PDA

View Full Version : So what will happen with the next xbox?

Vehks
04-08-2013, 11:11 AM
It's not for a while yet, but we all know a new xbox is on the horizon. Will there be a version of Defiance for that as well? Will our characters transfer over being that the Durango will obviously still be using live? I'm kind of nervous about the release of this game so close to the next wave of new consoles coming out.

What do you guys think?

Mindset
04-08-2013, 11:11 AM
you wont see new consoles for ~8 months.

Look at backwards compatibility w/ original xbox games on 360. Likely similar.

Vehks
04-08-2013, 11:13 AM
It's still coming and this could be a very real issue. I wouldn't want to lose all my progress because of a new console and 8 months isn't all that long really.

GrampaMurkedU
04-08-2013, 11:14 AM

I bet it comes out Oct/Nov

Mindset
04-08-2013, 11:14 AM
I bet it comes out Oct/Nov

of course, they want it out for christmas.

GrampaMurkedU
04-08-2013, 11:17 AM
It's still coming and this could be a very real issue. I wouldn't want to lose all my progress because of a new console and 8 months isn't all that long really.

8 months is a lifetime in game years. If you can't find fulfillment in that time span with one game you probably shouldn't play it to begin with.

Vehks
04-08-2013, 11:18 AM
8 months is a lifetime in game years. If you can't find fulfillment in that time span with one game you probably shouldn't play it to begin with.

Come on now, this isn't your average single player a game, this is an MMO that will have continuous content patches and expansions. It's meant to last at least a few years. Well.. unless it completely bombs, but let's try to stay optimistic.

BootLeg
04-08-2013, 11:20 AM

the rumor is Xbox wont be BC which i hope is not true

Vehks
04-08-2013, 11:21 AM
the rumor is Xbox wont be BC which i hope is not true Well the PS4 won't have BC, but that doesn't mean the new xbox won't though.

GrampaMurkedU
04-08-2013, 11:23 AM
I just dont see this or any other games having legs into the next generation. And I wouldn't be upset either way. 360 had a great run but im ready for something different. I bought this both intending to enjoy it as well as moving on from it this fall. I just hope it has the legs to carry us that far.

mushinwolf
04-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Well, theres supposedly a big MS announcement on April 28th..most of the gaming press seems to think its the new Xbox reveal. Sure hope so, basic OFFICIAL details at least.
Really not sure wether you'll be able to play this on the next gen or not...be foolish to abolish backwards compatability,but its a worrying possibility.

Time will tell.

Dodece
04-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Technologically speaking the Next Box shouldn't have many issues when it comes to being backwards compatible. The only reason that Sony isn't going to offer backwards compatibility is that they are completely abandoning their Cell architecture. Microsoft is far more likely to scale up their current design that already works quite well.

That said another poster had a pretty good point. You wont be seeing those new consoles for quite some time yet, and to be frank, and I know this will sound like blasphemy for some. You might not want to get either one of those console. Sony might be offering another over priced console, and if that is the case it is a safe bet if you are willing to wait half a year you could end up getting not only a better console, but one for half the price.

While the rumors swirling around Microsoft's next console are just plain scarey. If even half of those are true then their next console could end up pulling a Sega. I don't want to believe that Microsoft is foolish enough to block used games, or to mandate constantly online for the console to even work, but stranger things have happened. I personally thought they were stupid rumors, but now well Microsoft isn't exactly denying it, and some of their people have said things that make me think they are leaning in that direction.

GrampaMurkedU
04-08-2013, 11:31 AM
If the SteamBox comes out I will be getting that and dumping both of the other consoles. With steams current and future library nothing more would be needed.

Bushmaster2000
04-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Rumor is that there's no back compat so you'll either keep your 360 and keep playing, re-buy the game as a re-issue for 720 or just move on to next-gen games and not look back.

Big Bear
04-08-2013, 12:37 PM
judging from all the rumours it appears that there will be no bc. It wasn't a problem last gen but for people like myself who buy a lot of digital content it will be quite a serious issue. Sony may be able to solve this with Gaikai.I'm not sure what MS have planned. If the rumours of a $500, always online, no bc Kinnect box do turn out to be true then I'll be going with PS4 next gen

Kargion
04-08-2013, 12:51 PM
I have not heard any rumors on xbox 360 not be bc but could be. It being always online is making me say no thank you. I don't want to go play an SP game and get "sorry can't service is not available" or my internet is down.

Vehks
04-08-2013, 12:55 PM
I have not heard any rumors on xbox 360 not be bc but could be. It being always online is making me say no thank you. I don't want to go play an SP game and get "sorry can't service is not available" or my internet is down.

I've heard all these rumors myself and that is what makes thuink i will be regretting my choice to get the game on the xbox, I did it because my friends wanted me to get this version to play with them. But it sounds like the new xbox will be a nightmare i'm thinking i probably should have gone PC.

LALLY
04-08-2013, 12:56 PM
bc is not a big deal to me, ill just put the new xbox next to my 360 and change the lead on the tv if I wanna play it, but if the new xbox is 'always online' ill be saying goodbye to Microsoft hello to sony or ill get a decent PC

Defy
04-08-2013, 12:56 PM
could be backward compatible?

Mike Boccher
04-08-2013, 12:59 PM
The new xbox will not be backwards compatible. due to the always on internet connection requiremen that was leaked, many things will suck. BC is not a big deal as how many times have you played your old system games on new one? Of course, i say that as this will be one of the ones I play. I write for myxboxlive.com and did and article on the new xbox, here it is in regards to the BC

http://myxboxlive.com/gaming/rumor-generation-xbox-details/

Mike Boccher
04-08-2013, 01:01 PM
this is another article posted by our admin today in regards to the next xbox

http://myxboxlive.com/gaming/xbox-720-price-release-date-possibly-announced/

Colteran
04-08-2013, 02:33 PM
I would like someone such as Sledge to post feedback on this, personally. I would like to think that everything will be rainbows and sunshine because I have very high hopes for Defiance and it's longevity, I don't want to think of the worst that could happen scenario. I don't see the transfer of characters being an issue though. They are saved server side, not client.

Hemorrhage
04-08-2013, 03:12 PM
You know i'm glad someone posted about this as it made me aware of the fact. I didn't think about that before getting this game.... Now i'm wondering what they're gonna do about the people that have already paid for the disc and content whether they will make it free for already buyers and have the stuff transferred or what.

duction
04-08-2013, 03:21 PM
bc is not a big deal to me, ill just put the new xbox next to my 360 and change the lead on the tv if I wanna play it, but if the new xbox is 'always online' ill be saying goodbye to Microsoft hello to sony or ill get a decent PC

i dont get this stupid statement, i keep reading it and i think you are all being sheep about it. i know you will buy the next xbox. how many time do you switch on your xbox and log OUT of xbox gold account.. i will tell you. never.. logging into you XBL gold account means you are connected to the internet. id say most of the xbox's that are not modded are on the internet 100% of the time anyway.. i just dont understand these idiots minds,

seany1977
04-08-2013, 03:39 PM
i dont get this stupid statement, i keep reading it and i think you are all being sheep about it. i know you will buy the next xbox. how many time do you switch on your xbox and log OUT of xbox gold account.. i will tell you. never.. logging into you XBL gold account means you are connected to the internet. id say most of the xbox's that are not modded are on the internet 100% of the time anyway.. i just dont understand these idiots minds,

Believe it or not ISPs are not 100% reliable. So if I lose my network connectivity for any number of reasons I cannot play a single player game I played 40 quid for? In fact I cannot do anything at all on my new Xbox? I find that ridiculous.

duction
04-08-2013, 03:40 PM
it will only send a few packets to the xbox and receive a few its self.. dialup would prolly do it for single player :D

GrampaMurkedU
04-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Speculation is pointless so why even bother. Yall get yourself all worked up like a bunch of lil old ladies.

Big Bear
04-08-2013, 03:47 PM
this is another article posted by our admin today in regards to the next xbox

http://myxboxlive.com/gaming/xbox-720-price-release-date-possibly-announced/

I'm sorry but these articles are atrocious. Spelling mistakes. Presenting rumours lifted from Kotaku, (which is a notorious click bait site) as facts. This wouldn't be so bad but the "admin" wrote this article can't even get the rumours they've copied right. The $300 model is not for playing arcade games. It's supposedly the subsidised version that will come with a subscription model, and whoever came up with this $300 price tag must be flat out ******ed. The Yango was entirely seperate from the Xbox. It was intended to compete with Roku. Microsoft have not decided to give up on developing the nextbox as a home entertainment hub. They could not be any clearer that that is the direction they are taking. Dominating living space is their top priority. It has been since they launched the console.

I hate to be so negative but your site is terrible. The reviews make IGN look a hotbed of journalistic integrity and searing insight. I think I saw two games that scored lower than an 8. I tried to read the Dead Island review but I couldn't stop laughing at the score. There is literally no reason to visit your site. It has nothing new. Nothing of interest. It's articles are rehashed. It's news is just copy pasta. It's reviews are just terrible. No insight. No understanding of game mechanics. No critical analysis. Ridiculous scores. If this is a high school project then I'd applaud you for your ambition and advise you to pull it. If it's a real site and your not under 18. I'd advise you to contact E.A

Kayler Brodie
04-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Well, theres supposedly a big MS announcement on April 28th..most of the gaming press seems to think its the new Xbox reveal. Sure hope so, basic OFFICIAL details at least.
Really not sure wether you'll be able to play this on the next gen or not...be foolish to abolish backwards compatability,but its a worrying possibility.

Time will tell.

On Major Nelsons blog he had a count down to E3. Supposedly, this is where they are announcing it. You know at one of the biggest gaming conventions. So June.

Kayler Brodie
04-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Rumor is that there's no back compat so you'll either keep your 360 and keep playing, re-buy the game as a re-issue for 720 or just move on to next-gen games and not look back.

I call BS. The easiest way to keep backwards compatibility is to use the same architecture. Microsoft isn't changing the architecture which is why Nvidia is all butt hurt about the consoles not using their chipsets. Also with the Xbox it is more about the video chipset than the processor, which, may be the same for all consoles and I haven't worked on the team for 6 years.

Shiny Pidgey
04-08-2013, 04:06 PM

The majority of Xbox 360 users actually don't use Xbox Live, gold or otherwise, and an extremely significant chunk of consoles have never connected to the service even once.

Consider this: As of February 2013, 76 million Xbox 360 consoles have been sold, and only 46 million Xbox Live accounts exist.

Now consider how many Xbox Live accounts are rarely or even never used - ever go searching for the perfect XBL Gamertag only to find that it's in use by someone who created it five years ago and never logged in a single time? I have - and so have hundred of others just from what I've seen posting around the internet. Consider also how many people have multiple Gamertags, how many people abandoned a Gamertag and eventually created a new one, and so on and so forth.

In fact, beyond these stats, only around 70% of households in the US have access to broadband internet, and that's not taking in to consideration that not all of those who have access have the means to pay for it. Then when you consider that Microsoft's userbase is much more far-reaching than only the US, and that in many other countries access to broadband internet is much more restricted, well...

You think everyone who owns a 360 connects it to the internet and has a gold account because those are the people you communicate with. Some quick searching for statistics and a teensy bit of logical thinking is all that's required to realize how incorrect that is. You call others idiots without researching your own facts. In my book, that makes you the idiot, sir.

LALLY
04-08-2013, 04:18 PM

theres no need to call people idiots, like the last poster said if u look at the stats its a different story, what happens if we do have a 'always online' system and they stop supporting it? u wont be able to play it again? so basically instead of owning a console, u have just rented it from Microsoft......I know people who live at home still whos parents refuse to get internet, what happens to these people? they cant play anymore, personally I can live with a connected console but I wouldn't purchase one just because I don't feel its right.

duction
04-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Think your all worrying about nothing, can you show me the Microsoft statement saying the next xbox is going to be an online only console? No? Didn't think so

LALLY
04-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Think your all worrying about nothing, can you show me the Microsoft statement saying the next xbox is going to be an online only console? No? Didn't think so

yeh theres no proof, people are just discussing the possibility ,for people who ARE worrying, ur correct, theres not a chance in hell the next xbox will be always connected. :)

Kayler Brodie
04-08-2013, 04:36 PM

Only a twitter feed by a Marketing Director.

GrampaMurkedU
04-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Only a twitter feed by a Marketing Director.

Must be true then. Nothing on twit live is ever false

Lol

Shiny Pidgey
04-08-2013, 04:47 PM
The always-on connection isn't even really pertinent to the original topic. If you plan on playing Defiance on it, you're going to have to be online in the first place due to the nature of the game. If you're worried that the 360 XBL infrastructure will be taken down, you've got several years at the least of breathing room either way.

The real questions are:

* Will the next Microsoft console be backwards compatible?

Rumors suggest not. Rumors are, of course, just rumors, but consider that the PS4 specs that were floating around for almost a month prior to the announcement were completely accurate except for the type of RAM used. Most people don't understand how BC works. You need to either have the same environment - the EXACT same environment, not 'an upgraded version of that' - or you have to emulate the original software. Early PS3's and Wiis went the route of having the same environment, they actually had separate hardware on board for doing this work. Open up a BC PS3 and you'll find that there's all the PS3 hardware and what amounts to a PS2 thrown in there. Meanwhile, the Xbox 360 opted for emulation, and the results of that were that only certain titles were supported, some of them didn't run well, almost all of the 360's features were disabled while playing older games, and a partition on your hard drive was required.

* Will Defiance have a separate next-gen version?

It's Trion's call. Again, people underestimate the work involved to port to another console. You can't just release the same game on another system. Consoles have different hardware architecture and thus require adjustments to be made. It would cost a fair amount of money to release next-gen versions of the game, so it's up to Trion whether they feel the revenue they'd get would be worth the money and effort. Also keep in mind that this is an MMO, and console versions were already a bit of a gamble on their end.

* If a next-gen version IS released, will our characters carry over? Will the servers be separate, etc?
It's definitely possible to carry this stuff over or run on the same servers on different consoles, but it's easier to separate them (with the exception that this requires additional servers which would cost additional money to run).

Overall, I'd say it looks pretty grim as far as playing the game on the next Xbox. However, there's nothing keeping you from playing the game well beyond the next generation console's release on your current console.

Kayler Brodie
04-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Must be true then. Nothing on twit live is ever false

Lol

Maybe I should have started with <snarky> </snarky> He put the #DealWithIt. I worked at MS for a long time, they were always trying to do the always online thing, but with (just guessing now since I don't know the latest number) 35% of people still on dial-up it just isn't worth it.

EDIT:
Ok way off, it's something like 6%

Hazel
04-08-2013, 05:22 PM
I hadn't really thought about the long run.

Man I shoulda just sucked it up and dealt with having 8-10 fps on my PC. At least eventually I could've replaced that and still kept everything.

The Tinka
04-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Speculation is pointless so why even bother. Yall get yourself all worked up like a bunch of lil old ladies.

This guy talks sense.