PDA

View Full Version : TV show and International audience among game subscribers.

Moth
10-10-2012, 01:06 PM
I've been thinking about this pairing of TV and MMO gaming. It seems like a pretty cool idea. Use the TV show for extra immersion in the online world and the online world to drive the story of the TV show etc. Very interesting idea. There are so many stories out there on the internet of gamers who have been such an integral part of their game / server / guild that game devs have coded in memorials to those players. Be they in the shape of in game items, NPCs or even just monuments in a town or something. Players have in the past been given recognition for feats above and beyond those of most normal players.

Carrying on this trend, I think it is possible for incredibly outstanding players to be given mentions in the TV show. IMO, I think that it is inevitable that there will eventually be a crossover of in game players in the TV show. The game will eventually have to go from it's home city of San Francisco to St Louis, and the TV show will no doubt have to go from St Louis back to SF for some mission or other.

This is all good and well, it creates a lot of depth and gives players a real feel of being a part of the flow of the whole story development process. However, quite a number of international gamers don't have access to the syfy channel. Therefore, no access to the TV show. The only way players will be able to get access to the show is to either pirate it (which no doubt the show producers don't want), or wait until the show comes out in their own country. This leads to people being behind the story while still being part of the story (If that makes any sense). Say for example something happens in the game: some object or alien or something is kidnapped or stolen and players need to band together to retrieve it for the common good. The mmo players will be a part of the event at the time. Then 6-12 months later they can watch the same events on their delayed TV show and think to themselves "ohhh, I remember back when we did that in the game. That was pretty cool"

I guess my question is this; Will there be some way of legally viewing the TV show online in time with current episode release times/dates?

I'm thinking something along the lines of Netflix, but not on a subscription plan. Players of the MMO world obviously want to be a part of the story or else they wouldn't be playing. So to give game players access to the TV show, will there be a website where players of the game can (for example; Type in their game product registration code and) be given access to online streams of the episodes as ther comes out?

Disdain
10-11-2012, 01:54 AM
A very valid point well made, I have been wondering about the integration of TV show and MMO, The only way I can think of that would allow all players to see the episode is if they were linked to the game itself. What I mean is uploaded to the defiance official home page and viewable by submitting your account details, or something similar. Basically allowing all players that have signed up for Defiance being able to view the content.

I guess weíll see what happens when the release comes, fingers crossed weíll all be able to access show and game.

Shadinaxx
10-11-2012, 02:11 AM
there isnt a syfychannel.com that you can watch "on demand" sort of thing? This could definately pose a real hiccup if the mass media networks want to control the flow of the releases and delay them into other countries, but I'm suree there will be a workaround using webcasting or streaming media.

Escyos
10-11-2012, 02:58 AM
These days there are a lot of ways to view content online - Hulu for example, however it is only for the US. The problem is that certain countries have certain laws about shows with classification ratings etc and so you can't offer it for everyone because it may cause an international incident.

Syfy has channels in most countries so I assume they will disseminate it thusly as well as allowing for downloads on iTunes etc.

Disdain
10-11-2012, 03:35 AM
I cant see it being available on iTunes, well perhaps but only like 6 months after the event has taken place and at a price that would drive you to piracy. I believe linking the episode to your Trion/Defiance account would be the simplest and most viable option. A Similar thing to WoW and Blizzcon Live webcast. Otherwise there will be players in certain areaís that will never see the episode due to restrictions in TV licensing. The other option Is linking it to say the Client application as an update that downloads slow time in the background (possibly days in advance) whilst playing, that become available to watch at a predefined server time based on your geographical location, that way EU players donít have to stay up till the am to participate.

Siantlark
10-11-2012, 06:07 PM
They could integrate the show into the game itself. Have TV scattered around towns that a player could just sit in front of choose the Season and Episode. The game world would go away and they'd be able to watch it like they were watching Netflix or something similar. Dunno how hard that would be to implement though.

Disdain
10-11-2012, 11:45 PM
They could integrate the show into the game itself. Have TV scattered around towns that a player could just sit in front of choose the Season and Episode. The game world would go away and they'd be able to watch it like they were watching Netflix or something similar. Dunno how hard that would be to implement though.

I can see your thinking but that would be like watching yourself on TV, I think the idea behind the game/show integration is the large events that happen in the show happen concurrently within the game, at least thatís how Iíve come to understand it, So youíll be watching the show while playing the game albeit just hanging around town w8n for something to happen within the show, then the mother of all arkfalls happen in the show, then the town sirens start going off in game warning you of the same.

The only problem I see with this is that youíll be so engrossed in the either the game/show, that youíll miss out on the other.

So to solve this they might place the events in game 30-45 minutes behind the actual show itself. Itís a hard one to guess at with the limited information available.

We could really do with one of the Dev team slipping us a bit of info, though Iím sure that will come with time.

All we can do is hurry up and wait.

Zann
10-12-2012, 02:20 PM
For our international fans, now would be a good time to mention that Defiance just got picked up for broadcasting in Canada (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mipcom-2012-syfy-defiance-canada-377389).

As we grow into more regions, we'll keep you updated. :)

Jenbuu
10-12-2012, 06:12 PM
For our international fans, now would be a good time to mention that Defiance just got picked up for broadcasting in Canada (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mipcom-2012-syfy-defiance-canada-377389).

awesome news that :)

Disdain
10-13-2012, 02:52 AM

Well as good news that might be for Canada, SyFy is only available to UK viewers if they have purchased SKY cable TV, the package that includes SyFy I think is about £30+ a month. What options have been considered for those that donít have access to the SyFy channel?

Iím more than willing to Pay 11.99 (or whatever) subs to play Defiance but to pay in the region £40+ (to include the SyFy channel) a month is a tad steep.

So to have the interconnect between Game and show, UK players are expected to pay £503.00 a year?!?

Moth
10-13-2012, 05:39 AM
Well as good news that might be for Canada, SyFy is only available to UK viewers if they have purchased SKY cable TV, the package that includes SyFy I think is about £30+ a month. What options have been considered for those that donít have access to the SyFy channel?

Iím more than willing to Pay 11.99 (or whatever) subs to play Defiance but to pay in the region £40+ (to include the SyFy channel) a month is a tad steep.

So to have the interconnect between Game and show, UK players are expected to pay £503.00 a year?!?

That's what I was worried about as well. I don't watch TV as it is. I don't really want to have to pay all that extra crash for something I'd use once a week for an hour.

Disdain
10-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Hey Moth, Iím sure itís more than just you and me that are concerned about this. Iím not entirely sure how the TV markets in the US work or how TV channels generate their income. In the UK we pay a nominal fee of something like £120 a year just to use a TV, regardless if you even receive a signal. If itís plugged in and you receive static, you should pay, that fee covers the BBC channels, other channels generate their income by advertising.

I cant see why Trion cant use a webcast facility or something else that allows us to access the show.

Time will tell I guess.

I know that if my only option is to buy SKY TV, i'll be quite annoyed.

Moth
10-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Yea, I pay my TV tax. My flatmates have the benefit of it. I think we have virgin tv or something. It has some sports channels anyway.

Only thing we can do is wait see.

Disdain
10-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Yea, I pay my TV tax. My flatmates have the benefit of it. I think we have virgin tv or something. It has some sports channels anyway.

Only thing we can do is wait see.

Maybe if we make enough noise about it they will be forced to consider other options for us and people like us :)

Iniriba
10-14-2012, 02:22 AM
I think the guys saying there should be some kind of integration with the player account and being able to view the show is the most practical way to do it. Like WoW has battle net that links the various Blizzard games, Trion may think of doing an 'on-demand' section that will allow players to watch the show through their game account without any 'extra' fees involved beyond the monthly subscription. It would not need to be 'in game' so much as a separate section of the website, like a store. I can't imagine they would make the game available in a place where the show was not also available, after all that seems to be the big advertising hype for Defiance that the two are integrated.

Disdain
10-14-2012, 02:38 AM
Well that latest is that Defiance will be a hybrid business model, What that basically means is youíll pay initially for the game itself, but there will be no monthly subscription, instead they will sell other in game digital purchases.

So essentially what they could do now is have a TV on demand service linked ingame so people who donít have access to the SyFy network can still view the TV series on demand at a small cost per episode like itunes.

I have no idea if they plan on implementing this, but it would be a nice to consider those of us who donít have Cable/SKY TV

princehadow
10-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Maybe there will be special podcasts for events

Disdain
10-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Maybe there will be special podcasts for events

I think your missing the point here mate, they are talking about the show integrating with the game, and unless they make the show available to the entire player base, they are not delivering on that aspect of the game and vice versa.

Escyos
10-15-2012, 01:35 AM
I think your missing the point here mate, they are talking about the show integrating with the game, and unless they make the show available to the entire player base, they are not delivering on that aspect of the game and vice versa.

They designed it so you can either watch or play or do both. I doubt that playing the game will give away details of the show or watching the show will help you in the game. As i said somewhere before most countries would allow games but restrict tv shows and if you can watch in game then they may ban the game, so its easier to separate them.

Disdain
10-15-2012, 02:55 AM
They designed it so you can either watch or play or do both. I doubt that playing the game will give away details of the show or watching the show will help you in the game. As i said somewhere before most countries would allow games but restrict tv shows and if you can watch in game then they may ban the game, so its easier to separate them.

They have already stated that certain occurrences that happen in the show will happen in the game, and that players that rise above the parapet will have their character referenced in the show. This is the interaction between both Iíve stated, but it means nothing if the player base does not have the same opportunity to view the content. Understandably certain countries will not show the TV show based on their Law/culture. This is indeed unfortunate for them, but they should provide the ability to view the content for all those players where Law/culture is not an issue.
The difference here is Can not / will not. If itís a case of will not, then Iím pretty sure there will be a lot of European viewers who will feel quite badly let down, I count myself as one.

Escyos
10-15-2012, 03:24 AM
They have already stated that certain occurrences that happen in the show will happen in the game, and that players that rise above the parapet will have their character referenced in the show. This is the interaction between both I’ve stated, but it means nothing if the player base does not have the same opportunity to view the content. Understandably certain countries will not show the TV show based on their Law/culture. This is indeed unfortunate for them, but they should provide the ability to view the content for all those players where Law/culture is not an issue.
The difference here is Can not / will not. If it’s a case of will not, then I’m pretty sure there will be a lot of European viewers who will feel quite badly let down, I count myself as one.

They referenced some minor things like a disease passing through both but they never intended to rely on each other for anything. Games and TV shows have different ratings systems and may not be compatible.

Syfy is not willing to let the show go for free - you'd have to pay to be able to watch, even if you pay for the game.

Disdain
10-15-2012, 03:35 AM
They referenced some minor things like a disease passing through both but they never intended to rely on each other for anything. Games and TV shows have different ratings systems and may not be compatible.

Syfy is not willing to let the show go for free - you'd have to pay to be able to watch, even if you pay for the game.

Iím happy to pay for the show per episode/series either linked to the Game/account or not, My grievance is how they intend to provide it. Iím not going to pay for Cable/SKY TV to gain access to a single channel to the tune of +£500 for the year, would you? If they do however provide a pay per view or pay webcast facility like Blizzard manages with the Blizzcon events, then Iíll be more than happy to oblige.

Do you consider this to be an unreasonable request :confused:

Escyos
10-15-2012, 07:07 AM
I’m happy to pay for the show per episode/series either linked to the Game/account or not, My grievance is how they intend to provide it. I’m not going to pay for Cable/SKY TV to gain access to a single channel to the tune of +£500 for the year, would you? If they do however provide a pay per view or pay webcast facility like Blizzard manages with the Blizzcon events, then I’ll be more than happy to oblige.

Do you consider this to be an unreasonable request :confused:

History would tell us that pay per view etc is not an option, however as Defiance is the first of its kind, there may be such a function. But you have two companies - Syfy and Trion who are working on separate medias and as far as we know the only connection (besides the obvious) is a few events/characters.

They probably thought of that, realizing that they could increase viewership and play by allowing it but as I said history tells us otherwise. Probably best to ask one of the mods or wait for a fan-question interview with someone.

Disdain
10-15-2012, 07:29 AM
History would tell us that pay per view etc is not an option, however as Defiance is the first of its kind, there may be such a function. But you have two companies - Syfy and Trion who are working on separate medias and as far as we know the only connection (besides the obvious) is a few events/characters.

They probably thought of that, realizing that they could increase viewership and play by allowing it but as I said history tells us otherwise. Probably best to ask one of the mods or wait for a fan-question interview with someone.

Well itís something that Iím sure will be clarified prior to release. It wont stop me playing the game, though I think it will dampen my spirits.

Medullan
10-15-2012, 12:01 PM
I think this may be a perfect opportunity for syfy to implement something that has been missing from the media since napster... AN OFFICIAL .torrent release. This official file share release could be released online in file sharing communities at the same time the show starts and should include clickable advertisements. There is a huge amount of "lost revenue" that has as of yet been untapped in the file sharing community this could be a veritable gold mine of advertising dollars. Especially if integrated into the game and online account. As a "pirate" an individual could register in game as a pirate and gain in game abilities only available to pirates as well as be at a disadvantage in other ways (in game rewards for bounty hunters when they pvp a pirate etc). You add to this an option to enter a code embedded in the official .torrent release on your user account for some sort of "pirate gold" and now all of a sudden not only are we targeting advertising to an untouched group but we have a new way to track more accurately the number of viewers. Now I understand this is a very basic outline of a theory that may have implications I have not considered but imagine the possibilities. And considering the way this particular bit of media gold is being implemented it may very well be the perfect opportunity to implement such a radical idea!

Disdain
10-15-2012, 09:31 PM
I think this may be a perfect opportunity for syfy to implement something that has been missing from the media since napster... AN OFFICIAL .torrent release. This official file share release could be released online in file sharing communities at the same time the show starts and should include clickable advertisements. There is a huge amount of "lost revenue" that has as of yet been untapped in the file sharing community this could be a veritable gold mine of advertising dollars. Especially if integrated into the game and online account. As a "pirate" an individual could register in game as a pirate and gain in game abilities only available to pirates as well as be at a disadvantage in other ways (in game rewards for bounty hunters when they pvp a pirate etc). You add to this an option to enter a code embedded in the official .torrent release on your user account for some sort of "pirate gold" and now all of a sudden not only are we targeting advertising to an untouched group but we have a new way to track more accurately the number of viewers. Now I understand this is a very basic outline of a theory that may have implications I have not considered but imagine the possibilities. And considering the way this particular bit of media gold is being implemented it may very well be the perfect opportunity to implement such a radical idea!
Advertisement is certainly a way to generate a large amount of income, though I really cant see it being used in such a manner, Your idea though, warrants merit. Though I hate adds at the most of time and have them in game, I for one would stop playing at that point.

Carnak
10-16-2012, 10:18 PM

I like the sound of that and it's just video streaming so it shouldn't be hugely difficult.

RexxDoom
10-16-2012, 10:53 PM
SyFy does show full episodes online for free streaming, plus with new app for 360, so I'm sure the groundwork will be there for fans to keep up for free on current episodes. They would have to, right?

Disdain
10-17-2012, 02:29 AM
Not 100% sure to be honest, at the end of the day itís all about the $$$, the corporation will always do whatís best for the corporation

Darktide
10-17-2012, 06:53 AM
What gets me is that the producers say that what happens in the game will have an effect on the tv show. How ? and would this not lead to a very uneven episode release.

Disdain
10-17-2012, 08:21 AM
What gets me is that the producers say that what happens in the game will have an effect on the tv show. How ? and would this not lead to a very uneven episode release.

Your thinking too short term, They said something along the lines that a few players who rise above all others may receive something along the lines of a mention within the show. They could include this towards the end of the season and leave it till a/or player/s have achieved something of note then could record it and add to an episode at predefined point.

They could also have a large event happen in game, record two possible episodes win/fail. Then depending on the outcome of the in game event, show which ever episode was required.

In the words of Quege ďOpen your mindĒ

Carnak
10-17-2012, 01:25 PM

Doesn't have to be simultaneous.

Eg. there could be a broken bridge like you can see at the top of the page. Players might be tasked with fighting off enemies and reconstructing it. Some time after they've accomplished this (maybe a season later) we might see the reconstructed bridge in the TV show.

Siantlark
10-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Basic assumption around the forums seems to be that on the off season things happening in the game will be mentioned during the show when it comes back on season and certain scripted events that happen during the game will afect the show based on whether or not we fail/suceed at those.

Arkamenitas
12-08-2012, 12:04 PM

this makes meh vurreh vurreh happeh!