PDA

View Full Version : Out of all the prange gear I have, my blues are still better... why?

Gabbro1000
04-08-2013, 12:00 PM
My EGO rating is 733. I have All kinds of orange stuff, but my favourite and best weapon is a blue LMG that is lvl 236... I came to the conclusion a while ago that EGO levels don't have any effect on gear (if anyone has a link with some information about this, it'd be most appreciated).

But my main bother is (unless I've COMPLETELY missed something) the white, green, blue, purple, orange scale. I haven't found the same weapon twice to be able to compare directly. I've had 2 similar shotguns, but even then, the purple was EASILY superior to the orange. The only thing the orange had going for it was a 29 slot magazine, but the purple was still 20.

Again, unless I've completely missed something (or I just have a really good blue LMG!) I've yet to be 'wowed' by any piece of orange gear I've had so far. If I use my LMG, I'm top 10 in an arkfall every time. I use an orange thing, I'm lucky to be on the board at all. If anyone has a link or some brief information on this, it would be most appreciated.

BUT, I'm not *****ing. I love this game so far. I just want to know what the basic difference is between the rarity scales.

The Notorious Crunchwrap
04-08-2013, 12:06 PM
From what I've seen so far the only thing that higher rarity items have are more buffs and mod slots. Due to pvp the higher your ego doesn't really correlate with getting more powerful weapons.

RLStroud
04-08-2013, 12:09 PM
I'm in the same boat. I am a big time LMG fan (through pretty much any game I play) and that's primarily what I use in this. My best one is still a green LMG as far as damage output. I do have a few ARs and shotguns that are purple and blue that are really good. No orange weapons of any kind for me yet.

vXLuNaRXv
04-08-2013, 12:10 PM
My best weapon is green and I found it in the first couple of hours I played, nearly completed all missions and still not found a better weapon. Trion Definitely need to improve rarity scales since I have found the same weapon in different colours with identical stats ?

Mindset
04-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Because currently there's virtually no weapon scaling system, by ego or rarity. It's sort of broken.

The Notorious Crunchwrap
04-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Because currently there's virtually no weapon scaling system, by ego or rarity. It's sort of broken.

No it's not broken. It's just the simple fact that they wanted pvp and didn't want lowers levels to be out of the running when playing pvp. Althought I do wish weapons scaled to ego level it's simply not going to happen.

Mindset
04-08-2013, 12:13 PM
No it's not broken. It's just the simple fact that they wanted pvp and didn't want lowers levels to be out of the running when playing pvp. Althought I do wish weapons scaled to ego level it's simply not going to happen.

It's called ego-based matchmaking for pvp.

Problem solved.

Serpent330
04-08-2013, 12:16 PM
From what I've seen so far the only thing that higher rarity items have are more buffs and mod slots. Due to pvp the higher your ego doesn't really correlate with getting more powerful weapons.
This has been my observation, more buffs and more mod slots on higher Rarity and weapon EGO levels.

Also remember that your weapon XP caps so its good to swap out your weapons periodically to raise your weapon skills. I have 3 Assault Rifles that I love but I've capped their XP so I've switched to Sniper Rifles (just to change things up) until I find another AR I like.

Ace7248
04-08-2013, 12:18 PM
That sounds simple but when the Ego ratings are spread from 10 to 5000 it is not feasible. Besides they wanted this to be skill based and not level/gear based. Which is why starting level items are very usable even endgame.

Mindset
04-08-2013, 12:19 PM
That sounds simple but when the Ego ratings are spread from 10 to 5000 it is not feasible. Besides they wanted this to be skill based and not level/gear based. Which is why starting level items are very usable even endgame.

how is it not feasible?

1-99
100-199
200-299
all the way to 5000

Also allow to matchmake into open-ego PvP matches that have no criteria, if preferred. Plenty of players to do that.

Bushmaster2000
04-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Different colored weapons don't greatly increase in damage. They only increase the # of mod slots and some bonuses like reload speed or crit damage, the more rare the gun the more bonuses it has i believe. But ya you could have a white LMG that that does 400dmg and you'll find a purple one that still does.... 400dmg. There's not really a significant difference one level to another it's more evolutionary than revolutionary .

The Notorious Crunchwrap
04-08-2013, 12:21 PM

Only problem with this is idea is that it sort of makes ego lvls useless. Beside unlocking more mods lots with guns I see no other incentive to rank up.

Ace7248
04-08-2013, 12:26 PM
The reason it IS not feasible is due to the fact that there are literally thousands of players with varying levels all over the place. Some players might only have 5-6 people online that are near their level so their pvp would be almost empty. Not to mention the stress load on the servers running 10's of thousands of matches as apposed to a couple thousand.

Personally I like the idea that the better player is the one who will come out on top in pvp. If I get demolished by a lowbie I will tip my hat. Besides I am pretty sure Trion was very open about the progression system.

Mindset
04-08-2013, 12:28 PM
The reason it IS not feasible is due to the fact that there are literally thousands of players with varying levels all over the place. Some players might only have 5-6 people online that are near their level so their pvp would be almost empty. Not to mention the stress load on the servers running 10's of thousands of matches as apposed to a couple thousand.

Personally I like the idea that the better player is the one who will come out on top in pvp. If I get demolished by a lowbie I will tip my hat. Besides I am pretty sure Trion was very open about the progression system.

The summary of pvp currently in this game is:

1. cloak
2. shotgun
3. ???
4. Profit

Also, what are you talking about..? why would there be more servers? lol

UsuallyDope
04-08-2013, 12:48 PM
There's a nice epic SAW at Top-Notch Rep vendor although it's only 300

Ace7248
04-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Lol, sorry I didn't mean more servers I meant more stress on the server due to running so many pvp matches (due to the ego rating limits you suggested).

Yeah I agree the cloak/shotgun/win combo needs to be addressed.

@Crunchwrap I "think" Trion mentioned more stat bonuses would be on the guns the higher your Ego rating. I guess we won't know until someone hits the 5000 cap and posts weapons stat cards.

Gabbro1000
04-08-2013, 01:09 PM
There's a nice epic SAW at Top-Notch Rep vendor although it's only 300

I know exactly the one your on about. I need a few more rep creds to get it. The stats are fairly similar to the one I have. I'll get it regardless. I'll probably start a LMG thread so people can post stats... I do have quite a few of them now, because I do like me an LMG.

NavyLock
04-08-2013, 01:31 PM
how is it not feasible?

1-99
100-199
200-299
all the way to 5000

Also allow to matchmake into open-ego PvP matches that have no criteria, if preferred. Plenty of players to do that.

While I also really want something like this to happen, you're thinking too small. If matchmaking only looked in the hundred slots above and below you no one would ever find a match. It needs to be something more like...

1 - 500
500 - 1500
1500 - 2500
2500 - 3500
3500 - 4500
4500 - 5000

Mindset
04-08-2013, 01:34 PM
While I also really want something like this to happen, you're thinking too small. If matchmaking only looked in the hundred slots above and below you no one would ever find a match. It needs to be something more like...

1 - 500
500 - 1500
1500 - 2500
2500 - 3500
3500 - 4500
4500 - 5000

do you realize how many people are playing the game per region? you cant honestly tell me you wouldnt find a 6v6 in a 100 ego range within a minute.

NavyLock
04-09-2013, 10:08 PM
do you realize how many people are playing the game per region? you cant honestly tell me you wouldnt find a 6v6 in a 100 ego range within a minute.

For now, sure. But when game levels off and the hype dies down? Let's be realistic. And especially when you get to higher levels.

ddrake1984
04-09-2013, 10:15 PM
The summary of pvp currently in this game is:

1. cloak
2. shotgun
3. ???
4. Profit

Also, what are you talking about..? why would there be more servers? lol

I have to agree with this, PvP is lacking in its diversity, the maps need to be bigger and they need to either reduce the cloak mechanism or buff the others.

GodSpark
04-09-2013, 10:21 PM
The loot/EGO setup isn't just about PvP. It's about overall playability and freedom.

The way Defiance is allows friends to play together despite level differences. It allows people to explore the map freely (aside from SF). It allows for the seemless co-op that exists for every quest, side quest, roadside mission, and Arkfall. And yes, it helps with PvP.

Defiance would not work at all with a traditional MMORPG loot system. And it is not necessary as there is plenty of depth in the weapon system. The problem is that it's subtle, and most people are used to big obvious numbers.

Midori Oku
04-09-2013, 10:42 PM
This game is more about effects, and less about stats. As you get up into the higher rank weapons, the more effects you see on them. Having those weapons, and a high EGO rating (because of perks) in PVP gives you a small advantage. However, a player with equal or higher skill and a level 40 EGO rating can still kill you. I'm sure there will be slightly stronger guns in the future, but even then it more than likely won't be much better.