PDA

View Full Version : Game held back because of console

Spooh
04-07-2013, 09:08 PM
First of all, let me start off by saying that I love the game. I've played countless hours already on this game that I originally had no intentions of buying, it was a pretty rash decision. Either way, I found myself enjoying the game itself and love the concept. I do however have some major concerns regarding the game's future and I've already seen it happen in the first 7 co-op missions.

I fear that the PC version will suffer because of the console version. Why? Because doing stuff with a controller is hard, so it needs to be dumbed down in order for the average player to be able to get through the content. All the current dungeon content is extremely dumbed down and very simple, and I feel that may be the skill level set for this game as it has to fit console as well.

It's already very obvious that this is a console port looking at the UI etc, please for the love of God don't make all the content doable with a controller on the PC too, it's going to kill the game.

JMadFour
04-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Yay for PC Elitist nose-stuck-in-the-air-ness.

can we make this the official "bash everyone who has ever played on a console" thread?

that way the forum isn't filled with them.

cfStatic
04-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Everything sans PVP* is doable with a controller for the PC. For your second paragraph..look no further than the threads on Nim or Jackleg Joe or even some of the co-op bosses(The one in explosions 101 for example...). It's not -only- console players.

*While you -can- use a controller for it, any half-ways decent person with a mouse and keyboard is going to wreck you.

TH3xR34P3R
04-07-2013, 09:18 PM
The only thing that is killing games is peoples attitudes, just cause you don't want to play with a controller does not mean they don't have to code in the option for those that want to, I to am a pc player and yes I do play on the 360 and ps3, the only issue I have with ports is the design limits put on some of the graphics.

The game play aspect is determined by the dev's target audience, if you are finding it hard then that's a good thing not a bad thing as the only way to get better is to play the games the hard way and get practice through adaptation and repetition, less whine more practice.

Xaearth
04-07-2013, 09:19 PM

can we make this the official "bash everyone who has ever played on a console" thread?

I was just thinking we need a "There's your sign..." thread for console players... :p

But yeah, with responses like yours you can tell there's no love lost between PC users and console addicts. :rolleyes:

As to the topic of the thread...
There are good things that come about from segregated servers, such as the fact that everything done for the PC version (maybe some nifty UI changes/customizations) doesn't have to take into account repercussions for the consoles.

BassGSD
04-07-2013, 09:19 PM
You think playing a shooter with a controller is hard?

Wow... PC players really are bad. (this part is half troll/half serious).

JMadFour
04-07-2013, 09:20 PM
I was just thinking we need a "There's your sign..." thread for console players... :p

But yeah, with responses like yours you can tell there's no love lost between PC users and console addicts. :rolleyes:

As to the topic of the thread...
There are good things that come about from segregated servers, such as the fact that everything done for the PC version (maybe some nifty UI changes/customizations) doesn't have to take into account repercussions for the consoles.

I've been on both sides of that particular fence, and I think its all rather ridiculous.

krazyx86
04-07-2013, 09:22 PM
This is honestly one of the stupidest theories I have heard regarding Defiance.. I play on PC, and sometimes I like to use my 360 controller to play, and I find it just as easy, if not easier(in some situations) to use my controller.. Have you even ever played a console shooter? Go play COD or Halo and tell me some of the people don't seem like they're using a mouse/keyboard.. It's not that hard..

Arsenic_Touch
04-07-2013, 09:23 PM
While it's obvious that this a console port and it is being held back in certain aspects to appease the console format, the UI is obviously a hindrance, I am not seeing the "dumbed" down in co'ops.

Barrik
04-07-2013, 09:31 PM
First of all, let me start off by saying that I love the game. I've played countless hours already on this game that I originally had no intentions of buying, it was a pretty rash decision. Either way, I found myself enjoying the game itself and love the concept. I do however have some major concerns regarding the game's future and I've already seen it happen in the first 7 co-op missions.

I fear that the PC version will suffer because of the console version. Why? Because doing stuff with a controller is hard, so it needs to be dumbed down in order for the average player to be able to get through the content. All the current dungeon content is extremely dumbed down and very simple, and I feel that may be the skill level set for this game as it has to fit console as well.

It's already very obvious that this is a console port looking at the UI etc, please for the love of God don't make all the content doable with a controller on the PC too, it's going to kill the game.

Pretty sure the whole reason this game happened is because of console. If I want to play a game on my kick azz rig, it wont be this. I purposely bought this for my xbox because I knew that's what would make it more fun. And I was right. Maybe this will not be that popular for pc gamers, but for the xbox it should do pretty well, especially after the show launches.

bleuzarro
04-07-2013, 09:32 PM

he was not in fact bashing anyone who plays on a console. he was not coming across elitist. he was simply stating the fact that there is a difference between what a mouse and keyboard are capable of vs what a controller with a very limited button layout is capable of.

fact is, things have to be simplified. He just doesnt want that to mean that the PC version too has to be simplified.

not insulting consoles, just stating a difference. Calm down buddy.

6Strummer
04-07-2013, 09:36 PM
This idea of consoles holding PC gaming back always gives me a chuckle. PC gamers hold PC gaming back by pirating games, and when they do buy one it's normally at a cheaper price than it's console counterpart. Does this sound like an attractive business arrangement for developers? Does it give developers the motivation to push that PC hardware as far as it can go? No, it doesn't. The other factor PC gamers love to both trumpet and ignore is that PCs have no generations, or at least not like consoles do. The PC gamers who upgrade their rigs as much as possible wonder why so few games take advantage of their hardware, when reality is that most PC gaming is done on older computers with minimal upgrades, if any. There is no incentive to put in extra work and spend extra money developing a game with bells and whistles that most people will never experience, unless making that kind of game is a point of pride for the developer. *cough-Crytek-cough*

bleuzarro
04-07-2013, 09:44 PM
This idea of consoles holding PC gaming back always gives me a chuckle. PC gamers hold PC gaming back by pirating games, and when they do buy one it's normally at a cheaper price than it's console counterpart. Does this sound like an attractive business arrangement for developers? Does it give developers the motivation to push that PC hardware as far as it can go? No, it doesn't. The other factor PC gamers love to both trumpet and ignore is that PCs have no generations, or at least not like consoles do. The PC gamers who upgrade their rigs as much as possible wonder why so few games take advantage of their hardware, when reality is that most PC gaming is done on older computers with minimal upgrades, if any. There is no incentive to put in extra work and spend extra money developing a game with bells and whistles that most people will never experience, unless making that kind of game is a point of pride for the developer. *cough-Crytek-cough*

Crysis 3 is quite playable, just not always super maxed out.

Don't understand your complaint here though about making games pretty isn't beneficial? It's just a pride thing? Sounds like you're upset you don't have a PC. Build one, it's not expensive. It'll beat out having to buy several Xboxes once they fail on you.

Also how does someone both trumpet and ignore something? Seems pretty contradictory.

I wouldnt make broad accusations that all PC gamers are pirates either. That's like saying all people illegally download music. And if you're mad that PC gamers buy games at a fraction of the price on Steam, then you should look at consoles. People buy used games over and over again which never once goes back to the developer. Steam partners with developers and are able to offer incredible prices on games that may be old, and sometimes brand new ones, but it entices so many people that tons will buy it even if they hadnt really thought they would, simply because the price is so great. So PC gamers getting games at a discounted price certainly isn't the problem.

Sounds like you just want to bash PC gamers. When the OP here wasnt even bashing anyone. Simply asking a question.

VolDeVie
04-07-2013, 09:53 PM
I Lol'd at OP. "Don't make everything playable on 1/3rd of the market!" Anyways, a lot of the content is easy. This isn't because of console players, I find a controller a hell of a lot easier than a mouse and navigate the game mainly with ease as well. IF you're having too easy of a time, take off your auto-aim button.... (Not sure if this is on PC but it IS on consoles, which I'm still a bit upset about being in the final product) Also, if you didn't take your auto-aim off you should feel like a moron for bashing on people over how easy the game is when you're using easy mode. <-- I hope this isn't the case because I would die of laughter.

6Strummer
04-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Crysis 3 is quite playable, just not always super maxed out.

Don't understand your complaint here though about making games pretty isn't beneficial? It's just a pride thing? Sounds like you're upset you don't have a PC. Build one, it's not expensive. It'll beat out having to buy several Xboxes once they fail on you.

Also how does someone both trumpet and ignore something? Seems pretty contradictory.

I wouldnt make broad accusations that all PC gamers are pirates either. That's like saying all people illegally download music. And if you're mad that PC gamers buy games at a fraction of the price on Steam, then you should look at consoles. People buy used games over and over again which never once goes back to the developer. Steam partners with developers and are able to offer incredible prices on games that may be old, and sometimes brand new ones, but it entices so many people that tons will buy it even if they hadnt really thought they would, simply because the price is so great. So PC gamers getting games at a discounted price certainly isn't the problem.

Sounds like you just want to bash PC gamers. When the OP here wasnt even bashing anyone. Simply asking a question.

Not bashing anyone, except people who claim consoles are holding PC gaming back. I will admit I saw the title of this thread and replied before I read the post. I thought about editing what I said, then decided against it. I just see that premise brought up all the time and it honestly makes me laugh. I've tried PC gaming a few times, and with the exception of a few titles, I've always preferred console games, so no thanks to building or buying a PC for gaming. I have a brand new rig that would run most games very well, but I bought it for other purposes, and like I said I prefer console gaming anyway. I didn't say all PC gamers pirate, but if you're suggesting piracy isn't far more prevalent on PC than consoles then I'll have to laugh at that also. When I say I've seen the idea of no generations for PCs both trumpeted and ignored, I mean it, as silly as it sounds. People will bring up a point or ignore it as it suits them, and that's such a point for PC gamers, or at least the ones who comment on internet forums. I'm a Playstation guy, by the way. The idea of buying a game and then renting the online part from Microsoft is another thing that makes me laugh. I've been anti-Microsoft since well before the original XBox, so I avoid giving them money whenever I can. I don't think buying used games is a crime, anymore than buying a used movie or cd or any other product. I understand wanting to make more money from the used market, but that doesn't make it right. That's getting into a whole different subject. The evils of capitalism.

Anyway the bottom line is I posted without reading what I was replying to, so my apologies.

Spooh
04-07-2013, 10:08 PM
he was not in fact bashing anyone who plays on a console. he was not coming across elitist. he was simply stating the fact that there is a difference between what a mouse and keyboard are capable of vs what a controller with a very limited button layout is capable of.

fact is, things have to be simplified. He just doesnt want that to mean that the PC version too has to be simplified.

not insulting consoles, just stating a difference. Calm down buddy.

This is exactly what I ment.

c0kemusheen
04-07-2013, 10:23 PM

I'm a PC gamer, but sadly I totally see where you are coming from. People tend to make generalizations far too often, but.......this one is actually right

c0kemusheen
04-07-2013, 10:25 PM
The evils of capitalism.

Not trying to be rude, but the "evils of capitalism" are what fostered technological growth throughout the last 50 years. Microprocessor production, OS development, coding languages, graphics tech etc. These all flourish because the US has a capitalistic system...

Dixa
04-07-2013, 10:26 PM
honestly gaming on the whole is being held back by 6 year old consoles.

Spooh
04-07-2013, 10:26 PM
It seems most of you misunderstood me. I by no means ment to insult anyone using a controller or consoles in general. I own several consoles myself and I know for a fact that there are limitations to what you can do on a console compared to a mouse and keyboard. My point was not to start a flame wars which is better, or if people prefer one or the other or even which graphics are better (not sure where this came from in this thread anyway).

My point was simply this, bossfights and mechanics in general seems VERY limited and I'm afraid it's going to stay that way in order to please all controller users. That is of course the way to do it on consoles, but I think it would be way too easy for every mouse and keyboard user. The current content is simple, shoot this thing or shoot this thing. There is no more to it than that, you have to dodge once every blue moon, there's barely any teamwork required.

To the guy brining up the last boss of the main quest, I'm glad you did. Most of the complaints of him being hard came from the controller users, note that this is in NO MEANS a bash on controller users, but he is simply way harder with a controller than a mouse and keyboard. I killed him on my first try and thought he was a joke, but I can understand that he's a lot harder with a controller simply because he had some mechanics to his fight (which the dungeon bosses didn't).

Dixa
04-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Not trying to be rude, but the "evils of capitalism" are what fostered technological growth throughout the last 50 years. Microprocessor production, OS development, coding languages, graphics tech etc. These all flourish because the US has a capitalistic system...

yep until clinton repealed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass%E2%80%93Steagall_Act something we are still suffering from today.

if that had not been repealed then the careless actions of investment bankers would not have affected the normal banks that hold your savings and checking accounts when the housing boom busted.

Xavier Horovitz
04-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Typical PC elitist thinking he's top notch. Guarantee I'm smarter than you'll ever be.

- Signed, with love, the Xbox player with a gaming computer who would rather live with graphical limitations than count himself as one of your pathetic kind

BananaTape
04-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Hi everyone,

We have closed this thread and would like to take a moment to explain why. We do welcome all feedback, even when it is negative or critical, but we do ask that it is respectful and constructive, please.

If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to contact us at community@defiance.com.

Thank you!