PDA

View Full Version : Replacements for Auction houses

Jenbuu
03-04-2013, 06:18 AM
For a time now we've seen or had no information in regards to auction houses

Now we all know that people like to buy and sell things it makes a nice little niche in the game.
But how do you think this will affect the game? and can you trust the trader?

What would your suggestion be for making trade safe?

Games like eve online have may different ways of trading. They have the market, they have escrow and they also have individual players that act as a go between for the trade.

Ive been thinking over the past couple of days about the trust system, half upfront half after, but it feels so shady.

Thoughts?

MOnte
03-04-2013, 06:25 AM
Without being in game, it is hard to tell. Auction houses are nice to make some extra cash or to fill an equipment slot that you have been unlucky with drops on

It will all depend on a few in-game things if it is really necessary. IE: how often does loot drop, how big of a difference is there in level gear, how important cash is and so on.

As for secure trading, people will always find a way to cheat the system, or scandal a player. Developers can only do so much.

IGears
03-04-2013, 06:26 AM
Im not understanding the whole not trusting part if the trading is like where both parties have to hit agree on the trade window to complete the trade. if it is a window to where you can view the item and view its stats then Im fine.

Jenbuu
03-04-2013, 06:39 AM
Im not understanding the whole not trusting part if the trading is like where both parties have to hit agree on the trade window to complete the trade. if it is a window to where you can view the item and view its stats then Im fine.

you know something ive been playing eve too much, where you really cant trust anyone lol, That did no cross my mind as a major defining factor

Kantazo
03-04-2013, 06:51 AM
I hope this game never EVER gets closer to anything that resembles Eve (russian mob) Online.

kirix
03-04-2013, 07:14 AM
do what guild wars 2 have done.

a Tradeing Post tab. where u put up an item and others bid / buy now the item.
and you can request items and one some one puts it up you can buy it.

its all automated transactions and u never have to deal with any players or trade windows and all items bought sold can be collected from an NPC.

its also cross realm / shard so every player has access to the same market . as for defiance it can be 1 for pc 1 for xbox 1 for ps3. this would keep the market even and not have 1 server or shard cheaper or more expensive.

as a result this system stops people "scamming" by removing the player to player tradeing / interaction and haveing traceable / trackable sales / bids etc.

or you could use the WoW auction house model to for player tradeing.

both system safegaurd all player transactions with 0 risk of fraud or trickery

SuperBeast
03-04-2013, 07:16 AM
auction houses in general destroy games. it becomes a farming game until you can get enough money (script in this game) to buy good weapons and then the game is pointless... the only type of trade i would like to see is player to player. it makes you interact and it makes people actually play to find the best weapon instead of paying for it.

Thee Apothecary
03-04-2013, 07:27 AM
the type of enviroment i wouldnt expect global auction houses maybe town based ones or something but im all for player to player only it makes sense i can see in the towns bar trading a pistol for some drinks or currency (cant remember its exact name)

MOnte
03-04-2013, 07:27 AM
auction houses in general destroy games. it becomes a farming game until you can get enough money (script in this game) to buy good weapons and then the game is pointless... the only type of trade i would like to see is player to player. it makes you interact and it makes people actually play to find the best weapon instead of paying for it.

Not sure I agree with this. People will always sell, either in open trade or action house. Not sure what the difference in farming for money or farming the same mob for a specific loot. Once you get it, either way, you are saying the game becomes pointless?

That kind of thinking scares me. I have all my end game gear so the game is over... to me that leads to a WoW gear grind... eeewww...

kirix
03-04-2013, 07:37 AM
player to player is old and dated. would cause alot of confusion on gear prices to start with then would lead to

defiance forum -> market place

post after post of items being sold and agressive undercutting / over priceing due to no ingame control over prices.

yes the same happens to ingame AH to but every one has access to it with out having to tab and can be controlled by dev teams.

so either way it will end up having an auction house system be it ingame or forum based.

vindictus uses both :D

runescape (i know i know) used to have forum based trading with very high prices then they added ingame auction house and controlled the prices to be close to its intended value (alot of the gear is crafted or bought from a vendor).

atleast ingame AH lets u fill gaps in gear or find upgrade items etc. but we just have to wait till game goes live to see how it will go.

Thee Apothecary
03-04-2013, 07:42 AM
player to player is old and dated.

post after post of items being sold and agressive undercutting / over priceing due to no ingame control over prices.

yes the same happens to ingame AH to but every one has access to it with out having to tab and can be controlled by dev teams.

so either way it will end up having an auction house system be it ingame or forum based.

runescape (i know i know) used to have forum based trading with very high prices then they added ingame auction house and controlled the prices to be close to its intended value (alot of the gear is crafted or bought from a vendor).

what i disagree with here the fact you think prices should be regulated sorry thats rubbish since when in rl where prices regulated, if theres high demand in certain item types then the price will rocket if theres little to no demand it will hit a all time low, its like the stock market.

Vuule
03-04-2013, 08:24 AM
what i disagree with here the fact you think prices should be regulated sorry thats rubbish since when in rl where prices regulated, if theres high demand in certain item types then the price will rocket if theres little to no demand it will hit a all time low, its like the stock market.

That's not always what happens. But what I think he ment was, that with Auction houses, everyone can put up an item easily for sale, whether they're online or offline. What happened in RS for example, there were a few who would sell via forums etc. They could decide on the prices. They could easily ask 10x the normal price, which was absurd. Once an aution house was added, it made selling so much easier. More people could easily sell their stuff, which ment no more absurd prices. While what you mentioned still applies, there's a much smaller chance of a few people 'dominating' the marker and asking absurd prices. There should be no min-max restrictions, you can still decide on the price, but good luck trying to ask 10x the normal price. It gives a nicer and better overview of current prices.

kirix
03-04-2013, 09:10 AM
everything i said is examples of how other games have done it. i did not say it should be controlled prices, just there is the option to control prices of items that are easy to get but luck based.

anyway yeah what vuule said. its hard to explain auction house systems to Xbox 360 players as they normally have little to no understanding of pc mmos or player markets.

and dont forget that if u want a RL stock market system for tradeing expect market crashes and inflation to the point where u need 1million scrip to buy things that normally would of cost 100 scrip.

and player to player trade will result in highy organised groups exploiting prices so the crap players (lets face it will be alot of them esp on xbx and ps3) and charge then stupid ammounts for weapons because they cant get it themselfs

GrizzlyAKIMBO
03-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Your post assumes that the economies between xbox, ps3 and pc would be linked. It has already been stated that there is no cross-platform functionality. The only way an Auction House functions consistently and avoids inflation is through regulation and price capping. If an individual wants to pay 10,000,000 Scrip for an item externally that they can purchase in-game for a 1,000,000 Scrip due to price capping and regulation then that is their ridiculous decision.

If people want to trade outside of an in-game Auction House medium then that is their choice, however these inter-game transactions would not impact the in-game economy.

Vuule
03-04-2013, 09:38 AM
everything i said is examples of how other games have done it. i did not say it should be controlled prices, just there is the option to control prices of items that are easy to get but luck based.

anyway yeah what vuule said. its hard to explain auction house systems to Xbox 360 players as they normally have little to no understanding of pc mmos or player markets.

and dont forget that if u want a RL stock market system for tradeing expect market crashes and inflation to the point where u need 1million scrip to buy things that normally would of cost 100 scrip.

and player to player trade will result in highy organised groups exploiting prices so the crap players (lets face it will be alot of them esp on xbx and ps3) and charge then stupid ammounts for weapons because they cant get it themselfs

Now now.. No need to be all hateful against console players. (I'm one myself).

I just hope we can't sell items we buy with real cash, for in game currency. While it's a nice option for those swimming in ingame currency that don't want to spend real money, many times, this will only cause insane prices. Not just for the real money items, but people will buy these items just to sell them for ingame currency, and with the money they end up with, they can control a small portion of the economics.

Yooji
03-04-2013, 09:41 AM
we are currently setting up a trading platform (unofficial of course) for PC, XBOX and PS3

so far we have everything set up, just some minor cosmetical details we have to change.

we'll make a proper announcement for this, but I thought I'd throw it out there since this is on the front page now.

IGears
03-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Now now.. No need to be all hateful against console players. (I'm one myself).

I just hope we can't sell items we buy with real cash, for in game currency. While it's a nice option for those swimming in ingame currency that don't want to spend real money, many times, this will only cause insane prices. Not just for the real money items, but people will buy these items just to sell them for ingame currency, and with the money they end up with, they can control a small portion of the economics.

now im confused... they said that you can only buy boost and cosmetic things with real money, or did i just dream that up.

UmbrusNightshade
03-04-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm glad this game doesn't have an auction house or other means of "selling" to other players. It seems to me that (at least in Defiance) the whole MMO-style, capitalistic system just doesn't fit in. The game is more skill based then accessory dependent and I have no problem trading items with people I know and or like. I hope they never add an AH. When people start farming and sells are all it's about that is when the game becomes "Pay to Win" and "Grind Heavy" and for me, at least, the game loses the quality that defines a game ... F.U.N.

RoganTheGypo
03-04-2013, 09:59 AM
The auction house is one way to go which tbh I like, economy is a massive part of MMOs in my opinion, I know people who literally buy and sell stuff on WoW, its what they like and thats their deal so let them crack on.
Ive played a few games with player to player trades only, what you will get is people standing in towns spamming what they have for sale which isnt to big of a deal really but eventually a guild of traders will form and given enough time they will control the economy. Now I don't know if you've noticed in the world but one party controlling an economy usually ends up bad! In game terms players can essentially trade their way to the top which is fun for the average player but for people who grind their **** off to get what they have only to be crushed in to the ground by a smart mouth trader is infuriating lol!

Either way I don't mind what happens really both types have pros and cons but either way some trading is a must in my opinion.

GrizzlyAKIMBO
03-04-2013, 10:03 AM
The auction house is one way to go which tbh I like, economy is a massive part of MMOs in my opinion, I know people who literally buy and sell stuff on WoW, its what they like and thats their deal so let them crack on.
Ive played a few games with player to player trades only, what you will get is people standing in towns spamming what they have for sale which isnt to big of a deal really but eventually a guild of traders will form and given enough time they will control the economy. Now I don't know if you've noticed in the world but one party controlling an economy usually ends up bad! In game terms players can essentially trade their way to the top which is fun for the average player but for people who grind their **** off to get what they have only to be crushed in to the ground by a smart mouth trader is infuriating lol!

Either way I don't mind what happens really both types have pros and cons but either way some trading is a must in my opinion.

This whole statement is why in-game economies require careful structure, support, regulation and capping.

Vuule
03-04-2013, 10:26 AM
now im confused... they said that you can only buy boost and cosmetic things with real money, or did i just dream that up.

No, you're correct. What I just hope is that you can't sell those cosmetic things -which you buy with real money- for ingame currency.

IGears
03-04-2013, 10:38 AM
No, you're correct. What I just hope is that you can't sell those cosmetic things -which you buy with real money- for ingame currency.

yeah, i dont think you can but time will tell.