PDA

View Full Version : Skilled PvP Play w/o Shotguns/Infestors/Cloak IS Possible

RoamerKill
04-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Hi All,

I wanted to share with the community that there are other options out there when it comes to PvP instead of your standard Shotgun/Infestor/Cloak builds. I agree with most that this combo is very powerful however its weakness is medium to long range and if you can create distance, a skilled player will always win.

My current PvP set up is using a Sniper (VOT Bolter) for medium to long range head shots, Flare Pistol (+4 Mag) for short range to counter shotgunners, and Blur to create distance.

The flare pistol offers players to hit skilled arcing head shots that devastate anyone in short range. I feel that this combo is geared to a more skilled player and I believe that it will dominate most shotgunners at this stage of the game.

Below is a short video of one shadow war that was played by this set up. I was able to lock down B and then C for most of the entire match, racking 27 kills, 6 assists and only 5 deaths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0NxDjxg738

My apologizes for the video quality as it was taken from a stream. If you want to catch live action and ask questions please visit www.twitch.tv/haloth. We will try to stream nightly from 7PM EST - 12 AM EST.

Please feel free to ask questions, make comments, or flame.

Thanks!
-RoamerKill

#ABF

Kheta
04-09-2013, 12:35 AM
jumping + explosive projectile weapons at closed range = skilled pvp play ?

lol

Honved
04-09-2013, 12:50 AM
Wait not using cloak, shotguns, or infestors wasn't possible?!?!!? If only I have been playing with my blur user who has ar's and lmg's equipped! Oh....Wait....

Btw Kheta you win an internet for your amusing and sarcastic reply. I wholly approve.

RoamerKill
04-09-2013, 04:49 AM
jumping + explosive projectile weapons at closed range = skilled pvp play ?

lol

From my perspective it is a lot more skilled than cloaking/shotguns, Flare Gun radius on explosion is very small and requires direct hits. Getting skilled and hitting headshots with the Flare Gun makes it even better. Just an overall counter to the roll your face on the keyboard and shotgun people in the back.

Honved - Congrats on using weapons other than shotguns/infestors. You might be one of the 10% of people in this game that don't. Just hope you are good at it... otherwise its not much 'playing' when you get your ***** pounded.

Thanks!
-RoamerKill

#ABF

Honved
04-09-2013, 10:05 AM
From my perspective it is a lot more skilled than cloaking/shotguns, Flare Gun radius on explosion is very small and requires direct hits. Getting skilled and hitting headshots with the Flare Gun makes it even better. Just an overall counter to the roll your face on the keyboard and shotgun people in the back.

Honved - Congrats on using weapons other than shotguns/infestors. You might be one of the 10% of people in this game that don't. Just hope you are good at it... otherwise its not much 'playing' when you get your ***** pounded.

Thanks!
-RoamerKill

#ABF

Yep, my best with that toon is 30-5, honestly there isn't anything wrong with pvp. I can see people looking back in 2-3 months and laughing at our threads lol.

RoamerKill
04-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Yep, my best with that toon is 30-5, honestly there isn't anything wrong with pvp. I can see people looking back in 2-3 months and laughing at our threads lol.

Nice! I don't think there is much wrong with pvp at the moment in regards to balancing. There are obvious issues with pursuits and the competitive PVP, but the balancing is fine. There will always be "easy" mode options in FPS games but can be countered by good players.

MosesOfWar
04-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Nice! I don't think there is much wrong with pvp at the moment in regards to balancing. There are obvious issues with pursuits and the competitive PVP, but the balancing is fine. There will always be "easy" mode options in FPS games but can be countered by good players.

There's no "easy" mode necessarily in Defiance, just specialization that play very well for whats going on in PvP right now. People are specialized for killing new, unaware players that try to run solo with Overcharge. Or run a PvE setup, expecting it to have the same effect against PCs. People are speccing Shotgun/Cloak because so many people run around, away from their teammates and shotgun/cloak is VERY EFFECTIVE against stranglers... As it should be.. If the team stuck together and communicated, as any group in an RPG should (and I feel like many people are overlooking the fact that this game is very much an RPG AND a shooter), cloak is rendered useless.. Outside of sniping.. Look at shadow wars, where "teams" have to "work together" to hold objectives.

EDIT: This could just be an issue with only having TDM as a gametype.

Honved
04-09-2013, 11:19 AM
There's no "easy" mode necessarily in Defiance, just specialization that play very well for whats going on in PvP right now. People are specialized for killing new, unaware players that try to run solo with Overcharge. Or run a PvE setup, expecting it to have the same effect against PCs. People are speccing Shotgun/Cloak because so many people run around, away from their teammates and shotgun/cloak is VERY EFFECTIVE against stranglers... As it should be.. If the team stuck together and communicated, as any group in an RPG should (and I feel like many people are overlooking the fact that this game is very much an RPG AND a shooter), cloak is rendered useless.. Outside of sniping.. Look at shadow wars, where "teams" have to "work together" to hold objectives.

EDIT: This could just be an issue with only having TDM as a gametype.

You continue to impress and restore my faith, you win 2 internets.

In all seriousness you are right and I support what you say completely.

RoamerKill
04-09-2013, 01:59 PM
I do think it is more than just a game type.

I agree that Waterfront is completely overran by shotgunners just due to the fact there are so many objects/crates, however that was how the map was designed, observatory is another story as it has close quarter combat but also offers open areas to do medium / long range assaults.

In short, Shotgun/Cloak offers less skilled players to 'aim' and make kills, however in the long, like you said, will never be able to defend a point in shadow wars or last more than their initial burst when attacking. It is an all in move that can be countered. Unfortunately "team" play is not much encouraged at this point due to the limiting size of parties and voice options.

My post and view point is to try to show other players (that don't want to shotgun) that there is viability in other weapons/ego in PvP.

MosesOfWar
04-09-2013, 02:09 PM
I do think it is more than just a game type.

I agree that Waterfront is completely overran by shotgunners just due to the fact there are so many objects/crates, however that was how the map was designed, observatory is another story as it has close quarter combat but also offers open areas to do medium / long range assaults.

In short, Shotgun/Cloak offers less skilled players to 'aim' and make kills, however in the long, like you said, will never be able to defend a point in shadow wars or last more than their initial burst when attacking. It is an all in move that can be countered. Unfortunately "team" play is not much encouraged at this point due to the limiting size of parties and voice options.

My post and view point is to try to show other players (that don't want to shotgun) that there is viability in other weapons/ego in PvP.

Team play on Xbox is by creating a out of game party. Teamplay on PC would have to be created using an outside of game source, such as Skype/TS. PS3 is SoL I think... Until the voice option is fixed..

I've seen plenty of other PvP options work, but players get frustrated with one or two bad matches and think the only option is to cloak shotty. Metagame is going to fluxuate to what's working the most. Advanced Metagamers are going to find effective builds, people will mimic and use them.

People just like using Stealth when given the option.... How many friggen Rogues were there in World of Warcraft... The style of play is going to fade, because ultimately as clans form, and people start playing with each other, Cloak Shotgunning is only going to be effective at backdooring the enemy.. and it will be very difficult for them to Backdoor and get away alive, without teamwork.

Plenty of builds have been posted. Blur Shotgun, Blur LMG, Blur Infector, Full Defense Decoy/BMG/Infector.. Overcharge Sniper.. You can put out some brutal damage using a Sniper setup with Cloak (Bolt Action) or Overcharge (Auto Sniper).

Honved
04-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Team play on Xbox is by creating a out of game party. Teamplay on PC would have to be created using an outside of game source, such as Skype/TS. PS3 is SoL I think... Until the voice option is fixed..

I've seen plenty of other PvP options work, but players get frustrated with one or two bad matches and think the only option is to cloak shotty. Metagame is going to fluxuate to what's working the most. Advanced Metagamers are going to find effective builds, people will mimic and use them.

People just like using Stealth when given the option.... How many friggen Rogues were there in World of Warcraft... The style of play is going to fade, because ultimately as clans form, and people start playing with each other, Cloak Shotgunning is only going to be effective at backdooring the enemy.. and it will be very difficult for them to Backdoor and get away alive, without teamwork.

Plenty of builds have been posted. Blur Shotgun, Blur LMG, Blur Infector, Full Defense Decoy/BMG/Infector.. Overcharge Sniper.. You can put out some brutal damage using a Sniper setup with Cloak (Bolt Action) or Overcharge (Auto Sniper).

My clan on ps3 are using Skype to communicate lol. It is more difficult, but worth it!

Kroktar
04-09-2013, 02:33 PM
its shadow war...of course you are gonna do it better with sniper...