PDA

View Full Version : A Blurry Concept

Diabolyk
04-08-2013, 10:11 AM
As much as I'd like to see myself being able to dash from mob to mob, pummeling mobs into the ground as I dodge a storm of bullets... this isn't going to happen.

I only have 30 perk points to spend, so maybe somebody with a bit more experience on the matter may be able to inform me otherwise; From what I can tell, using a melee build is simply nonviable.

With the melee damage improvements, my attacks still only hit for 1300-1600 damage. That may sound decent of course, if the melee attack swing didn't have an internal reset time comparable to the reload speed of a bolt action sniper rifle. What does this mean? It means that body shots from a sniper deal similar damage, and a head-shot from a sniper rifle deals exceptionally more damage.

Why should a character reliant upon being withing melee range of multiple enemies share the same amount of damage as one that can perform the same function from an impressive distance, while simultaneously using a cloak to bolster themselves from retaliation.

This doesn't take into consideration the considerable recharge time on an ability that seems otherwise essential for your character to function properly.

I've heard a lot of complaints about why the bonus melee damage shouldn't be included naturally in the skills. A simple solution to this would be to reduce the base damage bonus of the 60% melee damage perk, to 30%, while increasing the base damage bonus on blur, itself. This provides more options regarding point allocation and possible build usages- However, relying heavily on melee damage still severely under performs in comparison to basically any and every other weapon choice/play-style.

Zaul
04-08-2013, 10:26 AM
I use shotguns that increase melee damage with my melee build. And I use melee after I fire a shot. Or I melee then shoot. This kills most mobs instantly. As long as you are using a pump shotgun. Sawed-off is even better. But I don't have many problems with it. But I do see where you're coming from.

Diabolyk
04-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Couldn't you perform the same sequence regardless of whether you're using blur? A shotgun blast + melee attack will take down most mobs outside of an instance regardless of which ego ability you chose. This is a difference of 500-600 damage when using a skill with many perks dedicated specifically to melee effectiveness.

Compare that same damage bonus to a 30% increase while using overcharge, or 30% damage when using a shot from cloak, and it simply falls short. To compensate for being in the thick of the action, there are several damage-reduction perks that are easily available. But at the expense of picking up these traits, you've sacrificed utility, mobility, or damage.

Xazur
04-08-2013, 10:57 AM
If your going to be doing melee combat, you should be running with Blur, and all your perks should have to do with increasing melee damage, increasing duration of Blur, but also getting the perks that give shield regen or more duration of ability after a kill.

Diabolyk
04-08-2013, 11:13 AM
I'll admit that this thread was a bit directionless... I don't know, I guess I expected to generate discussion about how it could be improved, or perhaps to give me insight on what I'm doing wrong here.

Regarding what has already been mentioned about the shotgun + melee combination, I suggest you guys take a look at what perks are available and how the ego abilities compare:

Cloak- Provides a 75% melee damage bonus with follow through, a 30% damage bonus from exiting cloak, and a 15% damage bonus when attacking from behind. This is a total of 120% bonus damage on a melee attack, while taking advantage of a de-aggro mechanic and longevity booster via a shield regeneration bonus.

Blur- Provides a 30% melee damage bonus when shields are down, 60% while blur is active, 75% damage bonus when an enemy is flinching, and a 75% bonus from follow through. This provides a cumulative bonus of 240% damage bonus. However, because of the way follow through and intimidate functions, you would hardly ever receive the benefit from both simultaneously... ultimately providing a 165% damage bonus. Keep in mind that for this to function, your shields also have to be depleted.

I ask you this... is a 45% damage bonus really better than a reoccuring shield generation and de-aggro mechanic? This doesn't even take into consideration the much higher and more reliable up-time when using cloak.