific set of skills and weapons, then there is only one way to describe it:

Sorry if I've hurt the feelings of any fanboys out there, but I consider Nim to be an unbelievably poorly designed boss encounter. My main character is Cloak/sniper rifle/SMG and he doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell against Nim. I've wasted enough time in that instance to know it can't be done with that build.

I appreciate the honesty, but I believe he can be beat on that load out, check your perks. I would love to hear other people beating him beside the BMG. He's not that bad just need timing and patience. But all that being said, I believe your right and that to be fair you shouldn't have to change your playing style to beat any boss. I'm sure you're not the only one with this loadout. Goodluck let's us know.

Massive
04-24-2013, 12:35 AM
If I can't beat this guy within the next couple of days...........this game will be traded in. I almost had him done at the 2nd phase when the servers went out on me.

Another time Cooper decided to stand at the doorway entrance and not move, glitching the entire enterprise and forcing me to start the whole mission over.

Finally after 4 days I'm nearly out of scrip, so this really it for me. If I run out of money, I'm going to call it. Toughest and most frustrating boss I've ever played in my entire history of gaming. I look at how much time I've spent on this boss and I start feel weary of the whole Defiance experience.

I've NEVER quit on any game before, but this one might be my first. Hope I can crack this sucker before I run out of scrip and patience.

wrdixey
04-24-2013, 12:53 AM
If I can't beat this guy within the next couple of days...........this game will be traded in. I almost had him done at the 2nd phase when the servers went out on me.

Another time Cooper decided to stand at the doorway entrance and not move, glitching the entire enterprise and forcing me to start the whole mission over.

Finally after 4 days I'm nearly out of scrip, so this really it for me. If I run out of money, I'm going to call it. Toughest and most frustrating boss I've ever played in my entire history of gaming. I look at how much time I've spent on this boss and I start feel weary of the whole Defiance experience.

I've NEVER quit on any game before, but this one might be my first. Hope I can crack this sucker before I run out of scrip and patience.

Dude, don't give up, it's only gonna get better. If you can't beat him right now, go back later get your ego up to the get more perks. Do some Arkfalls or pvp to improve your skill set. There is plenty to do and money is everywhere. I don't know how you could run out.

Massive
04-24-2013, 01:38 AM
Dude, don't give up, it's only gonna get better. If you can't beat him right now, go back later get your ego up to the get more perks. Do some Arkfalls or pvp to improve your skill set. There is plenty to do and money is everywhere. I don't know how you could run out.

I've respec my character quite a few time in the process, so that's where most of my scrip has gone. Nim is really really cheap as big bosses go, he doesn't have to work very hard to put you down.

The game is fun but it's hardly worth the all the of the attention I've been giving to just one boss battle. I'll keep trying for another day or so, if I haven't done it by then I'll move on to something else.

Guttursnipe
04-24-2013, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the guide NeoDraven

I used 2 VBI TACC Auto-shotguns to finish this. For Ego power I had cloak (maxed out), and the following perks: fortitude (maxed), cellular armor (maxed), regeneration (maxed), infiltrator (maxed), and killing spree (maxed). I tried using a few different weapons before the shotguns, but could never get enough damage and died about 6 times before going to the them.

Renfield
04-24-2013, 09:24 AM

It's not the only way to beat the boss, just one persons suggestions on how to make it easier. I can honestly say that I did none of what the OP suggested and beat him after a couple of tries. For me the first stage was the hardest. Stages 2 & 3 have pillars that you can use for cover and recharge your shields. Stage 1 you just need to learn how to dodge his attacks, which are fairly predictable. Roll away, shoot him, rinse, repeat.

Make sure that you've got a fast recharging shield equipped. You can also equip a BMG as your back up weapon and use it to heal yourself/recharge your shields (using L1/alt fire) if the duck and cover method isn't working.

Tandor 64
04-25-2013, 05:54 AM
Yes, this by far is a hard boss battle. I tried him at 630 ego, just to have my a** handed to my, never got him below half health and died 5 times...Gave up, but last night I got him, lvl 831 ego, died once in the first phase with only a sliver of health left. He got me. So I went back in, I had a BMG (A MUST) and a combat shot gun, shoots exploding shells w/ 15 in the mag. I used overcharged for added damage, I tried cloak the first time, did work so well. I think the key is, dodge side to side, never straight back. Phase one is the hardest, the third is next hardest, In my mind, but the key is to heal then fight. While in the third he does a jump/ground pound that does ALOT of damage, you must time your jump so you're out the red damage zone (BIG KEY TO SURVIVAL). Hit him when you can but always heal!!!!