PDA

View Full Version : PC Controller Options

RikanMel
03-02-2013, 08:01 AM
Hello everyone!

Im a console user/player (PS3) and Im kind of transitioning to PC. As you may already know Im struggling with the PC controls. I really want to get this game on PC and I would like to know if you guys are going to support console controller supportnon P for this game? Im assuming it could been done because this game its releasing to all platforms.

Hope you guys can answer this question since Im lookjng foward for this game on PC.

Thanks in advance!

mr2bitz
03-02-2013, 08:03 AM
yes controllers work...its a easy switch setting :)

Doz
03-02-2013, 08:29 AM
I use a N52TE
http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/03/01/belkin-n52te-review

There are many Hand keyboard controller for PC's. You may want to look at Razor

RikanMel
03-02-2013, 05:07 PM
yes controllers work...its a easy switch setting :)

Which controller did you used? I would like to use a PS3 controller since I'm a PS3 owner.

nitroz76
03-02-2013, 09:02 PM
You can just buy a wired 360 controller, plug it in, and play. It's pre-set for the game.

The only thing I need to do is invert the aim. :P

Dirasyajx
03-02-2013, 10:00 PM
I use a ps3 controller on my pc by using motionjoy telling it to emulate a 360 controller.you can plug it up by usb or if you have bluetooth on your pc use it wireless. & rumble even works!http://www.motioninjoy.com/ might need to be patient tho if your not computer savy

HatTrick
03-03-2013, 08:10 AM
You can do what you want, of course, but I will tell you that you should throw off the yoke that is the hand held controller and use the keyboard and mouse. Using a console controller to play a FPS game on a PC is like buying a Corvette and installing a 40mph speed governor on it.

Using a mouse to aim and pivot is light years more precise than using a controller. You're talking about a device with a very wide range of motion and where how fast you move your hand dictates how fast your reticle moves versus a tiny stick with a very small range of motion and variable rate of movement. There's a reason why console versions of shooters have aim assist. It's because the analog stick is not precise at all (relatively speaking.)

The keyboard also gives you a huge advantage over the controller. I've seen many console games that try to work around the limited number of buttons on the controller by having you hold down one of the top bumpers like it's a shift key. While that works, in practice it's a bit clunky to work with. With a keyboard, you have an abundance of 'buttons' to map things too; far more than you will generally need. There are even special gaming keyboards that give you more buttons within easy reach like this one (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/180?osid=13&bit=64). That gives you an additional 18 keys that can be pressed without moving your hand from the WASD keys. It's what I use but to be honest, I rarely use those keys to map things to since I got this mouse. (http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-naga) That mouse puts every key on the top row of your keyboard at your thumb. Add shift, ctrl and alt to the mix and you have 48 possible keymaps that don't require you to move your hand. That is so superior to a console controller it isn't funny.

So there's two devices that are extremely helpful to PC gaming. My advice would be to start with the gaming keyboard and get the mouse later. Learning to use that Naga is a bit disorienting even to someone that is 100% comfortable with using a mouse for gaming. It took me about a week before I felt comfortable with it but it is second nature now. I imagine for someone that is weening themselves off a controller, it would be a horrible experience trying to learn it. Well worth doing at some point though. Good luck.

edit: I should add that I do use a 360 controller for some games like the Assassin's creed series. Why? Well the UI for those games was made for a console controller and the keyboard/mouse UI is garbage. That is definitely the exception to the rule however.

iiReLaX o
03-03-2013, 08:16 AM
I use a N52TE
http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/03/01/belkin-n52te-review

There are many Hand keyboard controller for PC's. You may want to look at Razor

I play on Xbox but how do you even use that?

http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/article/856/856157/belkin-n52te-review-20080229041909075-000.jpg

HatTrick
03-03-2013, 08:37 AM
I play on Xbox but how do you even use that?

http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/article/856/856157/belkin-n52te-review-20080229041909075-000.jpg

The large round black thing on the lower right of the device is like a joystick for movement. The rectangular black button right below it is a toggle switch that changes between 3 different keymap configs. The buttons up top are mapped to whatever UI controls you want. The glowy blue thing above the joystick emulates a mouse wheel and the silver button is like the left mouse button.

I've used gamepads like this before but they have a couple major faults to me. The first, and biggest, is that they require you to move your hand away from your movement control (the joystick thingy) in order to type in chat. The second is size as I literally have no room for one of these on my desk beside my keyboard and oversize mouse mat.

MOnte
03-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Like most people say, a game pad can help drasticly. It puts a lot of the needed keys in one place and you map them to how you feel comfortable.

Though I have always found mouse/keyboard(gamepad) more accurate, but I grow up with it.

Wildbill
03-03-2013, 09:07 AM
I just plan on using my usb xbox 360 controller

Samson
03-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Any idea on the price range?

HatTrick
03-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Any idea on the price range?

For which? The gaming keyboard I linked runs about $85-90. The Razer Naga mouse is about $50-60 and a gamepad will run you that much, possibly a tad more.

Samson
03-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Thanks, I was thinking more along the lines of the Razer. I'll just have to look into which I prefer I guess.

Samson
03-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Great insight Hat Trick! Thanks for the input.

elquietone
03-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Hello everyone!

Im a console user/player (PS3) and Im kind of transitioning to PC. As you may already know Im struggling with the PC controls. I really want to get this game on PC and I would like to know if you guys are going to support console controller supportnon P for this game? Im assuming it could been done because this game its releasing to all platforms.

Hope you guys can answer this question since Im lookjng foward for this game on PC.

Thanks in advance!

Why do you plan to use a controller on PC?? Most PC gamers will quote that PC is far superior because of the mouse and keyboard setup, and therefore controllers suck(so they say). I'm not trying to start a flame war lol, but I'm a console gamer, if you plan to use a controller for PC, your technically just playing the console version on your computer. I can assure you the graphics are not more than 5% better on PC than consoles will be, and by chance consoles may have more people to play with. (specially, when dev's said its built with consoles in mind and that means engines)

Jangulorr
03-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Do we know if they are going to let the ps3 users use a keyboard and mouse? If so, are we going to be able to rekey the hotkeys?

I tried to play dust514 with the keyboard and mouse ... oh wow, it sucked beyond a belief. Why? There was no way to rekey the hotkeys ... didn't think I was even able to find a keyboard layout for it either. Its been a while since I touched the game due to that.

I am terrible with the controller on shooters. Surely I could kill myself 10x over on a pc vs my self on the ps3, however, I'd rather not upgrade my desktop ...

Thanks for any insight.

-Jang