PDA

View Full Version : Getting to Know the Community!

Turrant
06-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Since there is not currently a thread where we talk about ourselves other than saying "Hi" or "Hello" so I thought I would start one and introduce myself.

What you can include:

Personal Background if you are so inclined
Favorite game
what do you play now
What are your experiences in MMOs or shooters
What dragged you to this game
What you want to see implemented or fleshed out
Potential fears or downfalls of develpment for this game
I feel like I am missing something....So feel free to add more!

Hello Everyone, my favorite user name that I go by is Turrant (so don't take it...even if I have a full page of names I like to use for alts). I am currently a sophomore in High School in the United States. New York to be more percise. I will be taking final exams during the next two weeks before school is out and plan on pursuing the International Baccalaureate Diploma as well. I will most likely take a carrer in something math and sciency( :o ) as that is what I enjoy a lot. I really don't know what to do, I have enjoyed my chemistry course a fair bit this year and also read theoretical physics books in my spair time while I am waiting for the last book of the Wheel of Time series to come out. I refuse to read anything else non-acedemic related until then! :p

I do not really like it when people stereotype my age group even though I understand why as I can not tolerate the maturity level among many of them myself. I also really like the quote in my sig because I am not very tech savvy at all so having to operate machinery or do technical stuff on my computer scares me some.

I am in a way a forum lurker, I do not make very many posts at all in comparision to the amount of time I may spend reading a lot of threads. Though I can and do type a lot when I do post! My favorite game would be Okami because the story in the game is very compelling, the gameplay is unique and the art style is enjoyable. Currently I am playing Rift as my main game and have been enjoying it a lot and have been very pleased with Trion as a company thus far.

I started playing videogames since I was fairly young and RTS games were the first I found myself getting into a lot. They had been my favorite kind of game until Starcraft 2 came out of which I felt something was missing from the game and got burnout. Although End of Nations has captured my intrest, I found out that I am still a little burned out on the genere. Another year or two and it should feel fresh again. That was how I found myself enjoying MMOs, my father had beta tested Rift and I have been playing it since. When I was younger I never really got into WoW, in the few months I did play I was a altoholic and never got a character past level 40 before I deleted them and started over. As far as shooter games go the only onesI have played were Rachet and Clank games and Starcraft Battlefront 1 and 2.

I got into Defiance January this year and am looking forward to seeing it develop even if I do not end up playing the game all to much I will most likely watch the show. Although there is someone in my guild on Rift (Ultimt) who is very much interested in this game. I believe that this game has a lot of potential and am looking forward to seeing Trion and SyFy pull it off. Things I would like to see very well polished before the game launches even though it is probably a little early for that, a clean looking UI with full customization. A complete chat system functinalitly in game. Ability to build what your character does sort of like a profession in some way (must for me) and define him/her and the characters story (would rate this a nice thing but not absolutly necesary). Fears about this game that I have, it not being ready when it is supposed to launch sometime near when the show begins. Not being popular enough to support the television aspect later down the line. Not stepping outside the box enough. I think that is all I have so far, again it is a little early to be specific about the last two personaly.

Your Turn!

Escyos
06-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Personal Background if you are so inclined

Well I am Australian, I'm currently at ANU studying Archaeology, something I have wanted to do since I was five years old. I LOVE Stargate (I have my own Stargate Wiki (http://stargate-wiki.org/wiki/Stargate_Wiki)) as well as numerous other wikis (I'm addicted to wikis!)

Favorite game

Umm its a tie between some of the Tomb Raiders and Age of Empires 2.

what do you play now

Right now I'm playing Tomb Raider Revelations and Command and Conquer on my computer. But soon I'll be going home for holidays and can play my PS2.

What are your experiences in MMOs or shooters

Very little. I've played a few text based online games for a short time and I played the Mummy Online for a bit.

What dragged you to this game

The TV show. Scifi is mostly gone these days and the show sucked me in and by association so did the game.

I've learned to not expect things too much, mostly in things that aren't real.

Syfy loves to destroy fanbases by cancelling shows because they don't want to expand their ratings system, so I hope that the show does not fail as this would affect the game.

Quizzical Harpy
06-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Names I go by : Thoroar, Quizzical_Harpy, MrTekiko and tomasu_riisu
I play Rift as my main game I played wow for a bit really enjoyed it but it was very expensive is get all the X packs. I've play video games since I was 7 or so, I've had gameboy colour then advance, playstation 2 wii, DS and now I'm a PC gamer.

In real life I'm going into my 3 year of highschool and studying Computer science, art, chemistry, physics and modern studies.

I have to agree I hate it when people think that anyone under 18 is some silly child, I'm mature for my age as many have told me and I need remind people of that sometimes. I also hate being patronised.

Quizzical Harpy
06-05-2012, 05:41 PM
I loved Age of Empires! Did you ever play Age of Mythology?

Escyos
06-05-2012, 05:42 PM
I loved Age of Empires! Did you ever play Age of Mythology?

Yes. It was quite good, but i prefer the world builder in AoE2 over the one in AoM.

Turrant
06-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Heh, I thought I reconized your avatar Quizzical Harpy. You used the forum name Thoroar on the Rift forums and use the same avatar. :)

Adsinonimous
06-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Heh, I thought I reconized your avatar Quizzical Harpy. You used the forum name Thoroar on the Rift forums and use the same avatar. :)

Small World, it seems. haha :)

Dukeraver
06-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Personal Background if you are so inclined - Australian, studying Diploma of Interactive Design. 22 years old, male and bit of an addict to TV shows, movies, anime and games.

Favorite game - Not sure, but RIFT is up there.

What do you play now - Diablo 3, OSU. Recent quit RIFT due to the feel of grind.

What are your experiences in MMOs or shooters - I believe I'm decently experienced. I've played a few MMO's, mainly WoW and RIFT. For FPS games I've played Wolfenstein, CoD2 to CoD5, CSS, Killing Floor and more.

What dragged you to this game - The combination of Sci-fi show and MMO mainly, but what made me stick around for the MMO was the FPS side.

What you want to see implemented or fleshed out - Good and easy to use AH system (shortcuts please) Fun yet challenging AI.

Potential fears or downfalls of development for this game/tv series -
Lag/Connection issues.
Breaking my PC.
No Aussie server.
Bad gameplay.
TV show cancellation.

Quizzical Harpy
06-06-2012, 12:15 AM

Oh cool! I am an avid poster!
Do you post much there? Sorry if I don't recognise you :s

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 03:02 AM
Hello!

My name is Andy but I also go by Ads and ,of course, Adsinonimous. I live in England, in the United Kingdom, and I have always lived here. My Hobbies include Playing Guitar, Drawing, Gaming, Singing, Drinking Tea and eating Jaffa Cakes! Om nom nom

I don't really have a favourite game as there is so many games out there nowadays! - I don't even think I could try and pick a few!

As for now, I play whatever games are lying around my Xbox when I get there. It's mostly games that my friends play, such as FIFA, Call of Duty and Portal 2. But my friends also love RPG so I'm hoping I can convince them to try MMOs out!

My experience in MMOs started a few years back when I played Everquest. After Everquest I decided to play WoW and I played WoW for about 3 or 4 years. But after that I decided to only go to the F2P market and I now I have played well over 100 different MMOs. Some which I fell in love with, others I could not stand! As for Shooters, I have played Competitive Call of Duty since Call of Duty 2 and I have recently been unable to play competitively due to problems with the new Call of Duty but it is giving me a chance to play games that give me an incredible nostalgic feeling such as Croc: Legend of the Gobbos on Playstation 1!

Why do I want to play Defiance?

I prefer playing on the Xbox now, but my favourite Genres have always been MMOs and Shooters. The fact that I can enjoy an MMO Shooter on my Xbox is just outstanding and I can't wait for it! Also, the television series got me even more intrigued.

What I really want to be fleshed out is the Guild Systems and the connection between the Game and television series. I am so excited to see how they intertwine.

However, I am a little concerned about the television series being cancelled or rushed!

Turrant
06-06-2012, 03:36 AM
Oh cool! I am an avid poster!
Do you post much there? Sorry if I don't recognise you :s

I have about 300 posts there scatered about the various sections.

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 03:38 AM
I have about 300 posts there scatered about the various sections.

And he doesn't remember you? - Heartbreaking :(

Quizzical Harpy
06-06-2012, 05:17 AM
And he doesn't remember you? - Heartbreaking :(

I think I recognise the avitar... :p

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 06:05 AM
I think I recognise the avitar... :p

Doesn't make it so Heartbreaking. :) Hehe

greenmother1
06-06-2012, 01:49 PM
this is my first MMO ever! Well the only one that has held my interest more than 24 hours. My hubby is a bigger gamer than I. But over the last couple years my interest in horror films has spilled over into the gaming world. I go by greenmother, greenwillow or greenleaf. Looking forward to many adventures.

fuzzynaru
06-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Personal Background if you are so inclined: Play trumpet
Favorite game: Morrowind
what do you play now: Morrowind
What are your experiences in MMOs or shooters: Crap tons of beta testing :)
What dragged you to this game: seemed like a good premise and wanted to see what was effected.

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 02:36 PM

Aha! The fact that you copied the last bit and put it on the end like that made me chuckle!

fuzzynaru
06-06-2012, 04:01 PM
that was an accident, Whoops.

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Oh - That was my first thought but then I thought that you might have done it deliberately for hilarity :D

fuzzynaru
06-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Not that funny through typing but yeah sure lets go with that

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Seems better for everyone that way! Haha - People get a few laughs and you have no embarrassment ;)

fuzzynaru
06-06-2012, 04:39 PM
I like it!

FenK
06-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Personal Background if you are so inclined: The name is Fenmore. I spend most of my days writing, Watching TV (mostly SciFi), and playing video games

Favorite game: I have so many games that I love. My childhood was spent playing Tony Hawk games, SSX, Dark Alliance, DMC, GTA, COD, Max Payne (I played any game my dad and brother put in front of me)

what do you play now: The 2 games that I have recently spent too much time playing are Mass Effect 3 and Elder Scrolls

What are your experiences in MMOs or shooters: Lets just say that is the MMO exists I have most liely played it. Even if just for a few hours out of curiosity. As for shooters COD is my go to game and one of the few games I can get my sisters to play with me.

What dragged you to this game: The Tv Show. What dragged me to the TV show? Julie Benz and Jaime Murray. I have been a huge fan of Julie's since Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Jaime's since Warehouse 13. I watched her in Hustle but I didn't become a huge fan until she played HG.

What you want to see implemented or fleshed out: I'm a sucker for character development. I'm that person who always wants to see the villains good side and the good characters bad side. I want every character fleshed out and given a rich back story.

Potential fears or downfalls of development for this game: One of my biggest fears is that Jaime's character dies. Her characters seem to always die. Another one is that Syfy will cancel it. It has so much potential I don't want it to go to waste.

Also I just want to say that I LOVE AGE OF EMPIRES! Most of my allowances went to buying the game and all of the extensions that I still have today.

Escyos
06-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Another one is that Syfy will cancel it. It has so much potential I don't want it to go to waste.

Syfy loves to kick us in the pants don't they - Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Sanctuary...

Thats why we should promote the series everywhere we can and send constant emails to Syfy for them to upgrade how they get their ratings and take DVD projection sales into account.

Adsinonimous
06-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Syfy loves to kick us in the pants don't they - Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Sanctuary...

Thats why we should promote the series everywhere we can and send constant emails to Syfy for them to upgrade how they get their ratings and take DVD projection sales into account.

Haha. They would have to up their game then, with all that pressure! - I don't think this will slip as they also have pressure from Trion and they are both relying on each other. They wouldn't want to let one another down as it could be a bad fallout between the two companies, making them both suffer.

FenK
06-09-2012, 09:11 AM

You brought up Sanctuary and now I'm angry all over again. I've already got a few people excited for the show and game and i'm working on getting more. I will do anything to help make it successful and make the show go on for many years!

Escyos
06-09-2012, 09:14 AM
You brought up Sanctuary and now I'm angry all over again. I've already got a few people excited for the show and game and i'm working on getting more. I will do anything to help make it successful and make the show go on for many years!

Me too, that finale was hardly a way to end the series. I'm gonna start advertising the show (and by extension my wiki) soon on facebook and twitter and find a few forums about the place to post it on (on topic posts, i don't want to derail forums and put the show in a bad light)

Quizzical Harpy
06-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Me too, that finale was hardly a way to end the series. I'm gonna start advertising the show (and by extension my wiki) soon on facebook and twitter and find a few forums about the place to post it on (on topic posts, i don't want to derail forums and put the show in a bad light)

Yes, becareful when promoting this game on other sites, it could go either way.

Shrapnil
06-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Yes, becareful when promoting this game on other sites, it could go either way.

Yea i have seen this go horribly bad. Tends to just lead to fanboys of AAA titles flamming and people getting upset.

ultimt1
06-10-2012, 04:10 PM
wait a minute, they cancelled sanctuary?!!! i liked that show....

Name is ultimt1, go by ultimt in Rift or whatever Dragonlance character name hasnt been taken.
FPS name is {FBI}usedtobeoh, or just oh3. (was my mos in USMC once upon a time, in a galaxy far far away.......)
currently playing Rift
MMO experience- played Lotro for a year and a half from launch, Mortal Online (fail) Aion, Age of Conan
Best game ever played- Battlefield 2 with my clan
played al the MoH games, CoD until 2, thats when the series went south

found Defiance by accident looking at the official Trion website. then found out they were coming out with a show also, on SyFy, a channel i watch alot. win win

fears-game wont be ready at launch, it wil be some of the same old stuff with different skins, you know, like cod :)

Shrapnil
06-11-2012, 10:54 AM
wait a minute, they cancelled sanctuary?!!! i liked that show....

Name is ultimt1, go by ultimt in Rift or whatever Dragonlance character name hasnt been taken.
FPS name is {FBI}usedtobeoh, or just oh3. (was my mos in USMC once upon a time, in a galaxy far far away.......)
currently playing Rift

MMO experience- played Lotro for a year and a half from launch, Mortal Online (fail) Aion, Age of Conan
Best game ever played- Battlefield 2 with my clan
played al the MoH games, CoD until 2, thats when the series went south

found Defiance by accident looking at the official Trion website. then found out they were coming out with a show also, on SyFy, a channel i watch alot. win win

fears-game wont be ready at launch, it wil be some of the same old stuff with different skins, you know, like cod :)

Welcome to the community Ultimt. I look forward to seeing you around here contributing to the conversations.

Drainage
06-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Personal Background if you are so inclined:
I'm old enough to have seen everything from Pong to SWTOR. My education is in business information systems and psychology.

Favorite game:
KOTOR

What do you play now?
I am bouncing around from SWTOR and the The Secret World Beta.

What are your experiences in MMOs or shooters?
Have dabbled in every genre, but mostly been in the MMOs lately. Have lots of playing time in WoW, SWTOR and Rift. Have played about every major shooter since DOOM.

What dragged you to this game?
I'm a sci-fi nut. The people behind this game and show know their craft well. It really is a perfect storm.

What you want to see implemented or fleshed out?
I want to see the RIFT engine used for Sci-Fi glory and story.

Potential fears or downfalls of develpment for this game:
None. Quality folks are taking care of this project.

Shrapnil
06-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Personal Background if you are so inclined:
I'm old enough to have seen everything from Pong to SWTOR. My education is in business information systems and psychology.

Favorite game:
KOTOR

What do you play now?
I am bouncing around from SWTOR and the The Secret World Beta.

What are your experiences in MMOs or shooters?
Have dabbled in every genre, but mostly been in the MMOs lately. Have lots of playing time in WoW, SWTOR and Rift. Have played about every major shooter since DOOM.

What dragged you to this game?
I'm a sci-fi nut. The people behind this game and show know their craft well. It really is a perfect storm.

What you want to see implemented or fleshed out?
I want to see the RIFT engine used for Sci-Fi glory and story.

Potential fears or downfalls of develpment for this game:
None. Quality folks are taking care of this project.

Welcome to the community Drainage. I too am abit of a sci fi nut so this game drew me in quick haha. The only fear i have is that this game will tank cause of the money side of production. So many great projects go to waste cause the bill just becomes to much for the developers to handle, or producers to want to keep paying people to act the parts.

Gscully
06-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Personal Background - Network Admin and mmo game player / tester.
Favorite game - undecided
what do you play now - SWTOR, TSW beta, GW2 beta and another Trion beta I can not name.
What are your experiences in MMOs or shooters - Started MMo's with FFXI and have played many since then. I'm fond of the gears of wars series as well as the Halo series, BF2 was good didn't like BF3 as it crashes all the time.
I have an xBox, PS3 and a kick azz PC.
What dragged you to this game - alien invasions - its the latest great experience :)
What you want to see implemented or fleshed out - not much, I figure by this time they have it all fleshed out.
Potential fears or downfalls of develpment for this game - none really I haven't spent any money on it.
I was a beta tester for Star Gate Worlds, too bad it failed before launching.

Shubawks
06-14-2012, 11:33 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Cody - or Shubawks as my alias. I've been around MMORPGs since Final Fantasy XI on the Playstation 2 about 8 years ago. Since then, I've ventured through many different scenarios, including World of Warcraft, Rift, EQ 2, etc. - and now I basically roam through League of Legends during the night time and design interfaces for a living. I'm currently designing interfaces for an upcoming title called "Origins of Malu" - you may have seen us on Massively. Anyways, besides that - I basically relax and eat Doritos.

Cheers,
Shub