PDA

View Full Version : LFG - Public Groups and Instant Adventure. Whats your thoughts?

Disdain
10-10-2012, 12:18 AM
What type of LFG system would you like to see implemented?

I personally enjoyed the Public grouping system used in Rift, where you would come across a Group by chance and if it was an open group and had spaces, you had a pop up display asking if you would like to join you could also look for these in the group options if you were looking for adventure. This would I believe work in tandem for the Arkfall events planned for Defiance.

They also had an option of Instant adventure grouping, click on the IA icon and be almost immediately zoned to a party tackling group events. This was the easiest and by far the quickest way to gain the last few levels to the cap, however it was only available to the last few levels. I would love to see this implemented to the lower levels in defiance. The casual player then, can get straight into action without the need for deliberate planning and trawling it usually takes.

Any other ideas welcomed.

Iniriba
10-13-2012, 12:27 AM
I never had the chance to play RIFT but my husband did. He loved it. I like the idea of auto invite if there is room. It keeps things fluid IMO.

Moth
10-13-2012, 06:03 AM
I played Rift beta as well as the main game. I liked the groupfinders a lot. They make it incredibly easy to get a group and progress through content.

My only gripe with them is their antisocial nature. As an example, I played WoW off and on from vanilla through to cata. In the early days, there was no LFG tool. This forced the server to become slightly more close knit. Players would befriend good players so they could group with them again. They kept in contact with eachother all the time, creating a server where there was so many small networks of friends.

After the LFG tool was brought in, It became easier to get groups but it also ruined the social aspect of the game. You no longer needed to talk to anyone. The people you grouped up with one day, you would never meet with again. You could ninja loot, You could be a rubbish player and still get groups.

Last time I logged in to WoW, I knew the people in my guild and people in an old guild. That was all. Back in vanilla, i knew at least half the server population of max lvl players. I'd grouped with a lot of them and were friends with most of those.

Overall, It is my opinion that a LFG tool is very important in this day and age of mmo gaming, but the social aspect of a server population genuinely suffers from their use.

Disdain
10-13-2012, 07:28 AM
I played Rift beta as well as the main game. I liked the groupfinders a lot. They make it incredibly easy to get a group and progress through content.

My only gripe with them is their antisocial nature. As an example, I played WoW off and on from vanilla through to cata. In the early days, there was no LFG tool. This forced the server to become slightly more close knit. Players would befriend good players so they could group with them again. They kept in contact with eachother all the time, creating a server where there was so many small networks of friends.

After the LFG tool was brought in, It became easier to get groups but it also ruined the social aspect of the game. You no longer needed to talk to anyone. The people you grouped up with one day, you would never meet with again. You could ninja loot, You could be a rubbish player and still get groups.

Last time I logged in to WoW, I knew the people in my guild and people in an old guild. That was all. Back in vanilla, i knew at least half the server population of max lvl players. I'd grouped with a lot of them and were friends with most of those.

Overall, It is my opinion that a LFG tool is very important in this day and age of mmo gaming, but the social aspect of a server population genuinely suffers from their use.

I played WoW since vanilla, so I know what you mean. I donít think LFG tool ruined the social aspects of the game. You donít have to use the tool, you can do as you have done previously and just group with your friends, with ninjaís you could choose to lead a grp and use master looter (though most ninjaís these days do just that), it was more of an option for casual players, so they could do something with their limited time ingame. The game seems less social these days cause its no longer a collective of tight knit groups of players numbering in the low millions. Itís now a genre for the masses as more and more turn to MMOís

I think this is an unfortunate trend thatís not likely to change. As long as you remain true to your roots, I canít see it spoiling any aspect of your game.