PDA

View Full Version : MMO Style Impressions thus far

Night Hawke
09-20-2012, 07:13 PM
I was talking to some friends of mine about defiance at work today, and an interesting topic came up. They were asking me what kind of mmo it was going to be? At first i was like its a third-person shooter but that isn't what they meant.

What they where trying to get at was will defiance be a Linear themepark style mmo or will it be more sand-boxy?

To this i really didn't have an answer All of the video's show people just randomly tooling around on their quads until the came across some event to do (very sandbox) but they also talked a lot about the story and how it is really intertwined with the syfy show (could be very themepark).

So it seems to be a bit of both, imo. What do you all think? Themepark, sandbox or someplace in the middle?

Kymer
09-20-2012, 10:13 PM
No idea, not enough info out yet to tell.

Maybe it will be a Themebox or Sandpark!!

worldwarviolin
09-21-2012, 01:53 AM
i wish i lived near a sandpark where they have sand ride's and sand slide fun besides sand burn and sand in your clothes

fido9dido
09-21-2012, 08:55 PM
i think this is sandbox style

Gibson Khaine
09-24-2012, 07:08 AM
Im thoroughly under the impression this is more of a sand box within a theme park.
As the game is set in 'San Fransisco' Id imagine the area of the game will largely consist of that area of the world with constraints to stop you from leaving the area.
Though that is a pretty large area when you think about it. The state of California is larger than most MMO's and has the potential to safely support thousands of players.

That said there is probably areas open for player development. A Key aspect they are pushing is 'the players affect the game/show. ANd that alone suggest we can change it.
I know one of my greatest experiences in an MMO (Horizons which its development pretty much grounded to a halt after chapter 7) was where the player base consisting of combatants and crafters, moved into an area dominated by the PVE npc protaganists. The Combatants fought back and defended the crafters as they began building (using harvested materials) to repair in game constructions that would stop the spawning of the npc protagonists. Its was a community wide endeavour that required multiple groups in different areas. When the repairs were done the world changed in that area freeing it and enableing players to thyen inhabit and rebuild the entire city. I would love this sort of dynamic within Defiance too. I think community is a strong driving force in the show and should be in the game.