PDA

View Full Version : Communication and Chat in game

Gibson Khaine
09-24-2012, 06:53 AM
Now I know we're not developers but a passionate community that we are have comne from all types of games to be here in this community. We all have ideas that we would like to see and figured why not throw this into the mix and give ideas to help Trion make this one amazing title.

I had one idea in terms of communication.

With the Xbox live integration, and standard communication in the shooter genre of games, voice communications become very useful.

PVP and PVE would greatly benefit voice coms and not just for your own guild/clan/caste/community or whatever.

I was thinking along more of the idea that we have seen text chat channels for various zones in previous MMO's whetehr its a chat window, chat bubbles etc, why not make the leap to voice coms too!

Sure the bandwidth is going to be massive, especially in town where there could be 200 or so people in the voice com channel....ouch

To better put this across Ill put it into a real world scenario.
Every individual has their own short band walkie talkie. When they enter an area whetherits an arena/pvp zone or out in the wilderness for an Arkfall event they immediately join the local voice channel for the area.
This will allow communication and coordination amongst everyone in the area.
Weve seen this utilised in other tactical team vs team shooters, but having its application in a pve environment would be great too.

Anyone else have any idea for chat or communication?

Kalbuir
10-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Saw no one responded to this and your thread felt a bit lonely so I figured I would keep it company!

I talked about this briefly with the developers (Rob Hill) during GamesCom, voice chat and text chat will both be in, all though I forgot to ask the follow up question if xbox and ps3 will also have chat support. I am guessing though that not many console users care much about that.

The way it was described to me leads me to believe it will be channel based. Meaning you can talk / chat with your friends or with your group.

Source: http://defiance-central.com/rob-hill-interview-summary/ (myself :P)

dahanese
10-04-2012, 01:25 PM
We are working on chat support for all platforms - including voice. More on that later. :)

Adsinonimous
10-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Awesome! This was my big question for the game as I was wondering if they were doing a different communication technique on each platform or if they were doing the same for all of them.

Caradavin_Rose
10-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Yay for chats!

Disdain
10-09-2012, 05:17 AM
"Contact W/O"

Glad to hear about this, doubt i'll ever join anything other than a group channel, can you imagine the noise of a public channel, ergh!

Now all we need is the likes of the recent reinvention of Doom 3, headset with inset screens that tracks head movement with screen movement.!!

Bringn on the bugs!

vampero
10-16-2012, 08:22 PM
We are working on chat support for all platforms - including voice. More on that later. :)

I'm very glad to hear this !

Darktide
10-17-2012, 07:15 AM
Being able to chat etc when you play is great and can add to the fun but isn't really annoying when you get the pricks who have nothing better to do than to log on and either play music, talk crap or just be really stupid. If they just want to go on like they are 8 then bugger of to a forum or chat room and leave the gamers to enjoy the game.

JellyBean
11-07-2012, 01:50 PM
I'd imagine an area just filled with people talking would be utter nonsense. There is probably a system just like in mmos to chat with just a party or a guild or a specific player upon request. This is a pretty good thread topic that needs more attention.

Shadinaxx
11-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Not sure how the xbox/ps3 voice chat system works, but for PC gamers, we have 3rd party voip programs like Mumble, teamspeak3, ventrillo and raidcall, most are very lightweiight and very little delay. In game voice would be handy as well, but you'll find that alot of the larger clans/guilds will probably cater towards the 3rd party programs, as they have multiple functions that are very nice with the software.

I would love to see the availability to integrate some select voip programs into the game directly. I know our guild will be using TS3, as we use that for multiple games, and it would be nice to be able to integrate it into the game's interface, so that if we grab random public groups (pugs) they would broadcast voice into our TS server, instead of having to find pugs that are able to log into TS, an then have to wait for them to figure out the push to talk key, etc. Also dont like the idea of handing out our guild's TS server info all over the place, even tho we can just kick/ban anyone that abuses it.

In regards to strictly using in game voice, some of our members play multiple games, and we encourage community cross platform, so would rather not be antisocial to the rest of the guild, and running them both at the same time is kinda..... "lol" worthy

Rowan
11-07-2012, 10:54 PM
A few MMOs and online games have had decent integrated chat systems that can be set up much like the typical vent/teamspeak programs can with various options.

Most start out terrible though but one or two systems I've seen work well now. Hopefully they will have it squared away by launch and therefore voice chat will not be nightmarish.

JellyBean
11-08-2012, 06:51 PM
PC's have a large number of options because they can run programs while running the game. Lots of guilds operate that way. But I'm a console player. And if there are 100 players in the same area as me I don't want to be flooded with crap but I still want to be able to communicate with my party/guild/friends.

stormaaron
12-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Most likely with Xbox/ps3 they will add guild chats, proximity chats, global text chat maybe more

Carnak
12-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Being able to chat etc when you play is great and can add to the fun but isn't really annoying when you get the pricks who have nothing better to do than to log on and either play music, talk crap or just be really stupid.

Raises an interesting question.

For text-based chat /ignore provides relief from such players. Will that work for voicechat or will there be an equivalent?

stormaaron
12-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Raises an interesting question.

For text-based chat /ignore provides relief from such players. Will that work for voicechat or will there be an equivalent?

it would almost have to be i know all the games iv played (on xbox) you can mute each player individualy. even with phantasy star universe you could mute players by pressing mute on there name

Suun Brakur
12-27-2012, 06:52 PM

To better put this across Ill put it into a real world scenario.
Every individual has their own short band walkie talkie. When they enter an area whetherits an arena/pvp zone or out in the wilderness for an Arkfall event they immediately join the local voice channel for the area.
This will allow communication and coordination amongst everyone in the area.
Weve seen this utilised in other tactical team vs team shooters, but having its application in a pve environment would be great too.

Anyone else have any idea for chat or communication?

That would be pretty cool Eve Online has local text chat that is similar once you leave a system you leave that chat range into another after jumping through the star gate. Also remind me when traveling from west to east coast by plane and you can listen on to the radar communication you leave that range and when the plan is near another whether passing over or not you pick up chatter. That would be an option outside the clans. Image hearing your PvP challenger taunting you (or maybe not a good ideal if we come across those bad apples).

Smitch
12-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Would be interesting if your voice comms worked both on a local/remote 'channel' as well as immediately around you. >.< Probably not very family friendly though (not that many MMO's are these days. O.o)

Guts
12-28-2012, 04:53 PM
I think there will be a voice chat, in PVP and PVE, like a run or even what a shadow war pops up. However I am sure there will be a Opt you can turn on or off to auto hope in to the voice chat when PVP pops or when you make a group.

I think it will be party/clan or even a self chat, that others can ask to hope in too, for pugs and what not. There will have to be a voice chat for groups or it will get real hard to do group things in this type of game. I am sure they know this and have a team just for it.

Dolnor
12-29-2012, 02:02 AM
Most guilds/squads run their own Voice servers with their choice of programs. They have more control over channels, quality, banning, etc.

Defiance will definitely need voice chat for the MMO side and coordination between group mates. The FPS side is too face-paced for text chat.

Looking forward to trying their integrated voice features! -)

TQQdles™,

Dolnor Numbwit
Eternal Testing Newbie

MuKi1115
01-15-2013, 03:43 AM
Voice chat is an awesome feature and long overdue for MMOs. Since I am a rather slow typer communication was always really cumbersome for me and I simply didn't communicate with others anymore if I could help it which totally missed the point of MMOs...
Seperate guild channels are no option for me since I am a casual gamer who has a time intensive job and a small kid so I can't go on scheduled guild runs as I simply don't know when I will have the chance to be online next. And I don't have the time to waste my precious play time by waiting for anyone either...

As the game is open world it might be a great idea not only to include channel based chat for partys and such but also an open world chat that simply decreases in range the more people are around you so that you are never chatting with more than 5-10 people at once and can control who you are talking to by simply standing (walking, driving...) next to their character.

Fiancee
01-15-2013, 04:10 AM
Trion World like to listen its community, I can say this as long time Rift player. Its kinda funny, because they are so new company, they arent yet so corrupted. Most old companies are so full of themselves. Almost everything they added to Rift or changed was something what community asked.

Doc
01-15-2013, 07:15 AM
How could you have a guild based MMO shooter without in game chat on consoles? That would be absurd and unplayable.

Voodeux
01-15-2013, 07:19 AM
I like that Trion is one step ahead of its customers request. Knowing what your user base is going to want and working on it prior to being asked is awesome. That said after being part of the 'command' channel in Planetside 2 and having to deal with ******s in proximity chat at the warp gate please ensure that your 'mute this person' and 'disable' features are in place prior to release. These two things reminded me why we use teamspeak 3 for our comms.

Doc
01-15-2013, 07:40 AM
I like that Trion is one step ahead of its customers request. Knowing what your user base is going to want and working on it prior to being asked is awesome. That said after being part of the 'command' channel in Planetside 2 and having to deal with ******s in proximity chat at the warp gate please ensure that your 'mute this person' and 'disable' features are in place prior to release. These two things reminded me why we use teamspeak 3 for our comms.
Yes I agree an ignore or mute option should be part of this game at launch, there will ALWAYS be unpleasant people in an MMO that no one should have to associate themselves with unwillingly.

MuKi1115
01-15-2013, 07:48 AM
please ensure that your 'mute this person' and 'disable' features are in place prior to release.

Probably the most important features of any chat no matter if voice or text based...

Varu
01-15-2013, 10:11 AM
In-game voice chat? *shudders*
Still being haunted by my experiences with such a thing in APB.

Train
01-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Yay for not having to only having personal chat options!

Talking to new people can be a good and bad thing....

MuKi1115
01-16-2013, 12:30 AM
I always enjoyed the conversations I had with random people on XBOX-Live. I added many of my XBOX-live friends list after these conversations and it's great to get to know people from all over the world.

Train
01-16-2013, 12:36 AM
Yes I have met many friends on XBL also. I have also been very annoyed with people.

MuKi1115
01-16-2013, 12:41 AM
Yeah, a friend of mine also recieved pictures of some guys naked anus but it was really easy to mute/ignore people on XBOX-live so that was always good to handle... I just hope that we can flag certain players as muted in Defiance so that they are always muted until we unflag them...

Classymadman
01-16-2013, 02:44 AM
I am very happy that the xbox has party chat, get a 4 man clan group going and I may never turn this damn game off :)

Classymadman
01-16-2013, 02:47 AM
"Contact W/O"

Glad to hear about this, doubt i'll ever join anything other than a group channel, can you imagine the noise of a public channel, ergh!

Now all we need is the likes of the recent reinvention of Doom 3, headset with inset screens that tracks head movement with screen movement.!!

Bringn on the bugs!

my impression of being able to hear everybody in a trade hub.

mhhmm (clears throat) ADHJKASHFHKJADGFJKL;JKL;GDF JKL;SDFHJKLSFJKLGHJLKDFGHJKDFSGJHKDJFGHJDKFHGFLSGH JKSGHJKADHJADGHJDGFDFGSFDGHJSGJSDFGHJKSDHJKHJDFGHJ KSGDFHJKASH3LYIPO56790-567905670-98-0TJLK;[GHJK;L
'G,J;.,;LMN

that about sums it up

MuKi1115
01-16-2013, 02:58 AM
my impression of being able to hear everybody in a trade hub.

mhhmm (clears throat) ADHJKASHFHKJADGFJKL;JKL;GDF JKL;SDFHJKLSFJKLGHJLKDFGHJKDFSGJHKDJFGHJDKFHGFLSGH JKSGHJKADHJADGHJDGFDFGSFDGHJSGJSDFGHJKSDHJKHJDFGHJ KSGDFHJKASH3LYIPO56790-567905670-98-0TJLK;[GHJK;L
'G,J;.,;LMN

that about sums it up

That's why I suggested earlier on in this thread that the range of your public (open) voice chat should decrease with increasing player numbers so that you can only talk to the (probably 5) people standing closest to you.

For bigger groups you could still use a group chat channel...

Atilla
01-16-2013, 07:07 AM
Yes, In-game voice chat is not a good thing

MuKi1115
01-16-2013, 07:14 AM
It depends on how its implemented... It could be an awesome feature as much as a pain in the a**. You can always mute it if you don't like it.

I guess it would really help casual players especially in PvP where casual players are usually flattened by guildies that use mumble/teamspeak while they have to type...