PDA

View Full Version : Remedial Driving Help

Stoneshade
06-01-2017, 07:21 PM
I've read the sticky driving guide. I've watched the videos. I bought an x-box game controller to use instead of my mouse.

And I still fail.

I think my problem is the control of the buggy - it is all wobbly and giggly. I read the guide on how to know when to boost and when not to, but it still wobbles and I can't turn smoothly. The youtube videos make the vehicle look very in control and centered.

I did figure out to change the camera angle, so that I am directly behind the vehicle and turned the sensitivity as low as it would go - which helped a little. But eventually the camera goes off-center and I loose control.

any other hints? Practicing over and over isn't getting me anywhere.

binky
06-01-2017, 07:34 PM
What level are you at whatever you're trying to drive?
As you level up = the game lets you get better at going where you aim, though it still likes to put you in the ditches and treetops.

Stoneshade
06-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Just trying to do the Coastline Course time trial. My buggy is level 20

Sevrin
06-01-2017, 09:19 PM
I appreciate that you are attempting to do these. They can be a real pain and many just skip them these days. I am not aware of any real "secrets" to help, sorry. Just get to know the course and remember they can be beat without accelerating through the entire course. I also found it helpful to put the boost button on my mouse for these time trials but that may not be useful for all. Then just keep trying. I do know -- given that you can now reach the ego cap through XP -- that if I had to do them over, I wouldn't waste my time on them. Cause, honestly what I want to do in a shooter is shoot not drive around on some screwyass buggy. :cool:

doctordabs
06-02-2017, 05:36 AM
Here's one i wrote a while back --
the main tut os here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/TabbyClan/discussions/0/405690850605463378/

Tutorial: How to Gold your Races -
*Disclaimer - This is not an official tutorial and is strictly for your reading and consideration. It's not definitive ...there's always more thn 1 way to skin a cat.. feel free to pm me any corrections or edits..

Preface: I am absolutely horrible at racing games.. and this method had me gold them all in a few tries.

Step one - Relax. Get up from your desk and strech - chances are you aren't fresh and you've been playing a while.. freshen up.

Step 2 - Dumb those graphics down to the bare minimum.... go into graphics settings, lower your resolution to the lowest you can stomach.....and quality settings. turn motion blur off, shadows off, and turn bloom off.. turn proxy all the way up.

This is going to allow your pc to process the loose dynamic aspects of the game much smoother so you aren't hitting invisible arkfall debris, etc... you can change thee settings later but i find they keep me running at 1000 fps even at full speed.

Ps3 and Xbox'ers you can do this too for the most part, but the graphics options are kinda bunk.

Some people find 'em easy.. some don't. Here's *MY* tut on how I got golds.

This isn't an end-all-be-all guide, rather a loose mindset you want to have when racing.

ON TO THE GUIDE!!!!
You need to watch for rings 3 different ways.

1) the ring in front of you has a boost refill diamond floating in it.
2) the ring in front of you does not have a diamond floating in it.
3) the ring after that.. where is it (straight ahead, left or right)

What am I talking about? Predictive turning and boosting.

When you start the race, you find yourself usually staring at the first gold ring and it almost always has a diamond boost refill in it. The devs are telling you something here. Why would the devs give you a boost refill if they didn't want you to use it? AND why would they NOT put one in the ring if you should be boosting....

So first thought... i'm holding boost when i go thru a ring that has a boost refill.
Second: I'm NOT touching boost if i'm going thru a ring without a boost refill.
here comes the tricky part.....

Now that you know "ok so i'f my next ring has boost, be boosting until i see a ring that doesn't have it and i'll need to slow down or let my hand off the boost button" or else you're going to be going too fast to make the next turn - the devs didn't give you a boost refill because you're not supposed to be boosting here.

Turning.. or PRE-turning.... This refers to the third ring i mentioned above.

Example:
I'm starting the race. I see the ring directly in front of me has a boost ring. I'm at full speed and i also see the ring right after the one in front of me is far off to the right. I'm going to start holding boost before i pass ring1 and start holding my turning button as soon as i pass ring1 - HAVE FAITH HERE!!!!! They designed the turns to be taken at this speed.. just keep holding the turn button and be watching for the boost diamonds in the upcoming rings.. no diamond, no boost....

Get off the stupid bike. No.. seriously... More often than not you will find yourself wasting more time trying to get back on the track after a failed turn than it takes to simply hop off the bike and respawn the thing right away... 5 seconds correction time or 2 seconds respawn time.. your choice.

Lets tie this all together..

Race begin

Ring 1 has a boost diamond. (start boosting before you touch the ring.. keep boosting cuz ring2!)
Ring 2 has a boost diamond. (Still boosting here.. but wait.. ring 3.. i better let go of boost now)
Ring 3 has no boost diamond. (i just passed thru ring 3 and i wasn't boosting.. phew that was a smooth turn.. but i should keep holding my turn button cuz up ahead i see ring 4....)
Ring 4 is up on the right, no diamond.

Onyxia
06-02-2017, 06:34 AM
Nice work Dabs! ^

In my case, I just had to learn that faster isn't necessarily better. Staying topped out on speed and using boosts whenever I could just made it increasingly difficult to keep control of the vehicle. Best of luck to you!! :)

Jimmie Mac
06-02-2017, 06:59 AM
The best advice I can give you is to use/drive a runner as your everyday vehicle in the game. I believe the TMW Hannibal is the same as the runner used in the time trials. Doing this will get you accustomed to how it handles (which as you've noticed is very different than Rollers).

Tashinka
06-02-2017, 09:43 AM
I hate the races also (more than anything else); my advice would be to do the same race until you achieve gold, then you become very familiar with the course (know when to brake, boost, etc.)
also Jimmie Mac's idea about driving the quad around all the time is a good one, as you become used to the vehicle

stefb42
06-02-2017, 11:10 AM
Also when trying, never restart a race, always see it through to it's end, with the pressure of getting gold no longer on you, you can drive a bit more daring and will almost definitely find places you can shave time off that you didn't think possible whilst being cautious, plus each fail you will learn the course more, plus these trials are actually very forgiving with their gold times believe it or not, there is time for errors and still getting gold

About to overshoot a ring or corner? Bail off your buggy and spawn another, quicker than trying to double back

Ran into a monarch or fell down side of the road or stuck on an obstacle right before the finish line? Doesn't matter how you cross the line as long as you cross it so run

Other thing that worked for me is turn early but never put steering lock on, tap the stick continuously way u want to turn, don't be afraid to slow down for tricky bits, look for pillars of light when going over jumps and point buggy towards them while in the air

This one's debatable but people say don't boost in the air because it's a waste of time as you don't go any faster but I feel boosting in the air on the big jumps puts the roller back on the ground quicker giving control back quicker, other disagree so best to see what you feel

Fwiw I've did these on Xbox 360, twice with high level toons and once with a brand new toon fresh over the wall

xSalemx
06-02-2017, 03:39 PM
Do the races a few times over to familiarize yourself with where the rings are going to be and the layout of the race. It's basic memorization and you'll be able to react faster and know when and when not to use boost to shave off time. Obviously focus on the same race until you get gold. If you're not getting it after 10 attempts, take a break and do something else and come back to it later. You won't do any better if you are frustrated.

Don't use boost on turns, it's really not necessary. I mainly only hold it down while drive straight thru or off ramps. You can tap the boost on a turn, but I wouldn't recommend holding it down. After you complete the turn feel free to hold it down though to pick speed back up. Like Onxyia stated, faster isn't necessarily better. Just maintain a good constant speed throughout the race with some boosting here and there and you'll be fine. You don't have to boost all the way thru the race. Focus more on efficiency (not wrecking or having to stop or back up) than maxing speed.

After practicing the race a few times and getting familiar with it, pay attention to what the time goal is for gold and to the time on the clock for each lap. For example, if the time needed for a 2/2 lap race is less than 2:00, and you completed the first lap with 1:15 on the clock, you might as well restart right there because you are not going to finish the next lap before 2:00 are up. Figure out where you went wrong and what you need to improve on to make the minimum required time or better for each lap.

I used quads on every race except for the two you have to use a Cerberus (which sucked, but it's possible to get gold on them.)

Stoneshade
06-02-2017, 10:17 PM
Thanks to all for trying to help. I am at 5861 ego and not able to carry on. I am out and done with this game. good gaming to all, I've had enough.