PDA

View Full Version : Skills Pointless?

Hardlight
04-08-2013, 09:08 AM
The only serious problem that I have with the game is the weapon skills, seems to make moding and leveling your guns pointless. Being forced to use another gun after leveling is total bullsh*t. This game, for me a least would be much better if they scrapped this system and let you level your weapon skills like borderlands had it, letting you use what ever weapon you want. Seams like an easy fix.

/end of rant.

So would you prefer the current skill system, or maxed weapons increasing your skills.

fishboy11
04-08-2013, 09:12 AM
yes this is a huge annoyance, it makes no sense to me that you get a great weapon and mod it then you cant use it again because you have to swap out for a crappy weapon, the only reason i can see for it is greed, they seem to want you to buy bits so that you can get lockboxes and try to always have good weapons and mods to swap too, because you can max a weapon in a day, theres no way you can get and mod a weapon to match your best in one day, unless you pay for it with bits or you spend the entire day doing just that.

the worst part is that they promised to fix it and make it so that you can reset your weapon xp but they never did.

Ortonius
I feel the complete opposite about switching to other guns. Trion doesn't mind if you stick to the same kind of gun, i.e. Assault Rifle, Shotgun, etc., however they are encouraging you to try out different guns. Most MMO's encourage you to continue to upgrade your weapons and armor. Defiance is no different.

Anim
Yeah, being forced to find a new weapon to carry on levelling does suck, I can see their logic with the current system but it doesnt make it more fun.

fishboy11
04-08-2013, 09:13 AM
I feel the complete opposite about switching to other guns. Trion doesn't mind if you stick to the same kind of gun, i.e. Assault Rifle, Shotgun, etc., however they are encouraging you to try out different guns. Most MMO's encourage you to continue to upgrade your weapons and armor. Defiance is no different.

so what happens when you get a fully modded orange gun, or like me a fully modded purple that i am completely content with?? why should you have to switch to a worse one?

and after a couple of days of play you have most likely tried all the variations of guns anway in the effort of finding and modding that one gun that is gonna be your goto gun, that you then have to ditch for a worse one.

Magician
04-08-2013, 09:16 AM
The games design is backwards.

The weapon leveling system forces you to swap weapons a lot.

As your EGO rank increases it costs more and more gulunite to upgrade a weapon.

These two things mean it is a waste of time to upgrade any weapon until you reach max skill in that weapon type. Because you're going to max it out in an hour or two then sell or scrap it (because every weapon of that type has the same stats anyway).

KashraFall
04-08-2013, 09:16 AM
so what happens when you get a fully modded orange gun, or like me a fully modded purple that i am completely content with?? why should you have to switch to a worse one?

and after a couple of days of play you have most likely tried all the variations of guns anway in the effort of finding and modding that one gun that is gonna be your goto gun, that you then have to ditch for a worse one.

Quite simple really. I got my faction SAW at 500 ego. I am now 994 ego and I still have that SAW. You go up in ego, your weapons do not. They are basically asking you to advance even if your weapons don't go with you, but you aren't forced to discard them. Hell after all the work I put into getting that 200 faction beast of a weapon. No way I will discard it.

Kommissar Kaede
04-08-2013, 09:18 AM

Then you hold onto the nice one until you get the associated skill to 20. Then use the weapon you like most.

Magician
04-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Quite simple really. I got my faction SAW at 500 ego. I am now 994 ego and I still have that SAW. You go up in ego, your weapons do not. They are basically asking you to advance even if your weapons don't go with you, but you aren't forced to discard them. Hell after all the work I put into getting that 200 faction beast of a weapon. No way I will discard it.

That faction weapon is useless without mods for it (you do not get that long list of bonuses it has unless you put the correct mods into it, these mods cost 100 rep each and are random, might take you 6 months to get them all). Any trashy green SAW will be just as strong, and most purples will be significantly better.

KashraFall
04-08-2013, 09:20 AM
That faction weapon is useless without mods for it (you do not get that long list of bonuses it has unless you put the correct mods into it, these mods cost 100 rep each and are random, might take you 6 months to get them all). Any trashy green SAW will be just as strong, and most purples will be significantly better.

I am aware. Which is why I said I am not discarding it lol.

Archellion
04-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Yeah, I have my favorite weapons maxed already, but I just buy new ones (or use drops) to level my skill until I max it. Then I'll go back to my favorites, or whip 'em out when I need to fight at my best.

Still, it would make me really happy to learn that the block to weapon skill with a maxed weapon is a bug and going to be fixed in about a week.

fishboy11
04-08-2013, 09:21 AM

i know weapons dont change with ego, but i still should not be denied the use of my best weapon, this was addressed in beta and they said they would change it and they have not.

KashraFall
04-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Considering I have bought near 30 LMG's now and found many more, maxed them all out and continue to do so, it doesn't bother me all that much. I am currently rank 16 almost 17 in LMG so a little more to go and I can finally use my favorite weapons. Even though I will switch out to assault rifle or something, who knows!

Kantazo
04-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Depends on the mission, some weapons are better for a mission than others. I enjoy sniper rifle, SMG and shotgun, although I had a carabin that was awesome.

Cavadus
04-08-2013, 09:25 AM
It's not like you can't keep your weapons after maxing them. I purchased the Frontier Battle Rifle from Top Notch about 150 EGO ago and promptly maxed it out.

I plan to keep it forever, though, as it's my favorite rifle in the game. I bust it out when the going gets tough or I just feel like using it. I hold onto throw-away weapons for leveling purposes when I'm just questing or mindlessly wandering around from one roadside event to another.

It's not that big of a deal IMO. It's not like the game is forbidding one from continuing to use a weapon they enjoy.

Hardlight
04-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Cool, its good to see both sides to this argument. They could have a compromise to that maxed weapons half the exp being added to you skills so there would still be some progression, but would still encourage people to use new weapons for faster leveling.

ItISLupus
04-08-2013, 09:31 AM
I like being forced to change weapons every once and a while. most of the time I look for the same gun, with different innate abilities. and with the ability to save your mods(at the cost of losing the gun) it hardly effects me.

Certiorari
04-08-2013, 09:33 AM
I like the idea of being able to wipe the xp on a weapon. Make it about the same amount of money as purchasing a new weapon.

As the system works now, I keep my best weapons (even if maxed) for the harder story missions and then just use whatever for everything else.

KashraFall
04-08-2013, 09:34 AM
I have to keep like 4 LMG's on me at all time because of how fast they cap out though. That is a bit annoying.

fishboy11
04-08-2013, 09:34 AM
I like the idea of being able to wipe the xp on a weapon. Make it about the same amount of money as purchasing a new weapon.

As the system works now, I keep my best weapons (even if maxed) for the harder story missions and then just use whatever for everything else.

that is what they promised to do, was to add a button that resets weapon xp, but they havent delivered or even mentioned it.

jetblack49
04-08-2013, 09:35 AM
I don't really like the idea of having to swap out pointlessly, especially because some guns I have I have yet to find good replacements for (I like my loadouts to make sense with a primary and secondary weapon that works together).

Maybe it could be possible in the future to spend scrap or something to 'reset' a weapon, or better yet add another level to it so you keep the bonus and then get another level to earn XP for... maybe the item colour could also determine how many times it can be levelled with whites one, greens two, and so on.

Archellion
04-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Personally, I don't see why they don't get rid XP for your equipped weapon and just build in the bonus stat from the start. Then they can tie the quality of mods you can use to your weapon class level (i.e. white mods only until level 6, green to level 11, blues at 16, and purples/oranges at 20 - or thereabout.)

Doing so would:
A.) Make non-blue mods relevant. At this point, if you're using green or lower mods in your weapons, you're wasting scrip/gulanite (from breaking down the green and white mods), IMO.
B.) Give people a sense of progression for their weapons.

They could also tune the mods to provide more significant bonuses.

Shank 4 Giggles
04-08-2013, 10:09 AM
I would be more inclined to switch to a new weapon if the game actually gave me one. I'm afraid of saving up for a tier 4 lockbox because I know there's a high chance of getting crappy weapons or gun types I don't use. Enemies definitely don't drop anything better. Sniper rifles are my primaries but only semi-auto's are worth using.

Hardlight
04-09-2013, 04:46 PM
This really goes against what I had started this thread for, but the more I use their leveling system, the more I’m dig’n it. Really lets you get a fell for all the guns in the game and after hunting down some hulking raiders, managed to get my AR skill to 12 in a few hours.

square
04-09-2013, 04:54 PM
it would a lot easier to hold onto guns I liked if there was a ****ing storage

DiabloMuerto
04-09-2013, 04:55 PM

Yes but most MMO's encourage you to upgrade your weapons by offering you better weapons. The difference in weapons in this game is very negligible so "upgrading" a gun is very subjective. As it stands I have not yet found an assault rifle that I consider to be better than the one I got very early on so I've had no reason to swap it out yet to not use another gun is detrimental to my progression. So basically they're forcing me to use a gun I would prefer to not use just to keep advancing my weapon skills, which is stupid to be blunt about it.

The system they use just isn't very good, why spend scrip and reputation credits on those nice synergy weapons if you won't even be able to keep using them.

CReaper210
04-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Maybe I haven't got as far as you guys, but I don't really understand what you're trying to say. I'm at 400 ego rating, and every weapon I've found so far are always the same. All Votus rifles do 40 damage with a high RoF. All regular ARs do 200-300 damage with a RoF of 9 or 12. Shotguns and LMGs(which I also use) seem to be the exact same way. If anything, this DISCOURAGES me to use new weapons. The assault rifle I'm currently using has an ego rating of 46. I haven't switched weapons in over 350 levels because everything I find is exactly the same.