PDA

View Full Version : XBOX Chatpad

Renegade Snarf
03-01-2013, 11:27 AM
From what i have found they have not done an xbox beta yet but my question is to the pc people who have played the beta. how important was your keyboard for comm? and will a chatpad be a good thing to purchase before game??

SweetMadness
03-01-2013, 11:51 AM
That's not really a fair comparison. Consoles were built around voice chat because of the lack of keyboard, most PC games don't usually have voice chat servers built in game. WoW didn't have one 'til the near end of Burning Crusades. So I'm sure for them the keyboard was more important than it is/will be for console gamers.

Nervusbreakdown
03-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Chatpad for xbox 360 will work

Shadow2400
03-01-2013, 12:35 PM
It will work, but like the others said why not just use the local voice chat/xbox live parties?

Akado
03-01-2013, 01:17 PM
I believe they've said there is also keyboard support for consoles.

Desidus
03-01-2013, 01:30 PM
I believe they've said there is also keyboard support for consoles.

now all they have to add is mouse support and I am stoked 400%...

RoganTheGypo
03-01-2013, 01:36 PM
I believe they've said there is also keyboard support for consoles.Yes, this was confirmed in the IGN vid.
Xbox/ps3 have supported keyboards for some time now, its simply plug one in and you can use it in search fields in youtube for example instead of the pad.

Also, ps3/xbox mouse support isn't strictly supported but there are rather expensive devices that can help achive keyboard/mouse support.

Renegade Snarf
03-01-2013, 01:41 PM
i was just thinking if they had macros that you could asign to the chat pad so when i press 1 on my chat pad it switches my shotgun for a sniper rifel.

Shadow2400
03-01-2013, 02:17 PM
i was just thinking if they had macros that you could asign to the chat pad so when i press 1 on my chat pad it switches my shotgun for a sniper rifel.

oooo... I like this. I like this a lot. I shall appropriate this idea as my own! Mwahahaha :D

iiReLaX o
03-01-2013, 02:22 PM
I mean just find a old dusty USB keyboard and plug it in. It will work, but playing a shooter MMO with a chatpad would be pretty difficult don't you think? And it would be tedious to unplug and plug it back in when you want to chat.

D351
03-01-2013, 02:23 PM
That would make loadout changing and stuff like that pretty smooth...

Renegade Snarf
03-01-2013, 02:46 PM
i play black ops and gears 3 all the time with my chat pad plugged in.

Desidus
03-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Yes, this was confirmed in the IGN vid.
Xbox/ps3 have supported keyboards for some time now, its simply plug one in and you can use it in search fields in youtube for example instead of the pad.

Also, ps3/xbox mouse support isn't strictly supported but there are rather expensive devices that can help achive keyboard/mouse support.

Meh, if the game isn't designed to play with a mouse I won't... but I hope it is designed to.

A s0t
03-01-2013, 04:07 PM
the only game i played on xbox 360 that uses the chat pad in game was Quarrel. are there any other games that use the chat pad?
i use it mostly for chatting with my deaf friends.
it is better than the saucer section of the NCC-1701b of a chat pad that is ps3

Nervusbreakdown
03-01-2013, 04:10 PM
I mean just find a old dusty USB keyboard and plug it in. It will work, but playing a shooter MMO with a chatpad would be pretty difficult don't you think? And it would be tedious to unplug and plug it back in when you want to chat.

chatpad was made to attach to your controller, and you can put the mic with the chatpad and everything runs like butter, keyboard is a waste

Nervusbreakdown
03-01-2013, 04:11 PM
the only game i played on xbox 360 that uses the chat pad in game was Quarrel. are there any other games that use the chat pad?
i use it mostly for chatting with my deaf friends.
it is better than the saucer section of the NCC-1701b of a chat pad that is ps3

i use it for final fantasy XI on the xbox 360, works like a charm

D351
03-01-2013, 04:13 PM
keyboard is a waste

Unless a usb mouse works too...

Desidus
03-01-2013, 04:21 PM
tiny little keyboard vs full size keyboard with all the keys... definitely going to pick the latter...

A s0t
03-01-2013, 04:25 PM
the xbox 360 chat pad adds a little weight to the controller, it doesn't feel as fragile as a ps3 controller

Desidus
03-01-2013, 04:27 PM
the xbox 360 chat pad adds a little weight to the controller, it doesn't feel as fragile as a ps3 controller

New PS3 controllers are heavier.. not sure why but they are. (not that I care what you think about a ps3 controller just thought that was interesting)

D351
03-01-2013, 04:30 PM

Word... a heavy controller is more comfortable... I remember the really old school playstation controllers with no analog sticks... They felt like oragami. Newer controllers aren't as bad, but the old ones serve as a good example of why weight is good. I like my chatpad... mostly because typing with the controller is a big pain otherwise, but also because the added weight is nice.

Komakala
03-02-2013, 12:11 AM

Or just push one of the directions on the gamepad to swap weapons? The D-Pad tends to be the norm in most shooters or tap Y/Triangle to swap between primary and secondary.

DeafAtheist
03-03-2013, 02:03 PM
chatpad was made to attach to your controller, and you can put the mic with the chatpad and everything runs like butter, keyboard is a waste

Indeed. It would be a pain in the *** to switch between controller and keyboard. The chatpad on Xbox is well-designed so it works really well for quick texting. The PS3's chatpad is a POS though... tiny buttons, awkward to type on being positioned on top of the controller rather than the bottom. So for my PS3 I junked the POS and I plug in my PC's keyboard for texting. Switching between controller and keyboard for the PS3 sucks, but it's still better than using that gawdawful chatpad.

As a deaf gamer I need something for texting since I am unable to rely on a mic and headset for communication.

DJBlaze
03-03-2013, 02:33 PM
if you want to have the keyboard mouse option just get the PC version instead. they will most likely use same setup as most of the shooter games out at the moment.