PDA

View Full Version : somthing weird is happning with defiance....

LALLY
04-09-2013, 09:15 PM
looking around the web its easy to find low score reviews of defiance so far, I think the worst somebody has mentioned was a '3'....the one that springs to mind the most is the '6' from oxm....

but if you look elsewhere its a different story, I spend a lot of time on youtube and follow a lot of respected youtubers who do content on video games, one thing I like about these people is that they seem to have more sense then most 'journalists' ive come across so far to do with this game. by that I mean most of them have not reviewed it yet, they have given there opinions of it in its current state and have said they will talk more about the game as it progresses, most of them have said they think its a pretty solid game so far and were surprised by it seeing as how low key of a release it was. i think its unfair to review an mmo during its first week. Reviewers should give an honest opinion of a game, but i think its unfair to give a score to an mmo during its first week.

Plus a 6?!?! oxm also gave colonial marines a 6! its literally mind boggling

TommathyusRex
04-09-2013, 09:24 PM
To be fair, it's kind of hard to judge an MMO in its first week or so. Games like these tend to evolve, grow, and become something else entirely. So far I've been enjoying the game very much and that's really all that matters to me, regardless of what journalists and reviewers may say about it.

x Togath x
04-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Actually a 6 from OXM isn't too shocking that ****** Ryan McCaffe is senior editor. He can't review a game with two hands a flashlight and a second pair of hands. He gave chrome hounds a 4.5 case he never understood that that game was all about multiplayer. He has given a lot of games low score because he hasn't seen the true power in a game. OXM hasn't been a scent magazine since the original editor left to work for bungi back about 7 years ago.

Doe
04-09-2013, 09:26 PM
looking around the web its easy to find low score reviews of defiance so far, I think the worst somebody has mentioned was a '3'....the one that springs to mind the most is the '6' from oxm....

but if you look elsewhere its a different story, I spend a lot of time on youtube and follow a lot of respected youtubers who do content on video games, one thing I like about these people is that they seem to have more sense then most 'journalists' ive come across so far to do with this game. by that I mean most of them have not reviewed it yet, they have given there opinions of it in its current state and have said they will talk more about the game as it progresses, most of them have said they think its a pretty solid game so far and were surprised by it seeing as how low key of a release it was. i think its unfair to review an mmo during its first week. Reviewers should give an honest opinion of a game, but i think its unfair to give a score to an mmo during its first week.

If you play the game and enjoy it then what does it matter what the reviews say?

Taaltos
04-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Review are hogwash. Especially 7 days after an MMO Launch.

N3C70V01D
04-09-2013, 09:27 PM

I do hope IGN/Gamestop and others review this game as awfull,i'm selfish like that,don't want anymore users crowding already over populated areas of the game increasing the lag even more....

Zyvaks
04-09-2013, 09:28 PM
oooh, remember that one review that said borderlands 2 was a failure cuz it wasn't like cod?
i had never laughed so hard in my life!

LALLY
04-09-2013, 09:28 PM
i personally would love scores to be abolished all together, id much rather a good article describing a game, what the reviewer liked, didn't like, how the game ran for him/her, etc etc etc, i think scores are misleading and they are more to do with that persons preference rather than an honest review of the product.

LALLY
04-09-2013, 09:29 PM
If you play the game and enjoy it then what does it matter what the reviews say?

it doesn't matter to me, i just feel its lazy and misleading

Taaltos
04-09-2013, 09:30 PM
This is what made me not give to craps about reviews.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/30/rumor-gamespots-editorial-director-fired-over-kane-and-lynch-rev/

and that's the one we know about. How many other deals like that go down?

LALLY
04-09-2013, 09:31 PM
I do hope IGN/Gamestop and others review this game as awfull,i'm selfish like that,don't want anymore users crowding already over populated areas of the game increasing the lag even more....

and i was just trying to point out how reviwers seem to not rate it but its a different story with gamers......

LALLY
04-09-2013, 09:35 PM
This is what made me not give to craps about reviews.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/30/rumor-gamespots-editorial-director-fired-over-kane-and-lynch-rev/

and that's the one we know about. How many other deals like that go down?

i think gaming journalism should be a bit more responsible when it comes to reviewing games, like i said, scores should not exist, one mans score should not dictate whether a developer looses his job or not....a fair REVIEW is all id like, metacritic is the worst.....'this game is a 7.3/10'................'this ones 7.4/10' ......what a load of nonsence

Fir3cr4ck3r2
04-09-2013, 09:42 PM
i don't think they actually play the game, and if they do they're those people who stand around in the spawn area for 3 hours...

RLStroud
04-09-2013, 09:57 PM
I could write 10 pages on why game reviews are a load of crap. I will say that if this game was called Call of Duty: Defiance, IGN would give it a 9/10 just on the title alone lol. I gave up on reviews from big name gaming sites/magazines a long time ago. Now I usually just search on Youtube for gameplays and if that piques my interest I'll look more into the game and go from there. Or in cases like Defiance I'll try a demo or beta if I can. I wasn't remotely interested in Defiance until I got into the Beta, but it quickly became a release day buy for me, and I have been very happy with the game.

LALLY
04-09-2013, 10:01 PM
I could write 10 pages on why game reviews are a load of crap. I will say that if this game was called Call of Duty: Defiance, IGN would give it a 9/10 just on the title alone lol. I gave up on reviews from big name gaming sites/magazines a long time ago. Now I usually just search on Youtube for gameplays and if that piques my interest I'll look more into the game and go from there. Or in cases like Defiance I'll try a demo or beta if I can. I wasn't remotely interested in Defiance until I got into the Beta, but it quickly became a release day buy for me, and I have been very happy with the game.

same here, gaming is becoming like music in many ways, over exposure of rubbish and the habit to disregard anything interesting as crap....

Dragonus
04-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Totally, that is an awesome point, if you like the game, who cares what reviewers say?

Taaltos
04-09-2013, 10:04 PM
I think Word of mouth will really help this game, as opposed to cackeyed reviews.

Krazee DD
04-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Actually a 6 from OXM isn't too shocking that ****** Ryan McCaffe is senior editor. He can't review a game with two hands a flashlight and a second pair of hands. He gave chrome hounds a 4.5 case he never understood that that game was all about multiplayer. He has given a lot of games low score because he hasn't seen the true power in a game. OXM hasn't been a scent magazine since the original editor left to work for bungi back about 7 years ago.

Wtf they gave Chromehounds 4.5!? I'm bout to slap someone.

Scorpio989
04-09-2013, 11:02 PM
This game is great for the Xbox simply because their is no other option in terms of MMOs. But if your playing on a PC or PS3... This game is just awful. Honestly I find myself forgetting its even an MMO when I play it. When compared to other games, this game is not even remotely impressive.

LALLY
04-09-2013, 11:07 PM
This game is great for the Xbox simply because their is no other option in terms of MMOs. But if your playing on a PC or PS3... This game is just awful. Honestly I find myself forgetting its even an MMO when I play it. When compared to other games, this game is not even remotely impressive.

yeh i get what ur saying, i love consoles because im more into just sitting on my sofa and playing games so a mmo on xbox really appealed to me, if i was a PC gamer i would probably have more of an mmo experience in a minecraft server, but i still love the game anyway

lemieux
04-10-2013, 12:47 AM

Actually Ryan left to work for IGN for like 6 months or a year ago. Shows you what you know. Huge epic fail.

I do agree he is out of touch. On his podcasts for OXM he came off very condensing often and very entitled. Anything he says is with a grain of salt.

But what I'm happy with is Trion runs the site here very well. Take a look at how poorly -- and I do mean POORLY -- 343 Industries s running Halo Waypoint. It has become a **** ghetto. Any self respecting Halo fan would not be caught dead there.

Yes. 343 Industries is that bad running Waypoint.

Disgusting.

Predator
04-10-2013, 12:56 AM
Bad reviews donīt matter to me. I play because I have fun and not because journalists (they are no real gamers) say it`s bad. For example gametrailers always give CoD-games the best reviews/scores. Why that? I hate CoD since MW II because itīs everytime the same, nothing really new, stupid AI, unrealistic gunplay and bad graphics, the only thing I like about Black Ops and Black Ops 2 is the zombie-mode because with 3 friends it is awesome and i have fun with it. Itīs also a matter of taste, and Defiance tastes really delicious in MY mouth! :)

BunkeredSphinx
04-10-2013, 12:59 AM

with journo's its how much you pay them, if you are owned by a loved big player(EA loved by media).
look at COD for years it has got 10/10 from most reviews but its not changed or progressed in last 4 outings.
I always take any review with pinch of salt.

LALLY
04-10-2013, 01:05 AM
Bad reviews donīt matter to me. I play because I have fun and not because journalists (they are no real gamers) say it`s bad. For example gametrailers always give CoD-games the best reviews/scores. Why that? I hate CoD since MW II because itīs everytime the same, nothing really new, stupid AI, unrealistic gunplay and bad graphics, the only thing I like about Black Ops and Black Ops 2 is the zombie-mode because with 3 friends it is awesome and i have fun with it. Itīs also a matter of taste, and Defiance tastes really delicious in MY mouth! :)

yeh totally, i think one of the main points i wanted to make with this post tho is how reviewers opinions can be so different now to gamers, its becoming a wider divide of opinion the more mainstream gaming is becoming......what i mean is, they are becoming more and more full of bull****

Ace7248
04-10-2013, 01:46 AM
i personally would love scores to be abolished all together, id much rather a good article describing a game, what the reviewer liked, didn't like, how the game ran for him/her, etc etc etc, i think scores are misleading and they are more to do with that persons preference rather than an honest review of the product.
Ever heard of Yahtzee? Lol I love his "reviews"

Predator
04-10-2013, 01:53 AM
yeh totally, i think one of the main points i wanted to make with this post tho is how reviewers opinions can be so different now to gamers, its becoming a wider divide of opinion the more mainstream gaming is becoming......what i mean is, they are becoming more and more full of bull****

So true, just look @ metacritic and compare the journalists reviews with the gamers. They are really differing. I also have to say that I often played games that got bashed by reviews really hard and in the end I enjoyed them. Let me be clear, knowing very much gamers I can say reviews are almost needless for the majority of gamers, because they are very often better informed than game journalists. Maybe for new or younger gamers. xD

Big Bear
04-10-2013, 02:35 AM
Personally, I really hate Metacritic. It's had a terrible effect on the industry. The user reviews on there are a bad joke. Filled with trolling idiots, marketeers and white knights.The scoring system is a joke and we now have a situation where people actually don't get paid if they don't get a high enough score on that cancerous blight. Disgusting

Predator
04-10-2013, 02:43 AM
Personally, I really hate Metacritic.

I hate it too but there you can see the big differences between journalists and gamers.

Big Bear
04-10-2013, 03:33 AM
A few years back I would have agreed with you. In the last 2 maybe 3 years the user reviews section has become a magnet for idiots and publicists. Occasionally games do get the score they deserve like Aliens. It's quite hard to find a site these days that has balanced reviews and keeps the kiddies out.

Flavvor
04-10-2013, 03:39 AM
Reviews... The problem with game reviews is they are always biest. What the reviewer doesn't like I may like, Same with Movie reviews. Review should be called opinions not reviews because we all know they're giving there opinion not a review.

I will say Twitch is great if you can find they game your looking to buy. Usually you can always find a stream of the game when it first comes out. You can watch someone play the game and ask questions most of the time. Then you can make up your own mind if that's the game for you.

On the COD and Black Ops thing. I stoped buying them because there just a 60 dollar expansion. Same with any of the sports games. I like Pve more then PvP so I get bored after a couple of rounds. That's my opinion not a review....lol

bikditi
04-10-2013, 03:46 AM
I agree totally. And with the ppl who have beat it in the first week...I just say really???

Taaltos
04-10-2013, 03:48 AM
Ever heard of Yahtzee? Lol I love his "reviews"

His reviews are 100% his cantankerous opinion. xD

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation

Predator
04-10-2013, 03:52 AM
A few years back I would have agreed with you. In the last 2 maybe 3 years the user reviews section has become a magnet for idiots and publicists. Occasionally games do get the score they deserve like Aliens. It's quite hard to find a site these days that has balanced reviews and keeps the kiddies out.

For example army of two on xbox: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/army-of-two-the-devils-cartel

2 positive journalists reviews
30 mixed journalists reviews
6 bad journalists reviews

21 positive user reviews
no mixed user reviews
5 negative user reviews

That tells me a lot.

Gamers say, you either hate or you like it and the majority has fun with it.

Journalists say that they have mixed feelings about it.

I donīt need reviews and I donīt give a shtako about em, I just wanted to show where the difference is. I rent almost every game I have interest in and try to inform me months before the release. An actual example for an overall bad reviewed game is The Walking Dead: Survival instinct. I watched the reviews and was shocked, rented it and had my fun with it. 2 days later I bought it, I know it`s not perfect and lacks polishing but there is no game like that out and I still have fun with that one, even if it could be a lot better if the publisher had not rushed the game and provided more money for it.

Taaltos
04-10-2013, 03:56 AM
For example army of two on xbox: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/army-of-two-the-devils-cartel

2 positive journalists reviews
30 mixed journalists reviews
6 bad journalists reviews

21 positive user reviews
no mixed user reviews
5 negative user reviews

That tells me a lot.

Gamers say, you either hate or you like it and the majority has fun with it.

Journalists say that they have mixed feelings about it.

I donīt need reviews and I donīt give a shtako about em, I just wanted to show where the difference is. I rent almost every game I have interest in and try to inform me months before the release. An actual example for an overall bad reviewed game is The Walking Dead: Survival instinct. I watched the reviews and was shocked, rented it and had my fun with it. 2 days later I bought it, I know it`s not perfect and lacks polishing but there is no game like that out and I still have fun with that one, even if it could be a lot better if the publisher had not rushed the game and provided more money for it.

I LOVED the first Army of Two. :) Hadn't played Army of Two.....two?

Elastik Spastik
04-10-2013, 04:28 AM
I never go off reviews. Reviews are just one persons opinion and different people like different things.

Predator
04-10-2013, 04:30 AM
hehe Taaltos me too, first one was the best of them, the second one the 40th day was okay and the new one devils cartell has some bugs and issues, apart from them itīs good for some hours co-op action.