PDA

View Full Version : Any word on viable Melee centric build options?

Saboteur 6
10-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Having played Zero in Borderlands 2 and the N7 Shadow Infiltrator in Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, I'm really hoping that the mechanics of Defiance will incorporate a melee focused playstyle at some capacity. Any information floating around regarding this?

Disdain
10-16-2012, 12:47 AM
I donít believe Iíve read anything of the sort, though I imagine as most shooters incorporate a melee ability albeit a rifle butt or bayonet slash or something similar, I canít see them leaving It out. So the potential is there, will they choose to include it is anyoneís guess.

Jenbuu
10-16-2012, 02:23 AM
There doesn't seem to be a melee specific, at games com it was said that there was melee in it and at that time it was overpowered but who knows now.

but as already said i would like it would be down to bayonet and butt of the rifle

Saboteur 6
10-16-2012, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the info. I know it's still very early to begin discussing the versatility of builds but I hope that Trion tries to incorporate and reward skill building options that allows emphasis for CQC proficiency beyond a simple generic melee option. I'd expect everyone to have a default melee attack as that's pretty commonplace in modern shooters but I'd like to see it implemented with the option to evolve it past a vanilla cursory mechanic given appropriate skill investment.

Now, I'm not expecting crazy combo string button mash mechanics but powers, abilities, and melee animations that unlock as you invest skill points really could add some versatility in build options and playstyles. So, it would extend beyond basic statistical skill increases (such as just being able to increase the damage of your generic melee attack) and actually unlock powers/animations that you wouldn't otherwise get by default. Again I'm drawing on Zero from Borderlands 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIXsvvM6ciU) and more specifically the N7 Infiltrator Shadow from ME3 co-op. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqN3mnGsqt4)

Disdain
10-16-2012, 07:36 AM
Melee CQC? Iíll leave that to the ninjas, Just gimmie a shotgun, thatís my Idea of CQC :D

Saboteur 6
10-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Melee CQC? I’ll leave that to the ninjas, Just gimmie a shotgun, that’s my Idea of CQC :D

I know the popular video game trope of Ninja/katana classes sort lend themselves to fit the CQC melee character but I'm actually hoping that Trion goes a different route (if it goes it at all). I too like shotgun CQC and think it pairs well with some investment in melee attacks.

Carnak
10-16-2012, 10:29 PM
There doesn't seem to be a melee specific, at games com it was said that there was melee in it and at that time it was overpowered but who knows now.

I could take melee or leave it but surely they could implement it and entirely sidestep balance issues by allowing everyone to carry both a ranged and melee weapon and very quickly swap between them?

Siantlark
10-17-2012, 02:44 PM
I could take melee or leave it but surely they could implement it and entirely sidestep balance issues by allowing everyone to carry both a ranged and melee weapon and very quickly swap between them?
It's not that doing that would solve any problems though. Melee is a very... iffy thing. Most of the time either it's Overpowered or it's Underpowered. If it's OP then you'd see people running around with knives and swords and doing completely crazy stunts without using guns which tends to detract from the "shooting" portion of the game but you can't have them nerfed to hell or else no one would use them ever.

Carnak
10-17-2012, 03:22 PM
It's not that doing that would solve any problems though.

1) It solves melee v ranged balance for PvP. If melee is OP and someone comes at you with a melee weapon you can't cry "Poor me, I'm going to die because melee is OP" if you too can quickly equip a melee weapon and be just as OP as your attacker.

2) It doesn't matter if either melee or ranged is a bit better than the other. Distance will always be a factor. If you can quickly and easily swap between them then players will use ranged weapons when, you know, at range.

3) It doesn't force anyone into a style they don't like but leaves options open. You're not forced to go either full melee or full ranged or even to mix your style. You can - to an extent - play any of those three by controlling your position relative to your opponent's. But in PvP you might need to switch occasionally as other players move into and out of melee range.

Disdain
10-18-2012, 02:21 AM
I think some people are getting dragged into the usual ďIíll argue this pointĒ scenario.

The question was: Any word on viable Melee centric build options?

Yes there was a bit about there being melee included in the game and at the time it was a bit OP. Other than that Iím not aware of much else being said ďofficiallyĒ on the subject.

While Iím sure the Author of the thread will value your opinion, I donít think he intended to invite argument.

My opinion is this. Though melee probably will be included in the game as melee is with most FPís games, I imagine it will play a very minor role.

If I were in the development team, Iíd include the obvious melee attack, and might possibly include the ability to add points into it, so it evolves into a knockdown/hamstring (slowdown) attack, enabling the player to gain some distance from a melee base attacker.

Lets not forget this game is a shooter after all.

Shadinaxx
10-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Vindictus has a hybrid "shooter/melee" playstyle that might work, but I think the melee abilities wil be more along the lines of an ability you press a key and you perform said manuever (roundhouse kick, knife stab, shield bash, bull rush, etc), and depending on your aim/range, you hit or miss.

I would like to see other weapons than guns, as well, I for one, would love to use a hunting bow. Kind of a hawkeye sort of thing from avengers. But I'm just as happy spraying the landscape full of bullet holes, lol