PDA

View Full Version : Destromathe interview on mmobomb.com

Infinity Eagle
03-09-2018, 03:45 AM
A few interesting things in this interview.
https://www.mmobomb.com/interview-producer-matt-destromathe-pettit-answers-defiance-2050-questions/

This one tells how they expect to make money from 2050.

MM: How has Trion Worlds approached F2P monetization then, given the current gaming climate being very anti-loot box?

MP: When talking about the best F2P games out there in today’s market, there is a key element that they all share: everything in-game is obtainable through gameplay. When creating Defiance 2050 from the ground up, this is something that we wanted to be sure to implement, ensuring that any monetized gains players could obtain would only provide a faster route to obtaining that special item, class, or outfit. This philosophy spurred many changes to in-game systems to accommodate the completely free experience. Gone are the days of RNG determining your fate and possibly making a purchase from the store feel like a loss, rather than a gain. Defiance 2050 sets out to make sure that if you decide to support the game through the store, you’ll never feel disappointed, and it never feels like you are required to do so.

So if you can get everything in game by just playing, you can get it faster by paying. Speculating example would be, it takes 40 hours of game play to get item x, or you can PAY to get it Now.
That is how they are going to make money off 2050 by selling shortcuts and cosmetics.

I guess they expect us to use the Valor to buy stuff in 2050 that we ALREADY HAVE in D1.
In Defiance 2050, we plan to offer special cosmetics such as outfits, titles, character boosts, and vehicle skins for purchase with Valor Commendations. For example, the Red VBI Infiltrator outfit (see image above) is just one of many exclusive rewards you can unlock. Since these are rewards for the players of Defiance, we want to hear from you Ark Hunters! Head over to our official forums and let us know your thoughts on the kinds of rewards you would like to spend your Valor Commendations on. The Defiance team wants to ensure the current players are rewarded for their efforts and we hope to see them continue the fight in Defiance 2050.
I already got this outfit from BUYING the Ultimate Gamestop Edition of the game in 2013, and that cost $150.

I wonder how many people are just going to quit and not going to put up with this BS.

konstantinov
03-09-2018, 03:51 AM
It's amazing that they're under the impression none of us know how to use google to find these interviews ourselves. How many times just in the last 6 months has the community been first to report things before Trion? How many times have we been right over 5 years when we were told otherwise? How many times have we received an apology for "never going to happen" or "working as intended"? It's just flat out shameful.

Johnny Gatt
03-09-2018, 04:03 AM
I am not sticking up for Trion, but I will chime in on this with my own obsevations.
We as players are the ones to blame for this type of ftp model. How many times have we seen people begging in zone for scrip, guns, gear etc?? All of these items are available by simply playing the game.

We live in a time when people, especially younger gamers are accustomed to instant gratification. I remember one day there was a high number of sword beggars in zone. Py was carrying the Carving Knife at the time. I pointed this out in zone. My comment had no effect. While some players would grind for the pg to get a CK, others still find it easier to expect someone to give them one for free. That way, they get a sword without having to grind for the pg or scrip.

We all have different styles of play. There are those of us that have the biggest baddest toys because we played and earned them. There are others that have the same toys, but bought them with scrip/bits/trades with far less effort. There is no right or wrong way to obtain items in game, it simply comes down to how you go about it.

konstantinov
03-09-2018, 04:28 AM
I am not sticking up for Trion, but I will chime in on this with my own obsevations.
We as players are the ones to blame for this type of ftp model. How many times have we seen people begging in zone for scrip, guns, gear etc?? All of these items are available by simply playing the game.

We live in a time when people, especially younger gamers are accustomed to instant gratification. I remember one day there was a high number of sword beggars in zone. Py was carrying the Carving Knife at the time. I pointed this out in zone. My comment had no effect. While some players would grind for the pg to get a CK, others still find it easier to expect someone to give them one for free. That way, they get a sword without having to grind for the pg or scrip.

We all have different styles of play. There are those of us that have the biggest baddest toys because we played and earned them. There are others that have the same toys, but bought them with scrip/bits/trades with far less effort. There is no right or wrong way to obtain items in game, it simply comes down to how you go about it.

I often get called a scrub because I won't hand things over. It's well known that I have a large inventory with some fairly nice things but when I do pull swords from the runners, I look them over to see what bonuses they have and then typically vendor them. Some may ask why would you do that? There's always people wanting swords. I'll enlighten those that don't know or understand why. In the real world for most of us we have to EARN things; we're not entitled to anything and some people work horrendous hours/jobs just to make a living. I already work and pay taxes which helps our economy thrive and provide assistance to those that need it. Why would I need to support someone when gaming is suppose to be a leisurely activity? Simple answer: I don't have to. I am entitled to that. If people didn't spend money in defiance Trion would shut the servers down. It's expensive to keep servers running believe me, I've looked into Ark servers. Now where in lays the problem is Cost vs Profit. In the business world if you can't turn a minimum of a 30% profit then most times you'll walk away. Everything revolves around the dollar and its our dollars that keep the servers running.

There's always a fairly constant stream of people begging for guns/scrip/swords in Defiance ps3 NA. I choose to mute these people. The problem with giving things to people for free is there is no appreciation and often leads down the road of expecting things for free. So by giving things away for free you're actually feeding into the "entitlement". I'll be honest, there's nothing more rewarding than working hard and earning something for yourself. That new car, your house, that dream vacation.

Lots of people like to say "you spent thousands of dollars of your mom's/dad's money". I wish you were right but unfortunately for me (fortunate for them) this isn't the case. I wake up at 445 AM M-F for work (and no I don't work fast food, I'm a service manager for a small company doing $500k+ a year in gross revenue with a 35% profit margin {5 total employees}). I'm responsible for scheduling everything on a day to day basis and if I fail to do my job then there's major problems. So when I choose to spend money on video games, I do so without hesitation. This false sense of entitlement will only carry you so far and once you hit the real (working) world, you'll realize you're expendable. Mommy and daddy can't get you that promotion at work and your employer will be quick to can you if you're a problem.

What's the old saying?

Work hard. Play hard.

PS- Am I entitled to super JPs over anyone else? Nope, I just spend more.

KevinVonBach
03-09-2018, 06:37 AM
The problem with giving things to people for free is there is no appreciation and often leads down the road of expecting things for free. So by giving things away for free you're actually feeding into the "entitlement". I'll be honest, there's nothing more rewarding than working hard and earning something for yourself. That new car, your house, that dream vacation.

Quoted for truth.

Well said!

Colts87
03-09-2018, 08:29 AM
I often get called a scrub because I won't hand things over. It's well known that I have a large inventory with some fairly nice things but when I do pull swords from the runners, I look them over to see what bonuses they have and then typically vendor them. Some may ask why would you do that? There's always people wanting swords. I'll enlighten those that don't know or understand why. In the real world for most of us we have to EARN things; we're not entitled to anything and some people work horrendous hours/jobs just to make a living. I already work and pay taxes which helps our economy thrive and provide assistance to those that need it. Why would I need to support someone when gaming is suppose to be a leisurely activity? Simple answer: I don't have to. I am entitled to that. If people didn't spend money in defiance Trion would shut the servers down. It's expensive to keep servers running believe me, I've looked into Ark servers. Now where in lays the problem is Cost vs Profit. In the business world if you can't turn a minimum of a 30% profit then most times you'll walk away. Everything revolves around the dollar and its our dollars that keep the servers running.

There's always a fairly constant stream of people begging for guns/scrip/swords in Defiance ps3 NA. I choose to mute these people. The problem with giving things to people for free is there is no appreciation and often leads down the road of expecting things for free. So by giving things away for free you're actually feeding into the "entitlement". I'll be honest, there's nothing more rewarding than working hard and earning something for yourself. That new car, your house, that dream vacation.

Lots of people like to say "you spent thousands of dollars of your mom's/dad's money". I wish you were right but unfortunately for me (fortunate for them) this isn't the case. I wake up at 445 AM M-F for work (and no I don't work fast food, I'm a service manager for a small company doing $500k+ a year in gross revenue with a 35% profit margin {5 total employees}). I'm responsible for scheduling everything on a day to day basis and if I fail to do my job then there's major problems. So when I choose to spend money on video games, I do so without hesitation. This false sense of entitlement will only carry you so far and once you hit the real (working) world, you'll realize you're expendable. Mommy and daddy can't get you that promotion at work and your employer will be quick to can you if you're a problem.

What's the old saying?

Work hard. Play hard.

Well said.

Razoreddie
03-09-2018, 08:37 AM
So what I saw was that if you wanted to work your way up with in game money to buy a fancy suit, you can. If you choose to buy "boosts" that shorten the time needed, to buy a sweet hat, you can do that too. That's assuming the "boosts" in question do what they do in most MMOs and provide extra xp gain/ money gain. Most FTP games do the same thing in my experience. They have to make money to keep the game open. I get folks are bummed about some of their stuff not coming over and that maybe you paid some real world cash for that. Bottom line is likely Defiance 1.0 is not making/losing money. We know player base is way down. Trion has two choices. Close it down completely and move on to the next game, at which point none of your goodies matter. OR they can update the game and hope that it makes money so they can keep it open. I usually run as a Patron because I like to support a game I like. What I'm seeing so far is just what every MMO is going to these days. I, for one, am glad there won't be a weapons market in the store anymore. No way I can compete with that kind of thing.

JOCCO5150
03-09-2018, 09:57 AM

What's the old saying?

Work hard. Play hard.

Well said Kon

Quebra Regra
03-09-2018, 10:54 AM
I should NOT defend TRION, but at least they're transfering our account upgrades. it would be nice if they gave us our cosmetics too... Better than what I got from DESTINY 2, which was only a slightly ruptured anus.

I understand F2P, and the need to monetize. I'll withhold any really scathing comments until I see the gameplay, etc.

defiancegame
03-09-2018, 11:29 AM
We as players are the ones to blame for this type of ftp model. How many times have we seen people begging in zone for scrip, guns, gear etc??

Players that beg for items can be muted and ignored. But the ones that call for nerfs and removal of some good and fun aspects of the game are the ones that we should talk about. Why has PvP got nerfed to death? Why did event drops get removed? Why did some coop maps get nerfed? Why did farming spots get nerfed as well as some weapon types? I'll just stop here to avoid getting banned.

r1p
03-09-2018, 11:50 AM
I should NOT defend TRION, but at least they're transfering our account upgrades. it would be nice if they gave us our cosmetics too... Better than what I got from DESTINY 2, which was only a slightly ruptured anus.

I understand F2P, and the need to monetize. I'll withhold any really scathing comments until I see the gameplay, etc.

I never really thought that clan names would transfer but as more information from Trion is being released I'm fairly certain that our toon names will not be transferred either. There are multiple sources that state pretty much the same exact thing:

Can I transfer my character or items to Defiance 2050?
While Defiance players will be able to earn Valor for Defiance 2050, substantial changes in progression, mission structure, and the game’s economy prevent the transferring of characters and items between the original game and Defiance 2050.

Also in the original FAQ thread I created 2 posts about 30 minutes apart and the community manager (Mobi) addressed my first post which was about the Beta program but ignored my second which asked whether our toon names would transfer. I'm betting that when we log into 2050 on release day our toons won't be waiting for us. We'll have to create them all over again and if our names are taken then we'll just be SOL.

konstantinov
03-09-2018, 12:27 PM
Am I the only one that saw the lag? I face palmed soooo hard.

DEATHBRINGER210
03-09-2018, 12:33 PM
i also bought the Ultimate Gamestop Edition , and the apex sludge hammer bundle, .

Combo Breaker
03-09-2018, 01:03 PM

I did. Ominous sight.

stoodakiss
03-09-2018, 01:10 PM
the red vbi was available in like 4 different bundles throughout defiance.

Verga DeFuego
03-09-2018, 02:44 PM
The way I read the interview, it sounds like they might be selling weapons. The big change is that everything can be obtained without paying, but you can get the items faster by paying. Also RNG isn't going to be a big factor like before. These all sound like positive changes.

The comments in today's livestream make it sound like the valor points we are going to get cannot be used to purchase weapons.

If weapons are purchasable in 2050 why can't we use valor to buy them? I really hope this isn't the case. I would feel ripped off if weapons are purchasable, but we can't purchase them with valor.

defiancegame
03-10-2018, 01:01 AM
So what's the END-game for 2050? Is it PG?

LLEE
03-10-2018, 02:51 AM
Well said Kon I feel the same way

Chump Norris
03-10-2018, 03:42 AM

Yeah! But did you see how many items he had in his inventory? lol

Jokes aside, not a great sign...

Alahali
03-10-2018, 05:00 AM
"I'm betting that when we log into 2050 on release day our toons won't be waiting for us. We'll have to create them all over again and if our names are taken then we'll just be SOL".

It gives me peace of mind to know that nobody wrote my id correctly .... never! (alaha, ali, alahi, alhi, aliha).