PDA

View Full Version : We need Area Waypoints for Data Recorders in Pursuits!

Zascha
04-09-2013, 05:47 PM
The title pretty much says it all. Basically, I log in today to do some Pursuits and I realize I have a lot of Data Recorders to find.

I start with "The Truth Behind Tranquility" only to come to an immediate stand still because I have absolutely no frame of reference as to where these things are... except it is "somewhere" in Mount Tam. Well.. that helps /sarcasm. There isn't even a hint that suggests a general location!

So what do I do? I go online to find these suckers. I repeat - I have to go completely out of the game to find this stuff.

Look - I like to explore in MMO's. I do. I don't mind having to search about for stuff. But there isn't even a bread crumb trail to start with on any of these.

We need some sort of an Area Waypoint system for these data recordings. It doesn't have to lead us to the exact location. Just a "Go to this large yellow circle. The Data Recorder you are looking for is somewhere nearby." Otherwise, all there is left to do is to use a cheat-sheet from the internet. And frankly, that's when this becomes more of a chore than an outlet for fun.

alred
04-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Just google. There are some vids at youtube.
Mt. Tam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSAMW49HH7U

Marin locations:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2eM6u_cezA

There are a few more videos on youtube.

SeerProphet
04-09-2013, 09:28 PM
I agree. Some sort of in game help would be great. I want to start getting my Rep up but it's hard when you don't have any idea where to go to get things done.

Zascha
04-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Just google. There are some vids at youtube.
Mt. Tam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSAMW49HH7U

Marin locations:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2eM6u_cezA

There are a few more videos on youtube.

We are all aware of the fact that you can Google the locations of the Data Recordings. The problem is, we shouldn't have to do that to complete these Pursuits. And as it stands... there really is no other alternative.

This thread is a suggestion for the devs to provide the player with enough in-game information so that they do not have to resort to alternative means, like you have posted above. Not every gamer wants to rely on "How to" manuals and "Walkthroughs" just to complete what should be ordinary Exploration Quests.

The solution to the problem is not to expect players to Google the answers to the puzzles. The solution is to give them the information they need so they can attempt to do it themselves in the first place.

Herfles
04-09-2013, 11:21 PM
I understand your argument but i can't say i agree with this. It isn't really a new thing for an mmo. To each his/her own though.

Aidan415
04-10-2013, 12:06 AM
The solution is that players are supposed to find them and it's supposed to be difficult, Pretty much every single one is in an area which a mission/ side mission leads you to so whenever you arrive at a location for a mission look for these recorders, simple.

Zascha
04-10-2013, 11:54 AM
I understand your argument but i can't say i agree with this. It isn't really a new thing for an mmo. To each his/her own though.

Exactly - it isn't a new thing at all. So why there isn't some sort of a system that provides you with some sort of a clue as to where to go to find each Data Recorder, is beyond my ability to understand. What I am talking about is EXACTLY what you would find in any other MMO.

Why exactly are you in favor of Google Searches again?

Zascha
04-10-2013, 11:59 AM
The solution is that players are supposed to find them and it's supposed to be difficult, Pretty much every single one is in an area which a mission/ side mission leads you to so whenever you arrive at a location for a mission look for these recorders, simple.

It's only simple when you realize you should be doing that in the first place.

As a new player, like most of us are, we probably didn't even know about pursuits until about Ego 200+, and have been completing Side, Main, and Episode missions til halfway through Marin before we realized we should be looking for these Data Recordings. Now we have to go back through Mount Tam and half of Marin to find these things in places that have absolutely no frame of reference.

This isn't rocket science guys. All I'm suggesting is an area waypoint for each Data Recording. With your reactions, you'd think I was asking for WoW combat classes.

EdgeTW
04-10-2013, 12:09 PM
It's only simple when you realize you should be doing that in the first place.

As a new player, like most of us are, we probably didn't even know about pursuits until about Ego 200+, and have been completing Side, Main, and Episode missions til halfway through Marin before we realized we should be looking for these Data Recordings.
It's difficult to understand how you could have gotten to Ego 200+ before knowing about pursuits. You're introduced to them with the first kill you make post-tutorial, and with great frequency after that. The very first data recording you can come across is within a stone's throw of the first spot you appear in after leaving the tutorial.

Shouldn't players be rewarded for some exploration? Honestly, it's too bad walk-throughs like this end up on the internet at all. I'm not opposed to having their locations narrowed down a bit in-game, if only to encourage people to try to find them on their own rather than immediately running to Google. But I don't agree with coddling players who refuse to pay attention for 200+ ego levels.

Pastor Grim
04-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Maybe instead of just running through the missions take a moment to explore and look around. The recorders are right out in plain sight in most cases. It seems like some people want to make every game mind numbingly easy.

Maeson
04-10-2013, 04:52 PM
As much as I am in the camp with people who don't suport hand-holding. But I have to go with that the current way of finding these recorders is a bit wonky. The most luck I've had is in SF, and over there I prettymuch go door to door and search every corner of every building I can find.

And I swear there are times when I see something that is clearly a landmark of some sort and immedicately go "This thing has a recorder near it!" And nothing. Recorders should be in places that are recognizable. Not in the rubble of a house in the middle of nowhere. Searching a random house only to find a recorder is not exploration. It's combing the area with a fine tooth comb.

At least that is my 2 cents. I honestly haven't been actively searching for them as much but now since I've finished the missions... might as well.

EnabrimGFC
04-10-2013, 05:38 PM
I agree. Some sort of in game help would be great. I want to start getting my Rep up but it's hard when you don't have any idea where to go to get things done.

Its too hard? Go play wizards 101

Zascha
04-10-2013, 05:41 PM
It's difficult to understand how you could have gotten to Ego 200+ before knowing about pursuits. You're introduced to them with the first kill you make post-tutorial, and with great frequency after that. The very first data recording you can come across is within a stone's throw of the first spot you appear in after leaving the tutorial.

Shouldn't players be rewarded for some exploration? Honestly, it's too bad walk-throughs like this end up on the internet at all. I'm not opposed to having their locations narrowed down a bit in-game, if only to encourage people to try to find them on their own rather than immediately running to Google. But I don't agree with coddling players who refuse to pay attention for 200+ ego levels.

I think you're taking what I said a bit out of context. Also, there's no need for you to behave so arrogantly. Obviously Ego 200 isn't an exact point at which people realize to participate in this activity.

I never said anything about "coddling players". You are showing signs of elitism when you take the written abstract to mean the exact definition of what you hate. I never said to hold players' hands. I never said to do anything of the sort. I said Area Waypoints. Capital word "area" - that means anywhere up to 500m or beyond... or less - what difference does it make so long as it doesn't give you an exact location? I'm pretty sure I have expressed this like 3 times already. There is plenty of exploration to be had in such a situation. Either way, the point is without such a system, or SOME kind of a hint system... the player has no choice but to Google the information. Otherwise...

I'm glad that you have all the time in the world to traverse the entire game landscape to find these needles in a hay-stack, but I thought the industry settled this debate a long time ago: people don't have time to spend 8 hours in a day, 7 days a week to do this stuff. They have (if they're lucky) maybe an hour or two every other day. In that time, they should be able to complete a reasonable amount of objectives, without the assistance of a game guide. Even Metroidvania style games give you clues as to where stuff is. And those are nothing if not built around the concept of exploration.

I can see now you are arguing just to be argumentative, which is unnecessary and, on the whole, not conducive to an open dialogue. However, since I am a good sport - really, sir - what exactly would you prefer?

Let me put it this way:

Example 1 - When you were a kid and your parents hid Easter Eggs out in the backyard for you to find - was this not a fun activity? I suspect that you will try to be coy and say you didn't do that when you were a kid, or state some other irrelevant factoid in efforts to derail the point. But for the sake of argument, let us agree that some people do this activity with their kids, and they do this because it is supposed to be fun.

Do the parents tell the kids "Somewhere in the world, we have hidden 9 easter eggs. Go find them." Of course not. Why? Because "Somewhere in the world" could literally mean anywhere.

No, they say, "Somewhere in the backyard, we have hidden 9 easter eggs. Go find them." Suddenly this impossible task becomes manageable. Why? Because there is a clear rule on where the eggs are, and more importantly, where the eggs are not.

Example 2 - When you were in highschool or college or whatever, didn't you ever participate in a scavenger hunt? Now, some scavenger hunts just give you a list of random items: cheeseburger, firehose, Disneyland. The objects have implied locations of where to find them. Other, more creative scavenger hunts give you hints of a location where to find specific items. All of this is built around the premise of fun.

Data Recorders in Defiance aren't conducive to fun, because they forget to provide you with information needed. It's like a math problem without enough variables, but expects you to guess one specific answer. Get it wrong, and you fail:

2+a=b?

Zascha
04-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Its too hard? Go play wizards 101

This sort of response will not be tolerated in my thread. Take your bad attitude somewhere else.