PDA

View Full Version : NOT better with Kinect...

mikepaul
04-08-2013, 09:57 AM
I bought a lightly-used Kinect just for Mass Effect 3 voice control. My setup is too close to where I sit for motion control. When I told Garrus to do something, he *did* it. Only an occasional repeated command was required.

Defiance, however, seems to have like a 2% success rate, at BEST, of responding correctly or at all to "EGO Loadout One". I even tried it with the TV volume turned down to inaudible. At BEST, I got the loadout screen, still at Loadout 3. Why it doesn't do anything on a regular basis is a mystery. Repeated commands are ignored. Every one, done when the EGO indicator is showing after pressing Down on the Evil D-Pad, which guarantees Down instead of some other direction. This is not operator error.

Lag? An add-on like Kinect screwed with by lag? That'd be a design flaw extreme. Plus, I tested this at the HQ with no arkfall going on around me, so lag would have been minimal. If the menu responds quickly, so should Kinect. If the menu takes several seconds to open up, like at most major arkfalls, then maybe Kinect can be excused for also responding poorly sometimes. Not 98% of the time, and in peaceful surroundings. No way...

Krazee DD
04-08-2013, 10:00 AM
http://i.imgflip.com/10w1j.jpg

Sp33dy89
04-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Totally agree with you.

Can't say better with Kinect if the thing doesn't work much

Arctic Fox
04-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Literally nothing is better with kinect, it seems. Hilarious pic Krazee

Grit
04-08-2013, 10:10 AM
why would anyone even buy a kinect to play video games in the first place?

don't know about you ppl but i play video games to relax and get the heck away from life... last thing i wanna do is talk outloud to myself and do jumping jacks while i kill things...

if i wanna be active i go for a walk or something lol

all the gimmicky voice/motion stuff is garbage...and always has been...

only accessory that was cool... the Light Gun for NES

masongmu08
04-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Agreed, the Kinect is basically useless with this game. Any command you can do with it can simply be done with the touch of a single button. My experience has been something like this:

Me: Ego Accept Mission
Ego: ...
Me: Ego Accept Mission
Me: EGO ACCEPT Mission!!!
Me: Ef this... (presses A on controller)

And yes, I am on the Ego chat channel. I've gotten it to work maybe once, but I really don't try to use it at all anymore anyway.

dlCHIEF58
04-08-2013, 10:25 AM

don't know about you ppl but i play video games to relax and get the heck away from life... last thing i wanna do is talk outloud to myself and do jumping jacks while i kill things...

I for one wholeheartedly disagree with your comment and stance, but respect your opinion. While not my primary way to play games, it is a nice change of pace. And the voice control does add a level of immersion in many games like Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim where it works very well. And those voice commands in Skyrim do make it much easier and faster to navigate the menus. I've not used it in this game yet but if they can get it working properly, it will make menu navigation much easier in the long run for those who use it.

And to be quite honest, I've never understood the unqualified hate for Kinect and other motion controls. Did it eat your baby? Did your other games stop working or stop selling? Did it steal your credit card info and go on a spending spree? Did it post suggestive pictures of your girlfriend/boyfriend on the web?

Ashes2Ashes
04-08-2013, 10:25 AM
I have gotten it to work 100% of the time BUT that may be because I always wear headphones so the tv volume isn't affecting it. The only times it saves time or gives me options I normally can't do is filtering the inventory and stuff like that. Things that would normally take a few menus or can't be done at all.

masongmu08
04-08-2013, 10:48 AM
I actually play the same way with a turtle beach headset but only when I'm playing with friends. Come to think of it, when I got it to work it was when I was using the head set.

Grit
04-08-2013, 10:55 AM
I for one wholeheartedly disagree with your comment and stance, but respect your opinion. While not my primary way to play games, it is a nice change of pace. And the voice control does add a level of immersion in many games like Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim where it works very well. And those voice commands in Skyrim do make it much easier and faster to navigate the menus. I've not used it in this game yet but if they can get it working properly, it will make menu navigation much easier in the long run for those who use it.

And to be quite honest, I've never understood the unqualified hate for Kinect and other motion controls. Did it eat your baby? Did your other games stop working or stop selling? Did it steal your credit card info and go on a spending spree? Did it post suggestive pictures of your girlfriend/boyfriend on the web?

Kinect is like Elves... i hate it cuz i just hate it!! LOL

now perhaps a good boxing game or sight sabre game would be cool n all...plus 2nd floor apartment.. no need to have my downstairs neighbor thinking i'm gonna fall through their roof

Mirimon
04-08-2013, 11:01 AM
even if kinect was accurate, which is isn't, and even if it could tell the difference in hand grip, rotation etc. (and it can't) it lacks the other thing that makes a motion enhanced shooter playable.. a gun... a weapon.. something.. you must have something in your hands.. some way for it to know what you really aim at.. how you hold the weapon, how you are using it, this is something that kinect can never do in it's current state.

also.. using motion controller of any type for a shooter can be fun in pve only, pvp is disadvantage against others..

Grit
04-08-2013, 11:03 AM
that's the thing... i'd be inclined to get a kinect and use it for Tiger Woods golf...but i'd have to actually hold a club in my hand...holding an invisible club is ummm...yeah weird. with that being said..losing grip on club and it smashing throgh my TV screen... nooooot worth it lol

LALLY
04-08-2013, 11:07 AM

I agree.........

Mirimon
04-08-2013, 11:23 AM
I agree.........

the power glove was fun/silly//... worth some laughs..

but yeah.. what is really lacking is proper support for it, and not people just trying to cash in on a gimmick game. there is one for the PS Move, that is like a duel with swords/sword n shield.. it knows exactly how you are holding either.. you can swing in, and at any time chose not to cut, but to sap them with the flat of your blade.. good timing can have you not needing a shield at all and you will be able to parry incoming strikes.. stabs, slashes, jumping downward thrusts, shield bashing.. it does it all, with precision., I can go in there chinese sword style, blade spinning and poking like some crouching tiger movie.. it's actually really fun, intuitive, precise and THAT is the type of thing publishers should be doing.. imagine an elder scrolls..type fps view, with your current weapons and parts of arms showing.. and you can use those weapons in what ever style you can do, or specific motions to cast a veriety of spells.. imagine that game of magic.. where you and your opponent caast spells at each other ala-harry potter and you must deflect and counter cast wisely or fall...

I do have a bit of a favoritism for the Move system, and for good reason.. not only does it use a camera that tracks people, knows the difference between bodies and limbs and has built in microphone for voice commands, but also knows depth.. on top of that the controller is very precise, and allows for a more immersive and dynamic control.

fact is.. they simply haven't used these devices in the best way possible yet, often tacking on motion control options to game not designed for it in the first place.. they need to make their games designed exclusively for it.. which wont happen since that target group is pretty small.. why spend soo much for soo little right?

Filthykur
04-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Are you telling me that Microsoft is lying about games that are better with the Kinect?

Grit
04-08-2013, 11:34 AM
I have the power glove sitting in a box of old NES stuff in my junk room haha!!

one of the best movie lines ever..

I LOVE, THE GLOVE!! kid owned some rad racer with that thing

Rogue345
04-08-2013, 11:38 AM

Only reason i would buy one is for changing weapons/spells on skyrim but even then....

MagellanD
04-08-2013, 01:45 PM
I bought a lightly-used Kinect just for Mass Effect 3 voice control. My setup is too close to where I sit for motion control. When I told Garrus to do something, he *did* it. Only an occasional repeated command was required.

Defiance, however, seems to have like a 2% success rate, at BEST, of responding correctly or at all to "EGO Loadout One". I even tried it with the TV volume turned down to inaudible. At BEST, I got the loadout screen, still at Loadout 3. Why it doesn't do anything on a regular basis is a mystery. Repeated commands are ignored. Every one, done when the EGO indicator is showing after pressing Down on the Evil D-Pad, which guarantees Down instead of some other direction. This is not operator error.

Lag? An add-on like Kinect screwed with by lag? That'd be a design flaw extreme. Plus, I tested this at the HQ with no arkfall going on around me, so lag would have been minimal. If the menu responds quickly, so should Kinect. If the menu takes several seconds to open up, like at most major arkfalls, then maybe Kinect can be excused for also responding poorly sometimes. Not 98% of the time, and in peaceful surroundings. No way...

I couldn't have said it better myself.
I hooked my Kinect up just under the assumption that I could shout
"EGO Cycle Load Out".
But alas...I still have to go into the friggin' menu first and "y" + "b" combo is quicker.
It would be AWESOME if you could say "EGO Loadout 1" while fighting and switch on the fly.

I was disappointed.

LALLY
04-08-2013, 01:50 PM
never understood kinnect, why they think people wanna jump about to play video games is beyond me? do people wanna jump about to watch a tv program? same for gamers.........ok there is a small audience, but its very small, I wish they would stop trying to push it so hard, no ones really interested.

Ainrehtea
04-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Kinect is like Elves... i hate it cuz i just hate it!! LOL

now perhaps a good boxing game or sight sabre game would be cool n all...plus 2nd floor apartment.. no need to have my downstairs neighbor thinking i'm gonna fall through their roof

"Kinect is like Elves... i hate it cuz i just hate it!"

Now I'm sad, Grit hates me! T_T

On topic, Kinect...when I first saw it I laughed at it. I STILL don't own one but my brother got one with his Xbox. That thing is awful.

dlCHIEF58
04-08-2013, 02:12 PM
that's the thing... i'd be inclined to get a kinect and use it for Tiger Woods golf...but i'd have to actually hold a club in my hand...holding an invisible club is ummm...yeah weird. with that being said..losing grip on club and it smashing throgh my TV screen... nooooot worth it lol

I'm the same way about Tiger with the Kinect, which is why I use either this short plastic club that came with my Pro Stroke Golf game on the original Xbox (a pre-Kinect motion game) or a broken shaft with a grip on it. Doesn't have the weight, but at least my hands are holding something and it doesn't feel as out of place. And my biggest complaint about the Kinect on the Tiger games is that it makes you face the screen head-on instead of from the side as you would when actually addressing the ball in real life - takes a little out of the immersion as well as messes up your swing if look up at the screen. But with this setup, you aren't likely to put a club through your screen as you are saying.

I have not tried it (Kinect) with Tiger 14 yet to see how it compares with last year's game (which really did need some improvement) or if they kept in the option that was added to allow for a more normal swing on lower skill levels. And to be quite honest, the Kinect Sports golf performed better than Tiger 13 did which really is a shame. I wish they would go all hard-core on the Kinect mode and make it more of a golf simulator - maybe next gen with the improved Kinect (if they haven't already done so with TW14, but I doubt it).

mikepaul
04-08-2013, 02:44 PM
never understood kinnect, why they think people wanna jump about to play video games is beyond me? do people wanna jump about to watch a tv program? same for gamers.........ok there is a small audience, but its very small, I wish they would stop trying to push it so hard, no ones really interested.
Kinect for voice control is usually a great tool. When I get around to finishing Skyrim (new patch coming that sounds interesting) I'll actually shout the shouts.

As for jumping, I sit 18 inches from my 360's HDTV and there's no jumping here. Kinect is a FAR better investment than Move was for my PS3. Turns out the front room of my condo is several feet short (darn furniture) of enough room for a six-foot player to be in-focus correctly. Rather depressing to have a 50%-off rifle and nothing to do with it. At least I can talk to Kinect...

Thanx4tehfish
04-08-2013, 03:50 PM

You forgot the unspeakable things it did to my mom

It isn't me who has a problem with the Kinect. It is the poor woman downstairs from me who does lol

Carthan_Plex
04-08-2013, 04:02 PM
http://i.imgflip.com/10w1j.jpg

Totally agree. If anyone has dropped the ball on anything ever it would be Microsoft with the Kinect.