PDA

View Full Version : Producer - 75-80% of show has nothing to do with the game

Vinticus
04-09-2013, 10:48 AM
We have been scammed:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/09/defiances-game-tv-crossover-is-disappointing

Jamesdanex
04-09-2013, 10:50 AM
We have been scammed:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/09/defiances-game-tv-crossover-is-disappointing

so 20-25% does? Im alright with that as long as both are good.

p.s. they had to make it able to stand on its own for the people that dont want to play the game.

BrutikusIV
04-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Wow... That's totally insane..

The article states everything it should as TV shows are Based on ratings. Its ties are deep enough for early relations of the video game but will remain loose enough that if it flops it doesn't have deep ties to Defiance's progression as a mmo. Pretty straight forward I think. They say they'll tie the two deeper together if the TV series is a HIT and LASTS. So...

WATCH THE TV SHOW!!!! LOL

ironhands
you expected it to be 100%?

the show is about ark hunters, human and irathient
the game is about ark hunters, human and irathient

should probably wait until an episode is actually aired before making any sort of judgement

it's impossible for the game to impact the show this early, because we haven't had time to do very much in the world.

had you read the article, you'd have seen where it was addressed that most of the impact will be in season 2, in the lull between the seasons when the writing is done and teh game is being played.

Agonist
We have been scammed:

Didn't you quit? Just lookin at your history, is your name Debbie?

Coraline
How much cross over could the show have between the game? They take place in two different states.
Does it really matter? They are both connected in some way or another.

Ikagawa
04-09-2013, 10:53 AM
I don't feel scammed, but I didn't really care about the show anyway :D

tijah
04-09-2013, 10:53 AM
this game and tv crossover concept is a bit new and dangerous road to be taken imo, of course it's safe to assume that they are going to tip toe when crossing this puddle .

Darnalak
04-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Really? Scammed? Someone hand the Troll an apple.

Munx
04-09-2013, 10:55 AM
We have been scammed:

Id says 20-25% being related to the game is pretty sizeable.. you have to remeber they are two seperate entities in the same universe, while they do and should tie together, you can't expect EVERYTHING in the show to be about the game and vice versa.

besides the 20-25% is first season, which won't be impacted by players actions as it has already been made, the next season on the other hand will react to what has happened in the game.

Facade
04-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Am I the only one who wouldn't care if 100% of the game had nothing to do with the show?

Coraline
04-09-2013, 10:56 AM
This is based on the first episode. Can you really put % into numbers of minutes? Does anyone really care how much is crossed over or has to do with the game? What we are playing now leads up to the show. The show airs, we get more content based around the episodes.

ThanatosPa
there was a dev thread somewhere that used a plague episode as an example where we had to get the stuff for the cure and an ICBM to get it to them. They said that the rocket would be in show with a brief thx guys kinda thing. That way we feel special for helping and those that dont play dont feel left out.

If someone knows where that thread is pls link it

Shima
It's going to need time before we see any significant cross over. They're going to want to see if the show sticks around more than a season before they commit to a ton of interplay back and forth. It has to take a ton of work to try to make the two play together.

KodiakX
Isn't the show on the other side of the country in St Louis?

What makes you think we'd have anything to do with the show considering we're in San Fran? lol...

...I swear you people buy too much into the hype and don't use your brains enough.

ironhands
04-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Am I the only one who wouldn't care if 100% of the game had nothing to do with the show?

they'll always have something to do with each other, same world, same occupations, who cares if they reference the game location specifically.

Beldhan
it's quite normal, the series take place at St Louis, when the game (for now) it's at san francisco.
after all:
- The distance between St Louis and San Francisco in a straight line is 1729 miles or 2781.96 Kilometers.

even with the dogde it will take a looooong time for get there.
more important we see the world from two viewpoint. the game and the series, that the crossover part of this. they are both in the same world and major event will affect each other at some point.

but the small event, like political action inside the city of defiance... will never get to the game... and i'm happy with this.

Ikagawa

No, since I already said I don't really care about the show. But since the game has been touted as intertwining with the show, it would be remiss (not to mention false advertising) for them not to tie the mediums together.

ironhands
04-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Isn't the show on the other side of the country in St Louis?

What makes you think we'd have anything to do with the show considering we're in San Fran? lol...

...I swear you people buy too much into the hype and don't use your brains enough.

yup. season 2 is supposed to be vegas though

ozymandiaz
the initiator of the thread doesn't even have an account in the game, what a moron lol

Ikagawa

Watch out for Caesar, he's a bastard.

Ashnon
04-09-2013, 11:00 AM
IGN puts a bad spin on it really. Think of it this way, 99.9% of what happens in one city has no effect on another irl. If 20% of what happens in old st. Louis effects what we see in san fran, then I say that is pretty major. I'd say 90% of what my own family does has no barring on my life. To expect much more that 20% from the show to effect the game is a little high.

Munx
04-09-2013, 11:00 AM

Im assuming you are trolling, I don't belive I would've missed such information :p

KodiakX
04-09-2013, 11:01 AM

Even then lets say it was shot in San Fran, they couldn't make the show accurate to the game. I mean there's more Ark Hunters than there are Raiders or Mutants at any given time. With the Ark Hunter army you'd literally run everything over and it'd all be non existent.

I mean the amount of Dark Matter I've butchered at this point is absurd let alone the 1000 99ers or endless Raiders. There's no way that'll ever translate into a TV show because it's absurdly unrealistic and you'd get no buy in.

Agonist
04-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Im assuming you are trolling, I don't belive I would've missed such information :p

Remember hearing that Vegas is a prison. Foreshadowing? Not sure where I heard it ... think it was ingame.

Munx
04-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Even then lets say it was shot in San Fran, they couldn't make the show accurate to the game. I mean there's more Ark Hunters than there are Raiders or Mutants at any given time. With the Ark Hunter army you'd literally run everything over and it'd all be non existent.

I mean the amount of Dark Matter I've butchered at this point is absurd let alone the 1000 99ers or endless Raiders. There's no way that'll ever translate into a TV show because it's absurdly unrealistic and you'd get no buy in.

The mayor of defiance should totally hire one of us, if we can handle thousands of enemies, we could single handedly do the job of nolan lmfao.

Ikagawa
04-09-2013, 11:05 AM
The mayor of defiance should totally hire one of us, if we can handle thousands of enemies, we could single handedly do the job of nolan lmfao.

Well during one of the main missions, I kept watching Irisa and Nolan get their ***** dropped while I mopped up. Useless bastard ;)

Clarkeh
04-09-2013, 11:06 AM
IGN knows jack schtako about this game and as far as anyone is concerned they have no idea what thier talking about, hell the TV series hasn't even launched yet.

TadeuChagas
04-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Maybe they are right only time will tell.

Dinova
04-09-2013, 11:11 AM
On the website it says:
Experience dynamic missions, massive co-op battles, and endless exploration across a gigantic game environment. Plus, brought to you by Syfy, the Defiance TV series is a revolutionary weekly drama that impacts the game, and gives you the chance to change the show.

There is you link, nothing more, nothing less. Basicly the series will be a 'guideline' for the DLC and as said, they left certain characters in the series open to name them after players in this game.

And as one reply on IGN says it just perfectly:
I don't have the game so I can't speak from experience, but everything I'm seeing indicates that IGN has jumped on the hate train prematurely and isn't slowing down.

Haters gonna hate, thats for sure :)

So maybe the series wont be a big hit, it has to compete with many other series, each year some will be cancelled, while others arise.

DustOfDeath
04-09-2013, 11:15 AM
ign has always sucked.

You cant even expect to have a high percentage of similarity with the game - unless you got a budget of a whole country.

You want them to ride across the bay area, across the hills, smash hellbugs with cars?

Its a drama - it gives you more indepth smaller scale nfo abotu the main characters and plot.

Munx
04-09-2013, 11:16 AM
It definatly seems like IGN has decided to hate this game, I watched the impression videos, and those two couldn't help but show exactly how much they enjoyed the game trough the tone of theyr voices.. I heard them get excited time after time, only to follow it up with a "oh but we don't like this " "this sucks".

Ikagawa
04-09-2013, 11:18 AM
It definatly seems like IGN has decided to hate this game, I watched the impression videos, and those two couldn't help but show exactly how much they enjoyed the game trough the tone of theyr voices.. I heard them get excited time after time, only to follow it up with a "oh but we don't like this " "this sucks".

So you're saying they were acting like normal players...

Kommissar Kaede
04-09-2013, 11:20 AM
On the website it says:
Experience dynamic missions, massive co-op battles, and endless exploration across a gigantic game environment. Plus, brought to you by Syfy, the Defiance TV series is a revolutionary weekly drama that impacts the game, and gives you the chance to change the show.

There is you link, nothing more, nothing less. Basicly the series will be a 'guideline' for the DLC and as said, they left certain characters in the series open to name them after players in this game.

And as one reply on IGN says it just perfectly:
I don't have the game so I can't speak from experience, but everything I'm seeing indicates that IGN has jumped on the hate train prematurely and isn't slowing down.

Haters gonna hate, thats for sure :)

So maybe the series wont be a big hit, it has to compete with many other series, each year some will be cancelled, while others arise.
Essentially this.

The IGN journalist is manufacturing the "disappointment" language. Indeed, the Defiance producers do appear to lament the limited tie-ins that can be done with season 1, and mentions how the game and show both put constraints on each other (this is quite interesting actually, as it means the game has quite a bit of creative influence on the show). But the only way to draw disappointment from that is by either having unreasonably high expectations of what the tie-in is (e.g. if players don't succeed on this live event, Nolan dies in the next episode), or having an agenda/bone to pick (like the OP, who has basically been trying to downplay the game due to personal anger for about the past 4 days, or the IGN journalist, who probably has orders from above).

ironhands
04-09-2013, 11:22 AM

looking up my post now...

got it:

http://www.indiewire.com/article/television/kevin-murphy-defiance-syfy?page=2#articleHeaderPanel

"He figured out the legal system as a system of private prisons. So Las Vegas, which is now marshlands and volcanoes, has become a private prison, and we developed with the game who the character is that runs the prison, he has some connections to some of our characters, and now that’s there in the wiki.

Now in the TV show when we travel to Las Vegas in season two, we know everything there is to know about the various people there"

http://www.digitalspy.ca/gaming/interviews/a443802/defiance-interview-trion-on-where-the-show-and-game-collide.html

also a good read

Daholic
04-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Essentially this.

The IGN journalist is manufacturing the "disappointment" language. Indeed, the Defiance producers do appear to lament the limited tie-ins that can be done with season 1, and mentions how the game and show both put constraints on each other (this is quite interesting actually, as it means the game has quite a bit of creative influence on the show). But the only way to draw disappointment from that is by either having unreasonably high expectations of what the tie-in is (e.g. if players don't succeed on this live event, Nolan dies in the next episode), or having an agenda/bone to pick (like the OP, who has basically been trying to downplay the game due to personal anger for about the past 4 days, or the IGN journalist, who probably has orders from above).

Ive seen very low marks for the game..
Is it possible that every 2.5-5 rating is bias or from those with an agenda...??

Or...Should this game get special treatment, and not be allowed to review until after 1st major patch? Theres a select few that love this game for what it is..but the highest rating ive seen was 9.5..

Arsenic_Touch
04-09-2013, 11:35 AM
So people still take IGN seriously? haha.

After what they did to mass effect 3? haha.

Does IGN not know how anything about how a tv show is made? did they really expect them to produce, film and edit each episode every week so they can change content on the whim based on the players actions?

The link from the game to the show may turn out to be about 25%, but from the show to the game it's going to be a lot more.

Kommissar Kaede
04-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Ive seen very low marks for the game..
Is it possible that every 2.5-5 rating is bias or from those with an agenda...??

Or...Should this game get special treatment, and not be allowed to review until after 1st major patch? Theres a select few that love this game for what it is..but the highest rating ive seen was 9.5..

I'm just saying that going off the quotes the journalist was taking from the producers, they were painting an unusually negative image of the subject.

They twisted the 75-80% tie in rate from what could be considered a fairly positive number, and made it into something that sounded negative.

They took the lamenting of lack of tie-ins in season 1 (a very logical and reasonable thing) and turned that into a bad thing.

They took the mention of concessions between the show and the game (a sign that the game isn't just a cash in, but rather something that has creative influence on the show), and turned that into a negative.

They failed to play up the hope that having 6 months of play time could help shape season 2. Instead it was all negative "what if one flops" sort of talk.

Just because a game is reviewing poorly is not a justification to twist words into something particularly negative. Especially in the light of having very little actual evidence (OK, so they've seen the whole pilot - they still haven't seen how that affects the game, they barely have an actual sense of the tie-ins).

I'll admit, it was a bit out of line of me to make those accusations, obviously, there are plenty of other reasonable explanations.

Mavor
04-09-2013, 12:29 PM
We have been scammed:

Did you really think it was going to be a 100% tie in? We're on the west coast ingame. The show is in and around St Louis. I mean come on. They will connect at points but otherwise its always been pretty obvious that while we are playing in the same world, we aren't going to be experiencing the majority of what will happen in the show. If you are truly surprised by this you should really do more research next time. :p

hugdealer
04-09-2013, 12:30 PM
i couldn't care less about the tv show, i don't even watch tv.
*shrug*

i'm glad they aren't heavily tied together.
hollywood writers changing mechanics of a game could go pretty bad.

Ikagawa
04-09-2013, 12:31 PM
hollywood writers changing mechanics of a game could go pretty bad.

What you said right there, it doesn't make sense.

jnt
04-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Two things:

1. Anyone who thought this was going to be a grand choose your own adventure game didn't read much of the pre launch documentation (and has also not done a lot of work in game design but no hate).

2. %s are insanely vague. If 20% of the show relates to the game that could be anything from 10 minutes per hour of show or even 4 out of 20 episodes.

ironhands
04-09-2013, 12:54 PM
10 minutes of the show relating to the game is pretty significant IMO

Vertis
04-09-2013, 12:55 PM
There is a story to this game? I thought everyone just spammed Esc as fast as possible during the RP cutscenes.

ironhands
04-09-2013, 12:56 PM
There is a story to this game? I thought everyone just spammed Esc as fast as possible during the RP cutscenes.

I only just found out there was an actual game. I though it was just entering arkfall codes and complaining

Blackwolfe
04-09-2013, 12:57 PM
I only just found out there was an actual game. I though it was just entering arkfall codes and complaining

Arkfall codes? Im just here to complain about stuff in unconstructive posts full of whine ;)

jnt
04-09-2013, 12:59 PM

I enjoyed everything story wise other then Nim's pathetic bellyaching. I have a hard time coming up with a lamer villain from recent memory. The guy is guilty of all that atrocity and does some Dr Evil **** on the bridge instead of just having his 40 monitors gun us down and win. Seriously, he lost right there.

ironhands
04-09-2013, 01:08 PM
I enjoyed everything story wise other then Nim's pathetic bellyaching. I have a hard time coming up with a lamer villain from recent memory. The guy is guilty of all that atrocity and does some Dr Evil **** on the bridge instead of just having his 40 monitors gun us down and win. Seriously, he lost right there.

Haven't made it that far yet, I'm taking my time. ME3 last boss fight was definitely lame :P I can't actually think of any real boss fights lately. Worst might be Jericho though. Decent game, but fighting space baby? Should probably finish up one of the 9287342 games i'm 90% done soon lol

Ikagawa
04-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Haven't made it that far yet, I'm taking my time. ME3 last boss fight was definitely lame :P I can't actually think of any real boss fights lately. Worst might be Jericho though. Decent game, but fighting space baby? Should probably finish up one of the 9287342 games i'm 90% done soon lol

You fought a space baby in Half-Life.

That was a disappointment :P

jnt
04-09-2013, 01:12 PM

Oops, didn't want to spoil that for you.

ironhands
04-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Oops, didn't want to spoil that for you.

meh, anyone in the forums known the final boss is nim

jnt
04-09-2013, 01:17 PM
meh, anyone in the forums known the final boss is nim

Not what I was worried about spoiling !;)

ironhands
04-09-2013, 01:18 PM
You fought a space baby in Half-Life.

That was a disappointment :P

Forgot about half-life. Space babies in general I guess are fail. As far as awesome final encounters go.... Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Fantastic end-game encounter, if you remove the end-o-tron 5000 that they licensed to ME3. Finished the DE:HR encounter in every method possible.

Technodude
04-09-2013, 01:32 PM
you expected it to be 100%?

the show is about ark hunters, human and irathient
the game is about ark hunters, human and irathient

should probably wait until an episode is actually aired before making any sort of judgement

it's impossible for the game to impact the show this early, because we haven't had time to do very much in the world.

had you read the article, you'd have seen where it was addressed that most of the impact will be in season 2, in the lull between the seasons when the writing is done and teh game is being played.

100%? no but the way both show and game have been advertised i would have never guessed that 80% of show go nothing to do with the game. Clever marketing though.

jnt
04-09-2013, 01:35 PM
100%? no but the way both show and game have been advertised i would have never guessed that 80% of show go nothing to do with the game. Clever marketing though.

Anyone expecting significant influence on the show by playing the game is being completely unrealistic. Development time alone makes it unfeasible.

80% is not bad. It's less then I expected. Ads aside, Trion was open about this subject before release.

Please, do your blood pressure a favor and really think about what 20% of a tv means.

Technodude
04-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Anyone expecting significant influence on the show by playing the game is being completely unrealistic. Development time alone makes it unfeasible.

80% is not bad. It's less then I expected. Ads aside, Trion was open about this subject before release.

Please, do your blood pressure a favor and really think about what 20% of a tv means.

Trion never stated anything in terms of percentage so yeah it is a surprise news for me (first time reading it). And what is with the blood pressure? do you see me raging or something? what a weird and random thing to say.

Kommissar Kaede
04-09-2013, 01:38 PM
To be honest, its not % of tie in that concerns me but rather depth of the tie in. Will knowing a bit more about Cooper give us better insight about Nolan? Or are they just going to mention VBI a whole lot and keep using that stupid "Death's Merchant" title.

ironhands
04-09-2013, 01:41 PM

yeah, but that means 20-25% does, that's pretty sizeable. The biggest impact will be between season 1-2. It's nearly impossible to have the game impact the show when both are new, unless you shoot 2 different versions.

ironhands
04-09-2013, 01:43 PM
To be honest, its not % of tie in that concerns me but rather depth of the tie in. Will knowing a bit more about Cooper give us better insight about Nolan? Or are they just going to mention VBI a whole lot and keep using that stupid "Death's Merchant" title.

good point, it's such an abstract figure, you can't exactly quantify something like that. is it a 100% tie in because it's in the same world, or 0% because it's not in California.

jnt
04-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Trion never stated anything in terms of percentage so yeah it is a surprise news for me (first time reading it). And what is with the blood pressure? do you see me raging or something? what a weird and random thing to say.

Just saying this is a weird subject to get aggressive about, all I ever saw concerning the subject in advertising was stuff about a tie in between the game and show. There were some Trion interviews about how this is not a choose your own adventure book and to not expect that level of influence. There were things about "what if your players refuse to do something en masse?" and the reply was something like "we will wait and see".

I really never expected much just because I can grasp the effort in content generation. Leaving lots of details up to the last minute to see how many players did something or how they handled it is just unreasonable.

This is not WoW of 5 years ago, the $ is not there.

Technodude
04-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Just saying this is a weird subject to get aggressive about, all I ever saw concerning the subject in advertising was stuff about a tie in between the game and show. There were some Trion interviews about how this is not a choose your own adventure book and to not expect that level of influence. There were things about "what if your players refuse to do something en masse?" and the reply was something like "we will wait and see".

I really never expected much just because I can grasp the effort in content generation. Leaving lots of details up to the last minute to see how many players did something or how they handled it is just unreasonable.

This is not WoW of 5 years ago, the $ is not there.

You love to make assumptions way too much. I have no idea how you can tell that i am getting aggressive? my post has been civil and calm. :confused::confused:

Whatever Trion said in past was very vague though and they just hinted towards the relationship between the game and tv show. But when the producers says that a huge chunk of show got nothing to do with the game... things are not that vague anymore. Hence, my surprise.

jnt
04-09-2013, 01:58 PM
You love to make assumptions way too much. I have no idea how you can tell that i am getting aggressive? my post has been civil and calm. :confused::confused:

Whatever Trion said in past was very vague though and they just hinted towards the relationship between the game and tv show. But when the producers says that a huge chunk of show got nothing to do with the game... things are not that vague anymore. Hence, my surprise.

I guess it could look that way, it's more a reaction to your "shock" that 80% of the game had nothing to do with the show. My perspective was always that players would be lucky to get 1% influence in events. I've never met a writer willing to give any meaningful creative control to their reader. That would be like Dumbledore surviving, or Obi Wan.

ironhands
04-09-2013, 02:00 PM

I don't see it as a surprise at all, if the two were woven too closely, there'd be no need for both, and it'd be cheaper to jsut do it in the game :P

In order for both to survive, they need to have their time apart and unique directions, because they appeal to different people. The game only has 20% (or much less depending on how long you've played) to do with the show - we know that because we've only seen the main characters a few times in a few missions.

Mindfix
04-09-2013, 02:10 PM
We have been scammed:

Great that's more than i thought it would.

Aria
04-09-2013, 02:11 PM
We have been scammed:

I could care less actually, but for arguments sake find me something that claims otherwise? I don't believe we were ever given more then it tied into the show ...they never said it would be "exactly" like the show?

KMKETZ3189
04-09-2013, 02:20 PM
it's quite normal, the series take place at St Louis, when the game (for now) it's at san francisco.
after all:
- The distance between St Louis and San Francisco in a straight line is 1729 miles or 2781.96 Kilometers.

even with the dogde it will take a looooong time for get there.
more important we see the world from two viewpoint. the game and the series, that the crossover part of this. they are both in the same world and major event will affect each other at some point.

but the small event, like political action inside the city of defiance... will never get to the game... and i'm happy with this.

not trying to debase anything or anyone here but the world was Terra-formed. to what extent i am unsure. all i know is san fran is pretty screwed up. for all we know that distance was halfed from the terra-forming. just my 2 cents...

Ikagawa
04-09-2013, 02:21 PM
not trying to debase anything or anyone here but the world was Terra-formed. to what extent i am unsure. all i know is san fran is pretty screwed up. for all we know that distance was halfed from the terra-forming. just my 2 cents...

The terraforming dissolved two thousand miles of land? Doesn't seem likely.

Dancer
04-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Let look more closely at what is being said here. The TV side will be an hour long time slot, so giving 10 minutes to commecials since the show is in the after 9PM FCC rules. That leaves 50 minutes for the show to run. Now if 20% of each show will deal with the game crossover, that means 10 minutes of time given to the game crossover. You can cover alot in that time. Think of the first 14 minutes video clip of season start as the first cross over.

KMKETZ3189
04-09-2013, 02:25 PM
The terraforming dissolved two thousand miles of land? Doesn't seem likely.

It's SyFy. Anything is possible. besides i said half, which would be 1,000 miles roughly. and it could have spiraled, shifted and tore the plates around not necessarily dissolving them.

Todeswulf
04-09-2013, 02:26 PM
We have been scammed:

Another troll who doesn't own the game, trying to stir forum drama....how ordinary.

Todeswulf
04-09-2013, 02:30 PM
LOL Stace Harman ...isn't she the one that called RE6 "An incredible experience"

Long story short Trion did not pay for a positive review so they got this instead

For anyone who doubts this read
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/former-ign-employee-admits-review-scores-are-skewed-due-to-public-relations

"While the former claims that Defiance represents “Syfy’s biggest investment ever; they’re doing more than they did for Battlestar Gallactica,” Nankin acknowledges that “Defiance is actually not a huge budget show.”

Excuse me Genius, BSG wasn't a large budget series either, in fact it was one of the most economical sci-fi series in history and cost less than the original series NOT adjusted for inflation.

Remag Div
04-09-2013, 02:45 PM
I'll reserve my judgement until I actually see some episodes.