PDA

View Full Version : Playable Races

OcelotKharn
03-04-2013, 04:34 AM
So after watching IGNs One Hour Of Defiance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFTRgWhLcVs) Video in which they are playing the xbox version, you can see only 2 playable races and the usual male and female assortment. Question is do we get new races from the DLC season pass or are we doomed to play same races forever?

killerbee04x
03-04-2013, 04:39 AM
we inbreds.. it happens in small pockets of humans..

Defy
03-04-2013, 04:44 AM
I don't think any new races have been announced yet

Aaricane
03-04-2013, 04:51 AM
I don't think any new races have been announced yetThey did say tho that "as of now, we only have 2 races to choose from" making it sound like more might be possible in future DLCs.

Maybe.

Aaricane
03-04-2013, 04:51 AM
Edit: Double Post

smokiebr
03-04-2013, 04:53 AM
i believe they love the term NDA lol

OcelotKharn
03-04-2013, 05:13 AM
Lets hope they do add more although in the video they did say its not the finished product they are showing its a 4 week old build and since that build alot of works happened

Escyos
03-04-2013, 05:17 AM
I always assumed that they choose those two races for a reason. Form what we've heard Castithans are the uppity class of Votans and probably wouldn't concern themselves with Ark Hunting (at least not many of them), Liberata don't seem suited to combat, Indogene prefer to tinker with tech and Sensoth....well they could work out well actually, Gulanee are energy based so they may be unable to appreciated physical money as we would.

Humans love money and Irathients love to be free, so they are both suited to Ark hunting.

Dead_Phoenix
03-04-2013, 07:18 AM
given there are a few other humanoid species, im sure more will come in the future

kirix
03-04-2013, 07:45 AM
does it matter to much, once we get hold of badass looking armor sets with badass headgear we wont even see our player model only the armor model :D.

and when im shooting things or being shot at i rarely go "oo i like how my alien looks".

i guess it would be nice for RP but other then that not really vital. like with origins thats just basicly what starter weapons and armor you get and has no real impact later on in the game.

OcelotKharn
03-04-2013, 07:52 AM
does it matter to much, once we get hold of badass looking armor sets with badass headgear we wont even see our player model only the armor model :D.

and when im shooting things or being shot at i rarely go "oo i like how my alien looks".

i guess it would be nice for RP but other then that not really vital. like with origins thats just basicly what starter weapons and armor you get and has no real impact later on in the game.

Its not so much for the RP etc its just for expanded customization.

Martin84
03-04-2013, 07:58 AM
To me it doesn't really make too much sense to bring out new races as DLC content. Once we all start and put effort into a main are we really going to want to start all over again with a new race - unless there is the option to change race after a DLC. But again this seems pointless as there aren't any racial abilities so there really would be no benefits other than the cosmetics which as Kirix points out once overlayed with armour becomes a moot point.

ironhands
03-17-2013, 04:22 PM
given there are a few other humanoid species, im sure more will come in the future

especially the 8th race that "died off", be great when they show up as a major cliffhanger with however many thousands of years more advanced tech/population than those who left on the arks :p

Odinswolf
03-17-2013, 04:26 PM
There will be at least one new race as dlc with the season pass

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/08/trion-offering-a-defiance-season-pass-with-dlc-new-species-and/

ironhands
03-17-2013, 04:30 PM
To me it doesn't really make too much sense to bring out new races as DLC content. Once we all start and put effort into a main are we really going to want to start all over again with a new race - unless there is the option to change race after a DLC. But again this seems pointless as there aren't any racial abilities so there really would be no benefits other than the cosmetics which as Kirix points out once overlayed with armour becomes a moot point.

New races are a great DLC add-on, you're right though, starting all over with a new character can be annoying, but it's a great excuse to revisit the older content and try things a different way, potentially with a new class/build. Depending on the content, it might even have a new starting lineup of quests anyway. Currently, race isn't that important, but new ones might be different.. Physically weaker but special abilities, or maybe some stronger but slower, who knows... There's so many ways they can take this.

Desidus
03-17-2013, 04:33 PM
who knows... the only thing we really do know... is that I dont know.. well you didn't know that.. and still dont because I could be lying... but I know that I don't know. Thats what I know... what do YOU know?

Odinswolf
03-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Someone ask the question when the new race becomes available can you transfer stats over to the new race by either paying for it or a one time transfer the dev's are looking into if my memory serves me right

Desidus
03-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Someone ask the question when the new race becomes available can you transfer stats over to the new race by either paying for it or a one time transfer the dev's are looking into if my memory serves me right

I remember people in the forums talking about it, but nothing from the devs...

UmbrusNightshade
03-17-2013, 04:42 PM
I bet that Sensoth is the race that gets added in one of the DLCs that have been announced. To me they are the only race that really works within the mythos as Ark Hunters. (Sure there would probably be the rare Castithan or maybe even Liberata but these would be more the exception rather than the rule; therefore, they would not be justified in having these as playable Ark Hunter races from a mythology standpoint).

Odinswolf
03-17-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm near sure sledge said he was going to look into it maybe I'm wrong and have gotten confused (wouldn't be the first time)

Dead_Phoenix
03-17-2013, 04:44 PM
your right about the lore. but there are always exceptions to the rule. just like you get war mongering humans, as well as peace loving ones.

so its not hard to imagion castithan going against the curve.

you got to remember they have been living along side the humans for 13 years, long enough young one to have a few more rebelious features

Major Nelson
03-17-2013, 04:56 PM
So after watching IGNs One Hour Of Defiance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFTRgWhLcVs) Video in which they are playing the xbox version, you can see only 2 playable races and the usual male and female assortment. Question is do we get new races from the DLC season pass or are we doomed to play same races forever?

from getting season pass it says you can play as an alien species

UmbrusNightshade
03-17-2013, 04:57 PM
Yes, but like I said it would likely be a small percentage of these that went against the cultural norms seeing as the Votans have been on Earth less than 50 years as of the date of the show/game. So it would then be the exception and would not justify having hundreds of people play them in the game. The only way that I would be okay with it is if they were to make a group or some other in-mythos reason to explain this.

In regards to that, I actually had this idea that Liberata (since they are seen as more of a servile race/caste within the mythos) may have an underground group that recruits members of the race to act as Ark Hunters so that they collectively can start to gain influence, affluence and power. Things like this would appease those that want a certain race and those that want things to fit in with the "Defiance Universe."

Defy
03-17-2013, 04:57 PM
from getting season pass it says you can play as an alien species

I'll prolly play as an alien rather than a human, just to try something different

Dead_Phoenix
03-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Yes, but like I said it would likely be a small percentage of these that went against the cultural norms seeing as the Votans have been on Earth less than 50 years as of the date of the show/game. So it would then be the exception and would not justify having hundreds of people play them in the game. The only way that I would be okay with it is if they were to make a group or some other in-mythos reason to explain this.

In regards to that, I actually had this idea that Liberata (since they are seen as more of a servile race/caste within the mythos) may have an underground group that recruits members of the race to act as Ark Hunters so that they collectively can start to gain influence, affluence and power. Things like this would appease those that want a certain race and those that want things to fit in with the "Defiance Universe."

well the players dont represent a proportional equiverlant of the population. so they can have all the castithen ark hunters (being the main ark hunter hot spot in the country), so 1000's. that still doesnt = a major part of the castithen population

so not that hard to add in with any major plot points needed

UmbrusNightshade
03-17-2013, 05:13 PM
well the players dont represent a proportional equiverlant of the population. so they can have all the castithen ark hunters (being the main ark hunter hot spot in the country), so 1000's. that still doesnt = a major part of the castithen population

so not that hard to add in with any major plot points needed

I'd still only be okay with it if (and only if) it fits into the overall mythos. My reasoning is that - until one fails - both the show and the game are (I'm using words from the actual people involved here) "two portals into the same world." They interconnect and overlap meaning that what makes sense in one must make sense in the other. So, I humbly posit, that it would be a vital mistake for either SyFy or Trion to institute something in their individual "portal" that contradicts the established mythos in either "portals".

Basically all I'm getting at is if they decide to do something because of player or fan demand, then they have to find a way for it to make sense within the mythos (even if that means that they have to rewrite part of that mythos). Once something is established however that cannot be effectively changed (for continuity reasons) then it should not be allowed to come into being regardless of player or fan demand. Story is very important if something is to be successful.

Dead_Phoenix
03-17-2013, 05:19 PM
I'd still only be okay with it if (and only if) it fits into the overall mythos. My reasoning is that - until one fails - both the show and the game are (I'm using words from the actual people involved here) "two portals into the same world." They interconnect and overlap meaning that what makes sense in one must make sense in the other. So, I humbly posit, that it would be a vital mistake for either SyFy or Trion to institute something in their individual "portal" that contradicts the established mythos in either "portals".

Basically all I'm getting at is if they decide to do something because of player or fan demand, then they have to find a way for it to make sense within the mythos (even if that means that they have to rewrite part of that mythos). Once something is established however that cannot be effectively changed (for continuity reasons) then it should not be allowed to come into being regardless of player or fan demand. Story is very important if something is to be successful.

absolutly. they cant have something in one, that conflicts with the other.

trion and syfy have said they are working so closely, that the hindrence of one, doesnt appear ot snooker the other. story and physcially (in terms of making of)

thats why the game doesnt have air vehicles, because syfy have said they cant really put it into the show with the budget, and why the show doesnt have horses, because trion said they cant add them in, with ease.

same goes for the story.

so yea castithen hunters would have to appear in the show, or at least nothign they say would contradict it

UmbrusNightshade
03-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Glad it's possible to have a civilized discussion on a forum. +10 to Phoenix for being an adult.:p

Dead_Phoenix
03-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Glad it's possible to have a civilized discussion on a forum. +10 to Phoenix for being an adult.:p

thats why i like this community so much :) most here are.

darky89
03-17-2013, 05:32 PM
I'll prolly play as an alien rather than a human, just to try something different

TRAITOR!

Keep an eye on this one guys

Ark Cansada
03-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Uh, I'll probably play an alien too. Depends on whether the human males can have beards.

Lightcaster
03-17-2013, 09:02 PM
I personally want to be an Indogene (sp? too lazy to check :p ) I could see them being ark hunters if only to look for tech to bring back to their labs (didn't I read somewhere that they established a base around an ark crash site somewhere in Alberta/Saskatchewan?)

Ark Cansada
03-17-2013, 09:46 PM
I personally want to be an Indogene (sp? too lazy to check :p ) I could see them being ark hunters if only to look for tech to bring back to their labs (didn't I read somewhere that they established a base around an ark crash site somewhere in Alberta/Saskatchewan?)

The Indogene are so fwuffy o.O

Sureshot
03-29-2013, 06:53 PM
I'd put money on the first season pass playable species being the Castithan (http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Castithan) personally.

Grimwyrd
03-29-2013, 08:01 PM
I'd put money on the first season pass playable species being the Castithan (http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Castithan) personally.

I agree. Start with Human and Irathient, then Castithan with the DLC.

Indogene is another possibility although we've heard they tend to stick close to their labs.

I'll be surprised if we get to play Liberata (short) or Sensoth (tall) simply because this is a shooter and they are differently-sized. Gulanee seem rare. Volge seem badguy.

So probably Castithan, maybe Indogene.

Ensu
03-29-2013, 08:12 PM
There are a bunch of other races that haven't been revealed yet. I saw a concept art post of all the aliens in a line. One was green and buglike, somewhere between mantis and grasshopper. It's been a while since I've seen it.