PDA

View Full Version : n0ob questions ....

Japes Jasper
04-05-2017, 10:12 PM
So .. been playing just over a week (ps3) .. getting the hang of the game, ya know, dealing with server loss, disappearing purple dots, invisible HUD ... it's all good, it's a quick restart and I don't seem to lose anything, so the overall frustration level is minimal.

Few questions I have are as follows :

Is there a better place than this to post silly questions about the game, from someone who is just bullheading their way through it? a newbie forum or something?

I have found that the game itself is easy to go guns blazing .. but silly things, like "what the hell is that symbol next to my health bar mean? or, should i breakdown everything i don't actively use? The game itself seems very enigmatic in explanation about the overall HUD symbols and whatnot ...

I have no keyboard (ps3) or mic, but watch chat, as I have in every game I have played ...

Is there some index of acronyms and slang I can read up on .. I figure out a lot with basic logic but ... t4, t5, etc ... what does it mean basil ...?

Basically, I just don't want to be posting a ton of ********e questions here, if there is somewhere i can just look up the info ...

Enjoying the game thus far, but figuring it out at the same time ... and trying to answer questions from my 10 and 5 year old boys who play with me ... and if I don't know the answers to everything, I'm gonna blow my cover as the most knowledgeable man in the universe to them ... (shhh don't tell em I'm asking ...)

And last but not least,

If I spend my time, say on an arkfall, just healing/resing folk and greasing the gears as it were, rather than blasting the bad guys, will I still gain xp etc, and be able to progress my character, at at least a semi comparable rate?

Ok, thats old man noob questions round one ... answer or ignore, I'm used to either ;-)

Thanks.

Japes Jasper
<Order of the Crow>

Dshort
04-05-2017, 10:40 PM
T4 and so on refers to the weapon, mod, shield, chip and cyber rig tiers
T3- blues
T4- purple/epic
T5- orange/oj/legendary
T6- yellow/supreme
As for your other question you can continue to progress your character through xp just healing and resign folks but after you reach lvl 20 on your bmg skills it will slow down considerably.
There are a bunch of pursuits that require kills with various weapon types and you gain ego by leveling those weapon skills also so you can gain ground faster by switching things up.

Arran
04-05-2017, 10:48 PM
Press start. Hold left trigger and go to goals. Then press right bumper to view all your pursuits. There's alot of easy ego points to be gained here. Defiance data is another website you may wish to check out. Alot of good info there tho maybe slightly outdated on some of the newer synergy that have been added latley.

Bentu
04-05-2017, 10:51 PM
Welcome to Defiance.

This isn't the only place you can get information but if you want a relatively quick answer to a question this is the place to ask it.

Others are reddit, Defiance Data and there's even a wiki.

The slang you'll get a hang of but the t4 t5 t6 stuff refers to the rarity of the item.

T4 purple epic
T5 orange legendary
T6 gold supreme

If you look at the top of the page where you posted this thread you'll see a few sticky threads that have loads of information about the game.

Also don't be afraid to ask anything we were all new once.

Edit. One last thing, you'll always be super man to your boys.

Japes Jasper
04-06-2017, 10:28 AM
Thanks fer the replies.

I assumed the T... was weapon tiers, but wanted to confirm. Good to know I can still gain a little healing, I'm up to about 1200 EGO right now, and my sons are at 500 and 300 or so, been trying to get them into the mess, and focus more on healing them at the moment.

Overall, really enjoying the game ... it includes all the things i enjoy : mass carnage, vehicles to blaze around an open world, the exploration, story upon story and history, and a seemingly endless possibility of weapons, loadouts, modifications and possible play styles.

Really looking forward to more adventures.

Was sad when the show ended ... wished I had delved into the game before then, and not waited til now, but as Bokonon says "As it was meant to happen"

mitch00uk
04-06-2017, 10:39 AM
So .. been playing just over a week (ps3) .. getting the hang of the game, ya know, dealing with server loss, disappearing purple dots, invisible HUD ... it's all good, it's a quick restart and I don't seem to lose anything, so the overall frustration level is minimal.

Few questions I have are as follows :

Is there a better place than this to post silly questions about the game, from someone who is just bullheading their way through it? a newbie forum or something?

I have found that the game itself is easy to go guns blazing .. but silly things, like "what the hell is that symbol next to my health bar mean? or, should i breakdown everything i don't actively use? The game itself seems very enigmatic in explanation about the overall HUD symbols and whatnot ...

I have no keyboard (ps3) or mic, but watch chat, as I have in every game I have played ...

Is there some index of acronyms and slang I can read up on .. I figure out a lot with basic logic but ... t4, t5, etc ... what does it mean basil ...?

Basically, I just don't want to be posting a ton of ********e questions here, if there is somewhere i can just look up the info ...

Enjoying the game thus far, but figuring it out at the same time ... and trying to answer questions from my 10 and 5 year old boys who play with me ... and if I don't know the answers to everything, I'm gonna blow my cover as the most knowledgeable man in the universe to them ... (shhh don't tell em I'm asking ...)

And last but not least,

If I spend my time, say on an arkfall, just healing/resing folk and greasing the gears as it were, rather than blasting the bad guys, will I still gain xp etc, and be able to progress my character, at at least a semi comparable rate?

Ok, thats old man noob questions round one ... answer or ignore, I'm used to either ;-)

Thanks.

Japes Jasper
<Order of the Crow>

-----------
u can chat via controller. Some people are very impressive with it ( not me) <u prob knew that but just in case

What server do u play on. i play om ps3-eu

Bentu
04-06-2017, 11:37 AM
Thanks fer the replies.

I assumed the T... was weapon tiers, but wanted to confirm. Good to know I can still gain a little healing, I'm up to about 1200 EGO right now, and my sons are at 500 and 300 or so, been trying to get them into the mess, and focus more on healing them at the moment.

Overall, really enjoying the game ... it includes all the things i enjoy : mass carnage, vehicles to blaze around an open world, the exploration, story upon story and history, and a seemingly endless possibility of weapons, loadouts, modifications and possible play styles.

Really looking forward to more adventures.

Was sad when the show ended ... wished I had delved into the game before then, and not waited til now, but as Bokonon says "As it was meant to happen"

There's a profanity filter in the game if you're worried about your son's reading anything bad in chat which also works with the dialogue in the cut scenes as Cass can get a bit verbal for young ears.

Japes Jasper
04-06-2017, 07:51 PM
There's a profanity filter in the game if you're worried about your son's reading anything bad in chat which also works with the dialogue in the cut scenes as Cass can get a bit verbal for young ears.

Def. jumped on this after I started the game when they were in bed ... they started the next day filtered out ;-) Granted .. they hear worse when a dog decides to use the bathroom for a bathroom ... heh ... but I do what I can

I play on the NA server on PS3, I figured I'd have the best connection seeing as I'm here ... If I jumped over to the EU server to check out connection and whatnot, I assume my character is the same ... or would I need to create a new one?

Japes Jasper
04-06-2017, 07:55 PM
Def. jumped on this after I started the game when they were in bed ... they started the next day filtered out ;-) Granted .. they hear worse when a dog decides to use the bathroom for a bathroom ... heh ... but I do what I can

I play on the NA server on PS3, I figured I'd have the best connection seeing as I'm here ... If I jumped over to the EU server to check out connection and whatnot, I assume my character is the same ... or would I need to create a new one?

Been a few years since I was active on a game forum (UO anyone?) ... seems I just answered multiple posts from a couple of you in the same post ... heh ... gotta get my oil out and get the creaks out of this tin suit ...

Johnny Gatt
04-06-2017, 08:15 PM
Welcome to Defiance.
Play around with as many guns as you can. Most noobs are lemmings and think there are only two guns in game, so you will see 99% of them running around with a blast rifle and mass cannon. Other weapons are just as good and if used right are even better.
As you level up your character, do not get too obsessed with aquiring too many legendary or jp weapons. AR forge needed to maintain them is hard to come by. Good blues and purples will get you by until you hit ego 5000.

Japes Jasper
04-06-2017, 10:20 PM
Welcome to Defiance.
Play around with as many guns as you can. Most noobs are lemmings and think there are only two guns in game, so you will see 99% of them running around with a blast rifle and mass cannon. Other weapons are just as good and if used right are even better.
As you level up your character, do not get too obsessed with aquiring too many legendary or jp weapons. AR forge needed to maintain them is hard to come by. Good blues and purples will get you by until you hit ego 5000.

You Sir, are spot on to my thinking ... I started off frantic trying to get the biggest and baddest of weapons ... and slowly realized .. i enjoyed the hell out of my bombardier and sniper rifle ... just good times to be had with them. I think that may be why this game has intrigued me so ... it's all playstyle and tactics, not so much the weapon that does it .. very refreshing in a game to say the least.

That and I can drive a dune buggy up a cliffside, jump 50 feet in the air, into a major arkfall, jump out, and live or die, go in guns blazing ... man that's fun ;-)

And thank ye for the welcome. I have to say, thus far, best bunch of gamers I have come across in some time.

Japes Jasper
04-06-2017, 10:46 PM
Last thing, for now, and I will let this thread die ....

I have searched high and low .. or at least in the middle .. checked the guide links above (holy shyte alot of reading .. it's good though), and cannot grasp, what is a cyber rig? do i need one? how do i get one? What is a cyber rig?

Bentu
04-06-2017, 10:57 PM
A cyber rig is something like a gadget that augment your abilities.

There's so many different little chip that can go in it that can increase your fire rate or make you slightly resistant to bio attacks.

You'll see all the different types of chips that go into the rigs at alkatraz.

Now to get one you will either have to do expedition or buy one from the bits store or the vendor.

mitch00uk
04-07-2017, 02:15 AM
Last thing, for now, and I will let this thread die ....

I have searched high and low .. or at least in the middle .. checked the guide links above (holy shyte alot of reading .. it's good though), and cannot grasp, what is a cyber rig? do i need one? how do i get one? What is a cyber rig?

---------
So much info all at once .....took me a while to sort of understand what a cyber rig was and is. As Bentu says an expo or bit-store is the only way to get one . Expo cost hunter relics (you get so many free a week not much- If you are going to spend money the patron pass is prob the best option ( read up on it) It the cheapest and best way to get jackpot weapons as you get a thing called a karma roll on every event arkfall which changes monthly its event horizon atm. by doing any number between 1-100 you get a jackpot gun ( other wise without a patron pass you could do 1000 and get nothing)

But for now enjoy the game, get you ego skill up. All the best

I