PDA

View Full Version : Defiance is a good game, but currently lacks depth and content.

Derity
04-07-2013, 11:57 PM
This is a great game, but in it's current state will have a tough time in the MMO playground.

In my first few days of playing, I have got to around EGO Rating 1200, I have finished every quest in the game, done every Arkfall and participated in every PVP scenario. I've unlocked every Power, have tried pretty much every gun in the game and have killed every enemy in the game.

The main problem with Defiance is the lack of content ~ I've pretty much done it all in the first few days and there is no obvious "End Game" content. Now, this game is not an MMORPG ~ I get that, but that doesn't excuse the fact that this game only has 2 maps. I remember during Beta reading that most of the game was locked off and that the Beta only represented 15% of the full game. In reality the Beta was more like 50%+.

All MMO's require content to keep people interested. We need content to keep us playing for months to come. All I have really to play now is PvP. Because there is no endgame PvE Content. When you complete all the quests, you are basically expected to go back and finish up your missing pursuits; Either go find some data recorders, or go shoot 5000 enemies with guns that you don't usually use.

The annoying thing about all of this is, I love Defiance! I just wish that it had more to it, I know DLC is coming - but it really should have had more to it right from the start. Depending on how long it takes for DLC to release, a lot of players could and will move on by then. I know there will be some Episode missions coming with each TV Show, but 20 minutes of gameplay a week is just not enough for a Hardcore gamer like myself and there isn't much here to keep me playing for months to come.

With that said, I do still really enjoy the game and I plan on still grinding (somehow?) to EGO Rating 5000. But I can't promise that I'll actually reach my goal and I can't say it looks like the most entertaining road either.

Even though Defiance is not an RPG, In my opinion, it does need to borrow some concepts from some MMORPG games, for the end-game content. World of Warcraft has Raiding, Path of Exile has it's Map system(Please devs, look into this.), A lot of games just have a slow grind to the higher levels, but they have character progression so players have stats to look forward to when leveling up.

All that Defiance has right now is the slow grind, but without any solid character progression, grinding feels almost pointless. As the players, we need content that keeps us playing. We need items or stats to look forward to earning.

DLC will not be good enough if it is just more quests and more EGO Levels. The main thing this game needs is a solid End-Game. Content that you play when all the quests are completed, and content that will last you the long months until the next DLC.

VolDeVie
04-08-2013, 12:02 AM
This is a great game, but in it's current state will have a tough time in the MMO playground.

In my first few days of playing, I have got to around EGO Rating 1200, I have finished every quest in the game, done every Arkfall and participated in every PVP scenario. I've unlocked every Power, have tried pretty much every gun in the game and have killed every enemy in the game.

The main problem with Defiance is the lack of content ~ I've pretty much done it all in the first few days and there is no obvious "End Game" content. Now, this game is not an MMORPG ~ I get that, but that doesn't excuse the fact that this game only has 2 maps. I remember during Beta reading that most of the game was locked off and that the Beta only represented 15% of the full game. In reality the Beta was more like 50%+.

All MMO's require content to keep people interested. We need content to keep us playing for months to come. All I have really to play now is PvP. Because there is no endgame PvE Content. When you complete all the quests, you are basically expected to go back and finish up your missing pursuits; Either go find some data recorders, or go shoot 5000 enemies with guns that you don't usually use.

The annoying thing about all of this is, I love Defiance! I just wish that it had more to it, I know DLC is coming - but it really should have had more to it right from the start. Depending on how long it takes for DLC to release, a lot of players could and will move on by then. I know there will be some Episode missions coming with each TV Show, but 20 minutes of gameplay a week is just not enough for a Hardcore gamer like myself and there isn't much here to keep me playing for months to come.

With that said, I do still really enjoy the game and I plan on still grinding (somehow?) to EGO Rating 5000. But I can't promise that I'll actually reach my goal and I can't say it looks like the most entertaining road either.

Even though Defiance is not an RPG, In my opinion, it does need to borrow some concepts from some MMORPG games, for the end-game content. World of Warcraft has Raiding, Path of Exile has it's Map system(Please devs, look into this.), A lot of games just have a slow grind to the higher levels, but they have character progression so players have stats to look forward to when leveling up.

All that Defiance has right now is the slow grind, but without any solid character progression, grinding feels almost pointless. As the players, we need content that keeps us playing. We need items or stats to look forward to earning.

DLC will not be good enough if it is just more quests and more EGO Levels. The main thing this game needs is a solid End-Game. Content that you play when all the quests are completed, and content that will last you the long months until the next DLC.

I have a feeling a lot is missing until that first episode airs.

usrevenge2
04-08-2013, 12:06 AM
i feel the same. IMO it needs a lot more arkfalls, like variety, why isn't there a dark matter arkfall where you have to kill the monolith? 3/4 major arkfalls are hellbugs... really come on now.

I also wish you could buy more than lockboxes with keys

another thing is the rep system is bleh. could have been better. daily/weekly contracts are fine but you should be able to farm rep by doing co-op missions as well. I remember in WoW I actually farmed killing certain enemies to get special rewards, hours and hours. there aren't enough factions in the game or ways to get rep.

PVP right now sucks which is sad they need to get people into shadow wars more and there isn't enough maps. not to mention the cloak/shotgun/infector issues with the pvp balance is needed greatly.

there is nothing really to buy in the game. I have 40k scrip or so only thing i might buy is he orange challenger, but i have the black one so don't want it. sometimes a vendor will have a decent weapon and modding costs money but by the time I want to mod a weapon i got a new one, or i maxed out the old one so i don't want to mod it.

Honestly, I think I am done with the game after my play session today, it lasted less than 7 days, but I am not surprised most games last 2 days now =\ I think I might run through the main story, get the co-op mission achievements real quick and give up on the rest of them.

Jeronan
04-08-2013, 12:12 AM

And what will that be? One or two New episode missions?
If you read the blogpost, then you'd know the April 15th patch is a Client patch to (hopefully) fix a lot of bugs and issues currently plague'ing the game (mission, NPC spawn and terrain glitches. Chat system. Loot system. Etc).

The first DLC we won't see until later in May! As they said there first will be another patch End of April.
So the first "real" content patch is still more than a month away for sure. No mention has been made so far if the first DLC will open up a New map or if it will just be a bunch of New missions to the existing map and New playable race(s).

Bonehunter
04-08-2013, 12:30 AM
Perhaps the game isn't designed for hardcore gamers who play 12+ hours par day?

I have played since launch, 2-3 hours per day and am at EGO 250 with loads of stuff left to do. If your the kind of person who burns through the content as fast as humanly possible, just go play another MMO or three to max level before the DLC comes out.

Jeronan
04-08-2013, 12:54 AM

I have played since launch, 2-3 hours per day and am at EGO 250 with loads of stuff left to do. If your the kind of person who burns through the content as fast as humanly possible, just go play another MMO or three to max level before the DLC comes out.

I played the same amount and currently Close to EGO 300, almost finished With the Storyline (in San Fransisco now). Still have about two dozen side missions left.
So, another week playing like this and I will have finished the storyline and all side missions.
For an MMO game that is really short don't you think? As even SW:TOR (that has been slammed by lack of content) had far more content and lasted even me two months of enjoyment at casual play, until the server died out due to plummeting population.

TSW, I am currently still subscribed to, 9 months now. Also slammed because of lack of content.... yet it blows Defiance into oblivion when it comes to content, progression, loot, multi player that actually Works, etc.
It might not be everyone's game due to it's setting. You either love it or hate it. But that aside.

DEFIANCE has been terribly rushed to make the TV Show launch deadline and it clearly shows ( the broken chat system being prime example). And if you really cannot see that, then you live in denial.

Agent T8235
04-08-2013, 12:56 AM
guys come on, how many of these threads are we going to have to kill off before we just start enjoying the game for what it is?

Azrael008uk
04-08-2013, 12:58 AM
Ego level 1200?

Not bad.

It's great you have so much free time to play but if you're going to gobble your food you shouldn't be complaining if it gives you a tummy ache.

Az

Derity
04-08-2013, 04:37 AM

The game is an MMO and it should cater to a wide variety of players, not just casuals.

MMO's are made specifically to have thousands of players, of course out of these thousands ~ there will always be countless no-lifers like myself who will burn through the content at a much faster pace than those who play 2-3 hours a day. Any game with thousands of players, should expect a wide variety of different kinds of gamer.

Regardless, the fact of the matter is 2 maps is just not enough.

Jeronan
04-08-2013, 04:44 AM
The game is an MMO and it should cater to a wide variety of players, not just casuals.

MMO's are made specifically to have thousands of players, of course out of these thousands ~ there will always be countless no-lifers like myself who will burn through the content at a much faster pace than those who play 2-3 hours a day. Any game with thousands of players, should expect a wide variety of different kinds of gamer.

Regardless, the fact of the matter is 2 maps is just not enough.

I am in the more casual (2-3 hours) category and even I am already Close to EGO 300, unlocked the perks I need in the Matrix, almost done with the story mission line and some bunch of side missions left that (at current rate) keep me busy for another week tops.

So even casual gamers will finish the current content in two weeks.

For the average craptastic single player game that has launched lateley I Guess that's not bad.

But for an MMO, that is online has continous running costs of game servers and services, it's extremely bad!

Gohlar
04-08-2013, 04:50 AM
I'm growing bored of solo quests and the campaign is kinda meh. What else is there to do? Kill an Arkfall again? They are boring and easy.

PvP is ok, but there are much, much better competitive shooters and with no progression system in Defiance there's really no hook.

PvE instances are ok but again without a reward system it's hard to do them more than a couple of times. Buying lockboxes for loot I already have is so lame.

People will say "play for fun" and they are right. The problem is most are going to stop having fun before the show even airs. The 30 mins of episode content isn't going to cut it.

Anim
04-08-2013, 04:56 AM
It's sad that the deluded people will swarm to Defiances defense here about how there is plenty for them. If they're prepared to repeat the exact same arkfalls over and over for days on end then there is something wrong, 20minute events with absolutely no dynamic events or triggers, even rift did it much better years ago (done by the same company, how can they not learn from their own accomplishments and pass it between their teams?).

Jeronan
04-08-2013, 05:02 AM
It's sad that the deluded people will swarm to Defiances defense here about how there is plenty for them. If they're prepared to repeat the exact same arkfalls over and over for days on end then there is something wrong, 20minute events with absolutely no dynamic events or triggers, even rift did it much better years ago (done by the same company, how can they not learn from their own accomplishments and pass it between their teams?).

Well said. As for me Ark falls are the biggest dissapointment in this game, Next to the lack of meaningful progression and horrible itemization.

I really enjoyed doing RIFT's in RIFT, because they were actually dynamic, had dozens of different trigger events and initiated regular large invasion events with a World boss in the end, which involved everyone currently logged in...and that, together with an actuall working chat system, gave the game a great social element, with People chatting and helping eachother out!

With Ark falls, People are just bunny hopping around blasting the Crystal until it's insane tedious XP pool is depleted and blows up... then moves to the Next. Rince and repeat. Nothing Dynamic AT ALL!

I have so far spend several hours total doing some Ark fall events and already got totally fed up and bored with them. What a tedious Waste of time... for XP, some crip and crap loot.

meremortal
05-07-2013, 12:33 PM
No way, i was waiting for loads of content to be added as soon as the series were advancing and now i realize that the Nim shoundu fight was the last boss fight and that all the blackout portions of the map are not going to be revealed until the next dlc? If so, it is a big disappointment, i hope the devs check on this type of posts not to delete them because they don't like to hear about but to make a better game of it. as far as i know, i agree with the aim of this post.

Facade
05-07-2013, 12:36 PM
text

How many pages did you go back to find this topic?

Remag Div
05-07-2013, 01:06 PM

http://fabfunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/funny-celebrity-gifs-mfw-i-get-a-question-wrong.gif

DamnShtako
05-07-2013, 01:19 PM
http://fabfunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/funny-celebrity-gifs-mfw-i-get-a-question-wrong.gif

Ricky Ricardo!! just LOL :P

Rivencsky
05-07-2013, 03:34 PM

We are past the release, first second and third episode and still no content. I agree with OP, Trion your crazy if you think we are going to grind away at dailies until you add some actual content. Sorry adding two lousy Episode quests is not considered substantial content. Guild Wars 2, Planetside 2 etc recent updates are 8-10 pages long with changes but yours is what 6 lines?

Get a clue...

I think this is the response from Trion when they see our posts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8105U1WY9ro