PDA

View Full Version : Console Headsets

Buruko
02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
I've been wondering what kind of console headset to buy, I'm on the Xbox and I've been looking at the Tritton Warhead 7.1 setup, it's truly wireless, has 5.8 ghz transmission, and 2 rechargeable batteries. My only concern of course is being sound quality and the voice chat quality.

I know the other competitive headsets at that price point at the Astro AS 50s and the Turtle Beach XP 500 (I think) both of which aren't all wireless, and only one of which uses 5.8 ghz over the 2.4 ghz standard.

I was wondering if anyone out there was using any of these and would care to chime in. If your using something else I'd like to hear about those too.

Dirasyajx
02-28-2013, 12:25 PM
I hear that the Tritton Warhead 7.1 headphones are great but my only concern is spending that much money with the new console coming up soon. will they work with the new xbox? but some friends have them they sound great & they sound clear when they talk hope that helps

OcelotKharn
02-28-2013, 12:30 PM
I hear that the Tritton Warhead 7.1 headphones are great but my only concern is spending that much money with the new console coming up soon. will they work with the new xbox? but some friends have them they sound great & they sound clear when they talk hope that helps

New console aside the next Xbox is not gonna be backward compatible so hes gonna need a head set for his old 360 still anyway.

Buruko
02-28-2013, 12:31 PM
I'm not worried about the new console. I doubt I'll go next gen before they have the 2nd version of the next gen console out. I rarely jump into new tech right off the bat these days, too many unknowns and honestly no news on the new Xbox and I'm under whelmed with the PS4 much like I was with the PS3.

Plus Defiance should run on my 360 just fine for a while, but that does bring up a good question. What happens if they want to update the games visuals but they can't for console due to 'locked' limitations (ie. hardware, software, etc)?

Buruko
02-28-2013, 12:32 PM
New console aside the next Xbox is not gonna be backward compatible so hes gonna need a head set for his old 360 still anyway.

New xbox is not backwards compatible, is that from an official source? I mean with Sony throwing it out the window, why would MS try to keep it themselves? Eh.

OcelotKharn
02-28-2013, 12:45 PM
EA announced that both PS4 and the Next Xbox are both not backwards compatible about 10 days ago

Xannidel
02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
I am on PS3 and I use a Turtlebeach P11 and they were like 50-60 at Gamestop, somewhat pricy but I have been using em for a few years and they work wonders on both the PS3 and PC.

Dirasyajx
02-28-2013, 01:06 PM
when they say backwards compatible they usually mean games im talking about headsets. I don't see myself running to get the new xbox but it would be an added value if the Tritton Warhead 7.1 headphones did work with it. that would make me buy some new headphones

OcelotKharn
02-28-2013, 01:19 PM
Im on about games thats why I was saying that if hes got the money to waste then yea he can buy that headset he wants and he can still used it on both xbox 360 and the next xbox whenever its out

rathb18
02-28-2013, 01:25 PM
As long as it connect with USB or a 3.5mm plug it will work with anything. You can use headsets with both consoles and\or a PC. So unless there not going to have a usb port on the next consoles than YES it will work, there is no reason why it wouldn't.

Edit: it connects with an optical or RCA port so yes it will work for PS3, Xbox current and next gen. It will also work with PC.

Duskguy
02-28-2013, 02:50 PM
I am on PS3 and I use a Turtlebeach P11 and they were like 50-60 at Gamestop, somewhat pricy but I have been using em for a few years and they work wonders on both the PS3 and PC.

i got the x12 for the same price about a year and a half ago, i believe they are up to x14 now lol.

anyway, i have these headphones hooked up to the tv/xbox and pc all at once.

hook PC and xbox to the TV and run the headsets off the TV's USB and sound slots. needed no new wires other than what the headphones came with and i get quality headphones and a mic for any games i play. they have a chat volume, a game sound volume and a bass boost volume control. the chat volume on the PC tends to be linked to the game volume as you can simply change program volumes, but it worked perfectly fine on xbox chat.

Chafour the Great
02-28-2013, 03:26 PM
i got the x12 for the same price about a year and a half ago, i believe they are up to x14 now lol.

anyway, i have these headphones hooked up to the tv/xbox and pc all at once.

hook PC and xbox to the TV and run the headsets off the TV's USB and sound slots. needed no new wires other than what the headphones came with and i get quality headphones and a mic for any games i play. they have a chat volume, a game sound volume and a bass boost volume control. the chat volume on the PC tends to be linked to the game volume as you can simply change program volumes, but it worked perfectly fine on xbox chat.

IM also using this same headset ..it gets the job done. The one thing i hated about wireless was that they seemed to go dead when i needed it the most.

Buruko
02-28-2013, 05:37 PM
EA announced that both PS4 and the Next Xbox are both not backwards compatible about 10 days ago

Yea, but that is not from MS (Sony has already said as much) and they still have time/room to change that decision.

OcelotKharn
02-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Yea, but that is not from MS (Sony has already said as much) and they still have time/room to change that decision.

Games Developers get more notice than we do and to be fair Id take EA's word for it because they have just signed a new content deal with Microsoft. Microsoft themselves have said the days of backwards compatibility are dead and gone thats why they have an on demand download service.

Buruko
02-28-2013, 05:44 PM
After extensive review viewing, and some convos with folks I'm going to spring for the Tritton Warhead 7.1, I have a ton of 2.4 ghz signals in the house and the 5.8 ghz range they use will be a big relief for myself as far as more signal noise in the house.

Plus I found an Amazon Warehouse deal for $180, can't beat that.

ryanoliver56
02-28-2013, 05:46 PM

Doubtful that EA would announce something that is not certain but its possible...

Buruko
02-28-2013, 05:47 PM
Games Developers get more notice than we do and to be fair Id take EA's word for it because they have just signed a new content deal with Microsoft. Microsoft themselves have said the days of backwards compatibility are dead and gone thats why they have an on demand download service.

Sure, but that means even the OnDemand content would not be compatible unless re-developed for the new platform, a la Fable for 360. So not being backwards compatible basically means that the entire 360 game library (online and disc) if defunct with a new console launch. That's a lot of games just tossed away... sad.

OcelotKharn
02-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Sure, but that means even the OnDemand content would not be compatible unless re-developed for the new platform, a la Fable for 360. So not being backwards compatible basically means that the entire 360 game library (online and disc) if defunct with a new console launch. That's a lot of games just tossed away... sad.

The On Demand games are a different format than it is on a disc thats why so many old games were put on demand on the 360. Although theres one thing, the little patch you could manually install from the xbox website that allowed backwards compatability. That said Microsoft probably wont do that again because they love making money.

OcelotKharn
02-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Dont get me wrong Im not qualified to say for sure as there are many different sources say yes to backward compatibility and others say now personally I hope it is because yes it would be a waste of money, but it seems odd of EA to make an official statement and the its wrong.

lutheran
04-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Got the Warheads sound great to me:P

Deirachel
04-20-2013, 08:11 PM

Because EA is known for the reliability of their statements/actions ("We are fully ready to handle the SimCity launch" ring a bell). Not saying that statement is wrong, per se, but I will be waiting on something from Microsoft before I believe anything on the stats of their next console.

Back to the subject at hand, I use the Afterglow AGU.1S.

Pros:

Good sound
Clean voice
VERY strong mic (it will pick up everything in the room.)
Rechargeable (and can be used while recharging via USB cable, I use a power plug USB converter) with a good 6 hour life.
Only need wire to the controller (Xbox)
Usable with EVERYTHING (Xbox, PS3, Wii/WiiU, Computer, Cellphone and Housephone via two-way included standard microjack)
Cool light-up effects

Cons:

if you have a larger head and ears (my head is 24.5in around, 16in from ear canal to opposite over the top of my head, 2.5in long ears), it can get uncomfortable after a long time (a couple of hours).
The volume controls (two one general one balance between Xbox party chat and game volume) are both smooth and have no way of knowing what the volume is set at when you put them on.