PDA

View Full Version : Defiance Livestream March 24, 2017

Calm like a Bomb
03-24-2017, 11:14 AM
Is this still on for today at the usual 2:30 est? 15 minutes from now.

clay marrow
03-24-2017, 11:37 AM
Guess they forgot?

luis_lem
03-24-2017, 12:03 PM
where do you get to see that?

luis_lem
03-24-2017, 12:19 PM
i got to see the end, on twicth. Don't have account there apparently... couldn't ask anything

Calm like a Bomb
03-24-2017, 12:20 PM
Thanks Calm - I would have forgotten all about it! :o:o:o

So glad I tuned in :D
Glad you were able to catch it...I never saw the thread in "what's new", found it in "news and announcements"

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?255785-Defiance-Livestream-11-30-AM-PDT-(6-30-PM-GMT)-March-24-2017

It should have been bumped to appear in "what's new" as a reminder, even though it was a sticky in "news and announcements." Not everyone goes through all the sub-forums, they check to see what's new,..but you know how that goes...it's frowned upon to do something for the good of the community.

Johnny Stranger
03-24-2017, 12:57 PM
I missed it, watched replay, again no good questions pulled....no surprise...

Bentu
03-24-2017, 08:30 PM
I was doing other things.

mitch00uk
03-25-2017, 02:45 AM
I was doing other things.

what!!!!! there are other things that are not defiance? shock horror

xSalemx
03-25-2017, 05:48 PM
Well, some of the more prominent & repeated Q's we already know the answer to ourselves, and some of those Q's have already answered themselves over the years.
For some, there is just some sort of satisfaction in forcing someone to say something, even when they already know the answer.
But yeah, if you already know the answer, probably more beneficial to save your breath & time for something more enjoyable to you. Not very pleasing from asking anyway only to be disappointed or frustrated afterwards.
Not to mention, if a question isn't answered or avoided, that kinda speaks for itself as an answer..
But can certainly complain about something enough to grab attention, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't & the more the merrier. Just depends.
As far as "original" new content or expansions. For the most part, it's basically been "mix&match" with what is already in-game with a few additives for a while now.. Example: Sol Destroyer's beam is the same as the Gulanee's beam attack.
If you think that's bad, look at how long Half-Life folks have been waiting around for Half-Life 3. Half-Life 2 was released in 2004.

Bentu
03-26-2017, 02:05 AM
what!!!!! there are other things that are not defiance? shock horror

Yes but still need to catch up on the forums daily though lol.

xSalemx
03-26-2017, 09:16 AM
These Q&A's always remind me of the Citi: "Wouldn't it be nice if everyone said what they meant" date commercials on YT. XD

Yes but still need to catch up on the forums daily though lol.
You're not missing much, same ol'
Enjoy the F4!

MataC
03-27-2017, 10:15 AM
If you think that's bad, look at how long Half-Life folks have been waiting around for Half-Life 3. Half-Life 2 was released in 2004.

This is a MMO, not a single player game.

We should have got tons of actual new content since the one shot season 4 and fixes of already existing content (which most of us already payed).
If not, we deserve an answer is this game planned to be developed or is it basically abandoned.

xSalemx
03-27-2017, 11:22 AM
If not, we deserve an answer is this game planned to be developed or is it basically abandoned.

I think this question already answers itself over the last year despite what has been or will be said as a sugar coated answer. Just look at the twitch channel.
I think the last thing they did was "Monterey Coast" back in June? Which then turned into "Crit Coast." Never got fixed, so I don't even count that one. Then there was the exchange, (which really isn't even an expansion, just a modification to the trade system) which got taken down.. Then it looks like a lot of people weren't too pleased with the shrill addition back in March. I hardly ever see anyone at shrill sieges, whether a monthly event is active or not. Even if they do bring something original to the table, looking at the most recent add-ons, it just has not gone over well.
It's been month-to-month arkfalls ever since & even these have had their problems. But it seems to work for them if they've been doing it this long & are looking to continue it after Armistice. I've played during the downtimes when there is a one week period between events & it is like a graveyard. Then an event starts and it floods again. Even though a lot of it is recycling with each event, you still see them using the word "new" like on the recently posted event patch notes, Event Horizon (Changing the fire rate on a Wolfhound doesn't qualify it as "new" it's still a Wolfhound ..derpity derp). People were complaining about not getting new content often enough, this is the "new" content for the most part, on a monthly basis. Probably a lot easier to do as well and still make money off it after with what happened with MC, Exchange, & Shrill. Can't please everyone or every opinion.
As far as them saying "hey, we're abandoning the game." If they were, it would come out more like, "We don't have anything planned currently, but that doesn't mean future content is off the table." They're not gonna shoot themselves in the foot.

But if you're looking anyway, since they do it on a yearly basis with each season, my best bet would be sometime around oh say.. June-ish? Around whatever time the kiddies get off for summer break. But I wouldn't be expecting any news on it right now. They are focused on selling you Armistice & Event Horizon hot cakes right after that. They'll probably have another event after EH as well since they were using the name "Death & Taxes" earlier but changed that (There were JP names they had showed on livestream suggested from the community that have not been put in the game yet, but they said would be in the future). Maybe they already have another event in mind after EH. But they might switch it around now since all this might look negative on them in a way? So you could hear something as early as May, but if you don't hear anything about it after June ends, well.. I wouldn't hold my breath mate. After all that event jazz, they'll probably focus more on selling you whatever season 5 is going to be. Not to mention, making monthly events is probably a bit time consuming as well as having to go back on it and patch it a few times or more. They could probably use more staff on Defiance to begin with, but I suppose that responsibility lies on the higher-ups. Even if you got one 1337 Dev in the mix, he can't do all the work on his own, need a big team where most of them can both pull their own weight & help the ones who need it from time to time to adapt. After reading employee reviews, it's obvious that communication is a big problem too. Personally, I feel they could touch up more as a whole on stuff already in the game that doesn't get a lot of love such as sieges, incursions, PVP, etc. Make them more appealing for all or add a few things here and there to them. So when new players come to the game, they're not doing them by themselves as well as drawing higher ego's interest who don't bother with them anymore. Rather than just adding the next loot-chase making everything else outdated & other in-game activities less desired. But then that could be a bad idea as well and might make those activities worse. It's just a sticky situation.

Well, COD isn't a MMO & they were releasing DLCs like every 3 months (prob faster than some MMOs). There are lots of SP games that released DLC pretty quickly as well. Sequels too.
Doesn't matter what the game is even if it's a MMO, just depends on who is running it.
But all I was saying there about HL was if you think almost 4 years is bad, try almost 13, lol. :P

MataC
03-28-2017, 02:45 AM
xSalemx, we all already know everything you wrote.
I know we won't get a concrete answer, if any, I said we deserve it, that is, we SHOULD get it.

Off course it matters if a game is SP or MMO, saying that's mixing apples and oranges is an understatement.
So what if COD has many DLC-s or sequels? It DOESN'T have to have them. And sequel isn't the same as DLC/expansion.
SP games have basically unlimited life span and, once made, are basically independent of the company that made them. With MMO-s, it's the other way around.
HL, and all other SP games, are simply irrelevant to this discussion.
MMORPG HAS to have constant expansions by it's very nature.
Sorry, mate, but this is basic category fallacy.

xSalemx
03-28-2017, 09:09 AM
xSalemx, we all already know everything you wrote.

Well my friend, can't speak for everyone. Someone has to say it.

I know we won't get a concrete answer, if any, I said we deserve it, that is, we SHOULD get it.

I never disagreed with this. But then, it's not like we are entitled to it either. Don't have to pay a subscription fee anymore on this game since it went F2P nor is anyone making us play this game, it's a personal choice of an individual as a form of entertainment. There are other choices as well to select from, Defiance isn't the only game I play. I was merely exploring the reasons why what you stated above, doesn't happen. Sorry if I misunderstood your original quote on the matter though as it came off more as a demand than an outlook. The rephrased quote above is much clearer.

Off course it matters if a game is SP or MMO, saying that's mixing apples and oranges is an understatement.

Apples, oranges.. all delicious, tasty fruit to me. Om-nom-nom! :D
On a side note, I like to mix oranges with apples & other things when making a yummy breakfast smoothie. Blends together well.

So what if COD has many DLC-s or sequels? It DOESN'T have to have them. And sequel isn't the same as DLC/expansion.
SP games have basically unlimited life span and, once made, are basically independent of the company that made them. With MMO-s, it's the other way around.
HL, and all other SP games, are simply irrelevant to this discussion.
MMORPG HAS to have constant expansions by it's very nature.
Sorry, mate, but this is basic category fallacy.

I agree on this being an irrelevant topic & that even this particular subject is starting to veer off-ship. Not even sure why talking about this. It's a debate on game genres.. I feel like something got taken way out of context, like you're talking about one thing & I was talking about something else.
But I think you are confusing DLCs or expansions with belonging only to MMOs like a prerogative & as some sort of entitlement?
Just because a game is categorized as a MMO does not require it to have DLC or expansions. Only that it be massively multiplayer and that it be online (hence the name MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online). MMOs essentially branched off of SP games, the fact that they are massively multiplayer online is what makes them MMO. Strip that feature off & it's a SP game again. And you are exactly correct-a-mundo! That's the point in hand, non-MMO games are ALSO not required to have DLC or expansions, yet a lot of them do it anyway! Not to mention a lot SP games get frequent patches as well, just had to download one for Minecraft on Xbox the other day.. so it's not like all SP games are independent of the company. Game development can be on either side of the fence.
Add-ons have been around a lot longer than MMOs, just saying. Whether or not they want to have them, that depends on the company that owns the rights to it.

Apologies though if I misunderstood you. Hope this clears it up! :)

MataC
03-31-2017, 09:44 AM
I wasn't sure if I should reply, but it bugs me a bit when someone is a bit pretentious and/or condescending, no offense please.

Apples, oranges.. all delicious, tasty fruit to me. Om-nom-nom! :D
On a side note, I like to mix oranges with apples & other things when making a yummy breakfast smoothie. Blends together wellSomething a bit like this.

And I don't need a lesson in definition of MMO games and their history, or a semantics play.

But I think you are confusing DLCs or expansions with belonging only to MMOs like a prerogative & as some sort of entitlement?
I'm not confusing anything; you can own and play HL 2 for the rest of you life without the company that made it or any kind of servers, expansions/ DLC's or patches.
Games like Defiance depend on the company that made it and the servers on which it is ran.

So the main reason I'm replying is because I care about the game and want it to last, but without any actual new content/expansions, I don't see it's future.
This kind of game absolutely requires expansions and I'm not sure why are we even talking about this.